Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A few months later, do you think High School Years enhanced your gameplay?

Hello,

I haven't played Sims 4 since werewolves and wanted to get back into it. I haven't bought High School Years because I don't play with teen Sims that much and wasn't that interested in the active school days thing that is actually the big feature of the EP.
But it does come with many other features.

So, for someone who don't plan on using the active high school days feature, are there other notorious gameplay aspects that enhance the game as a whole? What are they? How do you play with them?

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,623 Member
    I tried the follow Sims to school, but it's lacking a lot, I'm afraid. However, you can send the Sims to school without you, just as the careers from Get to Work offers. Teens can graduate early, which gives them a special Trait, and they are able to attend UNI. As for other aspects, they do make Teens more like teens. They get crushes and then get all bent (angry) if their crush waves at another person, etc. Or they get all nervous if they are in the same room as their crush. It's pretty hysterical. Also, if the boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't invite the other to the Prom, they can get pretty miffed, to the point of a festering grudge.

Not, to worry, thankfully there is a cheat that can remove it. Phew. I use MCCC and it allows for teens to become engaged. This couple, along with three of his siblings attended uni together even living in the very same dorm (it's easier allowing me to control all of them). Since, the fiancé, out of high school no longer had the ability to create a Promposal sign, and there didn't seem to be a way to have him ask his fiancée to the Prom, he was in hot-water with her. Boy, was she ever angry. Nearly derailed their relationship. The following week (yes Proms happen every Saturday), he just brought her along with him to the Prom. He was in trouble for that, too. "Why didn't you ask me if I wanted to go?" (or words to that effect). Poor kid couldn't win for losing. Made for some interesting game play, I must say.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I love the pack, but that's because I love to come with my teens to school and play their whole day. I often let them stay behind after the school day is finished the days they don't have clubs to hang out, do homework or practice skills for said clubs. The school has become the place where a lot of their social life happens, both during lunch and after school.

That being said, if you don't want to play at school with them, I don't really think the pack has much that can't be achieved with mods. I like the popups where they can go to hang out with friends, but there are mods for that. Prom's fun, but there are probably some prom mods out there that are still functional. The pier is nice, but it's only got three rides and some food stalls, so that gets old pretty quickly. The world is nice, but honestly not *that* different from other worlds we have. The fear system (I don't remember if it was a base game update, or came with the pack) is fun, but not for that price imo. I haven't really played much with Trendi, so can't say how worth it that is.

If you like the cas and build assets, maybe if you could get it cheap at a sale at some point. Teens really are the main focus of the pack though.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    I have it, and have zero interest in following my sims to school - haven't done so yet. Not sure I've really used much from the pack, honestly.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    I think if you are not going to follow your teen at all, it's not worth full price. Maybe on sale.

I love CAS and B/B. It really helps with making my teens look the part and also giving their rooms personality.

I enjoy the teen aspirations and the new traits.

I like my teens to use social bunny. They are the only life stage I use it with in my game because it can be annoying.

Having more afterschool activities is nice. But they are mostly just a rabbit hole.

I don't follow all my teens to school. When I do it's only for a week, before they are due to age up. That's also the only time they attend prom. So it doesn't get repetitive. The new lot type is pretty cool.

The world is just okay to me. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities with it. The pier is fun though.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo booth

But in general it feels like a game pack instead of an expansion. I would miss CAS and BB more than the Gameplay if I didn't have it.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I think if you are not going to follow your teen at all, it's not worth full price. Maybe on sale.

I love CAS and B/B. It really helps with making my teens look the part and also giving their rooms personality.

I enjoy the teen aspirations and the new traits.

I like my teens to use social bunny. They are the only life stage I use it with in my game because it can be annoying.

Having more afterschool activities is nice. But they are mostly just a rabbit hole.

I don't follow all my teens to school. When I do it's only for a week, before they are due to age up. That's also the only time they attend prom. So it doesn't get repetitive. The new lot type is pretty cool.

The world is just okay to me. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities with it. The pier is fun though.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo booth

But in general it feels like a game pack instead of an expansion. I would miss CAS and BB more than the Gameplay if I didn't have it.

I would second all of this.

I don't regret buying mostly because I'm a realistic legacy player and the teen specific aspirations, BB and CAS help create a more rounded out teen experience.

But I only send my teen to school a few times a week, sometimes only once a week. The reason for this is manifold:

1) I miss out on the school projects if I send them in every day, or can't focus on other sims/active careers/etc
    2)The gameplay at the school is laggy, especially if you have a robust lot and
    3) You build skills by going to class, similar to working on a project. So going every day can create an OP sim, especially if you then go to University and then pile more skill points on top of that. I usually go just enough days to get 1 to 2 skill points for my Sims "lesser" skills, and I have a storyline in mind for them (maybe they are an aspiring writer) they'll go more days on the day that class is scheduled.

