The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• Options
    JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2021
    Other
    I want to get Paralives but only if it's on PS5. I don't really like playing on a PC. I'm going to wait and see how The Sims 5 develops before deciding about playing it (the feature I want the most is open world), but if it's online multiplayer, then I'm out. :|
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    i bet the paralives forum will have the "LOL" reaction back as well. no whiners in there

I think you are wrong. After reading some of the direction they are taking, (warm, fuzzy, comfy game) I think there won't be a LOL nor a Disagree, nor any thing that represents dissent. I will have to find the links to the discussions about what will and won't be in the game and just like Maxis I heard in my head..'not in the spirit of the game' when people asked some questions about game play. I was annoyed. lol

you can be warm and fuzzy and still accept criticism/humor. lol.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    I don’t see buying Paralives as a replacement for any Sims games.
    I wouldn’t stop playing Sims when I buy Paralives.

Sims 5 would really have to grab me to buy it.

I thought about the things I’d be looking for.

Main features:
    Less patching. Sims 5 must be more stable.
    Free content separate from patching. This will keep patching size down.
    Multi player selector making it easy to connect with chosen players.
    Able to work on houses within a team.
    Neighbourhood story editor and able to select photos - like in Sims 2.
    Emotions gone. Moodlets are background, it’s interactions with other Sims that affect mood and reputation.
    Only expansion and stuff packs. Expansions add gameplay and related CAS/build. Stuff packs add... just stuff.

Liking Little Bistro Kit! French cafe vibes. 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited June 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @CK213

After your comment I went on a little search of Paradox Tectonic to see what the company was up to and really like the sound of this:

(Rod Humble) "I went to visit [Maxis co-founder and Sims creator] Will Wright. I was taking over his baby, so I wanted to go and kiss the ring. And he’s a great guy, but I asked him what I thought was a smart question, which was, “looking back, what’s the one thing you would take away [from the Sims]? What’s something you regret putting in that wasn’t needed, or the game would be more efficient without?” And he looked at me like [bulldogs do], with this sort of pitying look, and he said “I wouldn’t take anything out. I would add more. More is more.” The idea of taking away gameplay didn’t even occur to him"

But it occurred to Ron Humble.. to remove gameplay, regret something being added, and or not adding something because the game would be more 'efficient without it'.... There lies the difference of Will Wright's version of The Sims and Ron Humble's vision of what was wrong with The Sims.

EA is what is wrong with the Sims. removing gameplay features just to sell said gameplay features to you later via DLC packs is a typical EA tactic to get more money for basically the original full game.

You are probably right about that, but it wasn't EA who decided to put emotions on the Sim panel with moodlets and buffs systems. That was probably Humble and the TS3 teams.

It wasn't EA who made TS3 Sims so stoic thus leading to the overly animated TS4 Sims.

TS3 isn't much different than TS4 in that area. (moodlets and buffs) Maxis has stuck with the moodlets and buff systems and just did some shuffling of the nutshells but if anything TS4 is TS3's baby not TS2's since TS2 stuck with the player seeing the emotion and mood of the Sim rather than moodlets or icons and or buffs in a text and or on the Sim panel etc. I'm sorry, but I credit R. Humble for how he changed The Sims forever and not in a good way in my opinion.

One of many buff/moodlet examples: Mary thinks Johnny is being rude....well duh, I can see that in TS2 I have to read that in TS3 and TS4....and so many other nonsensical things about TS3 and TS4 that I already know in the older games.

@Cinebar ohhh no? if Maxis wasn't forced to rush content so Andrew Wilson, EA's greedy CEO, can get his millions faster to please the investors i'd wager a lot of the game would function way better and they actually could invest some time to better think things through. TS 3 is a good game imo, more fun than TS 2! yes i said it! i hate loading screens and TS 3's open world was such a great concept. as for the "stoic" TS 3: who forces all their studios to use frostbite to save a buck?? yep...EA.

you can blame the studio for rushing the game but ultimately it is greedy greedy EA that forces them to rush games to keep up profit margings for the investors leading to inferior product hence why TS 3 has had so many problems, but it's concept was superior to TS 2: open world and a living community? yes please. beatch freaking load screens and your actives required around for other sims to even get anywhere in life.

you can blame developers all day, i will blame the greedy slimeballs on the top of the pyramid like Andrew Wilson who would sell their souls for profit and they and their greed are to blame for the sorry state the gaming world is in right now
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Other
    At the moment, I don't plan to get either. Paralives might have great Build/Buy and CAS, but they're keeping pretty quiet about gameplay. And I'm not keen on a TS5 with multiplayer.

