Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to keep family tree when creating new save?

Hello :)

I'm creating a new save and currently saving all my households to my library to move over to the new save later. It suddenly crossed my mind that perhaps my households will no longer recognize each other as family members anymore, since most of them live in separate households. I've played with my current save for many years, and many of my sim families are generations old.

For example, mom lives in one household, her young adult daughter and son lives in two other households. If I save their households as is, will they no longer be mom and daughter and son, or siblings to each other when I place them in the new save? Will the family tree be erased? I would really like to know this before I start the new save. I don't want them to "forget" that they're related, that would make playing with the families meaningless to me.

I thought about moving them all into one household, so that could be a solution if there's no other way.. But we're talking a LOT more than just 8 sims here, so that wouldn't work anyway I guess. So I would have to use cheats or MCCC to ble able to have bigger households. Not sure it's possible to save a large household (with perhaps 20 sims) to the library?

Has anyone got any experience with this that could help me out? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I’ve moved about 16 sims before. I moved them as 2 households to save most of the family connections. After I moved sims between each household and using cas.fulleditmode cheat I connected them to the family again. It’s a somewhat long process but they were connected at the end as usual.
    If it was less than 8 sims I’d move them to 1 household and once in the new save, move them out and recover their money and house using cheats
  • Options
    plauplau Posts: 183 Member
    I’ve moved about 16 sims before. I moved them as 2 households to save most of the family connections. After I moved sims between each household and using cas.fulleditmode cheat I connected them to the family again. It’s a somewhat long process but they were connected at the end as usual.
    If it was less than 8 sims I’d move them to 1 household and once in the new save, move them out and recover their money and house using cheats

Thank you! This is a great solution, although somewhat time consuming. :) Connecting cousins would be a little more complicated I guess.. Got so many of them. Big families. :#

Do you know if the family tree keeps dead relatives, like great grandparents and grandparents? Or are they erased? It's a bit sad if they are, since I like to look back at all the generations sometimes..
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    plau wrote: »

Thank you! This is a great solution, although somewhat time consuming. :) Connecting cousins would be a little more complicated I guess.. Got so many of them. Big families. :#

Do you know if the family tree keeps dead relatives, like great grandparents and grandparents? Or are they erased? It's a bit sad if they are, since I like to look back at all the generations sometimes..

I’m almost positive they are gone. Mine had a blank portrait in the family tree.
    If you’re not opposed to mods, I just remembered I watch a streamer who uses a mod to make adding sims to the family 100x more easier. I’ll add it below, it includes a video as well to see how it works
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/set-family-mod-30225867
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    I had a family that I couldn’t port across.

My 2 sims had a son.. so mom dad and son.
    The man left his wife for Penny Pizazz and had a son and daughter.
    The man died and so did Penny Pizazz.
    The family tree showed that the boys dad was dead, and that Penny was dead, and Penny’s two kids were brother/sister while they were half siblings with the other.

I could move over mom, her son and the mans other son and daughter. The game forgot Penny and their dad. It noted that my sim was the mom of her son and household member of the other 2 but all 3 kids were full brother and sister.

Or I could move over them as two households. Penny’s kids were noted as brother and sister but they had no connection to their half brother at all. Assuming because the connection was their dad who no longer exists in the new save.

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    plau wrote: »

Depends on whether the ghosts still exist, or have been culled or sent to the netherworld. Culling/netherworld erases all traces of that sim in the game, and that spot in the family tree will appear blank. You can keep ghosts around if you have their grave and periodically "strengthen connection to physical world" on the grave. I think interacting with them out in the world in places they happen to appear (in my game this is often nightclubs, or the Spice District on Spooky Day) helps keep them from getting culled for a while too. The game will warn you with a notification that the sim is "fading away" before culling.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Why don’t you just do a save as, call it something different and delete the rest of the sims that aren’t related and you don’t want in your new save? Of course it will have the same lots and things as the other save, but you can always change them, though that can be time consuming too….. just a thought.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    If you use MCCC you can fix the relationships. It's a Sim interaction under Relationships>Add Relationship. I had to do this with my Alien Legacy when my save got corrupted (I assume).
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel