Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you like Wants/Fears more than Whims?

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    I find it odd that most people love the TS2 wants and fears so much. They were just as repetitive and predictable. (Is it winter? Sim wants to chat with a family member. Sim has a dog? Sim is afraid of dog getting sprayed by skunk.)

And then the fears were the only thing that could possibly cause a sim to mourn the death of someone, even a spouse-- and if that fear wasn't active at the time, then a sim's spouse could die and they wouldn't care at all. To me that's at least as broken as the fears are now. (I agree that wants and fears are broken right now.)
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    As far as wants/fears, thankfully I haven't had the problems with mine like you guys. The system works pretty good for my sims. I got a kick of watching my sim fulfill her own wants. I am about to get rid of her fear of fire. Poor dear set herself on fire while lighting the fireplace and had to jump in the shower to extinguish. For a few sim days she has had this fear and the only thing I noticed was she won't light anything, from the fear.

It is very unfortunate that so many are having such problems, I can feel the pain. Ironically I have MCC so I can give my sim any number of satisfaction points, so I don't even need the system. I always had the whims turned off because of the "1x1 pool" and the famous, "bee box." I can see how the system is supposed to work, and I like it.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I find it odd that most people love the TS2 wants and fears so much. They were just as repetitive and predictable. (Is it winter? Sim wants to chat with a family member. Sim has a dog? Sim is afraid of dog getting sprayed by skunk.)

And then the fears were the only thing that could possibly cause a sim to mourn the death of someone, even a spouse-- and if that fear wasn't active at the time, then a sim's spouse could die and they wouldn't care at all. To me that's at least as broken as the fears are now. (I agree that wants and fears are broken right now.)

Somehow though Sims 2 wants and fears didn’t seem repetitive.

For me I was so into what my Sims were doing. Ther was always something happening.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

I found TS2 wants just as repetitive as TS4's. It was usually always the same ones to pop up, especially if your sim had hobbies. They would obsessively throw wants around them, even after they switched hobby to something else (because I wanted to max out a new one, or something I hadn't tried before).

Right now struggling to satisfy wants for my toddler and child. They both have wants involving dogs, toddler wants to pet a dog, the child wants to adopt one. I don't want dogs, and I can't dismiss the wants. :(
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Whims were something quick to do if I didn't know what to do. I could skip or ignore them, OR I could add a single-square pool to the back yard and get quick satisfaction points.

I have turned off wants/fears because they disrupt gameplay, while adding nothing. I'm not interested in becoming enemies with any random sim I haven't quite made friends with, and I'm not interested in spending satisfaction points to get another useless goal. I'm also not interested in my sims constantly being miserable because of their dead-end job they just got promoted at. That's not chaos, it's not surprising or challenging, it's just sad. :(
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    Whims were better than wants/fears for one simple reason, they remained switched off and were actually switched off as default by the developers.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Jade47 wrote: »
    Whims were better than wants/fears for one simple reason, they remained switched off and were actually switched off as default by the developers.

Now we can't even turn wants and fears off!
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Jade47 wrote: »

Now we can't even turn wants and fears off!

Exactly the point I was making.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    Whims were something quick to do if I didn't know what to do. I could skip or ignore them, OR I could add a single-square pool to the back yard and get quick satisfaction points.

I have turned off wants/fears because they disrupt gameplay, while adding nothing. I'm not interested in becoming enemies with any random sim I haven't quite made friends with, and I'm not interested in spending satisfaction points to get another useless goal. I'm also not interested in my sims constantly being miserable because of their dead-end job they just got promoted at. That's not chaos, it's not surprising or challenging, it's just sad. :(

It is sad. Wants have turned out to be nothing more than rebranded whims. They're not new, except for them leading to game wrecking fears. My biggest worry when this was announced was would fears completely take over a story? We have our answer, and that's what makes me the saddest/angriest. We know our sims personalities and these wants and fears are capable of totally changing that without our consent.

I was really looking forward to this feature, and I liked it at first. But once the new wore off and it showed how flawed it really is, I've been bitterly disappointed.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited September 2022

It is sad. Wants have turned out to be nothing more than rebranded whims. They're not new, except for them leading to game wrecking fears. My biggest worry when this was announced was would fears completely take over a story? We have our answer, and that's what makes me the saddest/angriest. We know our sims personalities and these wants and fears are capable of totally changing that without our consent.