Finally, both will suffer from being at the beginning of their development. I have ghosts, pools, toddlers, university, weather, pets, restaurants, and soon, farms in TS4. Will those all be available Day 1 in a new game? I doubt it. And lifestyles, NAPs, and likes and dislikes are making TS4 less predictable.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Other
    I’m not that fussed about paralives so probably won’t buy it. Depends on what sims 5 is. If the rumours are true about it being online then I’ll buy neither. If sims 5 offers single player then yes I’ll end up getting it at some point a few years after release which I did with sims 3&4
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 764 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I’ll probably get both. I don’t see paralives as a replacement for the sims for me. I also don’t like the style but will get it because I do find it interesting. Sims 5 I will get if it’s offline and I like the art style.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    @CK213

After your comment I went on a little search of Paradox Tectonic to see what the company was up to and really like the sound of this:

(Rod Humble) "I went to visit [Maxis co-founder and Sims creator] Will Wright. I was taking over his baby, so I wanted to go and kiss the ring. And he’s a great guy, but I asked him what I thought was a smart question, which was, “looking back, what’s the one thing you would take away [from the Sims]? What’s something you regret putting in that wasn’t needed, or the game would be more efficient without?” And he looked at me like [bulldogs do], with this sort of pitying look, and he said “I wouldn’t take anything out. I would add more. More is more.” The idea of taking away gameplay didn’t even occur to him"

But it occurred to Ron Humble.. to remove gameplay, regret something being added, and or not adding something because the game would be more 'efficient without it'.... There lies the difference of Will Wright's version of The Sims and Ron Humble's vision of what was wrong with The Sims.

EA is what is wrong with the Sims. removing gameplay features just to sell said gameplay features to you later via DLC packs is a typical EA tactic to get more money for basically the original full game.

You are probably right about that, but it wasn't EA who decided to put emotions on the Sim panel with moodlets and buffs systems. That was probably Humble and the TS3 teams.

It wasn't EA who made TS3 Sims so stoic thus leading to the overly animated TS4 Sims.

TS3 isn't much different than TS4 in that area. (moodlets and buffs) Maxis has stuck with the moodlets and buff systems and just did some shuffling of the nutshells but if anything TS4 is TS3's baby not TS2's since TS2 stuck with the player seeing the emotion and mood of the Sim rather than moodlets or icons and or buffs in a text and or on the Sim panel etc. I'm sorry, but I credit R. Humble for how he changed The Sims forever and not in a good way in my opinion.

One of many buff/moodlet examples: Mary thinks Johnny is being rude....well duh, I can see that in TS2 I have to read that in TS3 and TS4....and so many other nonsensical things about TS3 and TS4 that I already know in the older games.

@Cinebar ohhh no? if Maxis wasn't forced to rush content so Andrew Wilson, EA's greedy CEO, can get his millions faster to please the investors i'd wager a lot of the game would function way better and they actually could invest some time to better think things through. TS 3 is a good game imo, more fun than TS 2! yes i said it! i hate loading screens and TS 3's open world was such a great concept. as for the "stoic" TS 3: who forces all their studios to use frostbite to save a buck?? yep...EA.

you can blame the studio for rushing the game but ultimately it is greedy greedy EA that forces them to rush games to keep up profit margings for the investors leading to inferior product hence why TS 3 has had so many problems, but it's concept was superior to TS 2: open world and a living community? yes please. beatch freaking load screens and your actives required around for other sims to even get anywhere in life.

you can blame developers all day, i will blame the greedy slimeballs on the top of the pyramid like Andrew Wilson who would sell their souls for profit and they and their greed are to blame for the sorry state the gaming world is in right now

EA had nothing to do with developers' choices of what type packs to make. SV is a good example. If you watch the interview with the GM (Lyndsay Pearson) Maxis, she says the developers asked her if they could go ahead with something like SV...totally linear play, and she said take it as far as we can go...that wasn't EA's idea. I'm sorry but I think a lot of blame gets put on EA (yes I know how greedy they can get) when it comes to daily operations and what the devs decide to do. I don't think it was EA who said dog houses are evil so no we aren't adding them... Does anyone really believe EA CEOs told Maxis to move away from the Sim in TS1 and TS2 and build a system that depended on rpg moodlets and buffs? C'mon..Maxis has a whole lot of freedom, they say it all the time. Why does no one ever believe them about that, but believes other stuff they say? Amazing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,920 Member
    Other
    @CK213

EA had nothing to do with developers' choices of what type packs to make. SV is a good example. If you watch the interview with the GM (Lyndsay Pearson) Maxis, she says the developers asked her if they could go ahead with something like SV...totally linear play, and she said take it as far as we can go...that wasn't EA's idea. I'm sorry but I think a lot of blame gets put on EA (yes I know how greedy they can get) when it comes to daily operations and what the devs decide to do. I don't think it was EA who said dog houses are evil so no we aren't adding them...

