Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a good “Expansion Pack”

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Personally I like what the pack offers. But the problem is that for an EP it doesn't offer enough variety in content, and it doesn't have as much depth as it should.

I have to agree because at face value it looks great but for me when it come to playing it it appears to be half baked. I love the neighborhood but the value of the pack is left to be determined by the buyer. Some are willing to pay full price and some greatly reduced which I fall in that catergory. Another thing most of the stuff is exclusive to just that neighborhood just like CL. However, if I had an choice between CL and IL I would go for IL because the greatest disappointment for me was CL and I do not play with it to this day.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It was not designed to change your sims world it was designed to show a different way of living and new sims and their culture. That is the problem is too many expected it to change their present sims world like IP did. That is not at all what this ep is about.

And I still believe Jungle Adventure had more culture than this.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It was not designed to change your sims world it was designed to show a different way of living and new sims and their culture. That is the problem is too many expected it to change their present sims world like IP did. That is not at all what this ep is about.

Yes, but as stated by the OP, expansion packs are meant to expand the base game. This one actually doesn't.

As I said it did for me because I finally got the kind of play I was looking for. Exactly. It is not a copy cat of past worlds and I love that. I did not want another IP. If I wanted IP I would go play Sims 3. I did not want another vacation. I wanted exactly what it is. Not a place for my other sims but a native place for these Island Sims. For me it delivers what I wanted and pretty much what the devs said it was. I did not misunderstand them.

I hope you aren’t suggesting those that are unhappy simply “misunderstood” the devs. This is not a case of mis communication in the sense people are failing to understand what this pack was about. People understand it fine - many just don’t feel it has enough game play. Period.

• Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I think its a lovely xp. I see no problem with it.
    I would have bought this pack just for the stuff and the world. :D
    With seasons sims 4 stole the first spot for me in sims series.
    The only thing I miss from sims 3 is the ability to use move objects on sims.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Sulani being a livable world is fine. It has beautiful scenery, and the water is gorgeous. The Islanders are friendly to the point of being a bit rude when they bring over plates of food whenever a Sim's hunger dips too low, then proceed to clean out my fridges. They also raided the fridge after bringing over a bowl of kava, while my Sim was sleeping it off in a lounge chair. Then one member of the party decided it was okay to sleep in her bed and spend the night, but he did make another go at raiding the fridge before he left. This odd behavior has impacted my entire game. All of my restaurants are havens for food thieves now. So I guess if an expansion is meant to have an impact on the base game, then Island Living succeeded in impacting much more than just the base game in this instance.

We have been complaining about the lack of gameplay in packs for a couple of years, and nothing has changed. Personally, I feel Parenthood, even as a game pack, added a lot more to the game than Island Living has. But that is my opinion among many different opinions I have seen expressed. I dislike seeing the community split like this again. Some love Island Living, some don't. I am in the middle somewhere, a bit lost because my initial plans for Sulani will have to be changed in order to accommodate for what isn't in Island Living. Like a lot trait that doesn't make any sense. The teams obviously forgot what it means to live off-the-grid. A functioning dishwasher on a lot without running water and electricity? Yet we can't use a washtub and clothesline? But...but....weren't those two items requested as part of a pack based on off-the-grid gameplay? This little snafu has altered my plans to have a conservationist Sim living in the backcountry while saving the island from ecological disaster. What good is an off-the-grid lot trait if it doesn't play like an off-the-grid lot? Or have its own assets that work only on that lot? Well, that's because that lot trait came in the pre-ep update, and was never intended to be part of Island Living. It was an upgrade to the base game. I guess we'll have to wait for off-the-grid items and hope those are included in a patch that will be released someday. Soon. Can't forget about the 'soon' part. Every question we ask is met with the same reply: Soon.

There are bits and pieces of Island Living I do enjoy. But there is much more that just wasn't implemented very well. I guess that is the main reason why I regret paying full price for it. The canoes....why can't our Sims travel together in one boat? Where are the matching island counters for the new counters? I have a lot of questions about why certain things were overlooked or handed to us half finished. It's as if the teams stopped just a yard short of reaching the goal line. I can't call Island Living an expansion because it feels as if two unfinished game packs were hurriedly thrown together so they could call it an expansion. If Island Living were an expansion, and expansions are supposed to expand on the base game, why were all the assets that actually expand the base game handed out in a free update for everyone? That pre-ep update was huge, and contained fifteen changes made to everything from foundations and door swatches to new swimming actions, part time jobs, two new lot traits, a fishing upgrade with new fish,and the lounge chair was finally added. But there is more about the changes in the update notes. It's an interesting read. I recommend reading it to everyone I know that plays the Sims4.

