Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fellow Gardeners, Aaron need some advice.

Planters, planters and yes, even more planters. The patio is becoming a maze, the yard is getting so cluttered.

So Aaron got to thinking, he could at least splice all seasonably related plants that are out of season onto one year round plant (like Sage, I think).

The pros:
    Clear up patio space Less time gardening on sheltered plants

The cons:
    less income per plant

The lot is too small for a full blown greenhouse to accommodate all of these plants so that's not an option.

I could reduce the out of seasons down to one plant per type, but that could still take a lot of space.

So what are your suggestions?

Also, how many of each plant type do you keep?

I have four of each type of the plants I've collected so far. In the past, I've kept only one type of each plant but with the §1,000,000 challenge, I don't want to limit Aaron too much.

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    My sims usually grow whatever is in their inventory, so that means a lot of random plants. I do have some sims that have an apple orchard with several apple trees, but they also have some varied vegetables and such. I don't like much the spliced plants though I suppose they are good at saving space. As for money, once the sims get the money tree, they don't really need to do much gardening for money. If you grow plants for eating, I suppose one plant of each is enough.
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Well with Aaron it's a combination of money and enjoyment.

He and Malcolm never eat the plants and even though Malcolm loves flower arranging, he just buys what he needs...come to think of it, he's so spoiled that it only now occurs to him that he should be using higher quality plants for his arrangements. Sometimes he's such a dunder-head.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited June 2023
    Some of my Sims switch the out-of-season plants into their bunker/basement.

tumblr_onxv44VYr31sdrnnoo3_1280.jpg

d95337bea4fa2aabf0590f897686e8704a3f1991.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I had one sim in a 15x20 lot and there was just no room for a garden. I planted some things straight into the ground along the side of the house but decided to build a greenhouse on the second floor so I could have income during all seasons. I put planters in and started my garden upstairs. Most plants will work indoors, although trees and a few others won't let me plant them under a roof. For those I put the planter outside to plant the tree or whatever and then moved the whole thing indoors. They seem to do fine, although I haven't done this for a while. I haven't tried to garden in a basement.

Planters are a bit pricey, but my sims can build them quite cheaply using the tool table once they get up a few levels. I don't know which packs you might need to have the option to build a planter.

If I'm trying to generate cash I hunt for flowers to plant, concentrating on the ones that make the most cash. In the game I'm playing now Sammy got lucky and found roses in Willow Creek. They make more money than daisies, for sure. Once he was over 10k I let him go to Hensford on Bagley to buy 1 of any likely flowers or plants.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    @Isharell You could splice the tree fruits on smaller plants 🌱
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I had one sim in a 15x20 lot and there was just no room for a garden. I planted some things straight into the ground along the side of the house but decided to build a greenhouse on the second floor so I could have income during all seasons. I put planters in and started my garden upstairs. Most plants will work indoors, although trees and a few others won't let me plant them under a roof. For those I put the planter outside to plant the tree or whatever and then moved the whole thing indoors. They seem to do fine, although I haven't done this for a while. I haven't tried to garden in a basement.

Planters are a bit pricey, but my sims can build them quite cheaply using the tool table once they get up a few levels. I don't know which packs you might need to have the option to build a planter.

If I'm trying to generate cash I hunt for flowers to plant, concentrating on the ones that make the most cash. In the game I'm playing now Sammy got lucky and found roses in Willow Creek. They make more money than daisies, for sure. Once he was over 10k I let him go to Hensford on Bagley to buy 1 of any likely flowers or plants.

You could splice the plants so you could have a different plant growing every season. Personally, I like it when my sims can enjoy their time off from gardening during the winter. I have a sim that grows indoors a single dragon fruit plant for some extra money. That's the only gardening she does.
  • Options
    @Lenny_Ogg I didn't know you could splice trees with smaller plants! @crocobaura I tend to go big when my sims have a hobby. My brain says "why have 1 plant when you can have 20 instead and get rich quicker?" I'll make Sammy do some experimenting with splicing as he levels up as a gardener. It's winter now but once it's spring again in his lot I'll try some more plants outside, before I make his greenhouse bigger and I'll plant some trees. His greenhouse is bigger than the small building he has his bathroom and kitchen in right now! He sleeps in a tent outside, poor kid. :s He's a teen who wants to be a millionaire so he can buy a horse ranch. This boy's got big goals!

• Options
    Yes, splicing plants is a good space saver but you don't get a full yield of any plant that way as it produces only so many fruits per plant in total. At least that's my understanding.

