Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RoM: No magic on children ?

I finally settled to play Realm of Magic, and while I knew children can't really *be* magic, I was very surprised to see they are completely removed from any and all magic gameplay.
They can't drink potions, can't have spells cast on them. What, pray tell, is the point of having a magical family like the (bugged) bloodline trait supposedly encourages us to.

I can cast Scruberoo and clean random strangers in the street, but my own children whom I'm raising, not ?
And this batch of Potions of Plentiful Needs I made specifically for them, I guess I will have to throw it away.

I know they didn't want to have distinctions malevolent and benevolent magic, but there is one (1) practical spell you can cast on other sims, so why not allow practical magic on children (and toddlers), and let the zapping and other less than commendable stuff disabled.

What's the fun in being a witch spellcaster if you can't magically clean dirty diapers and kids playing in mud ?

One more disappointing thing to add to the pile
JaPK2qJ.gif

Comments

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2019
    It would be sooo useful to be able to cast Scruberoo on toddlers. Really sad they didn't include it. :'(
    I mean, it wouldn't even need more animations than we actually have right now, does it?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    MaddieplaysgamesMaddieplaysgames Posts: 125 Member
    not even potions?? Ripp
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah they said it was “crossing the line” or “going too far” if they allowed to use magic on children. In the live stream.

And I remember responding “you could afford to cross that line.” Honestly wouldn’t be crossing any line at all.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,446 Member
    I disappointed about that as well. I understand why using mean spells on children is crossing the line. But practical spells, scruberoo, or things to help them like the potion that refills their needs should work. Is it so hard for the developers to imagine a spellcaster who actually cares for their children and wants to help them?
    I hope someone makes a mod to allow the positive spells on children and toddlers.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Yeah they said it was “crossing the line” or “going too far” if they allowed to use magic on children. In the live stream.

And I remember responding “you could afford to cross that line.” Honestly wouldn’t be crossing any line at all.

If they had said something along the lines of "We didn't have the time / the resources to make magic properly work for/on children", I would have at least appreciated the honesty while still waiting for a mod to fix that. But instead they keep giving us the same old excuse that no one even believes, because you can't make a game with a cow plant that eats people alive and then claim that magically washing a child goes too far.

Atreya33 wrote: »
    I disappointed about that as well. I understand why using mean spells on children is crossing the line. But practical spells, scruberoo, or things to help them like the potion that refills their needs should work. Is it so hard for the developers to imagine a spellcaster who actually cares for their children and wants to help them?
    I hope someone makes a mod to allow the positive spells on children and toddlers.

And the not so positive ones too while we're at it. It's not like the magic fire actually kills, unlike the fire that they can catch if they turn on a dryer without cleaning the lint filter first.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Little Miss Sam has a mod that allows you to cast scruberoo on toddlers.

I know we shouldn't have to rely on mods, but if you're not averse to using it I would recommend it.

Also I can't believe there's nothing magical about children. They have the animation for it in cas, why couldn't they just make a couple spells for children like cloning toys completing homework Etc.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

Little Miss Sam has a mod that allows you to cast scruberoo on toddlers.

I know we shouldn't have to rely on mods, but if you're not averse to using it I would recommend it.

Also I can't believe there's nothing magical about children. They have the animation for it in cas, why couldn't they just make a couple spells for children like cloning toys completing homework Etc.

I would like to turn my kids and toddlers into gnomes and other objects to put them on time out.
    Toddler or child not obeying? Cast the Minion spell on them.

I don’t think those spells are going to far.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,349 Member
    When toddlers were still new, I had one that didn't want to let herself get consoled by the parents after a nightmare in the middle of the night. I made them grab the toddler, place her in the garden in leave her there until morning.

Throwing out a wild guess that an emotion calming spell would have been kinder for the little one...
  • Options
    Zulf_12Zulf_12 Posts: 109 Member
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    Active magic operates through the manipulation of ill-understood dynamic fields underlying reality, including morphogenetic fields that govern how cells know where to propagate as what in a growing body. While this process is understood well enough to assist growing plants, or selectively affect post-pubescent adolescents, children are in an accelerated stage of physical and mental metamorphosis already, and enchantment cannot be undertaken safely or to predictable results. Since the failure of magic is inherently dangerous, trained sorcerers are universally cautioned not to attempt it. Untrained sorcerers are incapable of effectively targeting children at all.

That is my head-canon, and I am sticking to it. Just give the kid a bath, okay?
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Active magic operates through the manipulation of ill-understood dynamic fields underlying reality, including morphogenetic fields that govern how cells know where to propagate as what in a growing body. While this process is understood well enough to assist growing plants, or selectively affect post-pubescent adolescents, children are in an accelerated stage of physical and mental metamorphosis already, and enchantment cannot be undertaken safely or to predictable results. Since the failure of magic is inherently dangerous, trained sorcerers are universally cautioned not to attempt it. Untrained sorcerers are incapable of effectively targeting children at all.

