Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Preferences or Chemistry?

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
As you probably saw, one of the modders found this in the game code

I'm wondering if it is a part of standard likes and dislikes or a chemistry system form TS2 Nightlife for example. Maybe in November we will receive Hot Date/Late Night/Nightlife Expansion.

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited September 2021
    Thank you for fixing the link :)

I wouldn't mind if Attraction is tied in with Likes/Dislikes. They would have to reconfigure it to make it act differently, but it's possible.

I just want it to be a real attraction system, so if your sim doesn't like sims with brown hair, they won't be able to romance them at all. No more romancing everyone. If sims aren't attracted to someone, then they shouldn't romance them at all.

I've been using Wonderful Whims for awhile, and I do like it, but I don't think it's strong enough. I would like the game to come out with a new attraction system that actually effects the way your sim interacts with other sims.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited September 2021
    I so wish its about romantic preference like we had turn ons/turn offs in ts2

like if sim likes beards or makeup or fancy nails or such on their partner or nah

but it could also be more about preference for their own clothing sadly

because i noticed when i gave patina manicure that she liked her nails because she likes color blue so maybe that is what they needed clothes related preference code for?

anyway id probably die of happy if i could have big romance pack about rn
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I just want it to be a real attraction system, so if your sim doesn't like sims with brown hair, they won't be able to romance them at all. No more romancing everyone. If sims aren't attracted to someone, then they shouldn't romance them at all.

slight disagree because id still like to have sims able to romance regardless of their perhaps misguided genetics bias

like maybe sim has always found blonde hair ugly but then they meet sim thats otherwise a snacc and decide that dang okay ill accept u regardless of blonde hair

it should just be a lot harder to match sims that dislike everything about each others looks tho and they shouldn't autonomously romance people they find somehow unlikeable
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    if they do romantic preference though they should do gender preferences for it as in if sim can be attracted to masculine,feminine,both,neither etc.

and yeah for these i would like if sims would just fully not romance any gender they are not attracted to
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    It seems to be mostly preferences for clothing I think.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited September 2021
    I don't know much about coding, so this is likely completely wrong, but could the CAS preferences have anything to do with this:

(Hope you don't mind me using your image @Zeldaboy180 ).

Perhaps Sims will become happy if wearing clothing that is a colour that they like (or unhappy wearing one they don't)?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Hmm... You know what the CAS prefrences make me think of? Style influencer career overhaul.

At the same time, the new nails thing give me feeling that we're close on getting werewolves in The Sims 4...

But if chemistry comes, that's awesome. And if there are new likes and dislikes, I hope more slots get freed up (20 to 25 for time being) (or some such, I assign all the slots so I won't get those "do you want your sim to like that" notifications, so sometimes my sims have likes or dislikes I'm willing to free up).
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Hmm... You know what the CAS prefrences make me think of? Style influencer career overhaul.

At the same time, the new nails thing give me feeling that we're close on getting werewolves in The Sims 4...

But if chemistry comes, that's awesome. And if there are new likes and dislikes, I hope more slots get freed up (20 to 25 for time being) (or some such, I assign all the slots so I won't get those "do you want your sim to like that" notifications, so sometimes my sims have likes or dislikes I'm willing to free up).

This was my first thought, Dream Home Decorator brings gameplay elements to Build/Buy. I was surprised that there was nothing to compliment people who like to makeover Sims in CAS.
    I'd love a chemistry system in the Sims 4 but to me this is looking like there could be a counterpart to Dream Home Decorator in the works.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    bixters wrote: »

I wouldn't mind if Attraction is tied in with Likes/Dislikes. They would have to reconfigure it to make it act differently, but it's possible.

I've been using Wonderful Whims for awhile, and I do like it, but I don't think it's strong enough. I would like the game to come out with a new attraction system that actually effects the way your sim interacts with other sims.

This is honestly exactly what I do not want with any sort of attraction system in the Sims. I understand IRL people can have types and everyone has something they are not willing to entertain in a romantic partner, some things being incredibly shallow and that is fine. You do you. However, for every Sim I make to be locked to such shallow attraction mandates would mean I would never use it. Call me an idealist, but I like to think true connections and chemistry are based on more than just hair color and at the very least it is going to be that way in my Sims 4 video game.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I hope this is for romance!!
    Sexual preference, career preference, trait preference, physical quality preference etx
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    bixters wrote: »

That's another nope from me. Real people end up dating (and even marrying) people that don't match their ideal looks all the time, and the best relationships are based on something deeper than appearance.

