Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Have Yet To Fix One Problem, When Another One Smacks Me In The Face! UPDATE!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Did you delete the localthumbcache.package file before repairing and opening?

Oh, I'm uncertain if I did it before I hit repair. But, I do make a habit of deleting it prior to playing each time. Hm. Food for thought.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I think you just have to reinstall the whole thing. Seems like something got corrupted in there.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @GalacticGal :( no, the hospital visit wouldn't help at all in this case.

Since the missing meshes/skins are appearing in new saves too, I think it really is time for the old trusty "have you tried turning it off and back on again?", in this case uninstalling the game completely via Origin, cleaning up your PC (CCleaner or something similar) to make sure no files were left behind, and making a fresh install altogether.

I think one last test you can do:
    Create a new user account on the PC and running the game there.
    If the problem persists, it's definitely the core game files that are corrupted (which means you need a fresh install).

If not, it's the files in your own TS4 folder, which means you need to find a way to back it up and starting that folder anew (copying back only your saves/Tray/Screenshots/Mods). Which, uninstall and reinstall is one way of doing it.

But really, doing a new install of the game is likely your best option. Backup your saves, Tray, Screenshots, Mods, and Recorded Videos (if you have any) before you do so. The unfortunate thing is that there's a slight chance that your saves have also gotten corrupted but it's only a small one.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Thank you @darrenfroggy. This is crazy-insane and playing my game was a good way for me to decompress. Instead, it's serving as an irritant and stressing me out more than I normally am. I don't have Origin set to startup at launch. And I used to be able to pull the Sims 4 game folder out and let it regenerate. I was beginning to wonder if there's a limit to how often this can be done, though? I was able to finish a build I started yesterday without the game crashing, at least. However, even when I get my family created in CAS and they have normal skin tones, I did notice that one of the teens ended up with the red/white skin upon landing in the game. :open_mouth: I'd send them to the hospital, but I don't think that would help. :/

I'm comforted to a small degree that others (a whole 7 of us) are experiencing this strange phenomenon. Perhaps, EA will get it fixed and we'll receive a small patch and voila the problem with be gone.

I also noticed that I can't place a build from My Library, either. Which means my restaurants, my houses, et al are trapped. Every single time I tried to place a lot, the game would crash. Third time around, I decided to just move my family into Hounds-tooth, Hounds-End, Hounds- something or other in Brindleton Bay. The house is very limiting and I'm not happy. I may just build the lot again, that it won't let me place. Ho-hum. More building and not so much playing today. :'(

Thanks for all of your help.

Yes, I was thinking of a complete unintstall - evidently, repair isn't able to fix the bad file (it's probably the one that thinks it's in use). You might have to reboot after the uninstall to complete it (which I would do, anyway), as it might not be able to uninstall the file. Possibly even try booting in safe mode, with no internet support, if you've still got something hanging around. But, that's a fairly extreme option.

I hope poor Eric has survived through all this!
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options

Since the missing meshes/skins are appearing in new saves too, I think it really is time for the old trusty "have you tried turning it off and back on again?", in this case uninstalling the game completely via Origin, cleaning up your PC (CCleaner or something similar) to make sure no files were left behind, and making a fresh install altogether.

If the problem persists, it's definitely the core game files that are corrupted (which means you need a fresh install).

If not, it's the files in your own TS4 folder, which means you need to find a way to back it up and starting that folder anew (copying back only your saves/Tray/Screenshots/Mods). Which, uninstall and reinstall is one way of doing it.

But really, doing a new install of the game is likely your best option. Backup your saves, Tray, Screenshots, Mods, and Recorded Videos (if you have any) before you do so. The unfortunate thing is that there's a slight chance that your saves have also gotten corrupted but it's only a small one.

Yesterday, very late afternoon, I did a quick Internet search and read up on the uninstalling of the game. Prior, I would simply removed the game folder, itself, and then start the game, so it would regenerate. Then I could replace the Tray, saves, Mods, et al, that I needed. Seems, that was not the best advise I had been given. In order to do a proper uninstall, make a back up, then click uninstall through Origin. I did that. Then I selected reinstall when the uninstall completed. It took a bit of time, but I'm back up to 30 packs. (It was 30, then 29, and then 28) after I emptied my saves folder. From the sounds of it I may have wrecked my own game, for a time. When I get a chance to play it, I'll let you know if all is well. I'm not concerned about the save, as it was a restart, since I opted to throw out the previous saves anyway, thinking them already corrupted. This was back when I thought an outdated mod was to blame. So, if I have to restart one more time, it's not a problem. Because I am the Queen of Restarts! LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Thank you @darrenfroggy. This is crazy-insane and playing my game was a good way for me to decompress. Instead, it's serving as an irritant and stressing me out more than I normally am. I don't have Origin set to startup at launch. And I used to be able to pull the Sims 4 game folder out and let it regenerate. I was beginning to wonder if there's a limit to how often this can be done, though? I was able to finish a build I started yesterday without the game crashing, at least. However, even when I get my family created in CAS and they have normal skin tones, I did notice that one of the teens ended up with the red/white skin upon landing in the game. :open_mouth: I'd send them to the hospital, but I don't think that would help. :/

I'm comforted to a small degree that others (a whole 7 of us) are experiencing this strange phenomenon. Perhaps, EA will get it fixed and we'll receive a small patch and voila the problem with be gone.

