Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You a Control Freak?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    50-50. It depends. Sometimes I like to take charge and tell my sims what to do. Other times, I guide them along gently.
    Boring answer, but it’s 50/50 for me. There are times when I sit back and watch my sims interact autonomously and then there are other times I when like to take control.

I find it especially interesting to let my sims do their own thing in large groups, to get an organic feel for who gets along and/or who has chemistry.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Absolutely! What's the point of playing if I can't be in control of everything my pixelated people do?
    I usually control my sims pretty intensely, though sometimes I let them do their own thing and then regret it when they stop bathing regularly enough or something.
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Absolutely! What's the point of playing if I can't be in control of everything my pixelated people do?
    Glad to know I'm not the only one😅
  • Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    Sometimes. I want to make major decisions for my sims, like who they marry, what careers they choose, and when they have children. I do let them have some autonomy.
    For the most part, probably a good 75-80%
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I usually have one sim (in a given lot) who I control absolutely, a few others who I just police a bit here and there, and others I ignore. T
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Sometimes. I want to make major decisions for my sims, like who they marry, what careers they choose, and when they have children. I do let them have some autonomy.
    Mine is between sometimes and absolutely.
    I play with autonomy off for the played sim and otherwise on for household members I'm not controlling at that moment. I would have a fit though if they married or made big decisions on their own.. an absolute fit. I like them to be be busy and do things. I don't mind if they skill on their own... I don't mind if they make friends or even fight with others. I like them going to work/school without direction ect..
    I don't even mind and even enjoy some chaos because if I have to reload a save I will for those things I absolutely did not want to happen.
    They really have hit my sweet spot with this game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Of course! It's a dollhouse and I'm the one telling my dolls what to do. Autonomy is off most of the times.
  • Options
    trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    I am so bad about this and I know I need to let go just a little bit but I don't trust them. After seeing one sim cook a full dinner on the stove and the other go outside in the freezing cold to make burgers on the grill, I decided I'd never put on autonomy again.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    LumikkaLumikka Posts: 25 Member
    I need to control everything. Can't let my sims dance and drink water all day :D Even if they didn't do weird random things on their own, it's just more fun to me to have complete control.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    50-50. It depends. Sometimes I like to take charge and tell my sims what to do. Other times, I guide them along gently.
    I'm 50/50. But sometimes assuming direct control is the only way to get the whole household ready in the morning. :smile:
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I rather miss the semi-autonomy we had in S3, in which they'd do something if you didn't tell them what to do after about five seconds. Every once in a while, I'll turn autonomy on to see what they'll do (there are some interactions they won't do with autonomy off, like 'thinking about a family member'). Also, it can be fun (and sometimes maddening) to see what a toddler or kid might get up to. With adults, it's always the computer or cooking food.

One thing I don't like about having autonomy on, even if I'm pausing constantly to direct my Sims, is that they'll quit activities when their need bars are full or, just because. It's impossible to get them to read a skill book because they constantly quit once their fun is maxed. So, autonomy is almost always off in my game.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    The second option perfectly sums up my play style: I make all the major decisions, and I tell my sims what to do most of the time, but their whims and wants do influence what I tell them, sometimes I even leave them to their own devices, and I change my plans when I realise that something isn't working out as intended. For example, I had this household of two friends that I wanted to become a couple, but they just wouldn't get romantically involved with each other no matter what I tried, and I didn't want to force it, so they ended up with other partners. They do have some freedom, but on the other hand, I also punish sims for disobedience.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am a control freak more or less like aging - dying kind of thing - but I do not generally pick who my sims love though. I control their jobs - skills - trying to not let bad things happen to the Sims - or if they do try and find ways within the game to fix it - I don't care for mean sims so if a sim seems bad to others well they sort of get punished - lol. I don't like hatefulness - in any form - or torture at all - I just try and lead my sims to being the best Sims they can be. I like them to be polite - friendly - play well with each other most of the time. If there is a mean sim in the neighborhood - my sims are usually not associated with them.

I do make my sims volunteer a lot - help others when they can and just get along with everyone.

The new pack is really my kind of place. Love the cleaning up and friendliness of everyone on the island.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    A8abA8ab Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm much more interested in controlling my sims actions in the Sims 4 than I was in the Sims 3 but even so, sometimes it's just easier to let them figure themselves out.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited June 2019
    No way! It's much more fun to sit back and watch my sims. They get themselves into plenty of trouble and cause enough drama on their own.
    When my sim first starts I make decisions for them but as soon as their preferences and personality shines through I let them guide my play. I always let my sims choose their romantic partners- they make their preferences quite obvious. I also let them change careers and aspirations if my iinitial choices dont seem to fit who they are. I love the random, hilarious and unexpected things that happen when Sims have a lot of free will. Except for when my simself decided Don lothario was the only sim for her. I was tempted to force her to pick someone else.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I do like to let my sims make their own choices at times, but I still chose first option as I always enjoy having the power to change any and everything that I want on a whim. Sometimes I need to exercise control and make changes in order to let my sims go through with their choices, as sometimes there's a conflict or something. And then of course I love creating and populating my saves with my own townies instead of the randomly generated ones who all start to look alike after you see so many of them. I just like having the freedom to do whatever.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    If their actions were more logical or interesting, I'd let them have more autonomy, but they're just so stupid.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    Free Will is off in my game. I control every moment of their existence.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I am a control freak in real life, so why not in The Sims :p
    But I did not find the correct explanation to what I do in these options. I do not use autonomy, but I also let the sims universe guide me in my decisions. I create a sim or have children from my previous household and then I sometimes decide the main points in the story line of the kids already and other times I do not know yet what my plans re for them and I let the game lead me to ideas.

My first household was much more planned, cause I recreated a story I already played in TS3, but I still let faith take it's right. The second generation was a boy and I had no idea what to make of him. Nothing suited him! No hobbies, no job, no specific personality. There wasn't also much in the base game that could offer that freedom. Eventually he met one of my created sims i placed in town and that I totally forgot about and i said: Yes! They match! They married, got 4 kids and divorced, cause I did intended him to be gay but also unsure, so he ran away with his old love in the end. Being gay was the only thing I decided for him.
    The next generation has a wider variety of options and personalities to play with. I also often let new packs give me new ideas that suit them.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    No way! It's much more fun to sit back and watch my sims. They get themselves into plenty of trouble and cause enough drama on their own.
    Becka28 wrote: »
    When my sim first starts I make decisions for them but as soon as their preferences and personality shines through I let them guide my play. I always let my sims choose their romantic partners- they make their preferences quite obvious. I also let them change careers and aspirations if my iinitial choices dont seem to fit who they are. I love the random, hilarious and unexpected things that happen when Sims have a lot of free will. Except for when my simself decided Don lothario was the only sim for her. I was tempted to force her to pick someone else.

Nice to find someone who has a similar play style. I refer to my game as a "gigantic soap opera" that I follow. I find that if I do step in and try to match them up or choose a career, it backfires as often as not.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I have specific storylines most of the time, but as long as I hit key points I’m good. In smaller households I control more, but once I have a few kids it becomes a free for all :smiley: