Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the GTX 1050 a good card?

Comments

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I can't wait till I get this card. Only two more months :#
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Thank you all for your help. I had to fork out $79 more yesterday to get a display port to vga cable and almost had a heart attack when the system didn't automatically detect the card and my desktop looked awful. Then I remember that I needed drivers for the new card so off I headed to Geforce's website to get the driver and Geforce Experience.

I am so stoked to have a Geforce card again, I feel like I've reconnected with a long lost friend, lol.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays to those who celebrate
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Saunta2 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help. I had to fork out $79 more yesterday to get a display port to vga cable and almost had a heart attack when the system didn't automatically detect the card and my desktop looked awful. Then I remember that I needed drivers for the new card so off I headed to Geforce's website to get the driver and Geforce Experience.

I am so stoked to have a Geforce card again, I feel like I've reconnected with a long lost friend, lol.

That's great! Next thing i would save up for is a new monitor so you can use HDMI. ;)
    Happy Holidays to you also. :smiley:
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

That's great! Next thing i would save up for is a new monitor so you can use HDMI. ;)

Lol, the next thing is a processor. Cities: skylines says the one I have isn't sufficient to play.
  • Options

Lol, the next thing is a processor. Cities: skylines says the one I have isn't sufficient to play.

What cpu is it?
    Remember most cpu upgrades also require a new motherboard to support it, and depending on what motherboard you get it might need different ram also.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Like Chester mentioned, if you want a new skylake processor, you will need a new motherboard and new ram to go with that new CPU. New skylake processor uses DDR4 ram
  • Options
    AMD athlon II X4 640, I'm not on the system right now. That's all I remember.
  • Options
    Like Chester mentioned, if you want a new skylake processor, you will need a new motherboard and new ram to go with that new CPU. New skylake processor uses DDR4 ram

Have no clue what a skylake processor was, had to google it. My motherboard uses AMD
  • Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    You could get a AMD fx cpu however i would also be installing a cpu cooler.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

I believe there's a fan directly over the CPU from what I see
  • Options

You would need a aftermarket cpu cooler like this

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835103099

The stock fans that come with the cpu are not very good and AMD fx can heat up more then intel.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited December 2016

The stock fans that come with the cpu are not very good and AMD fx can heat up more then intel.

There's a fan like that already in there over the processor
  • Options

There's a fan like that already in there over the processor

That's good.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I noticed my PC is quite with the new gpu when playing. While gaming before is used to hear a fan revving like crazy, I believe it was the R7 260x fan. Now I'm not hearing that noise
  • Options
    I noticed my PC is quite with the new gpu when playing. While gaming before is used to hear a fan revving like crazy, I believe it was the R7 260x fan. Now I'm not hearing that noise

The AMD 200 series did heat up a little more thats why you heard the fan. ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    TMUTAYLEETMUTAYLEE Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi there, pros. I am buying a gaming laptop to play the sims 4 at ultra settings. Will one with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI card be enough for max graphic settings or should I go for one with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 ?
  • Options
    XxJoshuaSimxXXxJoshuaSimxX Posts: 63 Member
    Go with a GTX 1050 Ti. There better than a regular 1050. But it depends where you buying it.
  • Options
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > Go with a GTX 1050 Ti. There better than a regular 1050. But it depends where you buying it.

Ill probably buy it from Best Buy or amazon. Can you recommend a brand?
  • Options
    TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > Go with a GTX 1050 Ti. There better than a regular 1050. But it depends where you buying it.

Ill probably buy it from Best Buy or amazon. Can you recommend a brand?

when i built my pc i went with the Gigabyte one on amazon. I got mine for 140. now its 172 on amazon.
    It was amazing.
  • Options
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    >
    > > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > > Go with a GTX 1050 Ti. There better than a regular 1050. But it depends where you buying it.
    >
    > Ill probably buy it from Best Buy or amazon. Can you recommend a brand?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > when i built my pc i went with the Gigabyte one on amazon. I got mine for 140. now its 172 on amazon.
    > It was amazing.

My bad, I meant what laptop brand would you recommend. That sounds great though.. it played well on ultra?
  • Options
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    >
    > > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:
    > > Go with a GTX 1050 Ti. There better than a regular 1050. But it depends where you buying it.
    >
    > Ill probably buy it from Best Buy or amazon. Can you recommend a brand?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > when i built my pc i went with the Gigabyte one on amazon. I got mine for 140. now its 172 on amazon.
    > It was amazing.

My bad, I meant what laptop brand would you recommend. That sounds great though.. it played well on ultra?

whats ur budget
  • Options
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:

> My bad, I meant what laptop brand would you recommend. That sounds great though.. it played well on ultra?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > whats ur budget

So after talking to my parents i'm only allowed to get an apple laptop since thats the only brand they trust
  • Options
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:

> My bad, I meant what laptop brand would you recommend. That sounds great though.. it played well on ultra?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > whats ur budget

So after talking to my parents i'm only allowed to get an apple laptop since thats the only brand they trust

Ok. you can still play the sims 4 on apple. but not the sims 3. you can only play low setting on apple laptop
  • Options
    megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    > @XxJoshuaSimxX said:

>
    >
    >
    >
    > whats ur budget

Ok. you can still play the sims 4 on apple. but not the sims 3. you can only play low setting on apple laptop

Sorry to interrupt but why that last thing? I own a Macbook Pro and was thinking about installing TS3, I can't see why wouldn't it be possible to set visual options on high. The new Macbook Pros are mounting last gen i7 quad-core and even six-core; the bigger ones with 4GB Nvidia cards.