I'd be perfectly fine with no autonomous flirting with someone who doesn't meet your sim's appearance standards, but if I'm in control of the sim, I should have a chance to direct romantic interactions with any sim and while it may require a little more time (and maybe a chemistry system based on traits and skills) to get past an unplayed sim's appearance likes, it should be possible (with the exception of incompatible orientations... though I like all sims being Bi, myself.)
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I wouldn't mind romantic (and friendship, for that matter) preferences based more on traits or likes (as opposed to looks), kind of how "good" and "evil" Sims generally don't get along. However, I would also like to be able to override the preferences and still be able to flirt with Sims that don't have the same traits or interests if I choose to.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited September 2021
    I think its for clothing.
    Nails are already responding to color preference and you can sort clothing by color in CAS.
    You can also sort by fabric, which used to confuse me because I dont understand why you'd want to sort by fabric in Sims 4 but if they add fabric to likes and dislikes it would make much more sense.
    There are also several style categories you can sort by already too. Needs some more though. Maybe they will add those in a style influencer refresh and future packs like how they are adding the "industrial" decor style
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I wouldn't mind romantic (and friendship, for that matter) preferences based more on traits or likes (as opposed to looks), kind of how "good" and "evil" Sims generally don't get along. However, I would also like to be able to override the preferences and still be able to flirt with Sims that don't have the same traits or interests if I choose to.

well those too yes in their own category
    and if they like specific occults like are vampires hot or nah are spellcasters hot or nah are mermaids hot or nah.... and so forth and it should very much impact how they react to occulty stuff like for example vlad hissing could suddenly make sims flirty cause they really into that vampire life
  • Options
    ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member
    I would love this to be for a romance pack, but it seems like it only refers to clothes so far. So I'm going to guess either a free update, or a malls pack - the 'window shopping' activity in Henford-on-Bagley got me thinking about it. Maybe they're going to have a way to only wear clothes you've bought, a bit like 'Simple Living', and makeovers, or just a way to have a favourite outfit. Or maybe it is just a free update to existing preferences - I was a little disappointed when my Sim didn't react in any way to wearing her favourite colour.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a good romance pack though. This is certainly an indication they could have romantic/attraction preferences in the future. And it doesn't have to be overpowering - just maybe your Sim gets a flirty moodlet (battling with all their other moodlets) if they're interacting with a Sim with a feature or trait they like.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    I vote CAS Preferences over chemistry in Likes/Dislikes. It would mean more clothes get tagged a specific style, which would make sorting, randomizing & selection go a lil faster.

CAS is an enjoyable core feature, but a huge time suck.
    Setting up households, sorting by color & style 'speeds' things up. But not many styles and even less clothing is tagged as any style. Especially non Base Game packs. A huge plus for Dream Home Decorator; it tagged more Build/Buy items as a style.

I'm a rotational player. And I'd love my townies/households to stay 'in character'. At the very least, the favorited ones.
    Do I endure the eyesore or fix randomized nightmare outfits? City Living festivals, Get Together events, Seasons cold weather (vampire gear). Not everyone needs an eyeball or nose ring.

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I don't know much about coding, so this is likely completely wrong, but could the CAS preferences have anything to do with this:

(Hope you don't mind me using your image @Zeldaboy180 ).

Perhaps Sims will become happy if wearing clothing that is a colour that they like (or unhappy wearing one they don't)?

No problem!

I agree with others that I still want it to be possible to romance anyone, just harder.

I think we shouldn't get too excited. Plenty of things were found in the code and never added, like Horses back in cats and dogs.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Ugh, if it's Chemistry, they better make it less annoying than it was in TS3. I'm so sick of my sims getting gifts and letters from people that are attracted to them, even if both are married.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I would much prefer an attraction system that was not too rigid, and where the game calculates the chance of building a romantic relation without me setting each and every detail.

Should skills matter? If I choose yes for my sim, the game will set attraction based on say minimum 5 skills (minimum level 3) in common.

Should preferences matter? If I choose yes for my sim, the game will set attraction based on say minimum 2 common preferences.