My thinking on splicing is that you splice out of season plants and keep them inside. When the season is about to change, you then plant those fruits outside and repeat for each season. I hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2023
    @PenguinFoop if you have eco living look into getting the vertical planters. Alot of the plants can go in them, but some still need to go in the ground or planters/plant boxes. That way you could line them up along the lot edges or house.
  • Options
    @Starfree yeah I have Eco but I forgot about the vertical planters! Good call!
  • Options
    You're welcome @PenguinFoop 🙂.
  • Options
    MiddayMidday Posts: 32 Member
    Wait I didn't know you could splice more than once! That's cool
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    As I collect more and more plants, I only keep the pricier ones. Time is money. I try to spend my time wisely. Sometimes the most efficient thing to do is limit gardening to make more time to do something else to make money. It seems counterproductive to spend LESS time gardening as you accumulate more skill and rewards, but that is what I do. I just garden a very select group of plants for a small portion of the day and move onto another money-making goal.

The scarecrow does do something, even if you cannot rely upon him.

I am really starting to enjoy following the journey of Aaron. I hope you keep posting!
  • Options
    As I collect more and more plants, I only keep the pricier ones. Time is money. I try to spend my time wisely. Sometimes the most efficient thing to do is limit gardening to make more time to do something else to make money. It seems counterproductive to spend LESS time gardening as you accumulate more skill and rewards, but that is what I do. I just garden a very select group of plants for a small portion of the day and move onto another money-making goal.

I am really starting to enjoy following the journey of Aaron. I hope you keep posting!

I posted some suspicious activity in the §1,000,000 challenge thread. Something strange is happening.
  • Options
    I can't wait to hear what happened next!

I just had my child plant some mushrooms so that she can use them to practice cooking for free on the grill, so she can gain enough skill to cook fish on the grill. The campfire takes too long and she gets burned too often. Mushrooms are cheap and that is both good and bad. Keeping a large stockpile of them in your inventory hardly raises your taxes, but they are almost useless to sell for a profit.

With my teens, I found that I gained skills and completed aspirations quicker, when I had almost no bills. I only started trying to collect money after my teen was a supersim. Being housepoor gets in the way of skillbuilding.
  • Options

@Katofhyrule12 if you have enough satisfaction points get the "free services" reward trait. You can then hire a scheduled gardener for 0 simoleons. They'll take care of watering, weeding, etc (except weekends) & all you need to pretty much do is harvest and evolve plants.
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »

@Katofhyrule12 if you have enough satisfaction points get the "free services" reward trait. You can then hire a scheduled gardener for 0 simoleons. They'll take care of watering, weeding, etc (except weekends) & all you need to pretty much do is harvest and evolve plants.

That's a good point! And since Aaron is now level 10 in gardening, it will free him up to pursue other interests. But he really does enjoy gardening too. Also, Patchy the Scarecrow maintains the outside garden once you befriend.
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »

Interesting! I did not think of that. I have used Patchy, but I think owning him raised my taxes. Same for the bird house and rabbits. Children cannot spray for bugs, so the plants die rather quickly. A gardener hired with free services sounds perfect!

• Options
    brizgalbrizgal Posts: 147 Member
    @Isharell re trees not growing inside. If you make walls medium height or higher, then trees will grow inside in pots or ground (or outside year round ‘sheltered’ under overhanging roof). I’ve also seen the trees growing in a two storey atrium in a very impressive build with stairs and walkways surrounding the atrium with an amazing garden that was a mix of edible and decorative plants. I am currently starting an apocalyptic challenge, living completely underground with a glass roof to some of the complex and medium height walls. Using no mods in the game, I have an apple tree growing because you start with just one of each (fruit, vegetables and herbs) of the seed starter packs as well as one insect or bee hive.
  • Options
    brizgal wrote: »
    @Isharell re trees not growing inside. If you make walls medium height or higher, then trees will grow inside in pots or ground (or outside year round ‘sheltered’ under overhanging roof). I’ve also seen the trees growing in a two storey atrium in a very impressive build with stairs and walkways surrounding the atrium with an amazing garden that was a mix of edible and decorative plants. I am currently starting an apocalyptic challenge, living completely underground with a glass roof to some of the complex and medium height walls. Using no mods in the game, I have an apple tree growing because you start with just one of each (fruit, vegetables and herbs) of the seed starter packs as well as one insect or bee hive.

@brizgal I'll try raising the walls before I plant next time. The issue I had a couple of years ago was they would not germinate indoors. I had to move the planter outside in order to actually plant the tree. once it had started growing I moved it indoors. Now that I am really thinking about it, I did have to raise the walls - thanks for the reminder! :)
  • Options
    brizgalbrizgal Posts: 147 Member
    💐💐💐 You’re very welcome 💐💐💐 There is so much in sims, that it is very easy to forget something you already knew because you are busy discovering new things from new releases or simply haven’t used something for a while. I do it all the time. 🤣
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I don't know.

First, my sims often forget to harvest the plants, meaning the gardener often attempt to plant seeds where there is no room.

Second, sims can even plant seeds from their inventories in the gardens of other households. Rather than going to a vacation destination to harvest some seeds, you might rely on other sims to plant some seeds from vacation worlds in your garden. :)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I garden indoors, on the top floor of the house. Just windows all around, no glass roof. And the walls are tall for trees.