The dog house came about as the devs took the advice of the ASPCA®. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and as I've seen some horrific pictures of dogs frozen on doorsteps in the winter last year, I agree with them. The only dogs that can cope are those living in the far north and used to sub zero temperatures.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    @CK213

EA had nothing to do with developers' choices of what type packs to make. SV is a good example. If you watch the interview with the GM (Lyndsay Pearson) Maxis, she says the developers asked her if they could go ahead with something like SV...totally linear play, and she said take it as far as we can go...that wasn't EA's idea. I'm sorry but I think a lot of blame gets put on EA (yes I know how greedy they can get) when it comes to daily operations and what the devs decide to do. I don't think it was EA who said dog houses are evil so no we aren't adding them...

The dog house came about as the devs took the advice of the ASPCA®. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and as I've seen some horrific pictures of dogs frozen on doorsteps in the winter last year, I agree with them. The only dogs that can cope are those living in the far north and used to sub zero temperatures.

Did they say that? Or it wasn't because Grant said on twitter he didn't like dog houses so they weren't adding them. Either way, Maxis decided not EA.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Other
    @CK213

EA had nothing to do with developers' choices of what type packs to make. SV is a good example. If you watch the interview with the GM (Lyndsay Pearson) Maxis, she says the developers asked her if they could go ahead with something like SV...totally linear play, and she said take it as far as we can go...that wasn't EA's idea. I'm sorry but I think a lot of blame gets put on EA (yes I know how greedy they can get) when it comes to daily operations and what the devs decide to do. I don't think it was EA who said dog houses are evil so no we aren't adding them... Does anyone really believe EA CEOs told Maxis to move away from the Sim in TS1 and TS2 and build a system that depended on rpg moodlets and buffs? C'mon..Maxis has a whole lot of freedom, they say it all the time. Why does no one ever believe them about that, but believes other stuff they say? Amazing.

I‘m pretty sure it was EA telling Maxis to make TS4 online and multiplayer and then were like „Scrap that. Make it offline and single player“ in the last second because SimCity flopped. Most of the problems TS4 has is because it wasn’t designed to be a traditional Sims game. If it wasn‘t for EA‘s greed I‘m sure the time and resources wasted on online and multiplayer features would have been used to develop AI, personalities, proper streets that support cars, etc.
  • Options
    @CK213

I‘m pretty sure it was EA telling Maxis to make TS4 online and multiplayer and then were like „Scrap that. Make it offline and single player“ in the last second because SimCity flopped. Most of the problems TS4 has is because it wasn’t designed to be a traditional Sims game. If it wasn‘t for EA‘s greed I‘m sure the time and resources wasted on online and multiplayer features would have been used to develop AI, personalities, proper streets that support cars, etc.

This is probably true but EA talking heads still say it was Lucy Bradshaw and not them who decided Sim City should be an online only, multiplayer game...who are we going to believe? She was over Maxis at the time and the Olympus project may actually be her decision and not Frank G. as he stated it was all Lucy Bradshaw's idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    This is probably true but EA talking heads still say it was Lucy Bradshaw and not them who decided Sim City should be an online only, multiplayer game...who are we going to believe? She was over Maxis at the time and the Olympus project may actually be her decision and not Frank G. as he stated it was all Lucy Bradshaw's idea.

you seriously believe EA?? the company that would defend child gambling just because it is their best source of income to the point where they actually would take a country to court to try and keep their gambling in their games (yes they actually did this when belgium deemed lootboxes/surprise mechanics to be gambling and thus forced EA to remove paid lootboxes from FIFA).

the fact that you trust them is worrysome my friend... you should know better than to trust corporate greedy scum like them!

and turning their games into online cashgrabs is a known EA move, Lucy Bradshaw just took the fall for the corporate scum at the top of the pyramid like it so often happens in the corporate world of corruption.