If this is your head-canon that is perfectly fine . What I don't like is this head-canon being forced on people who would prefer to tell a different story.

I would like my spellcaster to care for their child to their best ability, which for a spellcaster should be by using magic. Now they are incredibly selfish, using the need filling potion on themselves but denying it to their children. I would like to have the possibility to decide myself if my sims use magic to raise their kids or not instead of the decision being made for me.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes.

I would really like to be able to use a spell to clean kids and toddlers. Just feels odd that you can’t do it.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Not completely cut off... they can have familiars...

Just looking on the bright side.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    davidsaradavidsara Posts: 117 Member
    im surprised you cannot use scrub on pets, kids and toddlers, i mean if i could magically make them stop stinking i would and im sure they wouldn't complain about skipping bathtime...
    also why was there no spell to enchant items (maybe limit it to computers, TV's, cookers) so that whatever the item is gives them a positive moodlet when they use it so for example enchant a kitchen stove to give an inspired moodlet of 1 or a weight lift a 1 to energized
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If this is your head-canon that is perfectly fine . What I don't like is this head-canon being forced on people who would prefer to tell a different story.

I would like my spellcaster to care for their child to their best ability, which for a spellcaster should be by using magic. Now they are incredibly selfish, using the need filling potion on themselves but denying it to their children. I would like to have the possibility to decide myself if my sims use magic to raise their kids or not instead of the decision being made for me.

And babies can't die in a fire. Regardless of what stories you want to tell. Magic is unavailable to children. That's the game. Accept it, move on, or play something else. Moaning about what isn't is not going to add to anyone's enjoyment of the game.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    And babies can't die in a fire. Regardless of what stories you want to tell. Magic is unavailable to children. That's the game. Accept it, move on, or play something else. Moaning about what isn't is not going to add to anyone's enjoyment of the game.
    "There is no move objects cheat" "That's the game, accept it, move on"
    "There is no size down key" "That's the game, accept it, move on"

Wonder where we would be if everyone thought like you did.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Yes. Could we at least be able to use the beneficial spells and potions on the entire family. At least they would feel more included into the occult experience that way.

I gave this as feedback in the survey as well.
  • Options

I am not moaning to ruin someone's enjoyment of the game. I actually have a lot of fun with RoM. I just want to point out what would have made it even better in the hope that gurus might eventually notice this topic and take it into consideration for future content.

Is there a chance this thread doesn't change anything, sure. It is the most likely outcome. But we can always try. :)
  • Options
    Not completely cut off... they can have familiars...

Just looking on the bright side.

Yes, a small comfort. Unfortunately the least interesting part of the pack as they just float in the air and can't be interacted with (pet them, feed them,...) probably this is the reason why kids can have them, no extra animations needed.

but you are right by looking at the bright side, it is better than nothing. :)
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    As far as I recally nothing works on children or toddlers. No blood drinking (or drinking by vampire children), no alien powers, no... So why should magic?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    I have no clue why they always exclude children from having occult properties or being affected by them, I feel like puberty doesn't make you suddenly want to drink blood or let you cast/be affected by magic. Guess the sims team took "Puberty is a magical time" too seriously
    As far as I recally nothing works on children or toddlers. No blood drinking (or drinking by vampire children), no alien powers, no... So why should magic?
    For a second I thought you meant grown vampires drinking from children cause that is like the equivalent of drinking from a tiny juice box.
    Though I can see why they didn't include children vampires biting other children due to it seeming abit cruel, but they could've added children drinking from adults. Cause that would've been funny.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Unfortunately, I had to mod RoM in order to get more enjoyment out of it and I’m not much of a mod person.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options

Children don't have alien powers but they do have an alien form and a disguise so they are really aliens and not just regular children with an extra but inactive icon above their traits. So there are child occults, even if they are very limited.

I don't need children to have the same occult options as adults. To be honest I can see why vampires drinking from kids would be problematic. But a few options, appropriate for their age would be nice. In case of scruberoo it basically mean just flag children as a target for a spell, no additional animation or coding needed. .
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member

I think just because something bad has been going on for a long time (like sims younger than teen being neglected when it comes to basically everything), doesn't mean it has to keep going on. TS4 has improved in many ways over the years (even though some of those improvements were long overdue), so there's still reason to hope that maybe one day we'll get more content for children as well.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    "There is no move objects cheat" "That's the game, accept it, move on"
    "There is no size down key" "That's the game, accept it, move on"

Wonder where we would be if everyone thought like you did.

It's known as a totolerian state, of which this planet unfortunately has way too many of, and others that are not are moving in that direction.

By voicing dissenting opinions to the status quo there is a chance, however slight, that a change may be made. To keep quiet stifles reasoned discourse, sharing of ideas, and precludes any hope of improvement. To the point of the thread, having a plant that eats sims alive eliminates any self-proclaimed 'moral high ground' on forbidding magical parents from using magic to help care for their kids by claiming it 'crosses the line'. EA itself 'crossed the line' as soon as that plant was made part of the game.