Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,260 Member
    If you haven't Polar Plunged before, I suggest giving it a try. Not only would you raise money for a great cause, but you can enjoy the chthrill of it!

@CathyTea I had a blast! After me and some colleagues plunged, we went out for dinner. Traffic was the real pits, but we enjoyed our time together away from the busy day we call work with each other.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,787 Member
    edited March 2019
    I finally find a way to get the "accessories" for a pose pack.. took me forever..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited March 2019
    i had cookie crisp cereal for dinner. i didn't know they still make it. i got my stich out yesterday.
  • Options
    supernatural103supernatural103 Posts: 433 Member
    I've been so inspired to write lately... I was going to work on Nightshade today but ended up doing other things. Maybe tomorrow. I can afford to slow down a little bit. :D How's everyone today?

I've been super inspired to write, but when I actually go to do it, I just can't figure out what I want to write! Been stuck on one chapter for a week now, and have only added a paragraph. :bawling:

Oh I feel you there!! I do that all the time. I can picture the chapter and scenes in my head, sit down, type two words and then... blank! I think we all have those moments. I'm sure you'll pull your chapter together soon!

I'm just glad I got a couple chapters done ahead of time so I've been able to keep up my posting schedule. I actually have a free weekend, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the chapter done!

That's great! On a very rare occasion I manage to write ahead... but usually I never end up sticking to any kind of schedule. I'm constantly back and forth between one or two updates a month and one or two updates a week, for a few weeks, then... back to every few weeks or so... *Sigh*

I've always struggled sticking to a schedule, but I'm doing my best for this story! It helps that I'm totally in love with it, and constantly want to write.
    yaHATa3.png
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Hi. Can I join in? I'm a long-time hobby writing "dabbler" who started playing with sims a few years ago (first sims 3 and now sims 4). Took me a while, but it finally occurred to me I could combine my love of writing with my constant sims screenshot taking obsession to create an illustrated story. Thought I was being pretty clever... and then I discovered a whole bunch of other people already had this idea. :smile:

So I've started reading some of this great sim-lit, and I have to say there are some really talented storytellers in this crowd! I'd like to sit at your feet like an eager disciple and learn.

I am currently in the process of planning out an actual sim-lit story (multi-point-of-view teen angst and drama at a vampire high school) that I hope will end up good enough to actually share with people. Right now, I'm still in set-up mode, creating characters, building lots, and figuring out what I want to do with the plot.

The "guide to sim-lit FAQ" has been very helpful in thinking about my options. I already know mine will have to be a mostly scripted story, because one thing I've already learned about myself as a writer is that if I don't figure out the plot (and plan out how the conflicts will develop) in advance I just end up writing a lot of scenes in which nice people are nice to each other. This happens with my sims too. Without a conflict and plot planned out in advance, I just have them be nice. I've got a ridiculous number of screen shots from my other save games of sims hugging each other.

I'd love to have some other writers to chat with about how to do things as I go. Especially because I already know well how big writing projects can hit a "long dark night of the soul" point about midway where you start thinking "What on earth was I thinking? Why am I doing this?" And I hope I can also offer some advice and/or encouragement to others. For the same reason.

Since there are literally 5210 pages to this thread, I've opted not to read absolutely every post (or, was that supposed to be part of the initiation ritual?) but I did laugh pretty hard at the very early posts (back when the thread was started in May 2015) where it was quickly decided that the best advice that could be given to new writers was "have coffee, have donuts, have blueberries, have cupcakes."

This is totally true, and pretty much in line with what I have learned about writing over the years. You seem like my kind of crowd.

@GlacierSnow Welcome to the Writer's Lounge the co-hosts @CathyTea and @friendsfan367 aren't here to greet you at the moment but you can have some donuts and coffee while you wait
    dKMfUv5.jpg

i was home but instead of being here i was yelling at the tv, amazon prime hadn't added little house on the praie yet. i think they heard me yell at the tv it was added at noon.
  • Options
    i had cookie crisp cereal for dinner. i didn't know they still make it. i got my stich out yesterday.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Oh I want donuts now! Those look delicious, @MadameLee!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited March 2019
    Sul sul simmers *wave Passing thru to give you a heads up ... Watch this spot for changes!

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Oh I want donuts now! Those look delicious, @MadameLee!

tenor.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    If you haven't Polar Plunged before, I suggest giving it a try. Not only would you raise money for a great cause, but you can enjoy the chthrill of it!

@CathyTea I had a blast! After me and some colleagues plunged, we went out for dinner. Traffic was the real pits, but we enjoyed our time together away from the busy day we call work with each other.

