Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: Many More Years To Come

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Years. Years?! I hope they're planning on doing some major optimizations to the basic game, then. I, and many other people, have awful simulation lag where I have to hit pause just to let the game catch up, and my computer is 2 years old with an i7 and 2060rtx. The game is already 6 years old and doesn't have the most solid foundation. I guess EA/Maxis have decided to not throw in a lot of $$ for developing a new game which takes advantage of modern hardware. But it also shows that Sims 4 is printing money for EA. I'm happy for the people who are genuinely delighted over this news, and I hope it means that they're working on the game in ways so it will be able to handle all the content.
    Your computer should run it fine for years. :) Those specs exceed the recommended specs so you should be fine and are at par with steam game specs. Steam is a good reference when updating computers to modern tech with modern games. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You got the modern hardware.

That's my point. I know my system is beyond what's needed to play, so I shouldn't be getting simulation lag. Yet I do. If they want this game to last a few more years with lots of additional content, they have to fix some fundamental issues.
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Personally I'm really excited to see where TS4 goes in years to come :smiley:
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Years. Years?! I hope they're planning on doing some major optimizations to the basic game, then. I, and many other people, have awful simulation lag where I have to hit pause just to let the game catch up, and my computer is 2 years old with an i7 and 2060rtx. The game is already 6 years old and doesn't have the most solid foundation. I guess EA/Maxis have decided to not throw in a lot of $$ for developing a new game which takes advantage of modern hardware. But it also shows that Sims 4 is printing money for EA. I'm happy for the people who are genuinely delighted over this news, and I hope it means that they're working on the game in ways so it will be able to handle all the content.
    Your computer should run it fine for years. :) Those specs exceed the recommended specs so you should be fine and are at par with steam game specs. Steam is a good reference when updating computers to modern tech with modern games. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You got the modern hardware.

That's my point. I know my system is beyond what's needed to play, so I shouldn't be getting simulation lag. Yet I do. If they want this game to last a few more years with lots of additional content, they have to fix some fundamental issues.
    I always thought that was their quick fix for the routing issues. Always fun to see Sims and pets get stuck in a simulation loop sometimes. Reminds me of WandaVision a lot.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2021

Agreed, the game engine is getting old. It doesn't matter if you have a good computer. If they keep this game going for many more years without improving it the game is going to run worse and more people are going to have problems playing it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    if TS4 has many more years to come, what are you doing with TS5? Did she mean the game has many more years or the series has many more years.

I think a lot of dissatisfied players are going to jump on that statement and hope they're talking about the series but these are Sims 4 developers. They're talking about the Sims 4. I do think Sims 5 is in development but probably has a few years to go.

I hope TS4 players get the Generations pack, and cars and a Farming pack they have been asking about for many years now. I don't know what they request over on Twitter, maybe for a white shelf, but it seems here on the forums by the number of comments in those threads those seem to be the most requested things for the last seven years other than family play aka toddlers several years ago. Which to me reflects interest and potential revenue for Maxis...if a thread has thousands of comments compared to a few hundred requests, I think Maxis should consider which request gets more attention and what should be the thing they do.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling I will not like the direction of TS5 so I am happy to get as long as I possibly can out of TS4. It's now my fave version anyway.

Honestly, I don't know how people start over and over again. TS4 is my first sims title with DLC and I'm not too thrilled to start back off at a base game and wait for DLC's to release over the years. TS5 would really have to blow my mind for me to do that, and the prices would have to come down. But if the rumors and speculation end up being true about TS5 it's something I'm probably not going to be investing in anyway. I don't mind just continuing to play TS4 like when people did with TS3.

