Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 How to Make Pretty Sims

I have come a long LONG way in making better looking sims in Sims 3. I learned about this skin in one of the videos linked below and it made such a huge difference!

https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/post/87924454452/i-was-originally-inspired-to-recreate-a-skin-like

I feel like I might be able to find some more hairs that I like better. I need to learn more about meshes I think. The ones that I have now are acceptable to me for now.

I HATE the shiny clothes. I need to work on that.

What are your must-have CAS mods for the Sims 3?

These two videos were the ones that helped me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rnx0feW0Wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plie6bfwDFY&t=20s

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited July 2023
    One of the cc skins I use is Kurasoberina's HD1 Primer Don't use her UHD Primer unless you have a gaming computer because it's maxed out I have a potato (albeit a potato with 16GB of RAM) so I'm using her HD1 (1K face+2K bodies). And I have a multitude of PralineSims' makeup/eyes etc cc.

Hence the reason my River McIrish has gone from looking like this - your typical EA created um...sim :mrgreen: -
    fk6z8bY.jpg
    to:
    9nOoZNn.png

River and her man...in my Legacy ~evil smirk~
    LNMaC2G.png

One of the other things to do is "master your sliders". That will result in some truly unique sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    A combination of knowing how to use sliders and/or using good CC is a surefire way to make good looking sims.

I use a lot of CC for my sims and that's because they're fantasy based. (Think angel and demon sims)
    BqjtKou.jpg
    EFnpE5Q.jpg

If you're looking for some CC there's a blog I use that has a ton of CC on there. It's called Kreative Sims 3 CC Finds. It's a hub for CC and you can find pretty much anything on there. A lot of clothes and cosmetics I use came from there. There's also Mod the Sims and Sims Resource has some stuff if you're willing to trawl through the obscene amount of ads. (I recommend an ad blocker at the least if you plan on going there)

• Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    edited July 2023
    One of the cc skins I use is Kurasoberina's HD1 Primer Don't use her UHD Primer unless you have a gaming computer because it's maxed out I have a potato (albeit a potato with 16GB of RAM) so I'm using her HD1 (1K face+2K bodies). And I have a multitude of PralineSims' makeup/eyes etc cc.

One of the other things to do is "master your sliders". That will result in some truly unique sims.

WOW! These skins and your Sims are amazing! I do have a gaming laptop. It is a bit of a Frankenstein. The seller maxed out some 2 year old gaming laptops and was able to sell them for less than the newer ones with lower specs. I might be able to handle the UHD. I am going to do some experimenting! The last Windows update messed something up in my laptop. Nividia has updated a second time since the update and it is better after the second Nividia update. I have had some lag for the first time, but hope it will go away soon.

I find the Sims 3 sliders easier to use than the Sims 4 method. I was only able to figure out the Sims 4 method AFTER I played a bit with the sliders in Sims 3. Sliders make sense to me. I like them.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A combination of knowing how to use sliders and/or using good CC is a surefire way to make good looking sims.

I use a lot of CC for my sims and that's because they're fantasy based. (Think angel and demon sims)

If you're looking for some CC there's a blog I use that has a ton of CC on there. It's called Kreative Sims 3 CC Finds. It's a hub for CC and you can find pretty much anything on there. A lot of clothes and cosmetics I use came from there. There's also Mod the Sims and Sims Resource has some stuff if you're willing to trawl through the obscene amount of ads. (I recommend an ad blocker at the least if you plan on going there)

Wow wow WOW!!! What a massive treasure chest of links! I am so excited! And your Sims are stunning!

In the Sims 4, I was content with vanilla cartoons, but the difference in Sims 3 between vanilla and CC is so extreme that I cannot stop myself from transforming the piles of pudding into life-like pieces of art. This is FUN in a way that I never experienced in Sims 4. I am hooked on the Sims 3.
  • Options
    It appears that the UHD Primer is not a default. I am watching some videos to try and learn how to use non-default skins. There is so much to learn. I don't have any time or interest in Sims 4 horses today. I want vampires and zombies. I never played the vampires in Sims 4 even though I have the pack. It is at the top of my list for Sims 3, though, after zombies.
  • Options
    I just installed the Kurasoberina HD+ default skin and the Simsl3gacies Misty HQ No Glow 169 mod. I am speechless! How is this even possible? The ears and nose are translucent.
  • Options
    I'm not the most tech savy, but I have some knowledge with installing mods :tongue:

When you installed the default skin did you place it in the regular packages folder or the overrides folder? Default replacement skins go in your overrides folder. Also make sure to delete the following files from your My documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

simCompositorCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    CASPartCache.package

Your game will make new ones when you start it again.

