Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

2020 has been one of the best years for Free Content! (Positivity Thread)

Comments

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    [*] The super subtle saucer light is really great for building. They saw how popular the regular one was sized down so they added an even smaller one! I really like that and I use it in basically every build.
    Just a downscaled, cheaper version of an already-existing light. It's great for builders (especially Game Changers making budget challenge videos) and it helps people have nice homes when they're struggling. But it's nothing really special, interesting or unique, imo.

Not everything has to be complex lol. It's just a nice addition which is v useful for those of us who don't like giant lights obstructing our game. I place them in every single lot now
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Build mode has been nearly perfected with the additions to it this year. And now CAS is getting a substantial overhaul to its skin tones. Lets put this same energy into live mode eh?

well you got to start somewhere and I know builders didn't get anything for a long time
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2020
    Gordy wrote: »

We also got the inventory update. I don't use it since big inventories can mess up your game, but I'm sure other people found it very helpful. It's pretty swaggy.
    It helps for CC users too. But yes nice that patches aren't being held back anymore for laptop 32 bit users anymore since the legacy update. So we can get things like the upgraded skin update now for beefier computers. I know that it was causing a lot of gameplay to be held back too for 32 bit computers. They really need to do a 64 bit update for Windows Sims 3 too. It helps a lot with memory leak issues upgrading to 64 bit.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    I really wish I could be excited about updates like firemen that poof onto the lot instead of driving up in a firetruck or a hot tub given free to everyone when I already paid for it instead of giving us something new like a in-ground hot tub or a saucer light which I had been downsizing anyway at best slight convenience update. The window and ladder update are nice but with what I already listed are far from the best year of updates at this point even if the skin tones and makeup slider are done right still far from the best year a lot of visual not much game play.

The best year of free content was the year we got toddlers none of the stuff you mentioned even comes close to a fully fleshed out life stage being added to the game now if they snuck in babies before the year ended I'd give 2020 the year of free updates.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited October 2020
    Pls pls pls don’t praise these minor add-ons as acts of god. 😑

Add: @Justin lol ya it suddenly became “positivity thread” 😂 yo pls pls pls don’t be that Stockholmy, it’s just a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 window placement and hot tub we already paid for 🤣
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    edited October 2020
    Free content that should've been in the base game at launch. 😏 IMO.. they shouldn't be delaying other resources to play catch up. It's nice to have the missing features, but it's not fixing what's broken or lack of what the game needs. Fluff.. the only thing that matters is the sims and they're severely lacking intelligence and personality.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I think it's been a lovely year for updates. The subtle saucer light has been a big improvement for me and I use it all the time. It's really improved the lighting in my houses and I'm delighted with that.
    I never use firemen or repomen much so that doesn't bother me but it's lovely for the people that were looking forward to them <3

I'm actually quite fond of the hot tub we got in February, I think it's lovely. I actually like it better than the ones from Perfect Patio 🤷 :D

I think it might be an unpopular opinion but I like the fact we get free content in a lot of the patches. We never got anything to this extent in Sims 3, despite requests for it so I think it's great that we do get new stuff in the patches. After all, if things like ladders, firemen and repomen where locked behind a pack, that would cause uproar, wouldn't it? ;)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    And background buildings added to debug
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Options
    asa144asa144 Posts: 606 Member
    edited October 2020
    I think that this has been the worst year for content in general (when you consider paid as well as free). Wasn't interested in any of the packs that came out this year.
  • Options
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    We never got anything to this extent in Sims 3, despite requests for it so I think it's great that we do get new stuff in the patches. After all, if things like ladders, firemen and repomen where locked behind a pack, that would cause uproar, wouldn't it? ;)

We got a lot more in TS3 base game and EPs than what we are getting now though. The amount of content they include in TS4 EPs is a joke, considering what they charge.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    asa144 wrote: »
    We got a lot more in TS3 base game and EPs than what we are getting now though. The amount of content they include in TS4 EPs is a joke, considering what they charge.

