Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    > @AquaGamer1212 said:
    > Here’s my final verdict for the Sims 5....and I’m gonna get a lot of hate probably but here it is.
    >
    > They need to stop catering to lower end computers. 🤷‍♀️ Sims 5 needs to be beefy, it needs to be better. Open world could be amazing if done right. Other games can do it, why not the Sims?
    >
    > Also I think they should overhaul the base game adding ALL lifestages (real babies please), weather (not necessarily seasons just the basics), building tools (CASt, CAW, etc), etc. THEN they can move on to expansion packs and the like.
    >
    > If they don’t, Sims 5 is gonna end up a mess as well. I’d pay big bucks for a FULLY fleshed out and hard worked on base game.

They are more likely to open it up to even lower end computers if anything. The reality is to get as many people to play as possible they can't have a target audience of people with great gaming computers. 75% percent of people aren't going to go pay $2000 for a laptop and then turn around and pay for 10+ packs at $50 a pop. If they cater to the other 25% they would lose a LARGE amount of business. Plus, computers are becoming more obsolete today, unfortunately. A lot of people don't even own computers anymore and are headed to just using phones. Making games for high end computers only would be a monumental mistake for profits. And we all know EA is all about the money.

I’d have to disagree. They’re catering to low end computers now and look where that’s getting them. By not changing tactics they’ll lose a ton of players. And where are you getting your info that computers are becoming obsolete, because I don’t believe that for a second.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    At my advanced age, I'm definitely "old school". My gosh, I remember black and white TV, no cable, and no computers or micro chips. I'm one of the few who still doesn't own a "smart" phone. Thought I got really "advanced" when I went from a cordless phone to a "flip" phone. My first "computer" was a commodore. Wow. What a trip down memory lane this post has been.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm probably in the minority, but if they go away from desktop computers with the next iteration, they will have lost me for sure. I hope that @AquaGamer1212 is correct about desktop computers not becoming obsolete.
  • Options
    At my advanced age, I'm definitely "old school". My gosh, I remember black and white TV, no cable, and no computers or micro chips. I'm one of the few who still doesn't own a "smart" phone. Thought I got really "advanced" when I went from a cordless phone to a "flip" phone. My first "computer" was a commodore. Wow. What a trip down memory lane this post has been.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm probably in the minority, but if they go away from desktop computers with the next iteration, they will have lost me for sure. I hope that @AquaGamer1212 is correct about desktop computers not becoming obsolete.

Sims is not the only PC game. There’s Minecraft, Minecraft 2.0 (aka HyTale), shooter games like Siege, Fortnite and PubG. The list goes on. There’s also a bunch of steam games. Also, for anyone to do Let’s Plays and streams they need a PC.

• Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member

@luvdasims55 I love your post here! :lol: I am so "old school" as well, but...I think you might be a little bit older than me. ;)
    (I'm 33. :p And I LOVED the flip phones! I would seriously go back to them in a heartbeat! <3 )

In Bold: They will have lost me too. I hope desktop computers never become obsolete!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    emorrill wrote: »

@luvdasims55 I love your post here! :lol: I am so "old school" as well, but...I think you might be a little bit older than me. ;)
    (I'm 33. :p And I LOVED the flip phones! I would seriously go back to them in a heartbeat! <3 )

In Bold: They will have lost me too. I hope desktop computers never become obsolete!
    They won't. Between Steam, Epic Games, and Origin there are plenty of games to play plus indie games are getting really popular on desktop lately too. Plus with the Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/ you can play Steam games pretty much anywhere by connecting your computer to it. Like want to play the Sims 3 on the TV, you can. So if anything desktop computers are being used to connect to other devices through wireless devices. They would lose me as a customer if the Sims wasn't developed on a desktop and/or became a MMO game. They almost did when Sims 4 was originally going to be an online only game if it wasn't for the SimCity thing happening. As much as I love the Sims if I want to share my game I rather do it through streaming rather than playing with other Simmers because I'm a dangerous Sims pyro and Sims deviant, so homes are far from safe from me. I like to build and destroy and repeat.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't see the PC versions of games going away. IMHO, PC versions are the best because they are the most moddable.