and yes i think online TS 5 is a very bad idea because knowing EA we WILL get greedy monetization scemes like paid subscriptions to even play the game like World of Greedcraft and tons of content locked behind the same old microtransaction paywall

• Options
    Other
    @CK213

If it was just Maxis games that are full of online, multiplayer, multi transactions, loot boxes plum then you‘d have a point. It‘s not though. Pretty much every studio under EA has that plum. EA is always the common dominator. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. It’s not uncommon for psychopathic CEO’s to blame their underlings (especially female ones) for their mistakes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If it was just Maxis games that are full of online, multiplayer, multi transactions, loot boxes plum then you‘d have a point. It‘s not though. Pretty much every studio under EA has that plum. EA is always the common dominator. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. It’s not uncommon for psychopathic CEO’s to blame their underlings (especially female ones) for their mistakes.

my thoughts exactly. just take a look at how once good titles like Dungeon Keeper or Plants VS Zombies turned into shameless cashgrabs after EA aquired these titles
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @CK213

I think one of the duties of a Maxis officer is to take the fall for EA when the bigwigs dictate what all the games they publish should have such as Sim City being online. I think this way because that kind of feature (online, multiplayer, loot boxes, competition) had been talked and planned about by the EA bigwigs many years before it was ever considered for Sim City and the other franchises they publish.

What EA told the game studios was to include any or all of these features but leave it up to the game studios as to how to incorporate and implement them in their games. Then EA can say that it was totally the game studios' idea, when if truly given the choice, the devs wouldn't want to actually include these features at all in their games.

I hate the way EA hides behind all the game studios' officers so they won't be branded the most hated game publisher in the world. At least I hope the officers are being well-compensated for having to fall on their own swords.

• Options
    I think one of the duties of a Maxis officer is to take the fall for EA when the bigwigs dictate what all the games they publish should have such as Sim City being online. I think this way because that kind of feature (online, multiplayer, loot boxes, competition) had been talked and planned about by the EA bigwigs many years before it was ever considered for Sim City and the other franchises they publish.

What EA told the game studios was to include any or all of these features but leave it up to the game studios as to how to incorporate and implement them in their games. Then EA can say that it was totally the game studios' idea, when if truly given the choice, the devs wouldn't want to actually include these features at all in their games.

I hate the way EA hides behind all the game studios' officers so they won't be branded the most hated game publisher in the world. At least I hope the officers are being well-compensated for having to fall on their own swords.

nope, they get booted and can go look for a new job while the corporate bigwigs still get their million dollar bonusses like nothing happened.

ohh and they can be shady as much as they want: EA already IS the most hated game publisher in the world, although Activision-Blizzard is catching up fast...

and yes, the scum at the top of the corporate EA pyramid do desire surprise mechanics bonanzas in all their titles and all the predatory monetization tricks work best in online multiplayer enviroments (wanna see how far they go? check out "let's go whaling" on youtube...it is truly....something....) so they do aimk to turn all their owned titles into online cashgrabs
  • Options
    Other
    @CK213

This. To this day I don‘t believe that JTB was Lyndsay Pearson‘s idea. It was definitely corporate EA that made the deal with Disney and when they got backlash they had her take the fall.
  • Options
    This. To this day I don‘t believe that JTB was Lyndsay Pearson‘s idea. It was definitely corporate EA that made the deal with Disney and when they got backlash they had her take the fall.

It happens all the times in the corporate world, not just in the game industry exclusively. heck it is such a well known phenominon that you can even do this in the game itself (it is a random event in the business career where you can take the fasll for some corporate head screwup and get fired with a tiny get lost bonus) except the personel in the game industry is abused like no tomorrow by the corporate filth on top of the pyramin, being overworked and underpaid while said filth at the top rake in millions upon millions. it is really disgusting...

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,920 Member
    Other
    Simburian wrote: »
    @CK213

Did they say that? Or it wasn't because Grant said on twitter he didn't like dog houses so they weren't adding them. Either way, Maxis decided not EA.

I definitely remember something like this on Twitter at the time. Yes. I used to stalk Grant a lot in those days.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other

That's very possible. But if so, then the Maxis managers seem disturbingly enthusiastic about owning EA's bad decisions, and spinning them as positive evolution in the game. Thus, I'm happy to assign Maxis most of the blame for the lack of vision (other than "make money") in TS4. However, I do entirely blame EA for originally mandating that TS4 be an online game, the last minute shift back to single player, and the subsequent mess of an engine that resulted from those decisions. I also entirely blame EA for TS5 being an online game.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    SimSpock wrote: »
    That's very possible. But if so, then the Maxis managers seem disturbingly enthusiastic about owning EA's bad decisions, and spinning them as positive evolution in the game. Thus, I'm happy to assign Maxis most of the blame for the lack of vision (other than "make money") in TS4. However, I do entirely blame EA for originally mandating that TS4 be an online game, the last minute shift back to single player, and the subsequent mess of an engine that resulted from those decisions. I also entirely blame EA for TS5 being an online game.

that is what we call corporate propaganda and ofcourse the managers would side with EA since they are on EA's payroll and thus their jobs and bonusses are in Andrew Wilson's hands. this "make money at any cost" mantra is EA's signature vision when giving instructions to Maxis. no my friend it is deffo EA pulling the strings on this one. they are notorious for their greed and love for online due to microtransactions, lootboxes and paid subscription plans for a reason after all: they absolutely insist on the free to play cashgrab model in all their titles and one as well known as the Sims cannot escape the chopping block either, especially now that FIFA is under fire due to lootbox regulations in the EU.

the last thing you should do is trust the words of EA executives: they are professional liars and con artists that would defend gambling for minors if there is huge profit in it for them!

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Yes, totally!

Well, remember, part of their duty is try to be convincing to the public that it's all their fault, so of course they're going to have to look disturbingly enthusiastic about their supposed bad decisions. A person who really IS at fault though wouldn't over enthuse about it. As a matter of fact, they'll try to downplay the severity of their mistake.

I don't think Maxis has a lack of vision at all. But rather a lack of funds granted by EA. When EA was run by the previous leadership (who I miss every day, *sob*!), all the game studios were well funded. The game studios were also motivated to produce their very best - either that or get axed by EA. This resulted in EA's most successful and wonderful franchises ever - Dragon Age, Dead Space, The Sims, Mass Effect, a variety of fantastic Star Wars games. So it's not a lack of vision at all.

But now EA has new leadership and from what I've seen, they don't fund the new games adequately and then tell their game studios that they're going to have to do with the meager amount given to them. This is why the latest releases of these same franchises were absolute disasters and EA has to now run PR overtime to cover up their failures.

Also if you notice, they haven't had many new and cutting edge games out. They've been doing a lot of remasters, though owners of those games would have to buy them (while other game studios/publishers give their remasters to owners of their games for free, such as the Borderlands remasters). I haven't bought any of the EA remasters though because they are just not enough of a difference to warrant purchasing them. They're just cash-grabs really.

• Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other

Yes, totally!

Well, remember, part of their duty is try to be convincing to the public that it's all their fault, so of course they're going to have to look disturbingly enthusiastic about their supposed bad decisions. A person who really IS at fault though wouldn't over enthuse about it. As a matter of fact, they'll try to downplay the severity of their mistake.

I don't think Maxis has a lack of vision at all. But rather a lack of funds granted by EA. When EA was run by the previous leadership (who I miss every day, *sob*!), all the game studios were well funded. The game studios were also motivated to produce their very best - either that or get axed by EA. This resulted in EA's most successful and wonderful franchises ever - Dragon Age, Dead Space, The Sims, Mass Effect, a variety of fantastic Star Wars games. So it's not a lack of vision at all.

But now EA has new leadership and from what I've seen, they don't fund the new games adequately and then tell their game studios that they're going to have to do with the meager amount given to them. This is why the latest releases of these same franchises were absolute disasters and EA has to now run PR overtime to cover up their failures.

Also if you notice, they haven't had many new and cutting edge games out. They've been doing a lot of remasters, though owners of those games would have to buy them (while other game studios/publishers give their remasters to owners of their games for free, such as the Borderlands remasters). I haven't bought any of the EA remasters though because they are just not enough of a difference to warrant purchasing them. They're just cash-grabs really.

On the issue of EA's remasters being little more than cash grabs:

I was disappointed in the Mass Effect remaster. ME1 looks a lot better, but has serious performance issues on a lot of computers. Quite a number of bugs, too. ME2 and ME3, at least to me, seem nearly identical to the original releases. I guess something in them was remastered, but I can't figure out what.
  • Options

you have done your research!! glad to see it! yes, developers are underpaid atm. and all the while Andrew Wilson, EA's CEO is one of the most overpaid CEO's of the world! that greedy worm rakes in millions! he got "just a meager" 20 million dollar bonus to name a number of what that greedy dirtbag rakes in while their lowe ranked employees work overtime to make games work with the limited resources they get.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top