I was referring to the free content updates. As I'm sure you were aware.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    asa144 wrote: »

I was referring to the free content updates. As I'm sure you were aware.

Yes, but my point is that the free updates look less impressive when one considers how lacking the paid content is.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,490 Member
    edited October 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.
    In a world of capitalism we get nothing for free.

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.

Look @Onverser I had no intention to arrive with a negative energy (since this is a positivity thread), but what I said is not really my opinion. It's a simple fact that big corporations don't give anything for free, even if it seems that way. Somewhere along the way we paid for what's in the 'free goodiebag.' EA/Maxis is not a charity.

I would certainly not have been cheerful if I had to pay extra for toddlers, pools, ghosts or ladders. These are fundamental features that belong in Base Game.

In saying that, I'm very happy that we keep getting the updates. I don't care much for fire-or repo-folk, but I'm delighted with the windows/doors improvements, the ladders and the new inventory system. I'm looking forward to seeing how the skin tones and sliders will function in the upcoming patches and I'm sure we'll get more objects this year.

Whether this has been a great year for content updates depends on how they add value to the game of each individual player. For some 'Toddlers' was that year, for others 'The Year of the Pool Tool'.

For me it would be one of the best years if I was able to place ceiling tiles. Or finally get some body hair. Well, I already have that. I meant for my sims. :#
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I really really love what they added with the windows and doors the best but all the content and all the effort is appreciated. I wish more people would post positivity threads. All the complaining and negativity is a waste of time in my opinion and time is precious.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.

Look @Onverser I had no intention to arrive with a negative energy (since this is a positivity thread), but what I said is not really my opinion. It's a simple fact that big corporations don't give anything for free, even if it seems that way. Somewhere along the way we paid for what's in the 'free goodiebag.' EA/Maxis is not a charity.

I would certainly not have been cheerful if I had to pay extra for toddlers, pools, ghosts or ladders. These are fundamental features that belong in Base Game.

In saying that, I'm very happy that we keep getting the updates. I don't care much for fire-or repo-folk, but I'm delighted with the windows/doors improvements, the ladders and the new inventory system. I'm looking forward to seeing how the skin tones and sliders will function in the upcoming patches and I'm sure we'll get more objects this year.

Whether this has been a great year for content updates depends on how they add value to the game of each individual player. For some 'Toddlers' was that year, for others 'The Year of the Pool Tool'.

For me it would be one of the best years if I was able to place ceiling tiles. Or finally get some body hair. Well, I already have that. I meant for my sims. :#

I agree with Onverser on this. I don't think you are employed at a level where you see what corporations actually lose in revenue on an annual basis or how the losses are accrued. Sometimes free stuff really is free. About 99 % of the time, it is a marketing move, a way to attract more clients or buyers. and Captain_NXR7, you have posted a lot of negative stuff. I'm surprised that you and the other unhappy simmers haven't moved on to other games yet.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited October 2020
    I really really love what they added with the windows and doors the best but all the content and all the effort is appreciated. I wish more people would post positivity threads. All the complaining and negativity is a waste of time in my opinion and time is precious.

no. if it wasn't for the complaints many of the stuff you're happy to finally see in game wouldn't be there. because companies improve their products basing it on their customer's opinions. now imagine if everyone settled with the base game from back in 2014?
    you can be positive AND still want for a change. i always say i like cas, build mode and graphics in ts4 but the gameplay is lacking and the professionalism in the devs is lacking as well. everyone makes mistakes but it's not cool to excuse yourself and mock your players when it happens, because it's not our fault.
    settling is something humans never do because it allows for evolution. in this case we are only talking about a videogame, but even a simple videogame can mean a lot to a lot of people. as an example i love this franchise because of all the love and care put into the past sims games, but i don't see it in ts4. past sims games set on us very high expectations and ts4 is setting on us the opposite.
    what some people sees as "negativity and complaining" i see it as way to try to improve something. yes, of course being here repeating my opinion for the 1000th time is a waste of time but to me, if i see those changes in the game then all the time will have been worth it.
    anyways i already lost enough time downloading tons of cc and playing ts4 pretending it was fun.
    i say it again, i am still here in these forums because i love the franchise as a whole and i want it to be amazing again. i see a lot of people bashing ts4 in other games, in social media, in paralives, everywhere. people doesn't complain for fun, it's very clear that there's something wrong with the game. if you don't like "negativity" you can just ignore our opinions and play the game, literally no one is stopping you.

edit: forgot this was a positivity thread only, i think i'm pretty positive cause i still have hope for the game, but i guess my opinion is not welcome here, my apologies.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,490 Member
    edited October 2020
    and Captain_NXR7, you have posted a lot of negative stuff. I'm surprised that you and the other unhappy simmers haven't moved on to other games yet.

@SimsLady2000 I believe you may have confused me with someone else. Or perhaps you only read one kind of post by me that you somehow deem 'negative'.
    I admit that I have plenty of criticism about the game and I'll make sure to voice my concerns here, but that doesn't go without me sharing ideas on this forum about what I would still like to see in TS4. The reason I do that is because I'm aware that Maxis employees read these forums and may or may not decide to take ideas on board. If I keep quiet, I can't complain after. But I won't go around intentionally insulting or bullying others, or complain for the sake of complaining. At least I hope I never made anyone feel that way. They can let me know in a discussion or via PM. Or simply hit the 'ignore' button.
    I value other people's opinions. We're all individuals, we all want different things and no one is to say that's right or wrong. It just is.

I also hang around plenty of positivity threads, being positive 'n all.
    I'm even one of those 'Nobodies' who asked for-and got a Star Wars pack. I'm delighted with that one. Sure, it's not perfect, and I will say so, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. I suggest you check out the positivity thread dedicated to that one.
    There have been plenty of folks saying 'why not go and play a Star Wars game if you want Star Wars.'
    Interesting that now I hear 'if you're not happy with TS4 why not go and play other games'.
    Looks like people are eager to get rid of me one way or another. :D

But joking aside: NO. I'm not going to 'move on to other games'. Because I like investing my time in this one and I would like it to be as good as it can for as long as it's still in development. So I open my mouth. Believe it or not, I actually like Sims 4 and I've been loud and clear about that too.

I'm certainly not an unhappy simmer. Just a happy, but very critical one. ;)
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020
    Justin wrote: »
    Kinda funny how the title changed to “positivity thread” now lol

It was clearly a positivity thread from the start? The fact that I said I wasn't gonna argue with you and then you come back making snide remarks to get a reaction says a lot about you.

I'm really tired of this side of the community that feel the need to come in mob handed and try to drag every positive thread down. (this isn't just the people commenting its also the people who sit there and don't say anything but like all the negative comments or "drags".) Let us be happy about certain features without it turning into a debate or an argument. If you want to moan about how much you dislike the game, then please, take your opinions to the many many threads on that topic rather than specifically coming to every positive thread to attack the OPs opinions and turn it into an "us vs them" scenario.

I found it funny how when someone doesn’t agree with something they right away go with “positivity thread only”. Can’t expect everyone to agree with you on certain things. This is a public forum . You’re going to get people with their different views on things. No one is attacking you & sorry if you consider my remark as an attack towards you. I just pointed out how when someone doesn’t agree or like to hear other peoples side they right away go with “positivity thread only”. In truth, you’re just taking peoples opinions of the game too personal. That’s not healthy. I’m not here to debate with you so again, sorry for making you feel a certain way but you really need to chill.
    Post edited by Justin on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I agree with Onverser on this. I don't think you are employed at a level where you see what corporations actually lose in revenue on an annual basis or how the losses are accrued. Sometimes free stuff really is free. About 99 % of the time, it is a marketing move, a way to attract more clients or buyers. and Captain_NXR7, you have posted a lot of negative stuff. I'm surprised that you and the other unhappy simmers haven't moved on to other games yet.