I also noticed that I can't place a build from My Library, either. Which means my restaurants, my houses, et al are trapped. Every single time I tried to place a lot, the game would crash. Third time around, I decided to just move my family into Hounds-tooth, Hounds-End, Hounds- something or other in Brindleton Bay. The house is very limiting and I'm not happy. I may just build the lot again, that it won't let me place. Ho-hum. More building and not so much playing today. :'(

Yes, I was thinking of a complete unintstall - evidently, repair isn't able to fix the bad file (it's probably the one that thinks it's in use). You might have to reboot after the uninstall to complete it (which I would do, anyway), as it might not be able to uninstall the file. Possibly even try booting in safe mode, with no internet support, if you've still got something hanging around. But, that's a fairly extreme option.

Yeah, unfortunately, Erik's game save is quite gone. The only saving grace is that I still have a copy of that set of saves. I was going to restart him, anyway, so that uni would be out, and hopefully in my hot little hands, so to speak, so I could make a proper decision on his disposition. To college or not to college, that is the question. Later today, I hope to have a chance to see if the reinstall I did late yesterday had the desired effect. I pray, so. And I hope to have a chance to play this morning, because I have to babysit five of my grandchildren come just afternoon. That's including the infant twins! :open_mouth: I may well need to decompress when I get back home. LOL
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Yesterday, very late afternoon, I did a quick Internet search and read up on the uninstalling of the game. Prior, I would simply removed the game folder, itself, and then start the game, so it would regenerate. Then I could replace the Tray, saves, Mods, et al, that I needed. Seems, that was not the best advise I had been given. In order to do a proper uninstall, make a back up, then click uninstall through Origin. I did that. Then I selected reinstall when the uninstall completed. It took a bit of time, but I'm back up to 30 packs. (It was 30, then 29, and then 28) after I emptied my saves folder. From the sounds of it I may have wrecked my own game, for a time. When I get a chance to play it, I'll let you know if all is well. I'm not concerned about the save, as it was a restart, since I opted to throw out the previous saves anyway, thinking them already corrupted. This was back when I thought an outdated mod was to blame. So, if I have to restart one more time, it's not a problem. Because I am the Queen of Restarts! LOL

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you that the uninstall did the trick.
    Unfortunately, I think the "remove folder" is better advice for Macs than for Windows (I've been doing that a lot the past week thanks to Mac-specific issues. seems to be a bad week for Sims tech). Having all the packs back again is at least a good sign though :D

And hey, what is it they say? If at first you don't suceed, try and try again!
  • Options

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you that the uninstall did the trick.
    Unfortunately, I think the "remove folder" is better advice for Macs than for Windows (I've been doing that a lot the past week thanks to Mac-specific issues. seems to be a bad week for Sims tech). Having all the packs back again is at least a good sign though :D

And hey, what is it they say? If at first you don't suceed, try and try again!

It worked! I was able to download from My Library and there was nary a red/white sim to be seen among my many saved households! Whoopy!
  • Options
    UPDATE: I did the uninstall via Origin, leaving my folder intact after I copied it, just to be safe. And reinstalled via Origin. Game has no hint of the red/white Sims (which were peppered throughout my saved households) and I've been able to download from My Library without the game crashing on me! I didn't play very long. I was just so excited to see the game back the way it was prior to the last patch!

Again, I would like to express my gratitude to ALL of you for your ideas and support throughout my ordeal. Things are back on track. Now, I just have to start playing like crazy. :)
  • Options

Yeah, unfortunately, Erik's game save is quite gone. The only saving grace is that I still have a copy of that set of saves. I was going to restart him, anyway, so that uni would be out, and hopefully in my hot little hands, so to speak, so I could make a proper decision on his disposition. To college or not to college, that is the question. Later today, I hope to have a chance to see if the reinstall I did late yesterday had the desired effect. I pray, so. And I hope to have a chance to play this morning, because I have to babysit five of my grandchildren come just afternoon. That's including the infant twins! :open_mouth: I may well need to decompress when I get back home. LOL

Hmm, might be interesting to have a parallel version of Erik's life - one in which the window of opportunity opens and he jumps through it, and another in which he stays at school.
  • Options

Hmm, might be interesting to have a parallel version of Erik's life - one in which the window of opportunity opens and he jumps through it, and another in which he stays at school.