So, since everyone still playing on 32-bit systems has had their game updated with all these new features, does this mean we can finally move ahead to seeing what the teams can do with 64-bit? Now before someone takes that the wrong way, I am not begrudging the fact those players were able to take advantage of the new update. They deserve something before EA drops support for 32-bit. But we were told many moons ago better things would be coming our way once the conversion is made. And since there are only two days left in June, I suppose this means we might see it happen in July. Or has that plan been scrapped? I hope not. After playing Island Living and seeing so many missed opportunities to create new gameplay, even I can see the teams are struggling to add the features we have been asking for. Complex gameplay, new animations, new interactions, better socials. All of those require more RAM usage. So we won't see any of those new features in future packs until the teams are able to create content that takes advantage of having more RAM. Until that day happens, we are stuck with what we have. Or at best, we will see a few new, relatively simple, animations, and less complex gameplay. Given the fact that Sulani is more complicated than any of the other worlds, maybe this is why we find Island Living lacking as far as new gameplay and group activities. Perhaps this is the best they are able to accomplish while trying to remain compatible with 32-bit systems. Have we been asking the wrong questions and being upset over the wrong things, and Island Living is not at fault here? Maybe this is the best the devs could do with the tools they have. If all that is true, I wish they had waited to make this pack. It could have been a really great expansion.

• Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member
    The teams obviously forgot what it means to live off-the-grid. A functioning dishwasher on a lot without running water and electricity? Yet we can't use a washtub and clothesline?

Yeah, this oversight is definitely bizarre and frustrating, and hopefully it will be fixed *soon*™, but in the meantime, if you don't mind a small tuning mod, there's this one that allows you to refill the washtub on an 'off-the-grid' lot:

https://nieswillsneeze.tumblr.com/post/185725408829/sims-4-replace-water-off-grid-mod-nies
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    The teams obviously forgot what it means to live off-the-grid. A functioning dishwasher on a lot without running water and electricity? Yet we can't use a washtub and clothesline?

Yeah, this oversight is definitely bizarre and frustrating, and hopefully it will be fixed *soon*™, but in the meantime, if you don't mind a small tuning mod, there's this one that allows you to refill the washtub on an 'off-the-grid' lot:

https://nieswillsneeze.tumblr.com/post/185725408829/sims-4-replace-water-off-grid-mod-nies

Thanks for the link. I am happy to know the modding community is still hard at work making these kinds of mods for us. I don't know what I'd do without them. :)
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... this is a Location-EP, like City Living. Apartments are only found in San Myshuno and so forth. Makes sense since both of them came with a Location-aspiration.

For my part I feel so at peace when playing in Sulani. I am even contemplating having a 3:rd generation in this save and that doesn’t happen too often let me tell you.

A new occult, I never knew I would live having mermaids this much. Hope they will keep adding occult sims in EPs. In ways that keep them available for people like me and hidden for those who would rather do without.

For my part this was great. I just feel so at home in this world. Really like having the sims I place here being the ones that show up. Working on adding a few extra occult sims to the households.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    Hmm... this is a Location-EP, like City Living. Apartments are only found in San Myshuno and so forth. Makes sense since both of them came with a Location-aspiration.

For my part I feel so at peace when playing in Sulani. I am even contemplating having a 3:rd generation in this save and that doesn’t happen too often let me tell you.

A new occult, I never knew I would live having mermaids this much. Hope they will keep adding occult sims in EPs. In ways that keep them available for people like me and hidden for those who would rather do without.

For my part this was great. I just feel so at home in this world. Really like having the sims I place here being the ones that show up. Working on adding a few extra occult sims to the households.

That is one thing I really like about this expansion world. I have seen only locals, either families I put in world or unplayed locals, but no Sims from other worlds, not unless I invite them over.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I just hope pcean swimming will be patched in to pther worlds, unlile Apartments. That will make other features feel in place to other worlds, such as mermaids.