A new game is exciting. It usually has grand new features that the older game would not have, it doesn't go backwards but builds upon everything that came before. With new visuals, better UI, smoother gameplay and AI, more things in a base, than before, things that the older game just couldn't handle. TS4 was not that game in so many ways. Yes, it was improved upon in some areas but left out so many other things in it's base that many things that were in the other bases had to be paid for later, much later, and or waited upon to even show up years later as a free content patch. Simmers usually like to see the new technology of what is possible such as think about it, going from TS1 to TS3 was like going from the grocery store to the moon. A huge step forward in many, many ways. TS4 on the other hand was like crossing the street to just see another grocery store (supermart) (not actually but as an example) instead of the rocket science it took to build TS3. That's why people can start all over, we never leave the old games, either, we just keep going...and visit them all but embrace the new technology that makes going from across the street to space that much more possible. It's like the difference of a piece of bread to a fancy cake...huge differences, that make trying a newer game worth the time. Usually until TS4. TS4 has a very good CAS but players assume the TS3 or TS2 bodyshop doesn't have just as many 'sliders' as the TS4 facial tug and pull feature....They both (especially TS3's base) has just as many if people took the time to find it out. So, 'new' features doesn't actually mean new but a different way to reach the same result. So, TS4 may seem new in some areas but really just done differently in some things where as the other games built upon things instead of just switching it up to do it differently.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sorry but I have to take that quote from them with an grain of salt as the said almost the same thing when Sims 2013 was in production and it did not last very long. Even if it does last many more years it is only for those that like Sims 4 as others that find Sims 4 not that appealing or even the Sims series will move onto that are much more fulfilling and there are much better programs as I have done.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to take that quote from them with an grain of salt as the said almost the same thing when Sims 2013 was in production and it did not last very long. Even if it does last many more years it is only for those that like Sims 4 as others that find Sims 4 not that appealing or even the Sims series will move onto that are much more fulfilling and there are much better programs as I have done.

Well I'm glad you're playing something you enjoy. That's all that really matters. 😊
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Well I'm glad you're playing something you enjoy. That's all that really matters. 😊

It is easier for me and may be harder for others as the Sims series is not the only franchise or game I play. But do not get it wrong I am disappointed on Sims 4 outcome but do not hate it as it has some potential that EA/Maxis refuses to hone in on and for me it's future is already written and been planned an long time ago.:)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling I will not like the direction of TS5 so I am happy to get as long as I possibly can out of TS4. It's now my fave version anyway.

Honestly, I don't know how people start over and over again. TS4 is my first sims title with DLC and I'm not too thrilled to start back off at a base game and wait for DLC's to release over the years. TS5 would really have to blow my mind for me to do that, and the prices would have to come down. But if the rumors and speculation end up being true about TS5 it's something I'm probably not going to be investing in anyway. I don't mind just continuing to play TS4 like when people did with TS3.

The sims series has always done that, it's happened 4 times lol, however I think some of us now because the sims 4 has the most packs, most expensive and been going on for longer, alot of people are thinking the same way your thinking ( I'm one of them) @eternalrainn
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

Agreed, the game engine is getting old. It doesn't matter if you have a good computer. If they keep this game going for many more years without improving it the game is going to run worse and more people are going to have problems playing it.
    Basically. At 10 years the coding will be so old for the game. Sims 3 will run so well in comparison by the time the Sims 4 is done.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member

Basically. At 10 years the coding will be so old for the game. Sims 3 will run so well in comparison by the time the Sims 4 is done.

When my family and I used to all play Sims 3 on the computer, whenever we'd make an elder man the game would crash. No joke. Sims 4 isn't that close yet :D Not to mention all the other crashes....ah, Sims 3. I loved that game.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I agree if EA/Maxis does tweak their games when it should be and if the user is not literate in computing they may end up doing things that may not be necessary. I never had an problem in any of the Sims versions past or present for I know what my systems are capable of doing and not doing. Any situations that involves the devs fault in coding or failure to tweak that falls on them as there were times in the last version it was the devs fault for example the Ambition patch which the devs released before the Ambitions pack and it screwed up almost everyone's game until they rectified it and now you have Sims 4 which has less features and supposed not to have as many problems it is starting to. For me it is the way they do the AI system for the game relies on AI most of the time and it must be tweaked w/o delay especially after the addition on newer packs for there is many lines of coding within one main program and sometimes for me they do not interact the way they should be interacting.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    edited March 2021

For me it is not an matter of an engine getting older, it more of them doing something that the engine is not equipped to handle and actions will function as long it does not go outside it parameters. EA/Maxis for is trying to do things that the engine was not built to handle.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I wouldn't mind the game lasting more years if it wasn't so buggy and I thought the game engine could handle it. I don't think it can though. I'd rather see the game come to an end before it reaches a critical state especially with the Sims 5 threatening to be a multiplayer game. The Sims 4 might be my last sims game and I would like to keep it in a playable state.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2021
    Nikkih wrote: »

The sims series has always done that, it's happened 4 times lol, however I think some of us now because the sims 4 has the most packs, most expensive and been going on for longer, alot of people are thinking the same way your thinking ( I'm one of them) @eternalrainn

I think the reason simmers approach it this way now is because Sims 4 still feels like if it’s missing things (as opposed to its predecessors). And why finish something you paid a lot of money for, that’s still missing things. That feels unfair: continue adding stuff until it is complete first!

