Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does this pack feels like PSa ?

Looking at the recent trailer.The pack is feeling less like a fun simmer pack, and more like a PSA?

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    What is a PSA?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited May 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    What is a PSA?

@Sigzy05 Public Service Announcement.
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    What is a PSA?

Public Service Announcement
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    So far, yes. But I'm hoping it's due to the style of the trailers and my average, non-trendy sims can incorporate the features of the pack into their lives without the propaganda vibe.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    well, yeah how dare they talking about caring for the environment :o:D:D
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    What is a PSA?

@Sigzy05 Public Service Announcement.

Thanks!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    well, yeah how dare they talking about caring for the environment :o:D:D

Yah, you miss my point.The pack seems to look like a psa.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Yah, you miss my point.The pack seems to look like a psa.

well, now that you have explained it so thoroughly I totally get it ;)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    It's too preachy, it's almost like not a game, let alone a sims game...
    Stop with the cringy voice acting and GET BACK TO THE REAL SIMS!
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Absolutely.

„Big changes can start small. With just a little effort, you can impact your world too.“
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    If it feels like a PSA to you, you are probably feeling guilty about something.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Absolutely.

„Big changes can start small. With just a little effort, you can impact your world too.“

Yah, I actually don't mind an eco pack.The way they present the pack.
  • Options

I'm not guilty about anything?
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Not really. I think it feels more like the original stuff pack voting. :)
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The trailers do. The information from the blogs and tweets make it sound more like you have lifestyle options and can play how you like, but the narration in the last trailer was all about pushing the green lifestyle.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited May 2020
    As I've said in my previous criticisms about the reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer, this pack really does feel like a PSA due to both its revealed content and the direction that the marketing team decided to go in. It approaches ecology and environmentalism in the same overly-simplified way as the PSA's that I remember seeing all the time when I was a kid. Ones like this one, which ran from the mid-80's to sometime in the mid-90's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MLdPPwv1I

A Sims expansion should NEVER remind people of Charlie the Cardinal, O.K.? It's too preachy to even be a Captain Planet episode...because at least that show had some edge to it (some actual villains, some real conflict, people's cousins dying of drug overdoses...way too hot for TS4...mind you, that was a KIDS' SHOW FOR VIEWERS 5 AND UP). No. This EP's trailers and what I've seen of it through them feel like a corny PSA that you would see on the commercial break while you're trying to watch cartoons--shallow, saccharine, and makes you just want to get up and take a bathroom break real quick...Wait. Is this EP the Sims Team's cue for us to get up and take a pee break...? That would explain SO MUCH...

But, it's not the theme that makes this pack feel like a PSA, it's the approach to that theme and the pack's marketing that makes it feel that way.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited May 2020
    If you think about it, being environmentally conscious is kind of an important thing in modern human life. Is it really that strange that a life simulator is diving into an extremely important area of modern human life?

I would argue caring about the environment is just as much a part of life as pets are, or the seasons, etc.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    No ?
    As I've said in my previous criticisms about the reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer, this pack really does feel like a PSA due to both its revealed content and the direction that the marketing team decided to go in. It approaches ecology and environmentalism in the same overly-simplified way as the PSA's that I remember seeing all the time when I was a kid. Ones like this one, which ran from the mid-80's to sometime in the mid-90's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MLdPPwv1I

A Sims expansion should NEVER remind people of Charlie the Cardinal, O.K.? It's too preachy to even be a Captain Planet episode...because at least that show had some edge to it (some actual villains, some real conflict, people's cousins dying of drug overdoses...way too hot for TS4...mind you, that was a KIDS' SHOW FOR VIEWERS 5 AND UP). No. This EP's trailers and what I've seen of it through them feel like a corny PSA that you would see on the commercial break while you're trying to watch cartoons--shallow, saccharine, and makes you just want to get up and take a bathroom break real quick...Wait. Is this EP the Sims Team's cue for us to get up and take a pee break...? That would explain SO MUCH...

But, it's not the theme that makes this pack feel like a PSA, it's the approach to that theme and the pack's marketing that makes it feel that way.

Exactly!

• Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Yes, but mostly because I think they tried to hard with the gameplay video. Elements felt too forced. If they had just shown the things included in the pack, it would have been good. But I didn't like the forced story effect. Same with the University trailer. I LOVE the solar power, vertical gardens, candlemaking, fizzy drinks, etc. The gameplay itself should sell itself, not having a cringy, attempt at being hip and trendy storyline.
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    The trailers do. The information from the blogs and tweets make it sound more like you have lifestyle options and can play how you like, but the narration in the last trailer was all about pushing the green lifestyle.

I agree the trailer told a really particular story about saving the enviornment and improving everybody's lives but the blog post was a little more informative about what's actually in it.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited May 2020
    filipomel wrote: »
    If you think about it, being environmentally conscious is kind of an important thing in modern human life. Is it really that strange that a life simulator is diving into an extremely important area of modern human life?

I would argue caring about the environment is just as much a part of life as pets are, or the seasons, etc.

Yes, I agree very strongly that taking care of the environment is important...but the way that this theme has been approached through this EP and its marketing is the same PSA environmentalism that dodges or glosses over the importance of things like bugging your elected officials to create and enforce environmentally-friendly regulations, voting for people who will support efforts to clean our planet up and keep it clean, and banding together against companies which put profits over protecting our environment, while patting the viewer on the head and telling them, "Plant some trees and pick up your garbage and everything will be juuuuust fine, Dear. Here, have a granola-raisin cookie."

I would have liked to see a bit more of that tougher, more "challenge the status quo, because it's killing our planet," environmentalism here, as opposed to just the surface stuff that you see in every PSA ever made. I would have liked to see some gameplay where the eco-friendly sims push back against a big polluter and picket outside of City Hall to demand greener policies. Instead, we get this old weak, "stay in your corner, Honey," environmentalism that doesn't trigger the greedy corporate types in the least and does only the bare minimum for the planet in real life. It's eye-rollingly bad.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I don't know. To me it seems more like they picked a Sim, imagined her to have a certain personality (which is something I also do while playing) and had her explain some gameplay aspects from her view. The problem for me was that I found her personality annoying as heck, which is why the trailer didn't speak to me as much as it could have. Maybe if they had picked a Sim like Knox, who is trying to get the votes for his community garden or a Sim who looks for treasures in the trash and uses the machines in the community maker space to upgrade stuff, that might have been more engaging.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Bobisbae wrote: »
    Daephene wrote: »

I agree the trailer told a really particular story about saving the enviornment and improving everybody's lives but the blog post was a little more informative about what's actually in it.

I definitely liked the blog much more than either trailer.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I didn't think much about Strangerville, but I love the build items. Almost the same here. I may not get into getting the environment cleaned up but I want the stuff that is in this pack...I don't even believe in climate change, lol. Mother Earth is a powerful thing and I honestly believe she can take care of herself, but that's for another time and place. You have to remember that the team, bless their hearts, live in Cali, where the stuff like taking care of the planet is mandatory for humans to do. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.