That's so great! I've always thought that this seemed like one of the neatest things to do! So glad you got to, and it's really cool that you got to do it with work friends!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've been so inspired to write lately... I was going to work on Nightshade today but ended up doing other things. Maybe tomorrow. I can afford to slow down a little bit. :D How's everyone today?

I've been super inspired to write, but when I actually go to do it, I just can't figure out what I want to write! Been stuck on one chapter for a week now, and have only added a paragraph. :bawling:

Oh I feel you there!! I do that all the time. I can picture the chapter and scenes in my head, sit down, type two words and then... blank! I think we all have those moments. I'm sure you'll pull your chapter together soon!

I'm just glad I got a couple chapters done ahead of time so I've been able to keep up my posting schedule. I actually have a free weekend, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the chapter done!

That's great! On a very rare occasion I manage to write ahead... but usually I never end up sticking to any kind of schedule. I'm constantly back and forth between one or two updates a month and one or two updates a week, for a few weeks, then... back to every few weeks or so... *Sigh*

I've always struggled sticking to a schedule, but I'm doing my best for this story! It helps that I'm totally in love with it, and constantly want to write.

I'm curious, does anyone here write their entire completed story and then post it in installments, or does everyone post as they go? When I write I like to be able to move backwards and forwards through the story as I create it filling it out as the inspiration comes, rather than starting at the beginning and going straight forward toward the end. So I'm wondering how to handle doing a sim-lit because it's rather different than what I've done before.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options

@supernatural103 and @squirrelwithacup I have this problem so often myself. I feel this overpowering urge to write to the point where I can't concentrate on anything else, but when I finally say, "fine, let's write" and I sit down... nothing. Like trying to squeeze the last tiny bit of toothpaste out of the tube. There's just nothing there. So I totally feel your pain. Can last for weeks and weeks sometimes. Really frustrating.

For me it's often turned out to be a subconscious signal that something is bothering me about the direction I'm going, or what I've already written. When I finally figure out what it is that's bugging me and fix it, things usually get flowing again. At least until the next thing starts bugging me. :neutral:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Welcome to the lounge @GlacierSnow! It's nice to meet you. Call me Squirrel. I couldn't help but notice your simlit is a vampire story -- mine is too so it's great to see someone with a common interest! I hope you have a great time here and let me know if you ever need some vampire-related advice. Us supernatural lovers have to stick together, right? :lol:
    @squirrelwithacup We certainly do. I've always been a fantasy and science-fiction fan. And it was the supernatural that drew me to sims in the first place (I never even knew the game existed at all until my cousin got the sims 3 supernatural expansion pack for Christmas one year and I suddenly knew I needed to check it out...)

Hmm... Looks like I didn't do the quote thing properly. Is there a way to quote someone, but get rid of the proceeding quotes so you don't end up re-quoting yourself over and over in a conversation?
    I only came in at The Sims 4. It wasn't the supernatural that drew me to the sims, but I ended up getting the Vampires pack and fell in love. Then Get to Work brought me aliens... And then I improvised for other creatures in between (thanks, CC creators!) and now there are hardly any normal humans left in my game! I'm definitely looking forward to checking out your story when you get it rolling.

@squirrelwithacup Surprisingly, I only just bought "Get to Work" a couple weeks ago when it was on sale, mainly because I wanted a bunch of the build-buy stuff to flesh out my vampire school interior. So I actually haven't played with aliens at all yet, though I'm already starting to think of ideas I might do with them. I have a couple existing games/stories where aliens would fit in nicely.

In sims 3, I used to have one family with an alien kid. Her little brother was a plantsim and one of her dads was a fairy. For a while they had two ghosts living with them as well (one of whom was a former merman). I like unusual families. :smile:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    New BL Chapter! :) We have a Tyson and Riley reunion. :)
    Chapter 3.49
    tumblr_inline_pnqtlyLcFC1v2lczu_540.png
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member

I'm totally in love with mine too, but it's more of a problem of having a million things to do and finding the chance to get motivation to write.
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options

I'm curious, does anyone here write their entire completed story and then post it in installments, or does everyone post as they go? When I write I like to be able to move backwards and forwards through the story as I create it filling it out as the inspiration comes, rather than starting at the beginning and going straight forward toward the end. So I'm wondering how to handle doing a sim-lit because it's rather different than what I've done before.