As far as laptop vs. desktop - my PC is a laptop, but I use it as a desktop, attached to a keyboard, mouse, and big monitor. Best of both worlds!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I don't see the PC versions of games going away. IMHO, PC versions are the best because they are the most moddable.

As far as laptop vs. desktop - my PC is a laptop, but I use it as a desktop, attached to a keyboard, mouse, and big monitor. Best of both worlds!

EA's biggest revenue comes (other than Sports Games) from subscriptons and microtransactions. I would say TS5 won't be a pc game like we know and built more for being able to port to phones and tablets. It is where the money is according to their own reports and EA is running behind (in gaming) and is third in the world, where other companies are making billions on phones and tablets.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

EA's biggest revenue comes (other than Sports Games) from subscriptons and microtransactions. I would say TS5 won't be a pc game like we know and built more for being able to port to phones and tablets. It is where the money is according to their own reports and EA is running behind (in gaming) and is third in the world, where other companies are making billions on phones and tablets.

Phone and tablet sims only??? Sounds awful! I'm a gamer, I dont bother playing games on my phone or tablet because I want them on a huge screen while I'm sitting on my couch and upgrading my tower to oblige the graphics. Sure include sims 5 on phone and tablet but that would be extremely dissatisfying if they exclusively locked them there.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    For those saying laptops won't be able to cope, CES 19 unveiled that laptops are getting better all the time. Windows 10 I've found also can make it easy to project to TVs and large screens.
    Tom's Hardware showed off some of them...https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2019-laptop-predictions,news-59782.html
    Look at this! https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-mothership-zephyrus-price-specs-release-date,38312.html

and this! ...https://www.tomshardware.com/news/alienware-area-51m-price-specs-release-date,38311.html

I've started saving because if it takes Sims 5 (if ever) 3 more years to come out these specifications will be affordable for lots of us then. :)
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    So true. New technology is always expensive. Wait a few years and the price drops drastically. :)
  • Options
    leave_blank77leave_blank77 Posts: 26 Member
    Given the disasters of the last few years, and I'm not talking about just EA or the industry in general, just look at the Star Wars fiasco, I'm not holding my breath for something better. Let's just examine EA specifically, Sim City, the Battlefronts, Battlefield, Andromeda, Sims 4. Sims 4 has been the most criticized and worst performing of the series. It's also the buggiest, which is amazing considering it is the most stripped down with least amount of content in the series. There have been a lot of bad decisions made. Even EA sports games are feeling the heat. If you're expecting something stellar from the Sims 5, you're being overly optimistic.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm more optimistic. Apex Legends, just released, has had rave reviews so far and 25 million downloads the first week so let's hope Anthem is a success when it is released next week. Maybe it will make EA investors more confident and EA more generous funding Sims' games.

I doubt if there is another game so complicated as a Sim game so bugs can be expected when the game is continually expanded. I don't expect any other Sims' type game from another Games company even to be contemplated if they are going to crash on release like SimCity. It's a huge layout of funds and hope, and investors don't like that.

CEO's have never understood the fascination of Sims' games from 2000 onwards if you know "The Sims" history. We, the players have to be vocal in support not disparaging all the time.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm more optimistic. Apex Legends, just released, has had rave reviews so far and 25 million downloads the first week so let's hope Anthem is a success when it is released next week. Maybe it will make EA investors more confident and EA more generous funding Sims' games.

I doubt if there is another game so complicated as a Sim game so bugs can be expected when the game is continually expanded. I don't expect any other Sims' type game from another Games company even to be contemplated if they are going to crash on release like SimCity. It's a huge layout of funds and hope, and investors don't like that.

