Inspired by James Turners Every Lot Challenge LP, combined with Rags to Riches and Legacy challenges, short life span and some extra restrictions, this is:Diminish the Torment Legacy Challenge a.k.a Ad Aspera Legacy Challenge.
I originally posted the rules in another thread here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17969909#Comment_17969909Basic premise:
You know the tales where all the previous generations had it worse then the youth of today... How they went to school every day uphill in a snow storm and then came home again uphill in a snow storm... But the youngsters, they have it all handed to them on a silver platter. Well imagine smth like that but in the Sims - you start in total misery and hope to build a brighter, more comfortable future for the generations to come.Life will be hard, dreams will be crushed.Starting point
Your founder has to be a single young adult - pick the traits or randomize them, however you choose.
Aspiration for the founder can be either picked or randomized. The first aspiration will be the "main" or "official" aspiration (see also: goal of challenge & removing the lot challenges) .
Choose your succession rules for the legacy - any child or eldest, youngest or -for added challenge- matriarchal, patriarchal line etc. You'll have to stick to the succession rule until the end of the challenge.
Set sim lifespan to short and make sure auto age is on for all sims.Your home:
Buy an empty lot - your household will live there for the duration of the challenge.
Enable all lot challenges, + haunted house residential + Cat Hangout, Dog Hangout and Vampire Nexus traits. Keep the worst weather options (both thunderstorms and blizzards). Enable Dust System if you have the Kit; Enable NPC Voting on Community boards; Eco Footprint Gameplay etc. Basically - make sure life on the lot will be as hard as possible, using all the packs you own.
Buy some essentials for the lot, so you can always sleep on the lot. There are two options:
1) a park bench and outdoors trash can.
2) build the smallest hut you can fit in the following items (1 of each): single bed, toilet, shower, refrigerator, kitchen counter, bathroom sink. 1 door, 1 window, outdoor trash can.
Optional for added discomfort for your sim - place some laundry stuff (laundry basket, wash tub and clothesline).
Then cheat the money to 0.Gameplay rules and restrictions:
Goal of the challenge:
- You are not allowed to be absent from your lot for more then 1-2 nights per sim week. So make sure you have good time management and get your sim home by 9pm!
- You need to have a successful date and a double bed on the lot before moving in a partner.
- You need to pay 1000 simoleons for the wedding to get married (even if you choose to elope).
- You need to have a toddler bed and a potty on the lot before having a child.
- When adding household members- make sure they don't bring in any simoleons.
- Once you move someone out you can't move them back in.
- Ageing up is allowed only on the birthdays.
- No money trees. No Potion of Youth. No participating in the Lottery.
- How to deal with the phone call offering you inheritance: Pick whichever answer you like. If you get money as an inheritance (with or without getting married), then you have to donate everything you received (but you have to keep the spouse, if you actually got married )
- Jobs/careers: The founder and heirs are not allowed to have a regular job/career. Other household member may have a job, but it has to be picked randomly (using a random number generator). Sims working in active careers have to be sent to work alone. Working from home is allowed. (Update/clarification: the founder and previous heirs are allowed to get a randomized job once the next heir has aged up to young adult and has taken over the "rulership" of the household). If you don't like the job your sim has - you're not allowed to quit a job, but you are allowed to end up getting fired and then roll for a new job.
- New: Option, how to deal with the random job offers via phone calls: When the first offer for a sim pops up, roll for yes or no. If it's a NO, then the sim has to decline the offer and all the future offers (no need to roll again). If it's a YES, then the sim has to accept the offer - they become career hoppers and have to roll for "yes" or "no" every time an offer pops up. While the higher starting position offers an advantage, there's always risk of losing progress every time the next offer shows up. Keep record, which of your sims are career-hoppers and who are not.
- When enrolling in University, randomly picking both the university and the degree/major is strongly encouraged. The heir is allowed to attend Uni, but they have to live at home.
- All traits and aspirations for new sims should be assigned randomly. (Update/clarification: Only the randomly assigned "official" aspirations of the sims count towards removing a lot challenge. Once the initial "main" aspiration of a sim is achieved you can roll for a new aspiration that will count towards removing a lot challenge. It's OK to hop between the aspirations to collect aspiration points, but finishing the other aspirations will have no impact on the number of active lot challenges.) "Easy mode": You can reroll an aspiration once every generation. Beware - the new random aspiration might be worse
- No Selling stuff to the void is allowed, including selling stuff from the household inventory, or paintings from the easel. Selling the build items (doors, windows) while building is fine (you can't avoid it and you're not making any profit on them anyway).
- You may sell stuff on Plopsy, to NPC-s via Selling tables, Cottage Living grocery and gardening shops, to the creature keeper, on the retail lot; and get rid of things in the household inventory using a home recycler. You can earn money also from tips for playing an instrument.
Your goal is to remove all the lot challenges, that can be done when you've filled the following criteria:
You can remove 1 random lot challenge every time:
- you age up the Heir to young adult or
- any sim in the household finishes their main aspiration (Update/clarification: Only the randomly assigned "official" or "main" aspirations of the sims count towards removing a lot challenge. It's OK to hop between the aspirations to collect aspiration points. In addition: in normal challenge mode finishing the randomized kids' aspirations will count towards removing a lot challenge. For hard mode: ignore the finished kids' aspirations and remove a lot challenge only when the adults finish their "main" aspirations.)
- any sim in the household reaches top of their career;
- any sim in the household finishes a term in university with an A+.
Simple Living has to be the last lot challenge you remove.
You are allowed to add one good lot trait instead of removing one bad lot trait or challenge when the criteria for lot challenge removal is met.
Haunted house residential can be removed after a household member reaches level 5 in medium skill and finishes successfully a gig in Paranormal Investigator Freelance Career.End of challenge
You've won the challenge when you have aged up to young adult an heir who has no first hand experience of any of the struggles the founder had - so the kid (It has to be one of the legal heirs in a row of legal heirs) was born and grew up on the lot having no initial lot challenges or traits remaining (excl weather conditions, dust system, Eco Lifestyle voting system etc - those you can keep if they're part of your usual gameplay).
You've lost when your founder or heir dies before producing the next heir that is eligible to take over the "rulership" of the household.
In the case you've lost the initial challenge - you have the option to "restart" the challenge if you have a living relative within the household, that would not otherwise qualify as an heir, who will step in. As a penalty for breaking the correct succession line you have to turn back on again 3 random lot challenges. Removing the lot challenges will be "on hold" and you are not allowed to turn off any challenges until the new branch produces a new "legal" heir (within the succession rules set in the beginning of challenge) and the new heir ages up to young adult.