Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's the Cottage Living so far?

Comments

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Lalaskye wrote: »
    Is anyone else having bugs with errands? I had to deliver mushrooms, and couldn't, even though they were in my bag. Now I'm stuck trying to encourage two sims to flirt - I've seen then share roses, they say they're in love, and it just won't register. I've restarted the errand 3 times with different sims and it will not work!https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992111/hows-the-cottage-living-so-far/p2#

Yes, I'm definitely finding that some of the errands are bugged. For example, I was stuck forever on the one where the last step is selling four watermelons. I must have sold 12 watermelons before it would recognize it as complete; I kept having to regrow watermelons to get more to sell. Sometimes instead of having 3 Henford heart to hearts, I have to do five or six.

Plus the mayor always seems to be missing; the only time I can ever find her is usually, but not always, during the festivals.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    It’s an absolute blast. Very addicting with a ton of new gameplay that meshes really well with other packs.

Only odd thing I noticed is seaweed was a required ingredient for one of the older recipes and I have no clue how to find it. Not sure if that’s meant to have that as an ingredient.

I know you can get weeds when fishing, but it doesn't go into you inventory. What about mermadic kelp?
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    First of all, there are so many lovely little details. I find the owl hooting in the background at night so soothing. And I think it's super cute that even though my sim's dog won't directly interact with the livestock, he gets incredibly jealous and needy when she pets the cow or chickens.

It is pretty glitchy at this point, though. Sometimes the errands get stuck and I can't turn them in. If I want to travel to the village to sell my goods, I have to be sure to leave by noon, because sometimes the travel screen gets stuck loading while time continues to pass on my lot. Oh, and I got that phone call from Nancy Landgraab about the power temporarily cutting out, which usually lasts for, what, 12 hours? 24 hours? Yeah, the power on my lot has been out for a week and a half, which is not great for the simple living challenge! Then, of course, there was the time that my sim rode her bicycle straight through the wall of her home. Oh, and for some reason, every time she goes jogging with her dog, she wants to change into her bathing suit halfway through.

With the errands that ask for meals try with single servings if group meals don't work.
  • Options
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've been loving it. It goes straight to my second favorite EP right after Cats & Dogs. I've played it in two different saves. Yesterday I played with a family of parents, two children and a cat and today I played with a single woman.

I don't have any mods and I haven't had any other bugs or glitches but the weird new teleporting bug that also other players have mentioned and the old plants reverting to dirt piles bug that seems to be impossible to fix.
    There hasn't been any more lag than the usual in HoB, which is great, I was afraid of it because I saw some early access videos with lag issues even though the game changers have powerful computers and they played only with Cottage Living and base game.

I'm very happy with this EP, there is so much to do and it's challenging. My Sim that I played with today didn't have money to buy ingredients for food and she was only able to get eggs from her chicken. I thought she was going to starve and I had to take her to another world to dig some collectibles to sell.

You can make mayonnaise with just eggs. Then you can eat it directly from the jar. It's disgusting.
  • Options
    ksmiss_137 wrote: »
    I can't find a bug thread for cottage living. With Seasons "Hunt for Egg" holiday tradition won't complete because she keeps finding various chicken eggs instead of the collectibles

You can go egg hunting on a lot without a coop to find the decór eggs to complete the traditions. I love the easy way to get coloured eggs though.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    First of all, there are so many lovely little details. I find the owl hooting in the background at night so soothing. And I think it's super cute that even though my sim's dog won't directly interact with the livestock, he gets incredibly jealous and needy when she pets the cow or chickens.

It is pretty glitchy at this point, though. Sometimes the errands get stuck and I can't turn them in. If I want to travel to the village to sell my goods, I have to be sure to leave by noon, because sometimes the travel screen gets stuck loading while time continues to pass on my lot. Oh, and I got that phone call from Nancy Landgraab about the power temporarily cutting out, which usually lasts for, what, 12 hours? 24 hours? Yeah, the power on my lot has been out for a week and a half, which is not great for the simple living challenge! Then, of course, there was the time that my sim rode her bicycle straight through the wall of her home. Oh, and for some reason, every time she goes jogging with her dog, she wants to change into her bathing suit halfway through.

