Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living; is it lacking?

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Yes, Island Living is Lacking
    yes it lacks

you can't really dive :#
    lifeguard and diving careers are rabbit holes :*
    mermaids lack lack lack :o

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    No, Island Living is Fine
    Hmm, thought I already answered this. Multiple polls, maybe?

Anyway, finally got to play Sulani (last weekend, I was working on getting my kid-teen to age up so that she could go without missing school). Personally, I don't care about mermaids (I'm glad they added them, for those who want them) and I never saw much point to hotels. I don't care about rabbit holes, either, partly because I don't want to leave the rest of my family on self-care while I control one Sim.

Anyway, the thing that I'm pretty psyched about is cleaning up the island. The more time I spend on the volcanic island, the more I'm itching to make it beautiful.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Hmm, thought I already answered this. Multiple polls, maybe?

Anyway, finally got to play Sulani (last weekend, I was working on getting my kid-teen to age up so that she could go without missing school). Personally, I don't care about mermaids (I'm glad they added them, for those who want them) and I never saw much point to hotels. I don't care about rabbit holes, either, partly because I don't want to leave the rest of my family on self-care while I control one Sim.

Anyway, the thing that I'm pretty psyched about is cleaning up the island. The more time I spend on the volcanic island, the more I'm itching to make it beautiful.

I have yet see anything to clean up :'(

not seeing any sharks/dolphins
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Honestly, if they had just put whims, I wouldn't have been bored after an hour.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly, if they had just put whims, I wouldn't have been bored after an hour.

I really wanted whims to @Francl27
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'm okay with the choices made of what to have and not have - it suits my personal playstyle and priorities. I can see where for some other players who have different priorities or playstyles it would feel lacking. I'd feel the same if it all the gameplay were ocean-based (vs. island-based) or if it were a vacation destination.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ScaryPoptartScaryPoptart Posts: 1 New Member
    Eh, Island Living is tolerable
    I think it is alright. Overall I love the expansion but I believe there should have been more work put into it
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Like why this island living didint include pool bars? Would be so fitting whit theme imo.
    Some features has better details in sims 4 than older versions but are they worth triple price tag?
    Hmm
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2019
    I haven’t found the experience of playing the pack to be lacking so far, but I think it depends on your play style. For the first few days I played a homeless castaway family on that empty island lot and just had a blast playing off the grid. Compared to when I played another couple of sims off the grid in Windenburg, it was even more fun. It was much easier to keep the sims’ fun levels high in Sulani because they would constantly just go and play in the sand or make sand castles when they got bored. It also improves family gameplay since kids and toddlers seem to like to play together on the beach and do so autonomously.

The parents have fished, foraged for food, grown plants and crafted wood objects to use and to sell. They also sold sea shells and buried treasure when they had multiples. It was completely possible to support these sims and even develop their skills, socializations and relationships while playing this way— it was even absorbing. What a new and fun style of gameplay! And I hope they build on it in future with more objects and options (and they totally could since they added the trait and associated gameplay in a free patch).

Recently, I have been playing the Conservationist career for the first time and also really enjoying it. I enjoy travelling to beautiful Mua Pelam, cleaning and exploring it. Activities like surveying the island, confronting poachers, spraying invasive species, taking samples and cleaning up the beaches are fun and I have not found any of it repetitive yet because you can choose to do different things once the daily tasks are complete.

Snorkeling using the 1st person camera is amazing especially if there are dolphins or sea turtles around. I appreciate the way that sims can randomly encounter some of the new fish varieties just swimming about the reefs. They look so good both from above and under the water. For me the beauty of the ocean is a constant delight and adds to the pack’s appeal.

As well, I absolutely love how the developers have revamped the swimming and fishing animations and renewed these skills as well. Swimming used to be so boring and silly to watch and now it actually looks very good and realistic. My sims also seem to have more fun doing it and to choose to do it a lot more on their own. Fishing is much better too, and the new fish are great. For a player who likes to complete collections it is wonderful to have so many new varieties. It is particularly nice to be able to catch invasive species and to have the option of throwing back endangered ones, since this ties in with the Conservationist gameplay.

Overall I have been having a ball playing in Sulani and haven’t even wanted to go to another neighbourhood or to play with my regular sims. I expect this will continue for some time yet because I certainly don’t feel bored now.
  • Options
    AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    so... how do you use the1st person camera??? I'd love to try that :)
  • Options
    AjaGio wrote: »
    so... how do you use the1st person camera??? I'd love to try that :)

Shift-tab I think. It looks amazing near fish and swimming dolphins or swimming over a coral reef; they all look 3D.

• Options
    JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2019
    If you have ever played sims3 Island Paradise before, Island Living cannot call it as expansion pack!
    4kTG3iX.png
  • Options
    Princess_07xPrincess_07x Posts: 926 Member
    edited July 2019
    Island Living looks beautiful, the game play is OK not that much to do and I really wanted to go underwater as it shows in the trailer! for me it just reminds me of a giant swimming pool with a few added features :(
    Post edited by Princess_07x on
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    The pack was meant to be a vacation GP.

The beach supplies machine, which mimics the Outdoor Retreat forest ranger supply cabin, the fact that you can place the rental lots on Sulani, the cover art, the amount of detail and gameplay....it was a gamepack. It's clear as water.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Jadesimmer wrote: »
    If you have ever played sims3 Island Paradise before, Island Living cannot call it as expansion pack!