I think that’s never going to happen. They will keep adding bits and pieces that sound great and everything people asked for (vacuum cleaning) and then it turns out to have flaws and shortcomings again and people don’t want the series to end because those issues need fixing first and... it’s a perpetuum mobile really. And a very clever marketing strategy, I think it’s intentional.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I agree if EA/Maxis does tweak their games when it should be and if the user is not literate in computing they may end up doing things that may not be necessary. I never had an problem in any of the Sims versions past or present for I know what my systems are capable of doing and not doing. Any situations that involves the devs fault in coding or failure to tweak that falls on them as there were times in the last version it was the devs fault for example the Ambition patch which the devs released before the Ambitions pack and it screwed up almost everyone's game until they rectified it and now you have Sims 4 which has less features and supposed not to have as many problems it is starting to. For me it is the way they do the AI system for the game relies on AI most of the time and it must be tweaked w/o delay especially after the addition on newer packs for there is many lines of coding within one main program and sometimes for me they do not interact the way they should be interacting.
    Yeah that is why I always worry when something gets nerfed because it breaks the coding bad for years and tends to create so many bugs in the process. When packs get released I always cringe because I'm like what are Simmers going to ask for to break the coding this time? It is just bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Yeah that is why I always worry when something gets nerfed because it breaks the coding bad for years and tends to create so many bugs in the process. When packs get released I always cringe because I'm like what are Simmers going to ask for to break the coding this time? It is just bad.

For me the problem does not only pertain to Sim 4 it was the same for the others and it all comes back to EA/Maxis and how often will they tweak the game and I agree and why some people ideas sound good when they say slow down on the addition of packs and work on the problems first before adding anything not because Joe Snuff just wants more and more and in the long run Joe Snuff will be complaining sooner or later about the problems in the game.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    if TS4 has many more years to come, what are you doing with TS5? Did she mean the game has many more years or the series has many more years.

I think a lot of dissatisfied players are going to jump on that statement and hope they're talking about the series but these are Sims 4 developers. They're talking about the Sims 4. I do think Sims 5 is in development but probably has a few years to go.

For some reason the 5th and 6th games in series for a few games, devs just....drag on and on with the current game. Bethesda is never gonna release TES6 for example lol, Skyrim was released 10 years ago.. I'm sure some people want them to just leave Sims 4 alone and hyper focus on Sims 5(I'm one of them) but this seems to be a thing now.
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Nikkih wrote: »

I think the reason simmers approach it this way now is because Sims 4 still feels like if it’s missing things (as opposed to its predecessors). And why finish something you paid a lot of money for, that’s still missing things. That feels unfair: continue adding stuff until it is complete first!

I think that’s never going to happen. They will keep adding bits and pieces that sound great and everything people asked for (vacuum cleaning) and then it turns out to have flaws and shortcomings again and people don’t want the series to end because those issues need fixing first and... it’s a perpetuum mobile really. And a very clever marketing strategy, I think it’s intentional.

Completely agree with both of you.
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    SamDenny wrote: »

For some reason the 5th and 6th games in series for a few games, devs just....drag on and on with the current game. Bethesda is never gonna release TES6 for example lol, Skyrim was released 10 years ago.. I'm sure some people want them to just leave Sims 4 alone and hyper focus on Sims 5(I'm one of them) but this seems to be a thing now.

Games in general are lasting a lot longer now. Instead of creating new games they continue to update existing ones. GTAO has been out since 2013 and it still receives weekly updates, patches, and DLC's, while maintaining a huge player-base still. I think games, including Sims 5, are going to go on for a decade, if not more before the next titles.