With the errands that ask for meals try with single servings if group meals don't work.

I haven't had any of those, that's not the issue I'm having.
  • Options
    hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    I haven't played it too much, but from what I've played, it's really fun, smooth, and not buggy whatsoever. And the CAS items are adorable. <3
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've been loving it. It goes straight to my second favorite EP right after Cats & Dogs. I've played it in two different saves. Yesterday I played with a family of parents, two children and a cat and today I played with a single woman.

I don't have any mods and I haven't had any other bugs or glitches but the weird new teleporting bug that also other players have mentioned and the old plants reverting to dirt piles bug that seems to be impossible to fix.
    There hasn't been any more lag than the usual in HoB, which is great, I was afraid of it because I saw some early access videos with lag issues even though the game changers have powerful computers and they played only with Cottage Living and base game.

I'm very happy with this EP, there is so much to do and it's challenging. My Sim that I played with today didn't have money to buy ingredients for food and she was only able to get eggs from her chicken. I thought she was going to starve and I had to take her to another world to dig some collectibles to sell.

You can make mayonnaise with just eggs. Then you can eat it directly from the jar. It's disgusting.

I find myself tasting the mayo spoon every time I use it. I also drink pickle juice......I'll show myself out now. : )

I am loving the pack. No bugs and using cc and mods. I have already put about 15 hours in and heading in for more.

Post edited by Freygea on
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Freygea wrote: »
    I find myself tasting the mayo spoon every time I use it. I also drink pickle juice......I show myself out now. : ) I am loving the pack. No bugs and using cc and mods. I have already put about 15 hours in and heading in for more.

Haha, I always lick the knife after spreading mayo on my sandwich. :p
  • Options
    Freygea wrote: »

I find myself tasting the mayo spoon every time I use it. I also drink pickle juice......I show myself out now. : )

I am loving the pack. No bugs and using cc and mods. I have already put about 15 hours in and heading in for more.

Pickle juice is tasty. Did you know athletes used to use it as an isotonic sports drink back in the day? It's got salt and sugar so it's quick to absorb.
  • Options
    pendragon1980pendragon1980 Posts: 436 Member
    Well I had an interesting couple of days figuring it it this pack.

I was a little too ambitious and excited at first, farm with a huge garden, 3 cows, 3 coops and a llama for good measure.....for one sim.

Ummm..... Nope. Failed miserably. So scaled back to one cow and a six bed garden and slowly working my way back up.

This sim is a botanist so I hope to have all plants in greenhouses year round soon.
  • Options
    LalaskyeLalaskye Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Yes, I'm definitely finding that some of the errands are bugged. For example, I was stuck forever on the one where the last step is selling four watermelons. I must have sold 12 watermelons before it would recognize it as complete; I kept having to regrow watermelons to get more to sell. Sometimes instead of having 3 Henford heart to hearts, I have to do five or six.
    >
    > Plus the mayor always seems to be missing; the only time I can ever find her is usually, but not always, during the festivals.