CEO's have never understood the fascination of Sims' games from 2000 onwards if you know "The Sims" history. We, the players have to be vocal in support not disparaging all the time.

I think our support is obvious and unwavering. Most of us buy anything and everything that gets dropped even if we complain it's not good enough afterward. But that's only because they started the bar so high with sims 2. These forums and Twitter are active with thousands, maybe millions, of fans talking about the sims every day. I doubt anyone would question our support. It would take drastic consistent fails for most of us to give up on the sims.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

when was the last time that EA failed a franchise, but then actively funded it with a successful franchise? If anything they kill off games doing well, if they're not doing well enough. Just look at Dead Space.
    soko37 wrote: »
    I think our support is obvious and unwavering. Most of us buy anything and everything that gets dropped even if we complain it's not good enough afterward. But that's only because they started the bar so high with sims 2. These forums and Twitter are active with thousands, maybe millions, of fans talking about the sims every day. I doubt anyone would question our support. It would take drastic consistent fails for most of us to give up on the sims.

I did this and then I realized that it does not send a message. If you think you'll rate the content of an expansion at maybe a 5/10 and use it occasionally, wait for that sale, those happen quite often now. If you think it won't meaningfully contribute to your game, just do not purchase. If you think it will make you unhappy later, do not buy. And yes, it leaves you with a void and this feeling that others are having fun and you're not. But remember that the newness wears off in a few weeks and then you're left with the game that you have started with, so why not skip that disappointed step and just enjoy what you have? :)
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Remember this: Apex is free. Well, kind of.

See, video game companies seem to think we have unlimited time. Money is one thing. But time? There's only 24 hours in one day, and you can't buy more. I can only play one game at once; currently that game is Assassin's Creed Oddessey.

So if there's a Sims 5, it's not exactly going to be easy to split my time between that and Sims 4.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    For those saying laptops won't be able to cope, CES 19 unveiled that laptops are getting better all the time. Windows 10 I've found also can make it easy to project to TVs and large screens.
    Tom's Hardware showed off some of them...https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2019-laptop-predictions,news-59782.html
    Look at this! https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-mothership-zephyrus-price-specs-release-date,38312.html

and this! ...https://www.tomshardware.com/news/alienware-area-51m-price-specs-release-date,38311.html

I've started saving because if it takes Sims 5 (if ever) 3 more years to come out these specifications will be affordable for lots of us then. :)

Me too! I was going to buy a new computer this year, but if development of TS5 is true, then I'll wait until they announce the game and post its spec requirements! Then I'll buy a computer with greater specs posted to make sure it accounts for all the expansion packs afterward! I'm seriously so excited about this!
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »

when was the last time that EA failed a franchise, but then actively funded it with a successful franchise? If anything they kill off games doing well, if they're not doing well enough. Just look at Dead Space.
    soko37 wrote: »

I did this and then I realized that it does not send a message. If you think you'll rate the content of an expansion at maybe a 5/10 and use it occasionally, wait for that sale, those happen quite often now. If you think it won't meaningfully contribute to your game, just do not purchase. If you think it will make you unhappy later, do not buy. And yes, it leaves you with a void and this feeling that others are having fun and you're not. But remember that the newness wears off in a few weeks and then you're left with the game that you have started with, so why not skip that disappointed step and just enjoy what you have? :)

I'm not sure what your reply to my post means. My post was in reply to what someone else wrote on here. Just confused lol
  • Options
    Bluebirddevil5970Bluebirddevil5970 Posts: 400 Member
    They wouldn't need to lower the quality consoles can handle alot more graphics for games as that's what they are made for it's the exact same as pc every tiny spec so that isn't a reason we've taken the packs like a champ and only 3 mpre packs tp be caught up april maybe and there won't be a sims 5 anytime soon since they have planned 20 packs coming out for all platforms and I don't want a sims 5 unless they open neighbourhoods or the world for sims 5 then yes I do want the sims 5 cause I hate loading screens it's a pain
  • Options
    cristill13cristill13 Posts: 2,162 Member
    @Bluebirddevil5970 I agree with you completely!
  • Options
    TheLostNightshadeTheLostNightshade Posts: 35 Member
    I don't know about the rest of you, (but I probably do, since I just scrolled through) but I really do want a TS5, just as much as I want for The Sims franchise to skyrocket and last for an extremely long time. No offense to Electronic Arts, but if TS4 plummets, that could be the end of the line of the franchise. Creating The Sims 5 could really turn out to be a huge hit, and could keep The Sims in the green for a long time, given they really do it right, completely filled with basically everything Simmers want in a new game.

They just have to play their cards right, and they'll be set. But this is just my opinion, and I can't control what anyone thinks about this. However, I know for a fact that something good will happen for The Sims franchise. I just know it.

Well said!

The thing is TS4 has plummeted and has done since day one. Trying to give it set dressing has not really resolved the issues that players still come across.

I mean I just heard that there is a new patch of some sort and a few players have already expressed how there are still not fixes for long standing bugs.

The thing is TS4 should end this year. They should have started on TS5 earlier and end this TS4 disapointment. I don't care about people whinging about TS4 not having everything yet. Well I expected the game to be watered down from the start so I expected empty and unfinished EPs to follow. I am not the one missing out here but also why should the series be denied of progression?

TS4 should end this year and TS5 should be launched. We should not be left with watching the can big kicked down the road any longer

:disappointed:

While a lot of people are profoundly disappointed with TS4 (I am not, but I fully acknowledge others are), I'm not sure how someone can state that it's plummeted. It's gotten better in a myriad of ways. It's doing very well in terms of sales and popularity, and there are many posts of earnings statements/units sold that support this. As well, there have been numerous official statements that it is continuing for years.

So, while in your mind it "should" end this year, the truth is, the game is doing well and will continue for a while.

Well, yeah. The Sims 4 wasn't really a letdown at all for me. I truly like it a lot. It's just that it's a bit upsetting to see that TS4 seemed... ...incomplete to players. I'm sure EA might promote TS4 in a way that'll help the game sprout up for other players who appear to be less impressed with it. In conclusion, I really do like The Sims 4. Really. And I still hope that TS5 will come to be soon.
    What? You-- I-- That doesn't even make any sense! Of course, Miles and Kiki have a great sibling selfie.
    p.png?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3
    TheLostNightshade: My best fwiend.
  • Options

Me too! I was going to buy a new computer this year, but if development of TS5 is true, then I'll wait until they announce the game and post its spec requirements! Then I'll buy a computer with greater specs posted to make sure it accounts for all the expansion packs afterward! I'm seriously so excited about this!

Really doubt they’re gonna announce Sims 5 in the next two years....

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Really doubt they’re gonna announce Sims 5 in the next two years....

Since we are in Speculation, I will say of course they are going to announce a new AAA Sim game within the next two years. Not sure it will be called TS5, however, it would be quite normal for them to do so. We know they are building it, the job openings were in 2018 for more people to expand on the team they already had working on it. Some people read things wrong and missed that point (nugget) in those job announcements. So, that would be four years of working on it or even 4+ if it was started development before 2018 as hinted at in those job openings. So, by my own reasoning and opinion I also doubt they take as long as the other games to develop a new one since they have learned they can take a lot of short cuts we normally wouldn't have accepted fifteen years ago. But anyway in two years the game they are building would have been in development at least four years and time to announce it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2019
    Everything I wanted about The Sims 4 never came true so I hope they are listening the major complains about this era and try to fix all of that with an essential The Sims 5
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    I don't see desktop pcs becoming obsolete. There are simmulation games that proove that some companies like EA are wrong! Cities Skylines and Planet Coaster are two good examples! Companies like EA and Atari are killing themselves with this behaviours.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Imagine what they can do with Sims 5 since it will only be 64bit for all PCs. By then most PCs will be high end.