Island Paradise for many (including me) was a buggy, laggy, almost unplayable pack, even with mods. The world was not even as nice as Sunlit Tides. Sulani, in contrast, is gorgeous, immersive and fun to explore, with an ocean that sims can actually interact with, changing sea life, a new culture with related traits and an aspiration, a place where Sims can live a very different lifestyle than they can anywhere else.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

Island Paradise for many (including me) was a buggy, laggy, almost unplayable pack, even with mods. The world was not even as nice as Sunlit Tides. Sulani, in contrast, is gorgeous, immersive and fun to explore, with an ocean that sims can actually interact with, changing sea life, a new culture with related traits and an aspiration, a place where Sims can live a very different lifestyle than they can anywhere else.

It's funny that you say "new culture". Because more than a half of that "new culture" is recycled from Get Together. :p
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Unless I’m mistaken sims can basically do the same things with the ocean in this Ex Pack that they could in Sims 3, unless there’s something I’m missing? They can swim, snorkel, use watercraft, float, .... am I missing something? You could do these things in any Sims 3 world though, not just the EP world.

I didn’t think this EP changed the game very much at all, but that’s just my experience with it. I found my Sims living the same life here that they would in any other world, it’s not that different you can swim in the ocean and that’s about it.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    It runs very smoothly on my computer. But I hope for a fix to the problem with sims stealing food in restaurants and the toddlers having stuff sticking to their hands.
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other, ...
    I'm here for the build/buy. For the most part I'm in love with that part of the pack (can't believe they forgot the bar counters/cabinets again, and for once here was a pack where a new toilet would have made sense). The world is beautiful too.

Gameplay admittedly seems thin, but at least it doesn't squick me out the way Strangerville did. And it's not why I bought Island Living. Maybe it would have made more sense to release this as a game pack?
    Post edited by CommaSplice on
  • Options
    Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    I'm here for the build/buy. For the most part I'm in love with that part of the pack (can't believe they forgot the bar counters/cabinets again, and for once here was a pack where a new toilet would have made sense). The world is beautiful too.

Game play admittedly seems thin, but at least it doesn't squick me out the way Strangerville did. And it's not why I bought Island Living. Maybe it would have made more sense to release this as a game pack?

I agree. I think it was originally intended to be, but oh well!

• Options

Unless I’m mistaken sims can basically do the same things with the ocean in this Ex Pack that they could in Sims 3, unless there’s something I’m missing? They can swim, snorkel, use watercraft, float, .... am I missing something? You could do these things in any Sims 3 world though, not just the EP world.

I didn’t think this EP changed the game very much at all, but that’s just my experience with it. I found my Sims living the same life here that they would in any other world, it’s not that different you can swim in the ocean and that’s about it.

I think Ocean swimming has been improved in several ways over what it was in Sims 3. I was just playing Island Paradise the weekend before the latest pack came out so it is fresh in my mind. In TS3, the ocean was an empty blue swath of sameness as far as the eye could see, while in TS4, the water is clear and you can actually see well some animated fish of different varieties from the pack swimming around at random, as well as seeing dolphins, sea turtles, jellyfish, the occasional shark, water birds and sea gulls etc. These all look very nice, 3D and proportionate, through the first person camera, too. You can also interact with dolphins, whose animations are lovely -- so apart from the absence of the dive lot (which for me is not a big deal), it feels like a much more dynamic experience to swim in the ocean than it was in TS3.

TS3 sims could actually do very little in the ocean, too; they took ages to wade out, they could swim (very slowly using that weird breast stroke) and snorkel (with gear); that was about it. Unlike in TS4, they could not swim around, only swim here, they could not drown (at least I never had a sim drown in the ocean no matter how low their energy dropped), or pee in the ocean. All they could do with other sims in the water was to splash them; they couldn't really talk to each other or do anything else while actually immersed.

Now in TS4, with other sims, they can talk, kiss, splash, skinny dip alone or together, swim here, swim around alone, or swim around together, or back float. As their fitness improves, their swimming speed increases and they use different strokes (really nice animations there). Parents with high fitness can coach their kids at swimming (I love that: it is one of my favourite new things to do in water). They also get a few different new moodlets from swimming -- sims can get a cramp, a sudden chill, swim through something yucky, or feel at peace in the sea.

Since this pack was released, I now prefer swimming in TS4 to TS3; I think they have developed and improved the ability in some fun and realistic ways. (I just hope they eventually add it to a few of the other worlds -- that would icing on the cake).
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2019

It’s a £34 to enable ocean swimming and tanning. That’s about it for me.

I’m terms of game play Island Paradise wipes the floor with Island living. Performance can be argued. Although I’m lucky my island paradise runs fine. Ironically better than Island living at the minute!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This video resumes exactly why is it lacking...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDCU82W7U0
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other, ...
    I don't find it lacking as I enjoy it as a village of ancient people kind of living - BUT I can see how it may be lacking for players looking for a Vacation EP. So while i may love it just as it is - it is definitely lacking for those other players who can't have proper rentals or resorts like they were hoping to have.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    I don't know who made that review that was posted a few posts earlier in the thread, but to call that a review was a misnomer: to my ears, it just contained a lot of negativity about the pack and the game in general. I was left wondering why that simmer bothers to play the game or to make videos about it since it annoys him so much and he sees so much wrong with its basic mechanics, trait system and nearly everything else. Lgr's review was so much better: more informative, intelligent and balanced. There were things he didn't like, which he was honest about, and things he appreciated, and on top of that it was witty and interesting to watch. I mostly agreed with him about the pros and cons of the pack. All this particular review convinced me of was that how that simmer likes to play has nothing in common with how I do, which means he said a lot which just isn't applicable to me, and which kinda left me feeling sorry for him by the end.