Oh! If you sold the watermelons, does that mean you did the flirting too?? How did you make it work please?
  • Options
    lexiiiiplayssimslexiiiiplayssims Posts: 8 New Member
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Not kidding, the CAS items in this are actually so amazing! EA has really stepped it up for the past few packs! The hairs especially look so nice but I am slightly concerned about the lack of jeans/skirts/shorts etc. It is an expansion pack. Still, the clothing is gorgeous so I really don't mind! It goes so well with the Seasons pack, and it goes well with the Eco Lifestyle as well. Right now, I'm playing as a small family of 5 (parents, one teen, one toddler, one baby) during 'Winterfest' and the decorations look so cute and the snow as well in this gorgeous farm setting. It's a yes from me!! No but seriously, I know it's like £40 but it's so worth it! EA may not put it on sale until December, and you can't wait that long! Come on, you should definitely buy it! It's worth all of the money that you are spending on it! BYE!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Lalaskye wrote: »
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Yes, I'm definitely finding that some of the errands are bugged. For example, I was stuck forever on the one where the last step is selling four watermelons. I must have sold 12 watermelons before it would recognize it as complete; I kept having to regrow watermelons to get more to sell. Sometimes instead of having 3 Henford heart to hearts, I have to do five or six.
    >
    > Plus the mayor always seems to be missing; the only time I can ever find her is usually, but not always, during the festivals.

Oh! If you sold the watermelons, does that mean you did the flirting too?? How did you make it work please?

Yes, I had an easier time with the flirting part than the watermelons, but I still had to do it a couple of times for the interaction to work. You don't do the flirting yourself; you ask one of the sims to whom you gave the rose to flirt with the other sim to whom you gave the rose. The point is that Agatha is trying to matchmake the two of them, not you. I did have to search a bit, but eventually found it the interaction, I think under Friendly interactions. The first time, the sim in question got distracted and started doing something else, but the second time, he gave it a shot. (He got rejected, but that was ok, it still worked to complete the errand. Poor old Michael Bell, I should have fixed him up with Kim instead, but next time I'll know better.)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2021
    Loving it Henford is right up there with Windenburg as one of my favorite worlds. It’s perfect for my medieval game playstyle. I just bought and installed it this morning, and spent the day moving my Builds and Sims around. Put my castle on that 64x64 lot, the Put down two barns on the 50x40s and a house on the 20x30. Basically I want to have my Sims Own the Country side, and have this feudalistic society. Have a couple of families come together and work the farm as a club gathering. and it’s working! But the Castle looks good from every angle, I like being able to see it in the back ground no matter where I go. It’s absolutely breathtaking at Dawn, I can’t wait to send the knights on their brisk early morning jog, and just take it all in. I had my Gardener Club Come to the castle and tend to the crops. I reconfigured the club so they will “Care for Animals” too not just the orchard and Vineyard Can’t wait to play with the animals trying to plan for this Autumn’s Harvest festival and explore more.

Also trying to figure out, how I’m going to set this up, tho, I built a Cow Barn actually designed to hold 15 cows. I placed a shed with in the lot’s enclosure. Debating if it should be a residential lot or a Park venue. If it’s a park can I still buy cows and have the community take care of them? Or will they disappear the moment the lot becomes inactive. If I have it as a residential lot then I who will I move in to be the primary caretaker? And where will they reside? Do I build a small cottage, as a second home on that lot too now?

And I’m Thinking about creating a “flower glade” by the Cow Stable. And put vegetables next to what I’ll hope to one day be a Pig Barn. Primarily pumpkin, lettuce, potato’s, & carrots. Not sure where to put my chicken coop.

The pack feels like it should have been released During April to be honest, around Easter, it definitely has that kind of vibe.

If only corn and wheat/grain were new crops, I would have loved to try to build a full on corn/wheat maze.

And I can’t wait to see what winter will be like, all snuggled up in a cozy cottage by a fire drinking hot coffee/cocoa
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    LalaskyeLalaskye Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Yes, I had an easier time with the flirting part than the watermelons, but I still had to do it a couple of times for the interaction to work. You don't do the flirting yourself; you ask one of the sims to whom you gave the rose to flirt with the other sim to whom you gave the rose. The point is that Agatha is trying to matchmake the two of them, not you. I did have to search a bit, but eventually found it the interaction, I think under Friendly interactions. The first time, the sim in question got distracted and started doing something else, but the second time, he gave it a shot. (He got rejected, but that was ok, it still worked to complete the errand. Poor old Michael Bell, I should have fixed him up with Kim instead, but next time I'll know better.)