Personally... okay, mine is kind of complicated. I played a file in The Sims 4 for about eight months, and then decided to bring the events and story to life as a simlit and retell things how I imagined them happening because needless to say my game was very dramatic, and my imagination took it so much further. So, I already know how Nightshade is going to go. I already know the basic plot outline and pacing, the beginning, the middle and the ending, which deviates from my game by that point since I'm STILL playing that file and I don't plan to stop but it has to end somewhere. But I write chapters one by one and release them as they go. So... I already am certain on what happens and what I need to write but I don't write the entire thing then release it.
    37oYgl3.png
  • Options

@supernatural103 and @squirrelwithacup I have this problem so often myself. I feel this overpowering urge to write to the point where I can't concentrate on anything else, but when I finally say, "fine, let's write" and I sit down... nothing. Like trying to squeeze the last tiny bit of toothpaste out of the tube. There's just nothing there. So I totally feel your pain. Can last for weeks and weeks sometimes. Really frustrating.

For me it's often turned out to be a subconscious signal that something is bothering me about the direction I'm going, or what I've already written. When I finally figure out what it is that's bugging me and fix it, things usually get flowing again. At least until the next thing starts bugging me. :neutral:

Finally someone put this into words! That's the exact same thing I do. Sometimes I sit down and get elaborate, poetic words flowing into the chapter that goes on and on... Then sometimes it's.

Amelia sat in a chair. "Hello," she said.

:lol:
    37oYgl3.png
  • Options
    Welcome to the lounge @GlacierSnow! It's nice to meet you. Call me Squirrel. I couldn't help but notice your simlit is a vampire story -- mine is too so it's great to see someone with a common interest! I hope you have a great time here and let me know if you ever need some vampire-related advice. Us supernatural lovers have to stick together, right? :lol:
    @squirrelwithacup We certainly do. I've always been a fantasy and science-fiction fan. And it was the supernatural that drew me to sims in the first place (I never even knew the game existed at all until my cousin got the sims 3 supernatural expansion pack for Christmas one year and I suddenly knew I needed to check it out...)

Hmm... Looks like I didn't do the quote thing properly. Is there a way to quote someone, but get rid of the proceeding quotes so you don't end up re-quoting yourself over and over in a conversation?
    I only came in at The Sims 4. It wasn't the supernatural that drew me to the sims, but I ended up getting the Vampires pack and fell in love. Then Get to Work brought me aliens... And then I improvised for other creatures in between (thanks, CC creators!) and now there are hardly any normal humans left in my game! I'm definitely looking forward to checking out your story when you get it rolling.

@squirrelwithacup Surprisingly, I only just bought "Get to Work" a couple weeks ago when it was on sale, mainly because I wanted a bunch of the build-buy stuff to flesh out my vampire school interior. So I actually haven't played with aliens at all yet, though I'm already starting to think of ideas I might do with them. I have a couple existing games/stories where aliens would fit in nicely.

In sims 3, I used to have one family with an alien kid. Her little brother was a plantsim and one of her dads was a fairy. For a while they had two ghosts living with them as well (one of whom was a former merman). I like unusual families. :smile:

I love love LOVE my aliens! They're so underappreciated! Here's a little fun fact for any of my readers: My favorite character in all of Nightshade (and there will be tons, trust me) has not yet appeared... but he's an alien. He's my baby. I love him and... I get way too attached to my sims :lol:
    37oYgl3.png
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member

Finally someone put this into words! That's the exact same thing I do. Sometimes I sit down and get elaborate, poetic words flowing into the chapter that goes on and on... Then sometimes it's.

This EXACT same thing always happens to me as well. Except... I only get elaborate when I'm writing something that isn't my simlit. Or I'm imagining how a chapter will go in my head. When i actually sit down to write it? Brain: hey what if I just shut off
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options

This EXACT same thing always happens to me as well. Except... I only get elaborate when I'm writing something that isn't my simlit. Or I'm imagining how a chapter will go in my head. When i actually sit down to write it? Brain: hey what if I just shut off

I have the opposite problem. i get a idea at work where of course i can't write it down then forget what it is when i get home.
  • Options
    if i use caps its a mistake. i wanted 2 things yesterday.1 little house on the prarie on prime. got that at noon. but i also wanted more money on my steam account. which is currently drving me nuts. cause it won't work.
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member

I have the opposite problem. i get a idea at work where of course i can't write it down then forget what it is when i get home.

This also happens to me. Except it always happens when I'm going to sleep.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options

This also happens to me. Except it always happens when I'm going to sleep.

thanks to jes i have that too. she cursed me right before gt came out. but its not so bad cause i can write it down if i remember. work i can't.
  • Options

I love hearing you express this! It's my experience, too, both with the writing getting in the way of everything else, and with feeling blocked when I subconsciously know the story took a wrong turn . I also sometimes can't write when I need to let the ideas or emotions behind them germinate a bit.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

I only use this approach for short fiction, but several of the longer works by others that I've read were written this way. It makes for a great reading experience because the work tends to have that tight, well-constructed feel, rather than the gangly feel that works written serially can get.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top