Without active school, Social Bunny, and the styling app/rack this is really just a great teen stuff pack. And of the three main features I just mentioned, I only use active school and even then it's only a few times a week. So even though I don't regret buying it full price, I don't know that I'd recommend that for anyone else.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 727 Member
    I bought the High School pack for the CAS and Build/Buy items and never expected to visit the high school. But teen werewolves are hysterical to me and I have used more and more of the gameplay and world than I ever expected. Playing as a teen werewolf is quite different than playing as a young adult werewolf. Some things are easier and harder both ways. I am still figuring this all out.

I have a human teen that befriended Greg and he gave her a hug! The teen pack is my biggest surprise. Now I will just buy everything, even if I think I won't use it. This pack showed me that I don't know what I want as much as I thought I did. I didn't think I wanted infants either. Until someone said they wanted to put the baby carrier on a vampire. Someone else mentioned decorating a bowling alley for Halloween. One of my favorite things has become mixing things that seem incompatible and waiting to see what happens.

• Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I can answer that. I don't play with teens too much.

Creating outfits and selling them is the best non-teen thing they added. There's also an entreprenuership skill which pops up all the time. That, nice too. I think you can make a lot of money with selling outfits.

You'll also have access to social bunny app on the phone, where you can chat with people. I find it a bit basic/dull after playing with it a few times.

I wouldn't pay full price for it

• Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023
    I like it but I play mostly teens.

If you do not play teens then honestly no. This is their pack. While adults can use the CAS/bb and pillow fight/social bunny and probably do the thrift shop, it really wouldn’t feel like an expansion if you didn’t go to school at all and barely used teens.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited February 2023
    As someone who actually does think teens in this game need more attentention, no. This pack didn't really enhance my game all that much. Just like active careers, following my sims to school got old real fast. This was pretty much another pack that I got just for the world and build/buy stuff.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,536 Member
    I don't feel it's worth it if you aren't interested in playing teens.
    The pack is pretty much about them and might be more annoying for your adult sims obsessing over their phones.

Teens are a big point of my game play because University is a major part of my game play, and I prep my teens for Uni.
    I like to go to school with them because before High School Years they spent most of their time off the lot at the high school rabbit hole and then came home to do homework and build skills, leaving only weekends and vacation days to socialize with other teens.

The school game play is a bit underwhelming since clubs are just more rabbit hole game play, the game attracts mainly generic townies to be NPC students, and the active classroom is a bit boring. I try to make the most of the time spent between classes and the few hours after school.
    And I like sending them the Bobatea shop after school as it attracts other teens.

I used a mod to set sims that I play in rotation as NPC students.
    That helped a lot.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DaiyuDaiyu Posts: 771 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    The pack is pretty much about them and might be more annoying for your adult sims obsessing over their phones.

Teens are a big point of my game play because University is a major part of my game play, and I prep my teens for Uni.
    I like to go to school with them because before High School Years they spent most of their time off the lot at the high school rabbit hole and then came home to do homework and build skills, leaving only weekends and vacation days to socialize with other teens.

The school game play is a bit underwhelming since clubs are just more rabbit hole game play, the game attracts mainly generic townies to be NPC students, and the active classroom is a bit boring. I try to make the most of the time spent between classes and the few hours after school.
    And I like sending them the Bobatea shop after school as it attracts other teens.

That helped a lot.

What is this mod you speak of? :)

I've found it a little bit of a bummer that the same students are there. The way I have got around the problem is to use MCCC controller to summon sims to the lot that I want my sim to hang with. However, they're not technically attending HS.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,021 Member
    edited February 2023
    Hello,

I haven't played Sims 4 since werewolves and wanted to get back into it. I haven't bought High School Years because I don't play with teen Sims that much and wasn't that interested in the active school days thing that is actually the big feature of the EP.

So, for someone who don't plan on using the active high school days feature, are there other notorious gameplay aspects that enhance the game as a whole? What are they? How do you play with them?

I actually haven’t played the high school part since Cassandra Goth got expelled. Thats was months ago. I just had other things going on and I’m in no rush to go back to high school. Any other teens get ‘send alone’.

I love the world of Copperdale. I do wish there were more lots!