I don't need to decide exact what preferences or skills should be good or bad, but perhaps there should be a both way option -
    allowing me to decide whether my sim prefer playing with same kind or the opposite kind. So, if the latter, my sim would be attracted to sims sharing less than 5 skills.

I think it's quite boring deciding "wearing lipstick" is a turn-on, at least I'd want a group setting for wearing any makeup or jewelries. I'd like it better if attraction can stay a mystery - I might assume my sim likes that other sim because of so and so, but I'd love it if it's difficult to pinpoint the exact criteria.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sort of neutral on that side i wish they would focus more on adding in the game more choice in term of furniture and appliances none of my sims that i create wears makeup
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    AntiquaAntiqua Posts: 106 Member
    edited September 2021
    I just hope there would be a game-play mechanic that would make it a bit more challenging to flirt up a Sim. Right now it is possible to meet and marry a sim within a sim day - and then rinse and repeat.
    It would be nice to have turn-ons and turn-offs to regulate autonomous flirting (if the sim is attracted to brunettes then they autonomously flirt with brunettes)..
    but still I would like to be able to influence the sims to overcome some initial turnoffs and maybe fall in love with some gameplay (when their friendship gets high enough and they have common interests and skills, the chances of attraction rises regardless of looks etc)
    and stemming from that - asymmetrical relationships would be lovely - a bearded sim likes a brunette sim, that does not fancy beards etc.

however, there should be some dislikes that are extra hard to override (or impossible) - when I've set the sim to dislike infidelity then a married sim flirting them up would create distrust (perhaps not instantly but after asking "are you single?") and make it near impossible to become friends not to mention gaining any romantic relationships after the fact.

So I guess I'd like to see a likes/dislikes or turn-ons/turn-offs system for asymmetric relationships with an added layer of red-flags or super-no-nos system on top.
    Post edited by Antiqua on
    How is the Haas family doing? Check out their struggles (and rules they have to follow) in this LP.
    And the Haas Family Tree, with some spoilers for the later chapters is made in the Plum Tree App.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I would much prefer an attraction system that was not too rigid, and where the game calculates the chance of building a romantic relation without me setting each and every detail.

Should skills matter? If I choose yes for my sim, the game will set attraction based on say minimum 5 skills (minimum level 3) in common.

Should preferences matter? If I choose yes for my sim, the game will set attraction based on say minimum 2 common preferences.

I don't need to decide exact what preferences or skills should be good or bad, but perhaps there should be a both way option -
    allowing me to decide whether my sim prefer playing with same kind or the opposite kind. So, if the latter, my sim would be attracted to sims sharing less than 5 skills.

I think it's quite boring deciding "wearing lipstick" is a turn-on, at least I'd want a group setting for wearing any makeup or jewelries. I'd like it better if attraction can stay a mystery - I might assume my sim likes that other sim because of so and so, but I'd love it if it's difficult to pinpoint the exact criteria.

I like your ideas. I'd also want a multiple-option on/off toggle somewhat similar to the various ways we can toggle autonomy for our sims. If not that, then I'd want a simple on/off toggle, because if it's as rigid as I suspect it would be I'd prefer to keep using my own personal system.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    sort of neutral on that side i wish they would focus more on adding in the game more choice in term of furniture and appliances none of my sims that i create wears makeup

They can add that as well.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2021
    Disappointed with that example Zeldaboy posted. :(Another repeat of what is already in the game with a thousand ways to get focus. omg..Maxis the base game offers zillions of way for the Sim to stay focused and or inspired or any other attribute..why do they keep repeating game play? why? :s If the game was freaking hard then I can understand why packs and or updates would add yet again another way to get focused and or inspired or whatever but omg, repeat, repeat and repeat gameplay. It's like Maxis has no idea they have a zillion ways for Sims to get happy, stay focused, inspired and all the other things...do they even know what the game is about? It's like they just started and said oh, ya, let's add focus attributes to this game! Um..hello Maxis this is why TS4 is a dull game.. because you keep adding the same gameplay.

OP, to answer your question, chemistry matters. You can love a wonderful person but if there is no chemistry don't be surprised when it's over, and they feel like your brother and or sister or best friend but no fire in a relationship. Since TS4 is limited with trait slots and will be with choices the spectrum would be too broad (your Sim will like most of the Sim world) to make it about likes and dislikes or 'preferences' alone. Chemistry has to come in there somewhere.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.