So people who have played the game for the longest & see things that are missing or flawed shouldn’t express it? Are we not allowed to say what we want improved with the game? Are we suppose to be happy all the time & act like nothing is lacking with the game? Can we not have different opinions and views as yours? Most of the things he posts are not negative but constructive criticism. Same goes for a lot of other “unhappy simmers “ as you call them. Learn the difference.
  • Options

So people who have played the game for the longest & see things that are missing or flawed shouldn’t express it? Are we not allowed to say what we want improved with the game? Are we suppose to be happy all the time & act like nothing is lacking with the game? Can we not have different opinions and views as yours? Most of the things he posts are not negative but constructive criticism. Same goes for a lot of other “unhappy simmers “ as you call them. Learn the difference.

you don't know if you've played longer then her
  • Options
    edited October 2020

How did I say I played longer then her? No where did I assume I did. But most of the constructive criticism comes from long term players which is why I stated what I said. But again, where did I say I play longer then her? Please don’t twist my words or say things I didn’t say.
  • Options

It was clearly a positivity thread from the start? The fact that I said I wasn't gonna argue with you and then you come back making snide remarks to get a reaction says a lot about you.

I'm really tired of this side of the community that feel the need to come in mob handed and try to drag every positive thread down. (this isn't just the people commenting its also the people who sit there and don't say anything but like all the negative comments or "drags".) Let us be happy about certain features without it turning into a debate or an argument. If you want to moan about how much you dislike the game, then please, take your opinions to the many many threads on that topic rather than specifically coming to every positive thread to attack the OPs opinions and turn it into an "us vs them" scenario.

I found it funny how when someone doesn’t agree with something they right away go with “positivity thread only”. Can’t expect everyone to agree with you on certain things. This is a public forum . You’re going to get people with their different views on things. No one is attacking you & sorry if you consider my remark as an attack towards you. I just pointed out how when someone doesn’t agree or like to hear other peoples side they right away go with “positivity thread only”. In truth, you’re just taking peoples opinions of the game too personal. That’s not healthy. I’m not here to debate with you so again, sorry for making you feel a certain way but you really need to chill. It’s not that serious.

there are negative only threads to I like talking about stuff as much as the next person but going in to other people threads to complain
    and take them off topic is just rude
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I found it funny how when someone doesn’t agree with something they right away go with “positivity thread only”. Can’t expect everyone to agree with you on certain things. This is a public forum . You’re going to get people with their different views on things. No one is attacking you & sorry if you consider my remark as an attack towards you. I just pointed out how when someone doesn’t agree or like to hear other peoples side they right away go with “positivity thread only”. In truth, you’re just taking peoples opinions of the game too personal. That’s not healthy. I’m not here to debate with you so again, sorry for making you feel a certain way but you really need to chill. It’s not that serious.

there are negative only threads to I like talking about stuff as much as the next person but going in to other people threads to complain
    and take them off topic is just rude

When OP said “ I know 2020 has been disappointing for packs in the Sims 4, but when it comes to free updates I'd honestly say 2020 has been one of if not the best years for this game just because of the amount of useful stuff and the variety of useful stuff they've added”

It was not all “positivity “ there was also criticism. This thread didn’t become “positive” until the title was changed.
  • Options

How did I say I played longer then her? No where did I assume I did. But most of the constructive criticism comes from long term players which is why I stated what I said. But again, where did I say I play longer then her? Please don’t twist my words or say things I didn’t say.

by saying what you said you were implying that she hasn't played as long as you sorry if I some how misunderstood you but thats how it came across also this no long time simmer likes the game thing is just not true there are many people people who started with sims 1 who like it
    a lot
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Build mode has been nearly perfected with the additions to it this year. And now CAS is getting a substantial overhaul to its skin tones. Lets put this same energy into live mode eh?

well you got to start somewhere and I know builders didn't get anything for a long time

True! Remember when the community thought that builders were forgotten about?