I’m resting Sims 4 for a bit whilst I have a think about things.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,399 Member

I don't play with teens either but I have a sim in teaching career and I like to visit the school lot with her for immersion. You can visit the school outside of school hours and it functions as a sort of community college if you add skill objects for the sims so it's not a completely useless lot, especially since it's so big. As for gameplay enhancing activities, there's american football and cheerleading, sneak out window, the photo booth, the pier area with the funfair and icecream shop, the world is very pretty, there's bubble tea and thrift clothes shop, the BB catalogue has some nice furniture, especially bedrooms, there's Trendi and Social Bunny applications, banquet tables and lots of party furniture and decor, there is even a crown if you're into historical gameplay.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    I love the crown for historical play also. Plus, I really like the Ferris Wheel & Copperdale World.
    Furthermore, I especially love all the objects in the game. ;)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,397 Member
    Hello,

I'm still playing my Simself as a teen in high school even though I'm an adult in real life but I mainly got this pack for the Amusement Park Rides ferris wheel,tunnel of love and haunted house. I also mainly got this pack for the photobooths which I had been waiting years for. The Social Bunny App is fun as well but Maxis needs to update it and add more conversations. I recommend this pack. It's not just for school but saying that my simself got asked out to the prom by his now girlfriend Greta Laurient and they go to the prom every week. She asked him if he'd be her boyfriend when I wasn't even playing her.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I love the pack for build/buy & cas, but it hasn’t really enhanced my gameplay otherwise since teens are probably the life stage that I play the least.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,924 Member
    edited February 2023
    Definitely. It's been great. But I focus on my teens probably more than any other lifestage. (For the psychologists among you, yes, I have a teen daughter.)

Customizing the school makes it a lot more fun. My San Myshuno game has a San Myshuno High, and in my Local Color game I've been having fun building a high school for each "world" although of course it is still technically located in Copperdale.

If you aren't planning on using the active high school then I don't know how much fun the pack would be.

Unless you really like boba. I do use the boba all the time.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2023
    As others have already said it all depends on if you play teens or not. Teens are one of my favorite life stages and has always been the focus of my gameplay so this pack was a dream! I love it and I love having a highschool. I was never really interested in the little puberty stuff but it's nice addition if it's something you want.

The world has become one of my favorites and I love the amusement park area. Makes it feel openworld and it's a beauty at night. 😍
    I always wanted cheerleading!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2023
    I like the challenge of creating outfits from a limited selection of items, but I don't like that there's no way to directly transfer them to your sims personal wardrobe other than recreating the look in CAS.

I like other teen milestones/rites of passage like unexplainable crushes that make them shy/awkward, sneaking out with friends and associated reasons why it was a bad idea (like nightmares from a movie), prom, school fairs, school events like career day, fire drills etc.

I wish there was more respect for STEM subjects and that their school fairs involved the PH science projects if installed. I also wish there were variants for the arts too (like a school talent show/play/concert and an art instalation for the crafters). Schools sports worship is OP in the US.

World details are cute for teens, dates and family trips.

I like that teens earn skills in school as they might gain some likes/dislikes and future direction from this, and depending on the days you attend actively, every teen/household of teens will have different strengths heading into uni/YAhood.

Socially school can seem kind of samey and without the drama shown in the trailer (it likely only happens with existing rivalries, love triangles etc), however...

I'm looking forward to how the drama/social landscape of the school will be effected once GrT is in play. Clashes will hopefully be natural and won't have to be forced, etc. Will you be a people pleasing peacemaker, or a total drama llama?
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

I have played with the school and enjoy it as an option. I don't follow every teen to school every time. I use Adeepindigo's Education Overhaul, and enjoy sending some teens to occult school or virtual schooling. But I like the option to follow when I want. I play rotations, so often will spend a day or two focused on each family member. So the school can be fun when I play with teens.

I haven't used the world that came with HSY yet, so I haven't experienced any of the neighborhood features. I haven't used any of the social media aspects or participated in Trendi. Largely that's because my rotation is so large now, I haven't added any families in from that neighborhood. But it's there as an option when I'm ready.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I guess it made me play teens more...mainly because of the teen specific aspirations, school days are kinda lame (unless you are a teen witch putting spells on people, like strangiefying the principal, making a teacher and the lunchlady fight and so on >:) ).

I also like the thriftstore and trendy addition especially for my stylist sim, gives her more to do.

Socialbunny gets old real fast and annoying, I usually have it turned off for any sim that isnt a teen.

The world is ok, the cas and bb has a good variatie imho.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    This pack has its problems like no way to control your Sims during class the limited game play added with football and not being keep your set outfits every day and pick your students (though I fixed this with 40 students mod) teachers and principle so you can play the story you want but even with those issues it's comes in second in my favorite expansions only followed by Get Together.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's the worst expansion pack for me. The gameplay is minimal and what is there functions so badly that I don't even want to bother with it.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m having a lot of fun with the cheerleading. I enjoy seeing robots and manly men shake their pompoms. 😄
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,536 Member
    Daiyu wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

That helped a lot.

What is this mod you speak of? :)

I've found it a little bit of a bummer that the same students are there. The way I have got around the problem is to use MCCC controller to summon sims to the lot that I want my sim to hang with. However, they're not technically attending HS.

This one, but it's not simple place and play.
    You have to do a little work through the mailbox.
    https://konansock.tumblr.com/post/691133958378979328/small-mod-choose-high-school-classmates

You have to pick 5 specific sims that you want to show up at high school.
    You have to assign them roles for the different school clubs, so select sims that fit each role.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds