Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

2020 has been one of the best years for Free Content! (Positivity Thread)

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020
    Justin wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.
    In a world of capitalism we get nothing for free.

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.

Look @Onverser I had no intention to arrive with a negative energy (since this is a positivity thread), but what I said is not really my opinion. It's a simple fact that big corporations don't give anything for free, even if it seems that way. Somewhere along the way we paid for what's in the 'free goodiebag.' EA/Maxis is not a charity.

I would certainly not have been cheerful if I had to pay extra for toddlers, pools, ghosts or ladders. These are fundamental features that belong in Base Game.

In saying that, I'm very happy that we keep getting the updates. I don't care much for fire-or repo-folk, but I'm delighted with the windows/doors improvements, the ladders and the new inventory system. I'm looking forward to seeing how the skin tones and sliders will function in the upcoming patches and I'm sure we'll get more objects this year.

Whether this has been a great year for content updates depends on how they add value to the game of each individual player. For some 'Toddlers' was that year, for others 'The Year of the Pool Tool'.

For me it would be one of the best years if I was able to place ceiling tiles. Or finally get some body hair. Well, I already have that. I meant for my sims. :#

I agree with Onverser on this. I don't think you are employed at a level where you see what corporations actually lose in revenue on an annual basis or how the losses are accrued. Sometimes free stuff really is free. About 99 % of the time, it is a marketing move, a way to attract more clients or buyers. and Captain_NXR7, you have posted a lot of negative stuff. I'm surprised that you and the other unhappy simmers haven't moved on to other games yet.

So people who have played the game for the longest & see things that are missing or flawed shouldn’t express it? Are we not allowed to say what we want improved with the game? Are we suppose to be happy all the time & act like nothing is lacking with the game? Can we not have different opinions and views as yours? Most of the things he posts are not negative but constructive criticism. Same goes for a lot of other “unhappy simmers “ as you call them. Learn the difference.

you don't know if you've played longer then her

How did I say I played longer then her? No where did I assume I did. But most of the constructive criticism comes from long term players which is why I stated what I said. But again, where did I say I play longer then her? Please don’t twist my words or say things I didn’t say.

by saying what you said you were implying that she hasn't played as long as you sorry if I some how misunderstood you but thats how it came across also this no long time simmer likes the game thing is just not true there are many people people who started with sims 1 who like it
    a lot

Again, I’m not here to continue debating with anyone but yes there are those who like it but can also see the game isn’t “perfect”. If it wasn’t for people expressing their disappointment with skin tones we wouldn’t be seeing any improvement. It took 6 years while CC creators took less time making them because they knew from the start it was lacking. Just because you like the game doesn’t mean you can’t see things that are wrong with it. I like the game too but I have things I want to see improved on & there’s nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.
    In a world of capitalism we get nothing for free.

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.

Look @Onverser I had no intention to arrive with a negative energy (since this is a positivity thread), but what I said is not really my opinion. It's a simple fact that big corporations don't give anything for free, even if it seems that way. Somewhere along the way we paid for what's in the 'free goodiebag.' EA/Maxis is not a charity.

I would certainly not have been cheerful if I had to pay extra for toddlers, pools, ghosts or ladders. These are fundamental features that belong in Base Game.

In saying that, I'm very happy that we keep getting the updates. I don't care much for fire-or repo-folk, but I'm delighted with the windows/doors improvements, the ladders and the new inventory system. I'm looking forward to seeing how the skin tones and sliders will function in the upcoming patches and I'm sure we'll get more objects this year.

Whether this has been a great year for content updates depends on how they add value to the game of each individual player. For some 'Toddlers' was that year, for others 'The Year of the Pool Tool'.

For me it would be one of the best years if I was able to place ceiling tiles. Or finally get some body hair. Well, I already have that. I meant for my sims. :#

I agree with Onverser on this. I don't think you are employed at a level where you see what corporations actually lose in revenue on an annual basis or how the losses are accrued. Sometimes free stuff really is free. About 99 % of the time, it is a marketing move, a way to attract more clients or buyers. and Captain_NXR7, you have posted a lot of negative stuff. I'm surprised that you and the other unhappy simmers haven't moved on to other games yet.

So people who have played the game for the longest & see things that are missing or flawed shouldn’t express it? Are we not allowed to say what we want improved with the game? Are we suppose to be happy all the time & act like nothing is lacking with the game? Can we not have different opinions and views as yours? Most of the things he posts are not negative but constructive criticism. Same goes for a lot of other “unhappy simmers “ as you call them. Learn the difference.

you don't know if you've played longer then her

How did I say I played longer then her? No where did I assume I did. But most of the constructive criticism comes from long term players which is why I stated what I said. But again, where did I say I play longer then her? Please don’t twist my words or say things I didn’t say.

by saying what you said you were implying that she hasn't played as long as you sorry if I some how misunderstood you but thats how it came across also this no long time simmer likes the game thing is just not true there are many people people who started with sims 1 who like it
    a lot

Again, I’m not here to continue debating with anyone but yes there are those who like it but it’s not wrong for anyone to share different opinions or things they want to see in the game or improved. If it wasn’t for people expressing their disappointment with skin tones we wouldn’t be seeing any improvement. Again, it took 6 years while CC creators took less time making them because they knew from the start it was lacking. Just because you like the game doesn’t mean you can’t see things that are wrong with it. The sims 4 isn’t perfect. I like the game too but I have things I want to see improved on.

no its not wrong to share different opinions or want the game to get better I personally don't think you can have a good thread with out a lot
    of opinions negative and Positive I don't care if its constructive criticism or not people shouldn't have to go to all the trouble to make there criticism constructive if they don't like the game they should be able to say so but some people don't want to talk about everything
    they just want to have a happy or unhappy thread me I'm here to read others opinions and social but I try to respect what other people want
    if you want to start a thread about the criticisms of the sims 4 this year I will gladly join you believe me I have some to add maybe I'll make thread myself :)@Justin
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    filipomel wrote: »
    Build mode has been nearly perfected with the additions to it this year. And now CAS is getting a substantial overhaul to its skin tones. Lets put this same energy into live mode eh?

well you got to start somewhere and I know builders didn't get anything for a long time

True! Remember when the community thought that builders were forgotten about?

yes I do
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,907 Member
    I've been happy with most of this year's updates. Especially off the grid, bills, and inventory. Really looking forward to the skintones update so I can finish creating some of my sims' relatives.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2020
    Kinda funny how the title changed to “positivity thread” now lol

It was clearly a positivity thread from the start? The fact that I said I wasn't gonna argue with you and then you come back making snide remarks to get a reaction says a lot about you.

I'm really tired of this side of the community that feel the need to come in mob handed and try to drag every positive thread down. (this isn't just the people commenting its also the people who sit there and don't say anything but like all the negative comments or "drags".) Let us be happy about certain features without it turning into a debate or an argument. If you want to moan about how much you dislike the game, then please, take your opinions to the many many threads on that topic rather than specifically coming to every positive thread to attack the OPs opinions and turn it into an "us vs them" scenario.

I found it funny how when someone doesn’t agree with something they right away go with “positivity thread only”. Can’t expect everyone to agree with you on certain things. This is a public forum . You’re going to get people with their different views on things. No one is attacking you & sorry if you consider my remark as an attack towards you. I just pointed out how when someone doesn’t agree or like to hear other peoples side they right away go with “positivity thread only”. In truth, you’re just taking peoples opinions of the game too personal. That’s not healthy. I’m not here to debate with you so again, sorry for making you feel a certain way but you really need to chill.

Did you even read my comments? I said you're free to have your opinion and I'll have mine but let's not argue over it. I changed the title because as I said, I didn't want to argue, and I didn't want this thread turning into an argument. Then after that for absolutely no reason you came back to mock the title, that was the negativity I was talking about.
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I’m super excited for the skintones and basegame hairs update (makeup slider too!) :smiley: I’m gonna have so much fun trying it out :lol:
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    The hot tub would be a nice addition if sims actually used them.

