Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Catalina Fix it

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Macs are terrible for games. I can't even understand why people even buy them. :D

I can't even understand why people buy Windows PCs. Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful thing :)

Indeed it is. People are free to choose all the bad computers they want but really shouldn't be surprised when games come into problems with them. While I am sure that Macs are good for somethings gaming just isn't one of them and it's a well known fact. I'm honestly not trying to be unsympathetic here. I would be upset too if I couldn't play the Sims 4. Hopefully the issues people are having will get fixed sometime soon.

The current issues have nothing to do with how good or bad Macs are for gaming. They're related to the above-mentioned security changes in the OS and the system update itself. Which, incidentally, has also messed with various other software on my Mac. I've had similar issues (and worse) with WIndows updates (including Origin and TS4 not starting as it should in WIn10). OS updates almost always come with hiccups and issues in the initial period, regardless of the system.

At the end of the day, not everyone can have a specific computer for gaming. My Mac does what I need it to, which includes running TS4. :D (most of the time. we'll see if there are any more hiccups tomorrow)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I know how you feel. I send you my condolences. I have sims I spent a few years with (literally) and I took so much time to perfect them I would be devastated if I lost them now. Not to mention all the builds and what not :s
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    On one hand, if the devs and/or publisher(s) commit to supporting a title on a given platform, they should make sure that they do so. On the other hand, this is also why friends don't let friends 'game' on a Mac.
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    On one hand, if the devs and/or publisher(s) commit to supporting a title on a given platform, they should make sure that they do so. On the other hand, this is also why friends don't let friends 'game' on a Mac.

And they are working on a fix for the public release of Catalina, which was different from any of the Beta versions (of which there are many, including a new one released along with the public release).
    This is not a case of "hey, we don't care and we've done nothing to make it work". There is a slew of apps that had issues since the OS release, this is not an EA only thing.

And well, my daughter's Origin and TS4 was wigging out after the latest Win10 update, it's not like that's any better. Some people's only option to game is on a Mac, some people choose to. No need for judgment.

Hope OP managed to find a solution by now & found a way to recover their saves.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

And they are working on a fix for the public release of Catalina, which was different from any of the Beta versions (of which there are many, including a new one released along with the public release).
    This is not a case of "hey, we don't care and we've done nothing to make it work". There is a slew of apps that had issues since the OS release, this is not an EA only thing.

And well, my daughter's Origin and TS4 was wigging out after the latest Win10 update, it's not like that's any better. Some people's only option to game is on a Mac, some people choose to. No need for judgment.

Hope OP managed to find a solution by now & found a way to recover their saves.

Yeah, it's not judgement. It's a fact -- Macs aren't for playing games. They're generally industry-standard for audio production and many graphic arts fields. However, if you're looking for a computer to play games on then you're going to want to go with a PC. Yes, it's a lot better.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    My game runs great on both of the Macs I have it installed on. Maybe it shouldn’t? 😱
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    KafeleKafele Posts: 17 Member
    > @OEII1001 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yeah, it's not judgement. It's a fact -- Macs aren't for playing games. They're generally industry-standard for audio production and many graphic arts fields. However, if you're looking for a computer to play games on then you're going to want to go with a PC. Yes, it's a lot better.

Unless you bootcamp the Mac then really it becomes a great machine with the best of both worlds. Especially if its one that has one of the more decent graphic cards. Only bad thing is in a few years the graphic card then becomes obsolete with how fast things move.

But on topic, Have you figured out the issue? Usually during updates it shouldn’t delete files. Did you have a backup by any chance?
  • Options
    LucyLockhartLucyLockhart Posts: 5 New Member
    When i had this issue i just went back down to Mojave. Luckily i had all my sim files saved on iCloud 😩
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »
    If you do not like the game, stop frothing at the mouth and uninstall it and move on.

its more like the person cant continue to play the game or at least get any updates for the game because they are on a mac. like for real i think that is a legit reason to be upset over the game.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Just don't play the game until it's fixed, which is probably like never. :D So good luck.

thats sort of how i feel. like right now the game feels like its in a very barely playable state and i am waiting to see how they handle universty to really decide if the sims 4 can be saved or fixed as its the last major ep i can think off that people want after that well idk.
  • Options
    Macs are terrible for games. I can't even understand why people even buy them. :D

I can't even understand why people buy Windows PCs. Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful thing :)

Indeed it is. People are free to choose all the bad computers they want but really shouldn't be surprised when games come into problems with them. While I am sure that Macs are good for somethings gaming just isn't one of them and it's a well known fact. I'm honestly not trying to be unsympathetic here. I would be upset too if I couldn't play the Sims 4. Hopefully the issues people are having will get fixed sometime soon.

The current issues have nothing to do with how good or bad Macs are for gaming. They're related to the above-mentioned security changes in the OS and the system update itself. Which, incidentally, has also messed with various other software on my Mac. I've had similar issues (and worse) with WIndows updates (including Origin and TS4 not starting as it should in WIn10). OS updates almost always come with hiccups and issues in the initial period, regardless of the system.

At the end of the day, not everyone can have a specific computer for gaming. My Mac does what I need it to, which includes running TS4. :D (most of the time. we'll see if there are any more hiccups tomorrow)

yeah it feels like a lot of people have the attiude of why are you playing games on the pc if you do not have a gaming pc.
  • Options
    honestly i am going to say its not like its an easy thing to upgrade to a gaming pc i can say this from experience. i used to have no choice but to use a 32 bit system of windows xp. that being said i got lucky in that i manged to get a decent pc. however i do believe it will start to show its age soon as my pc is about as decent as an ps4 or xbox one right now but i do not know if it will compare to the ps5 or the next xbox.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited October 2019
    Okay, just to clarify, I use a mac to play my game and have never had a crash before. Everyone seems to think that NO Mac can EVER be used for gaming. And some of them are a little rude, whether the poster intended that or not.

Back on topic, this is why you should ALWAYS take precautions. Even on the best of computers, even ones made especially for gaming, crash's happen. It usually isn't the game developers' fault either. It happens because something with a mod, or the computer, or the game just stops working. The developers don't control every copy of the game out there- so they can't fix every single issue. I understand that you're upset, but yelling and shouting and blaming the devs isn't a good way to go about it, or fix anything.

And from reading some of the above comments (I have yet to update my mac) it seems that it's not even just The Sims 4 that's having issues with the update. It's the software of the computer as a whole, not a single game having issues. I'm sure the Sims team is working hard to fix this, but it's not their fault.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    Agree with what @nerdfashion said about the issues. It's absolutely not on the Sims team - I have issues with various other software since Catalina, which I'm guessing is due to the strengthened security features that Apple brought in.

Those features are not a bad thing to do, per se, they're just not good for existing software that needs to be changed to comply with them. There's always a transitional period (and we're just over a week into the public version of the OS being out). A version that no one but Apple knew well - public Betas are different to public releases - so there was no preparing for it. And Apple isn't going to check with every single software dev to make sure the OS is compatible (they don't care, honestly, their priority is their native software. some of which ALSO has issues if it's older).

This blame game thing is pointless. It's not anyone's >fault< that the game has issues on Catalina. No one did anything deliberate to stop it working as intended. It's just a thing that happens that is particularly frustrating right now.
  • Options
    Crossing all fingers and toes that this fixes my repeated issues.