Thank you! I'm using Other sims > Hook up with, but is there literally "Encourage to flirt"? It's driving me to despair!
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    My feedback comes partially from me and partially from my daughter, who is 12.

Z would give Cottage Living as many paws up as there are animals in Henford-on-Bagley...and not just because she thinks the animals are adorable.

We started a save with a single young adult male Sim, living at the lot on Cobblebottom Street that has the chicken coop. We haven't put any chickens in it yet, because Z insists we install the fox alarm first, so none of our birds will meet untimely ends.

We're trying to play the Simple Living challenge by the book. I was surprised at how enjoyable planning a menu and making a shopping list for my Sim turned out to be. I mentioned how pumped we got when we managed to catch two minnows.

One of the errands didn't work. We got a package from someone to give to the pub owner, and it appeared in our inventory. She was easy to find, but we didn't have a possible interaction with her that let us offer the package to her. The exchange has worked perfectly twice, going the other way--we got a package from someone and had to find its owner. The Aubergine Parmigiana we got for one of these tasks turned out to be something another villager wanted, so we flipped it for something else. The meals we sometimes receive have come in very handy!

We enjoy the lore we learn when we share a Henford Heart-to-Heart. We discovered that villagers are sometimes in no mood for chit-chat.

Familiar Sims from other worlds make their way to the HoB. The Bjergsens, Landgraabs, and Goths have all made appearances. Marcus Flex has added runs through Henford-on-Bagley to his fitness regimen.

We also discovered aliens find Henford-on-Bagley as charming as other Sims do. That's how our Sim ended up carrying an alien baby.

We aren't far enough into our save to experience the fairs yet. It's still Wednesday in our world.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm having a blast thus far with the pack.

I created a new couple and moved them into the starter home by the waterfalls just to get a quick jump start on the pack while I wait for mods to get updated, so I'm playing in a fresh new save game with no mods/cc and I'm really stuggling to try to survive, LOL!

My poor sims are on the verge of starvation because they can't afford to buy the much needed groceries to cook any meals.... and I was only able to afford to buy two chickens (one hen, one rooster) so I'm only getting one egg per day thus far. Foraging for edibles has been an abject failure for the most part, and my aspiring avid fisherman can't catch a fish if his life depended on it (and it does!). *snicker snicker*

Out of desperation, I ended up having to sell some of the decor items that came with the lot (outdoor plants, wall art, carpets, etc) to get some money for groceries but you go through the groceries pretty darn quick when you cook a couple of family-sized meals to fill your sims' bellies for a few days, dagnabit! :D

I'm going to have to get more creative with my money making schemes and start travelling to other worlds to grab all the collectables I can, and maybe also visit other parks in the hopes that some generous stranger will bbq some food for my poor struggling family. Or maybe I'll pay a visit to other households and mooch some meals out of them, use their computer, swipe some of their garden veggies..... ha!

This. Pack. Is. Awesomesauce! :D

Side note: All of my mods have now been updated and ready for a new install, but I'm having so much fun with the vanilla mode challenge that I'm going to continue playing without them, or at least until my little family is finally able to get well established.... or they die of starvation.... (whichever comes first, LOL).
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    Even after 24 hours of full play I am still loving this pack. My rags to riches sim after two weeks just started to be able to build the shell of her house and owns her first cow. At this point between errands, farming, bee keeping, animal husbandry and wildlife befriending my sim is pretty busy. I just had her start to socialize with the sim I have chosen for her for a husband but the marriage is still quite aways off. Which is fine by me I like to build a relationship anyways. I decided that this will be a colonial type of farming legacy now. Though when we will find the time to raise children on a busy farm who knows. Leaning towards finding a homeschooling mod then they can help out and learn cooking gardening animal raising ect....at home. Which would work for me since I am a storyteller type player. This is the first time I have gotten excited and invested playing in a long time. I'll probably eventually rework all the lots possibly. I might keep a few but they are expensive. Why nice looking I wish they were a tiny bit cheaper.

