Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Runaway without BEING Runaway??

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,900 Member
I figure many are familiar with the Teen Runaway Challenge. It's essentially a version of rags to riches.

I have been playing in CAS with a dark skinned, teenaged vampire. One who has been attacked and turned recently. The original backstory was to have her flee home in order to protect her family. To that end, I began to make her mother. Mum (who is human) has actually turned out pretty cool too. A painter with a freegan/hippie streak. I haven't decided if to add a sibling yet but am toying with the idea of playing at least both the vamp and her mother.

What I don't know is if to:

- attempt some sort of rotational play (pros: use of the teen vamps carefully curated runaway outfits and the extra challenge of playing her alone while also avoiding running into mum... cons: rotational play hasn't worked well for me in the past, I'm too much a micromanager)

- have them both in a single active household with some degree of separation. e.g., she must absolutely keep all vampire activities private/secret but can still return home, attend school... (pros: micromanaging and enjoyment of both Sims with possibility of play with a younger lifestate to boot. No fiddling with rotational. cons: redundancy of runaway clothes, less challenge financially etc...)

Comments

• Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 555 Member
    edited July 2023
    Would you consider configuring aging so that the active household ages and other played households don't? The benefit is that you won't have to worry about missing part of the other household's life span, you can micromanage everything. One potential issue, if you consider it an issue, is that you'll want to switch between the two households regularly or the lack of aging could be immersion-breaking. I wouldn't go more than one sim-week in one household at a time if you want to avoid this.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    Eleri wrote: »
    Would you consider configuring aging so that the active household ages and other played households don't?

Thanks for the insight @Eleri. I have attempted this in the past and think I know how to do the settings. However they still develop relationships and stuff sometimes while one is away. Then there are holidays. I know one option is to play two week seasons and then do the holiday over for each family/household but...

It's worth thinking about and is the way I would/will play rotation.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    It would be great if we could start a sim that doesn't own a lot. Sleep on park benches, forage for food. That would actually be a challenge. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Arzekial wrote: »
    It would be great if we could start a sim that doesn't own a lot. Sleep on park benches, forage for food. That would actually be a challenge. :D

I have made more than one lot set up for teenage runaways. My latest is Little Falls Nook under my EA ID: moppy14w

There are two versions. One set as a "national park" and one reset to "residential" and off-the-grid. By using off the grid it minimizes bills.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,130 Member
    If rotating weekly doesn't work for you, maybe try rotating every few days. I find that I like things to keep moving when I play rotationally, so I rotate between households every Sunday and Wednesday. It pushes me to actually do things instead of keeping my sim locked away at home. Also, it helps keep things fresh. As I begin to grow bored of one household, it's time to move to the next.

You can also turn off Neighborhood stories, if you haven't already. It won't stop thr household you're playing from meeting new people when you're not playing them but it will stop them from making other decisions.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 964 Member
    Have fun. :)

The sims you don't play at a given moment might knock on the door of the household you are playing or be found at community lots.
    That goes for vampires, too.
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    I love your idea - I did something similar and played it with separate households. So the teen was her own household and I’d play for a while, but occasionally go back to the other household.

I totally get where you’re coming from with the need to micromanage them - in my mind I just liked to imagine them going about their business as usual life without anything particularly outrageous happening while I’m not playing them - unless they bump into ea h other on a lot of course - then I’d act out the drama as appropriate.

Either way I hope you have fun with it!
  • Options
    brizgalbrizgal Posts: 147 Member
    I have a game that seems to be a bit of a combination of RySBI and NRowe. My teenager's off-the-grid lot was set in Newcrest and built like a crumbling home with no facilities or amenities until the teen built them at the art centre, maker space or scavenged them. The lot still had a magnificent garden that had however gone wild with overgrown fountains and statues, and some old stone benches. There was an overgrown pond that was the home to lots of sandflies. Thanks to the overgrown garden there were some vegetables, herbs, fruits and flowers to harvest in the right seasons and the potential to clean the pond and stock it with fish. While cleaning up the garden, she also discovered that there was also a hidden area with four gravestones.

I set one of the lot traits to Private which meant there were very few visitors. The home had a spooky haunted reputation in the neighbourhood which led to several enjoyable gameplay sessions.

I would send the teenager to the EH Community Maker Space (and later in the game to the city for the festivals and the art centre) via Windenberg where I had a small camping area built on a small lot - the fee for staying there (one night on the way to EH or the city and another night on the way home) covered her travel costs to and from EH or the city and her use of the camping ground facilities including on-site tent. The first thing she built at the woodworking table was 4 knife blocks which she used to create a firepit when she got home giving her access to some basic cooking. Sometimes she stayed an extra night at Windenberg, so that she could catch new fish and harvest new plants. Even more valid when she had cleaned up the overgrown pond in the garden where she lived and created a fishing area out of it after the insects, tadpoles and frogs were established. Another advantage of cleaning it up was that the sandflies disappeared.

A totally different version (similar in scrounging for food...) that I played was with a YA sim (scientific career, very logical and technically adept) who was abducted and forced to work for A: First Order; or B: Scoundrels and Smugglers; or C: Resistance. I had a set of rules I had made as to how they lived, when they were "freed" and how long they were at home living normal science and techie life before being recaptured and put to work again. My female sim ended up in a romantic relationship (and ultimately pregnant) after being flirted with autonomously by a Batuu resident - it was an unexpected but interesting side story to her adventure. She eventually earned her freedom, came home and found her child in an "orphanage". She quit science career and sold her rocket ship to finance home renovations to create a bedroom etc for her child. She then became a Freelance programmer to support herself and her child. To earn extra income, she started writing sci-fi and fantasy novels based around her experiences and became a famous author winning several awards and having a string of best sellers.