Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 launcher won't download store patches anymore

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
I noticed if you reset your Sims 3 my documents folder and load the games launcher, it no longer prompts or downloads the Sims 3 store updates since the newest version of Origin came out in December.

I tried to uninstall origin and I got the message "unable to connect to the EA download manager" (which is Origin) from the launcher. This is annoying since originally I never even had Origin installed until recently (hence it never used a EA download manager). So I reinstalled and this message went away - however it still doesn't download the store patches.

SO it seems like we can no longer download the store patches from the launcher now if you do a clean install or reset your sims 3 documents folder. I'm hoping this is just a "me" issue and directly related to Origin, but I somehow doubt it and I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the store patch downloads.

NOW there might be a bug somehow related in here to the fact that origin as a download manager is blocking the launcher from patching IF you have origin installed at some point, however I tried rolling back to Origin 9.2 and it still wouldn't download the store patches.

To EA please re-enable/re-upload the store content patches (if this isn't a bug) and for the community reading this you might want to make a backup of your "contentpatch" folder in your Sims 3 docs folder. It should just be a matter of re-adding it....I think unless its also adding some kind of file into the base sims 3 doc folder...

Myself I'm out of luck for now...this is frustrating. Breaks a ton of store content.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    If anybody else can confirm this by backing up their sims 3 docs folder and try deleting sims 3 doc folder, then load the launcher and seeing if it prompts you to download the store patches I'd really appreciate it. This way we will know they have removed the store patches for sure (if we have multiple people can confirm it).
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    The Store Patches have never been made available to players on Patch 1.69 going back over two years now. It is my understanding that they are taken care of by Origin and the patch already. They still show up right away for those on a fresh 1.67 game folder, with no Origin involvement.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    The Store Patches have never been made available to players on Patch 1.69 going back over two years now. It is my understanding that they are taken care of by Origin and the patch already. They still show up right away for those on a fresh 1.67 game folder, with no Origin involvement.

Ya I know that 1.69 has store patches included but I made a post a long time ago why to avoid 1.69 and still play from disc install/running 1.67.

So this has nothing to do with 1.69. I'm thinking now maybe origin is flagging the launcher not to install store patches because it now assumes you have 1.69 installed even if you don't? That seems unlikely.

Again I would really appreciate it if somebody would test this out.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    But Origin would have to be running to do that. I don't have an Origin install anymore, my game is controlled by Steam so when my Store Patches show up again right away as they do for Mac users that start the Launcher, that wouldn't really prove anything for you.

I must have misunderstood at first. I think you would need someone with an all-disc 1.67 (or 1.63) install and Origin installed and freshly updated aside from that to start up the game with no game folder in place, thus spawning a new game folder, to test this. Or I guess just have them remove their store patches.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    whats annoying me to no end is that with Origin uninstalled, the Sims 3 launcher is now looking constantly for Origin as the download manager despite not having it installed before last week. The other thing is I've HAD origin installed in the past WITH the Sims 3 installed from disc/loaded from disc and it always downloaded the store patches.

IT'S literally just since the last December origin update this has become an issue at least for me.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member

I had problems downloading some lots from the exchange and got the message about the store patch needing to be updated. I am on 1.67 and often rename my sims 3 folder to let a new one spawn. I think I remember that I had problems with the store patch the last time I tried installing it too. I too just copied in files from an old sims 3 folder.

I never launch my game through the launcher. I use a shortcut directly to the game bin TS3w.exe file.

I find Origin very annoying, but I actually downloaded some SPs/EPs through them. Even though I have all the discs now, I am sure that I used Origin to do the patching. (That was before Origin updated as I have my computer set NOT to update Origin.)

My store content files in the dccache folder, installed worlds, etc. all copied over okay from my old drive to my new one. That saved me from reinstalling them. Thus, I've kept Origin on my computer because what I have is working now and I don't want to mess with that.