Honestly the hot tub being free made me glad I never bought it. What do they even do? I tell my sim to get in it so they sit there for five seconds before getting out to get a glass of water. They never stay in it or do anything in it. They can woohoo in it I guess but that's the only interesting feature

Bath Tub is one the the classic piece that really dates back in The Sims classic. The another purpose beside woohoo is chatting together with friends holding cups of nectar very common practice of social gathering in 80's. Also, you can directly broadcast music too in the bathtub, and you need a piece of a music which dedicates THIS bath tub:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbfUhOZ9JA
    No joke! This music is composed for the bathtub social, the name "Jaccuzi" is the fancy name for the tub.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    I really really love what they added with the windows and doors the best but all the content and all the effort is appreciated. I wish more people would post positivity threads. All the complaining and negativity is a waste of time in my opinion and time is precious.

no. if it wasn't for the complaints many of the stuff you're happy to finally see in game wouldn't be there. because companies improve their products basing it on their customer's opinions. now imagine if everyone settled with the base game from back in 2014?
    you can be positive AND still want for a change. i always say i like cas, build mode and graphics in ts4 but the gameplay is lacking and the professionalism in the devs is lacking as well. everyone makes mistakes but it's not cool to excuse yourself and mock your players when it happens, because it's not our fault.
    settling is something humans never do because it allows for evolution. in this case we are only talking about a videogame, but even a simple videogame can mean a lot to a lot of people. as an example i love this franchise because of all the love and care put into the past sims games, but i don't see it in ts4. past sims games set on us very high expectations and ts4 is setting on us the opposite.
    what some people sees as "negativity and complaining" i see it as way to try to improve something. yes, of course being here repeating my opinion for the 1000th time is a waste of time but to me, if i see those changes in the game then all the time will have been worth it.
    anyways i already lost enough time downloading tons of cc and playing ts4 pretending it was fun.
    i say it again, i am still here in these forums because i love the franchise as a whole and i want it to be amazing again. i see a lot of people bashing ts4 in other games, in social media, in paralives, everywhere. people doesn't complain for fun, it's very clear that there's something wrong with the game. if you don't like "negativity" you can just ignore our opinions and play the game, literally no one is stopping you.

edit: forgot this was a positivity thread only, i think i'm pretty positive cause i still have hope for the game, but i guess my opinion is not welcome here, my apologies.
    I agree with that. Why I thought the whole sides thing was silly. I have seen fans of all backgrounds be positive and negative and in between with the Sims franchise. I feel like those that put those labels are just looking for excuses to act entitled. We all deserve to play on the playground and those that can't share well there are competition games like Fornite and LOL to vent on. End of the day we are a community playing on a park of life and we have the choice to play with others on social media or not. Why I like constructive feedback where Simmers look for the community as a whole and selfless interests. Why bug reports a lot, it benefits everyone. I think when it comes to the Sims the community holds equal responsibility for the game direction as Maxis does, so it is ok to be at fault sometimes and be wrong. Makes us human. Life isn't perfect so it is like why should our Sims be? That is why the Sims lost its humanity because of society's desire to be on team Edward (negative) team Jacob (positive) sides figuratively with the Sims franchise. Thank goodness humans have more emotions than just two.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    I really really love what they added with the windows and doors the best but all the content and all the effort is appreciated. I wish more people would post positivity threads. All the complaining and negativity is a waste of time in my opinion and time is precious.

no. if it wasn't for the complaints many of the stuff you're happy to finally see in game wouldn't be there. because companies improve their products basing it on their customer's opinions. now imagine if everyone settled with the base game from back in 2014?
    you can be positive AND still want for a change. i always say i like cas, build mode and graphics in ts4 but the gameplay is lacking and the professionalism in the devs is lacking as well. everyone makes mistakes but it's not cool to excuse yourself and mock your players when it happens, because it's not our fault.
    settling is something humans never do because it allows for evolution. in this case we are only talking about a videogame, but even a simple videogame can mean a lot to a lot of people. as an example i love this franchise because of all the love and care put into the past sims games, but i don't see it in ts4. past sims games set on us very high expectations and ts4 is setting on us the opposite.
    what some people sees as "negativity and complaining" i see it as way to try to improve something. yes, of course being here repeating my opinion for the 1000th time is a waste of time but to me, if i see those changes in the game then all the time will have been worth it.
    anyways i already lost enough time downloading tons of cc and playing ts4 pretending it was fun.
    i say it again, i am still here in these forums because i love the franchise as a whole and i want it to be amazing again. i see a lot of people bashing ts4 in other games, in social media, in paralives, everywhere. people doesn't complain for fun, it's very clear that there's something wrong with the game. if you don't like "negativity" you can just ignore our opinions and play the game, literally no one is stopping you.

edit: forgot this was a positivity thread only, i think i'm pretty positive cause i still have hope for the game, but i guess my opinion is not welcome here, my apologies.
    I agree with that. Why I thought the whole sides thing was silly. I have seen fans of all backgrounds be positive and negative and in between with the Sims franchise. I feel like those that put those labels are just looking for excuses to act entitled. We all deserve to play on the playground and those that can't share well there are competition games like Fornite and LOL to vent on. End of the day we are a community playing on a park of life and we have the choice to play with others on social media or not. Why I like constructive feedback where Simmers look for the community as a whole and selfless interests. Why bug reports a lot, it benefits everyone. I think when it comes to the Sims the community holds equal responsibility for the game direction as Maxis does, so it is ok to be at fault sometimes and be wrong. Makes us human. Life isn't perfect so it is like why should our Sims be? That is why the Sims lost its humanity because of society's desire to be on team Edward (negative) team Jacob (positive) sides figuratively with the Sims franchise. Thank goodness humans have more emotions than just two.

exactly! some people needs to understand that this is not a competition about who is a better person, because that's ridiculous. this is a videogame forum where we are just posting our honest opinion about the product regardless if it's "positive" or "negative" or whatever. we can disagree with someone else's comment but it doesn't mean we are hating or offending in a personal level.
    you are allowed to dislike something about whatever you're fan about, it doesn't mean you're a hater. you're allowed to like something from whatever you despise, it doesn't mean you agree with them on everything else. fanaticism is not healthy and this applies to everything.

i will keep posting my opinions whether someone likes it or not, whether i disagree with someone or not. opinions can change with time, too. of course i'll try to be polite not only cuz it'll get deleted otherwise lol, but because i truly want to see the franchise improve again. they're my opinions after all and no one is forced to read them. (but if you are a sims developer pls read♥)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Here's my thoughts on the updates you've mentioned
    • The super subtle saucer light - Great update
    • Free placement of windows and doors with stacking ability - Fantastic Update IMH! Been wanting to be able to do this since 2001
    • Both firemen and repomen being - It's a meh for me, firemen usually come after my sims put out the fire and then reprimand me, the repoman is one of those take or leave it kind of things, I didn't miss him not being in the game, and I wasn't one of the excited people for having him back
    • Ladders - Another Meh for, never used them in TS3 or TS4, I was hoping that this a prelude to bunk beds since the climbing animation is there
    • Skintones - That will be a great update, after spending the entire weekend in CAS creating a variety of sims it really sunk in just exactly how bad the skin tones are. I don't normally make too many sims, just a single person to control and I typically always use basically the same light tan skin tone, but trying to create unique multi-cultural sims is a nightmare right now, So yeah, this will be a great update!
    • Sliders for skin tones and makeup - I'm hoping the sliders actually fix some of EA's hideously light colored lipsticks, some of it just awful
    • Improvements to base game hairs - Much needed on those hideous cauliflower potato hairs
    • Big improvements to off the grid living - I don't ever play off the grid, so this is a meh for me, but happy for those that enjoy that sort of gameplay
    • The hot tub being made available for all players - Never use any of the hot tubs because they're ugly
    • A revamped bills system - I'm not even sure what changed
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,293 Member
    I’ve liked this year! True, I haven’t loved this year but I think what we have been given has ranged from “OMG yes finally” to “ah cheers for that mate, I guess...”

I feel like 2020 has been a very odd year for paid content. Like a filler episode of an anime! Cool but we just want to get on with the main plot now...

As for free content all I really want is split levelling! I have SO many builds that are on hold because it’s not in the game - I’m starting to worry that they’ll never be finished! I also want free babies and cars but I genuinely do think that they are working on those ones (just not what order or when) - I’ve noticed that the team get painfully quiet around subjects that are being worked on making us believe that they aren’t going to happen. The same thing happened with toddlies. I just have a feeling it’s gonna be sooner than what some people think. Of course, I’ll eat my hat if I’m wrong!

I’m really looking forward to seeing the skin tones in my game and the makeup (yes, OMG finally) as all my sims wear makeup (even my males sometimes). This will definitely be a CAS changer for me!