I was really looking forward to this feature, and I liked it at first. But once the new wore off and it showed how flawed it really is, I've been bitterly disappointed.

I don't think they're just a rebrand. They added many trait related wants while removing packs related whims. This gives sims more personality but of course you may not agree that's the personality you want. The new wants for the traits were added just now and they are not how your sim used to behave, how you used to think of their character. For my own game I think the trait related wants will eventually become part of planning the character so they will suit the sim who is having them. They definitely did add to the traits with this system.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    musteni wrote: »

I don't think they're just a rebrand. They added many trait related wants while removing packs related whims. This gives sims more personality but of course you may not agree that's the personality you want. The new wants for the traits were added just now and they are not how your sim used to behave, how you used to think of their character. For my own game I think the trait related wants will eventually become part of planning the character so they will suit the sim who is having them. They definitely did add to the traits with this system.

At first that’s how the wants were working for me, my author sim was getting wants related to her career and the same for her actress wife. Now instead of all their wants being career or trait based it’s endless bland music wants. Or they get generic romantic wants instead of wants that mention their partner.

It could all be mod related too, but I wouldn’t have those mods if fears weren’t so flawed, or I could shut the feature off until it’s fixed. I guess it’s more the fact that I can’t shut it off that is what makes it so irritating. Whims didn’t play much, if any, part in shaping the story or my sims so I ignored it. There is potential for wants and fears to be a nice addition, just not in its current state. I just wish I could ignore it for now like whims.

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    @DaniRose2143 The excessive music wants are definitely a problem. I would completely avoid giving music likes while hoping they fix it.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I will definitely be doing this.^^
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited September 2022
    I complained about Sims 2 Wants and Fears being repetitive (they like always want to Hustle or play music because I spam radios all over my house) but Sims 4 Wants and Fears are in another level. Half the time they ONLY want to listen to music, and their wants are busted. They always want to break up with their soulmate despite having both max friendship and max romance or make friends with a Sim they despise and are enemies (even my evil Sim wants to be friends with a good Sim and they are enemies!). I do like the occasional want of "Fight this guy because they're enemies", "play mischief on this guy because they're enemies", etc. but again, it pales in comparison to the amount of times they just want to listen to music.

At the very least, wants you can ignore. Fears are horrifically implemented and tuned. They will pop up in your Sims at the most unwanted times and they take a huge impact on the gameplay. Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams pops up because you ignored their repetitive wants in order to do more interesting things. Fear of Dead-End Job will pop up even though your guys are at the top of their careers and it takes a heavy toll on job performance. Fear of Fire will cause your level 10 cook Sims to start fires, grinding gameplay to a halt especially if you play on large households. And Fear of being cheated on pops up so many times that one of my guys got it three times in the span of a Sim week; despite him being in character for him to be concerned about his girlfriend, he shouldn't be receiving it that much and he's not THAT insecure. All fears are repetitive to deal with, it's always "talk to this guy" or "be in this mood" or "take out a fire". I don't mind it once in a while, but I eventually got fed up with them that I got mods that removed dead end job and unfulfilled dreams and reduced the frequencies of the others.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    It's still the thing above the sim's portrait at the bottom left of the screen saying you want to do something... right?

If so, I can't tell the difference.

I did notice a sim get a new "trait" in their simology for a fear of fire after setting herself on fire while cooking the other day... If that's the fears thing then OK. It didn't seem to have any impact on the game after that. I right clicked on it to see what it was about and it got deleted. So... I dunno.

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I have only played a few days with wants/fears but I don’t mind it. Here’s some example.

- My sim was scared her job was not fulfilling. I had her listen to S-Pop (want) and then I could reignite passion for the career, then go to work and it’s fixed.

- My sim was scared of exam. I had him be friendly with a friend of his (want) then get in a focus mood and revise for exam. He felt better but two days before the exam he worried again so we repeat it.