I like your thinking on this. Hm, two saves. I may be headed in that direction already. I'm experimenting with a brand new mod by the creator of Road to Fame. It's added back the suspense of random deaths/tragedies into the game. So far, Erik, on the very day after he managed to become a Notable Newcomer, was greeted by not one, but two Bullies. One was hanging outside of his home, and obviously followed him to the lounge in Del Sol Valley. The other one showed up there as well. Why Erik confronted the female, I don't know (must have been player malfunction on my part) but whereas he seemed to win the fight that ensued, she suddenly flattened him and proceeded to kick him whilst he was flat on his back! He came home rather beaten up, battered and bruised. It was a very bad day for him.
    72G4SM3.jpg
    x12foiB.jpg

The day wore on, he talked to both his father and his mother over what happened, and two of his brothers and his only sister. Suddenly, a taxi drove through their house, striking his mother and they found her dead on the side patio. Then since it was raining buckets, Erik still in shock over the hit and run, got struck by lightning. Yeah, he's pretty crispy and dazed. Then, while the family is still grieving and in shock, a random car (I didn't see this happen, sadly) mowed down his only sister on the BACK patio, furthest from the road. Yeah, my O/C is quite dead. Erik pleaded with Grimmie, but even though several of his family pleaded for their mother and wife, Grimmie turned a deaf ear. Brianna is a lovely shade of lavender in her ghostly form. This has changed the entire scope of my game.
    i38Wyhh.jpg

I'm enjoying this mod, for the randomness of it and it does add back that missing something, but I'm trying to decide if I should just carry on, or begin anew. I had barely started playing this game save, too. I may very well take your advice and start another game save with the same cast of characters, making certain to set the options on the mod to safeguard this household to a degree, so that they make it to the middle of next month! LOL
  • Options

I like your thinking on this. Hm, two saves. I may be headed in that direction already. I'm experimenting with a brand new mod by the creator of Road to Fame. It's added back the suspense of random deaths/tragedies into the game. So far, Erik, on the very day after he managed to become a Notable Newcomer, was greeted by not one, but two Bullies. One was hanging outside of his home, and obviously followed him to the lounge in Del Sol Valley. The other one showed up there as well. Why Erik confronted the female, I don't know (must have been player malfunction on my part) but whereas he seemed to win the fight that ensued, she suddenly flattened him and proceeded to kick him whilst he was flat on his back! He came home rather beaten up, battered and bruised. It was a very bad day for him.
    72G4SM3.jpg
    x12foiB.jpg

The day wore on, he talked to both his father and his mother over what happened, and two of his brothers and his only sister. Suddenly, a taxi drove through their house, striking his mother and they found her dead on the side patio. Then since it was raining buckets, Erik still in shock over the hit and run, got struck by lightning. Yeah, he's pretty crispy and dazed. Then, while the family is still grieving and in shock, a random car (I didn't see this happen, sadly) mowed down his only sister on the BACK patio, furthest from the road. Yeah, my O/C is quite dead. Erik pleaded with Grimmie, but even though several of his family pleaded for their mother and wife, Grimmie turned a deaf ear. Brianna is a lovely shade of lavender in her ghostly form. This has changed the entire scope of my game.
    i38Wyhh.jpg

I'm enjoying this mod, for the randomness of it and it does add back that missing something, but I'm trying to decide if I should just carry on, or begin anew. I had barely started playing this game save, too. I may very well take your advice and start another game save with the same cast of characters, making certain to set the options on the mod to safeguard this household to a degree, so that they make it to the middle of next month! LOL

Considering that the poor guy already attracts disaster like moths to a flame, I'm guessing he's not so thrilled about this mod!
  • Options

72G4SM3.jpg
    x12foiB.jpg

i38Wyhh.jpg

Considering that the poor guy already attracts disaster like moths to a flame, I'm guessing he's not so thrilled about this mod!

LOL What the female Bully said to him was atrocious. Something on the order of she imagined he was wishing his player would take him back into CAS and fix him! I was insulted. I think he's cute. LOL
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    What mod is that?! :o
  • Options

Life's Tragedies. It was just released.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member

By Sacrificial, right? Looks fun! Do you have your 'tragedies' set to 'very slow'? I like the idea of this, but a lot of these complex gameplay mods (I'm thinking 'Slice of Life' for example) are often 'over-tuned' imo, in that things happen far too frequently to be realistic and run the risk of just becoming annoying if you can't toggle things on and off, or at least reduce their frequency.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

By Sacrificial, right? Looks fun! Do you have your 'tragedies' set to 'very slow'? I like the idea of this, but a lot of these complex gameplay mods (I'm thinking 'Slice of Life' for example) are often 'over-tuned' imo, in that things happen far too frequently to be realistic and run the risk of just becoming annoying if you can't toggle things on and off, or at least reduce their frequency.

Yes it's by Sacrificial. The guy is a genius.

Originally, it was set on slow in the new game save, but I set it to normal. (Like I stated I'm experimenting with this new mod.) I think I may restart and set it to slow again. My Sims were at the lounge and the only daughter (this was the brand new save to counter the one that's gone completely haywire) was suddenly very sad at seeing a Sim with a fatal disease. I thought somebody had passed away and I noticed the Mixologist was no longer behind the bar. Turned out her next older brother sitting beside her was, apparently, exhibiting symptoms of a fatal illness. :open_mouth: I was able to quickly turn that off. But, yeah, it does give one a 'rush' that's been lacking since Sims2.