Now that being said I ran into the odd teleporting glitch that people have been talking about today. I also had problems competing one errand for Kim but that is it.

On another note. I finally got first place in a fair. I had to bribe the mayor 250 dollars to do it though.
  • Options
    PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    This pack is by far my favourite. Made my little sim, stuck her on 2 olde mill lane and took all her money away. Spent hours completing errands, smothering bunnies with love, entering fairs and laughing at the snarky comments from other competitors, gradually making a fortune with gold eggs and watching my cow plant dance. That's not even the half of it! There are a few bugs but most of them just make me laugh, like how my sim wakes herself up when sleeping to go clap at the decor of the house because she has it as a like preference.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    ksmiss_137 wrote: »
    I can't find a bug thread for cottage living. With Seasons "Hunt for Egg" holiday tradition won't complete because she keeps finding various chicken eggs instead of the collectibles

This happened to me too! I thought it might be a mod (I was afraid I had forgotten to remove LittleMsSam's "Easter Egg Fix" mod, which she said to delete because it might be obsolete). My family of Sims found every special egg in the game, including rainbow and golden eggs, but no egg registered or fulfilled the tradition, and none of the decorative eggs ever appeared in the mix. I ended up going into Buydebug to get the decorative eggs to fulfill the requirements of one of the my favourite in-game holiday traditions. I wouldn't mind if they were adding to the egg collection in this way, but I do hope they don't get rid of the decorative eggs completely (I think they're cute and like to display them sometimes in certain kids' rooms etc), or the stuffed bunny that they unlock. I do hope they fix it soon though -- it's tedious scrolling through Buyedebug.
  • Options
    HMFCJessiHMFCJessi Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > It is pretty glitchy at this point, though. Sometimes the errands get stuck and I can't turn them in. If I want to travel to the village to sell my goods, I have to be sure to leave by noon, because sometimes the travel screen gets stuck loading while time continues to pass on my lot. Oh, and I got that phone call from Nancy Landgraab about the power temporarily cutting out, which usually lasts for, what, 12 hours? 24 hours? Yeah, the power on my lot has been out for a week and a half, which is not great for the simple living challenge! Then, of course, there was the time that my sim rode her bicycle straight through the wall of her home. Oh, and for some reason, every time she goes jogging with her dog, she wants to change into her bathing suit halfway through.

I am stuck on the Aubergine Parm and Pumpkin Scones errand. *sigh I have both, freshly made (Twice) in my inventory and it won't let me complete it, it says that I am missing the pumpkin scones.

I am currently juggling 7 Hens and a Cockerel, 2 Cows, and 2 Llamas, in addition to the village errands. It is a lot of juggling..LOL

I am loving it though, reminds me of Bourton - on - The -Water, or other Village in the Cotswolds. I have been building English style cottages and pubs and such, in the other neighborhoods, for years, but the atmosphere was not the same. This is the pack I have been waiting for since the original Sims. Hopefully the bugs will get fixed in the next update release.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'm enjoying the pack. Rags to Riches hard mode is a joy. My poor sim trying to stay alive in the middle of winter with not even a tent. I cannot sell to inventory, only to the grocery stalls so she can't even sell half the things she finds as they won't take gems and things. It's nice to struggle.
    She finally got into a cottage and has a few animals. So now she's still penniless and also has no time to make money because she's constantly seeing to the animals upkeep lol. This sim may never make it to rich!

XW5vklt.png

Love the CAS and BB. I think they could have done a much better job with pack integration though. It's unfogivable that dogs don't chase foxes, or befriend them.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    We can swim in the river?!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Love it, love it, love it. <3<3<3
    This Henford so tied with my most favorite world, Windenburg. B)