As for the second mod, I checked it out and it changes the graphic rules of the game to get higher quality details on sims. Along with removing the odd glow from EA's lighting. If you don't know where the graphic rules are it's in Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/ The Sims 3/ Game/ Bin

Did you backup your regular graphic rules before replacing it with the new one? If you have it try putting the original back and seeing how sims look with just the skin installed. If sims look normal than it's the second mod causing the translucency issues. If you didn't backup the original I'm not sure how to get a new one.

• Options
    The skin is translucent in a good way, like the ears and nostrils on a very expensive doll made of silicone. I saw some of the pics on the website and I doubted that it would look that way in my game. It does.

I was hoping I did it right to put the default skins in the override folder. Thank you so much for confirming! I read awhile back about the difference between overrides and regular packages, but none of the videos that I watched said to put the default skins and eyelashes and such in the overrides folder. The non-defaults go into the regular packages folder? I have not installed any of those yet. I wanted to do as little as possible until I was sure what went where.

Thank you also for specifying the cache files that I need to remove. I assumed that I needed to remove some, but had no idea which ones. I was happy that I did not crash the game without deleting them.

I did save the graphicsrules.sgr file, but I do not think that I need it. Everything looks better than I was expecting. I had no idea the game could look like this. I have the Burntwaffles Frozen lighting installed, too.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ah, I thought you meant translucent as in your game was having graphical issues and your sims had gone ghost. :wink:

Yes, default replacements go into the overrides folder whereas non-defaults go into regular packages.

Glad to hear that everything is going well for you in your foray to modding the Sims 3!
  • Options
    Ah, I thought you meant translucent as in your game was having graphical issues and your sims had gone ghost. :wink:

Yes, default replacements go into the overrides folder whereas non-defaults go into regular packages.

Glad to hear that everything is going well for you in your foray to modding the Sims 3!

I think I am over the worst of the hump to switching. I still have a lot to learn and tweak, but when I saw my Sim and the world around her looking that good, I am motivated to keep going. You all have been so helpful!

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    No problem. Welcome to Sims 3. Have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We’ll try and answer them and if we can’t we’ll do our best to help you search for the answer. 😁👍
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I put default replacements in with the regular packages and they work just fine.

• Options
    No problem. Welcome to Sims 3. Have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We’ll try and answer them and if we can’t we’ll do our best to help you search for the answer. 😁👍

You all have been GREAT!
    wendyyi1 wrote: »
    I put default replacements in with the regular packages and they work just fine.

I have been trying to better understand the overrides folder in both Sims 3 and 4. Only once did I see a modder require an overrides folder in Sims 4, and she did not include instructions how to do it. In the Sims 3, if I download a mod folder, it automatically comes with an overrides folder, so I take it very seriously. Maybe I take the overrides folder too seriously in Sims 3 and not seriously enough in Sims 4. I thought the games worked differently, but maybe they don't.

• Options

They can work in either one, I just prefer the overrides for replacements since it gives those mods priority over regular ones.
  • Options

They can work in either one, I just prefer the overrides for replacements since it gives those mods priority over regular ones.

My mods folder is getting very large. I want to set it up the best way possible.

In about a week, I will remove my entire Sims 3 folder and start fresh. This is all practice.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited July 2023
    I use Mango Smoothie as my default skin. It's very smooth ( as its name suggests ) and soft. This is it, on my sim Minnie.

3Z19MI0.jpg

As for the shiny overlay, this mod changed my sim life, if you haven't seen it before - Remove Stencils & Overlay by Velocitygrass

You can use it to remove the shiny specular from clothing and objects, as well as remove ugly unwanted stencils on the same. SO MANY more outfit pieces and objects became more usable in game because of this mod, it is a godsend.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    I use Mango Smoothie as my default skin. It's very smooth ( as its name suggests ) and soft. This is it, on my sim Minnie.

As for the shiny overlay, this mod changed my sim life, if you haven't seen it before - Remove Stencils & Overlay by Velocitygrass

Thanks! I installed Mango Smoothie as a non-default skin and changed my current Sim to this skin. I am going to leave the default skin as Kurasoberina HDPlus.

I am still figuring out how to make the stencil remover work. I knew that I had heard of something to remove the shine from the clothes. Thanks for the link!

Your Minnie is beautiful!

• Options
    Pary wrote: »

I found an excellent video tutorial series for this mod. I am posting it in case any other newbies are following this thread. It really helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJeyOgkyxro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvl_jGv4X4&t=25s
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited July 2023
    Oh for hairs I love S-club and Leahlillith on TSR, and I also use Mango smoothie (non-default though) and it’s one of my fave skin overlays.
  • Options
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Oh for hairs I love S-club and Leahlillith on TSR, and I also use Mango smoothie (non-default though) and it’s one of my fave skin overlays.

I am spending quite a bit of time on hairs today. Somehow I missed the leahlillith ones. Thanks!