- My sim was scared she was being cheated on. Well she was... she just have to live with it. 😂

Overall? It’s just something to address now and again, and can’t be ignored forever like the whims I don’t think. But it’s much the same.
  • Options
    YesshesasimmerYesshesasimmer Posts: 96 Member
    Yes and not. I like that the wants and fears gives the sims more emotions and reactions but I find the get in the way of my game play sometimes.
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I personally preferred Whims. Not only does Wants and Fears not work properly yet due to the bugs, but it also adds in things that would make playing the game difficult. I personally haven't updated the game for this reason, but I have seen how all of this works on my sibling's game. Wants can't be deleted in exchange for new Wants like Whims could. There were also way more Whims than there are Wants if I remember correctly. It would be nice to get more things that can affect the Scared emotion to make it more like the other emotions, but I just don't like the way the whole Fear system works. With the way it works now, it seems like more of a hindrance than an actual gameplay mechanic.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2022
    Well....they are pretty much the same with only slight differences. I don't dislike it but it seems a bit surface level. It's very different from TS2 because there's no aspiration bar this time to influence the sim's actions/mood, it used to represent a sim's mental state in a way, now it gives a few moodlets. I'm yet to really see whether or not these have much of an impact, after playing with them for a bit, it doesn't seem like but maybe I have to put in a few more hours?

I prefer that some wants take longer to fulfil (or are harder to complete), unlike other people, the long term ones are cool, they have much more impact and meaning in gameplay but I wish there was more variety. It annoys me that the same ones keep re-rolling, either they didn't add a lot of them OR the RNG is bugged somehow. I also like that satisfaction points are harder to get now, though two of the whims can still be completed fairly easily.

As a side note I wish we still had those crazy wants like "see the ghost of x sim".

Also, you can re-roll wants by going to sleep like in TS2...you can't cancel them but I think I have no issue with that, makes the game slightly harder.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    I think wants and fears are better than the whims system. With Wants I wish we could cancel out of them, but I like the general pool of options my sims get way more than "buy a beebox". Fears are a toss up between interesting and annoying, it depends on how stressed the game's made me. Most of the time the fear moodlet is overrided by a billion other ones anyway.

My Jealous sim keeps getting the fear of being cheated on. Poor dude lmao.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I have only played a few days with wants/fears but I don’t mind it. Here’s some example.

- My sim was scared her job was not fulfilling. I had her listen to S-Pop (want) and then I could reignite passion for the career, then go to work and it’s fixed.

And then the next day it happens again... only the sim has the next four days off and the moodlet for reigniting passion only lasts 12 hours... and it's not available when you're next going to work, so your performance slows to a crawl.

Dead end Job also often doesn't make sense - if it's a career related to the sim's ambition, and they just got a promotion - but Bam! it's a Dead end job? No logic to it.

The others I'll let play out, but Dead End Job and Unfulfilled Dreams (because I have other things for my sim to do than keep changing the blasted radio station to whatever they want to listen to) are actively intrusive for a lot of people, even if they're seemingly "easy" to fix. They get in the way of doing anything else because they're happening all the time.
  • Options
    LucaslovesgamesLucaslovesgames Posts: 58 Member
    Personally I prefer Wants and Fears but I feel like the Sims team should add a way to re roll the wants maybe like a button next to the wants, also adding a meter to show how happy your Sims are in life would be a massive improvement too.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    I want to like wants and fears but I fear I do not. 🫣

I haven’t really noticed much difference between whims and wants except for the fact that I cannot cancel wants this time around.
    Although I do like the concept of a fear system, in Sims 4 it doesn’t seem to take any of the sim’s traits into consideration, but instead rolls random wants & fears, making the feature feel pretty shallow, meaningless and a tad intrusive. All my sims appear to have the same wants and fears and that doesn’t make for interesting gameplay in my opinion. It’s like bland soup and I’m not a fan of soup in the first place. I prefer protein smoothies.

At the moment I’d rather turn off the feature altogether but apparently I can’t and now Captain is tense due to fear of never being able to turn off wants & fears.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    Personally I prefer Wants and Fears but I feel like the Sims team should add a way to re roll the wants maybe like a button next to the wants, also adding a meter to show how happy your Sims are in life would be a massive improvement too.

This, exactly.

I guess they tried to add something similar to the beloved aspiration meter from TS2 when they removed the ability to reroll wants and added the fear of unfulfilled dreams but it is just not the same at all. Replacing the aspiration meter with moodlets simply doesn't work at all.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen