Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No interesting clothing in The Sims 4

I now have time to actually browse through all those clothes I never really looked at before or picked for my sims to wear, cause I tend to go for what I already know. While doing that I see I missed out on some clothing that just seemed to have disappeared under the pile of new clothing with every new pack.

I came to the realization that we actually still almost not have any interesting clothing. I mean, everything is just flat or tight clothing, nothing oversized, nothing flowy, barely tucked in clothes etc.
The Sims 4 started good with the clothing style for it's time, but now I feel they are a bit behind on the trends and sometimes totally hit and miss when they try to make 'modern' or 'interesting' clothing that just look too weirdly shaped and unnecessarily futuristic to me. These type of clothes have weirdly shaped bits and pieces to it that just don't seem right or realistic to wear casually. Yes, fashion these days can be 'weird', but it's very different than what I see in CAS. We now see a lot of 90's influences, 80's pants, layered clothing, big puffy and oversized, even minimalist earth toned clothing from obvious natural fibers etc.

The city where I live is on top of all the latest trends and daily I see a lot of good examples passing by that I'd like to see in The Sims 4 to actually make it feel as if my Sims also live in this time era.

Now Pinterest or Instagram are great places for good inspiration and I hope the devs are using these platforms in the right way on decision-making, cause I think it could improve a lot. To give this thread a little more meaning and filled with ideas, share your top 5 clothing pictures you either found online or just snapped a pic from that you'd like to see in The Sims 4 any time soon from now :)

I Just focused on female clothing for now.

Oversized tucked in sweaters:
8315e8d752f06df195cdcdee0b1a8ff0.jpg

Enough with the tight pants:
8bece39c6464b84744ffca3ca6a97d1a.jpg
cba56c188b3c3faa3e975de9bcfa0d2d.jpg

Long and big coats:
4094a4025898c9d0ff40e51d3a207958.jpg

Minimalist natural fibers (cotton, linen etc.)
f7936b5baaac571807446cd6f90e6f84.jpg

80s/90s style clothing are back!
7604179199f00f5cb251c03a094e9d16.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    Most of the clothing is recycled from the other games from what I've noticed since I've gone back to playing the sims 2 and 3. I really don't like the clothing style either, but I'm glad they did add more comfortable styles rather than just the trendy styles no one has heard of.

The modding community has done wonders for outfits that match ea cartoon style. When I do play 4 I always make sure my cc is to the max and up to date. Just for lack of options that I like.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I imagine that this would be better suited to the feedback forum.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Your thought - that the clothing is outdated and uninteresting - isn't particularly wrong, but I think there are technical limitations that would make many of these styles difficult to look good in the Sims 4. Nothing flows in the Sims 4 - not clothing, not hair. Clothing that in the real world is intended to fit loosely and flow tends to just make the figures look bulky.

In short, nice idea, but the game engine isn't up to it.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Personally, I don't think focusing on every new trend is a good idea. I live in an area that is more practical than trendy and by the time I find out what's in style, it's over. That happens in the game too, there are fashions that look very "out of style" and weird. If a sizable pack takes six months to two years to come out, the trends aren't going to be on point anyway.

I'd much rather they focus on fewer trendy pieces and more on practical, retro, historical, and creative wear - things that seem more ageless.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited March 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Maybe they'll make a Burlap Sack Pack just for you?

There is real diversity in clothing, from bikinis to daishikis, from toppers to turbans, from jeans to jodhpurs.

Do you not enjoy the game at all? I have literally never seen a positive comment from you.

They cannot possibly include everything. If nothing they have suits you at all, I suggest you do something else with your time.

And why should that be your concern? As you say yourself, there are different type of clothing styles, and so also different type of people on the forum. Those who only talk positive, those who like to give feedback and are more skeptic of content, those who do not like this game perhaps. Let them be.
    It's important to understand what you are saying in other matters as well.

The thread was meant for everyone to share their favorite style of clothing. No need to attack peoples personal taste. That's just a low leveled comment ;)
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    download cc. problem solved
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    One thing about the game lasting so long is that the fashions are going to get outdated. Going back to Sims 2 and 3, the clothes and patterns are very dated. Fingerless gloves and arm-warmers everywhere! All the studded belts!

I agree that the best solution is custom content. There won't be a lot of loose clothing, something I also miss in our fashion offerings, but as someone else said, that's part of this version of the game.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    It boils down to what we can create out of the resources we have been given. As has been pointed out, long lead times lead to missing the trend curve. Besides what is fashion for one is a horror show for another, tastes being differen. As have others, am findng that CC (especially that from Europe, Russia, & the Levant) is of high quality and has greatly expanded the options.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    Most of the clothing is recycled from the other games from what I've noticed since I've gone back to playing the sims 2 and 3. I really don't like the clothing style either, but I'm glad they did add more comfortable styles rather than just the trendy styles no one has heard of.

The modding community has done wonders for outfits that match ea cartoon style. When I do play 4 I always make sure my cc is to the max and up to date. Just for lack of options that I like.

Oh man, I've been playing TS2 the last few days and wheeew the teen clothing is so bad. I mean, it was super trendy for the 2000s but it is baaaaad looking at it now.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I think bone assignment is the main reason why we don't get loose clothes.
    It would need to still be assigned to a bone so it will move with that bone regardless of how loose the item appear to be, and would maybe not look natural/flowy. It would also clip with the world.

It can be done obviously, as cc proves it, but both downsides are things they specifically try to avoid.
    We give a bigger allowance for flaws to cc.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    If you haven't browsed through it before @Netzspannung has put together a wonderful thread where she puts together outfits with clothing that comes with the games and packs. I look at it every time she posts because I tend to use the same clothing pieces over and over for my sims if I have to pick. I don't want to .. but I don't really like looking through all the clothes and different patterns and sometimes need help with the odd pieces that don't seem to have a match that I can find anyway.
    This is the thread : https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required/p1

I agree with @LiELF though. I don't mind some trendy clothes but mostly I hope they stick with classics most often. We do have some oversized pieces but to me they just aren't very flattering. Maybe it's just hard to make them look good without having them clip or have other issues.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    My problem with the clothing in this game is that most of it feels like it was plucked straight out of the JC Penny insert in the Sunday paper. Not many over-the-top or edgy pieces to be seen, everything very preppy and boy/girl next door in flavor aside from a very few pieces from a few select packs, it's all very...Vanilla Suburbia... I'd like to see more hip-hop, goth, punk, grunge, metalhead, harajuku, and biker style influence in there. I'd like to see more fantasy/sci-fi anime and JRPG influence too. The style in TS4 is too "clean-cut" most of the time, which is painful when you're trying to make a character with a more wild or edgy style...and you can't find much of anything that works.

And what's with not all tops and full body outfits being compatible with necklaces?! Some of these things are so bland in the top area that they NEED something to spice them up up there, but then you go to add a necklace or a choker and it doesn't show up...? Yeah, that has needed a fix for the longest...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    I really like some of the clothing options that came in Island Living.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I just wish for a few more modest clothing options for female sims. Maybe it's just me, but I find it really hard to find good looking tops that aren't cropped or cap-sleeved. I have sims I could never imagine wearing something like that. The pants and skirt options are so much more diverse in that sense, but the tops...oh boy. I often reserve to removing the gender tag just to find something a bit less cheap looking.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I’d like more color options for clothes we already have, and more clothes, especially bottoms, for my boy sims (and more accessories kids in general they just don’t have enough). I also truly miss the color wheel. Also I’ve noticed the clothes either look cheep or expensive yet tacky... But that’s just me.

(I honestly spend HOURS in CAS making over the premades because half of the time their outfits are so bad.)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'd like more funky/odd/colorful clothing, and more modest fashions. I do have a lot of wonderful cc fashions.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    I do have a lot of wonderful cc fashions.
    Same here. It's well worth a few hundred CC clothing and accessories for the 15 minutes or so to filter out a small amount of broken CC clothing. Now that I know how to easily do it.

What I'd like to know how to do is turn on/off and item that is used in the random generator algorithm. I get too many sims with 'Fufu pants'. :D

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    kuriakoskuriakos Posts: 30 Member
    can i download clothes? and how :X sorry i am new
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2020
    I would say the best solution is EAxis creating more timeless clothing as @LiELF said, which there is a severe lack of. Not downloading CC. Sims 4 could definitely do with more, Base Game Sims 4 only has about 2/3 the clothing that Base Game Sims 3 has.

And there are some hairstyles and clothing I never use like that Emo one Caleb Vattore wears and some of the more ridiculous dresses.

Also, the clothing and hair in CAS needs names. Unless you recognise all the particular piece its hard to recreate outfits in CAS that you saw in screenshots, like in the fashion tthread by @Netzspannung . If they had names you could ask the creator of the screenshot

EDIT: spaling
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited March 2020
    If you don't mind cc, I could recommend some oversized clothing for you. Here's one of my favorite sweaters.
    03-23-20-8-52-52-PM.png

attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    AngelEb95 wrote: »
    If you don't mind cc, I could recommend some oversized clothing for you. Here's one of my favorite sweaters.

I do like the sweater! Where from? What's it called?

I d/l'd a bunch of those torn pants. Mostly for my poor or 'hillbilly' type Sims. Heh! I know it's a 'style'. My pants end up like that anyways with all the work I do. I remember years ago, I was looking to buy some good cargo-pants with all the pockets for traveling and camping, etc. All I could find was torn up 'brand new' ones for like $100. I was like, "What?". :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    AngelEb95 wrote: »

I do like the sweater! Where from? What's it called?

I d/l'd a bunch of those torn pants. Mostly for my poor or 'hillbilly' type Sims. Heh! I know it's a 'style'. My pants end up like that anyways with all the work I do. I remember years ago, I was looking to buy some good cargo-pants with all the pockets for traveling and camping, etc. All I could find was torn up 'brand new' ones for like $100. I was like, "What?". :D

I love me some good cargo pants. ❤️
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I feel ya tho. But the more trendy anything is in game, the sooner it's tacky and dated. So it's either bland and basic, or it's weird stuff that will be interesting to a few people for a short while and then clog the Sim closet forever. But take heart. That's what CC is for. Go get some CC and you'll be set.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I would say the best solution is EAxis creating more timeless clothing as @LiELF said, which there is a severe lack of. Not downloading CC. Sims 4 could definitely do with more, Base Game Sims 4 only has about 2/3 the clothing that Base Game Sims 3 has.

And there are some hairstyles and clothing I never use like that Emo one Caleb Vattore wears and some of the more ridiculous dresses.

Also, the clothing and hair in CAS needs names. Unless you recognise all the particular piece its hard to recreate outfits in CAS that you saw in screenshots, like in the fashion tthread by @Netzspannung . If they had names you could ask the creator of the screenshot

EDIT: spaling

😈tell me about it! Caleb's hair was 10 years out of date the day he was made! Maybe it's back by now? Maybe he's actually daring to make something tired, vintage again already...?🤪
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg