Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Those of you NOT on super fast gaming PCs...

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    My old laptop had a GT 635M, and it did get a bit hot and started blowing out air from the side vents when I played Sims 4, but it was fine for the most part.

At least until it started having power issues whenever I used the NVidia card, but that might be because of its age.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have a regular laptop, not a gaming one, and it doesn't get very hot and it's never loud. The game is a little bit laggy though since I installed City Living. Before that EP I rarely had any lag but now I get it quite frequently. It isn't that spikey lag where the game stops for a second and then jumps, it's that really sluggish lag that happens whenever you rotate/scroll the camera and click to do interactions. It's only in Live Mode and (very very very rearly) Build Mode, never in CAS. It's really frustrating lol. It makes me a little bit nervous for Cat's and Dogs :D
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Very loud and very hot. Burns my legs
  • Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    My laptop was advertised as a "gaming" laptop, but when I bought it I didnt notice it was less than an inch thick. So it overheats very quickly lol I can't play at all without a cooling fan under it, or while it has full battery and plugged in. It works best while unplugged so I'm lucky that the battery is still really good on it and I can play for a few hours before it needs charging. I bought in 2013. While charging, the fan will overheat every 20 mins or so and i have to unplug it and hold it up for the cool air to get to it. It handles sims3 on medium graphics with everything aside from WA installed, with some lag here or there but I stopped playing/installing sims4 on it after get together, but it was playing it okay with cc installed on medium graphics at the time. I dont know how it would be with everything else installed now though. As for how hot it gets, I wouldnt put it in bare skin, it would probably sting! The cooling pad has made a huge difference in performance for me though and I wouldn't even try opening the game wothout it, I highly recommend getting one.
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    I'm on a Macbook Retina (2015 I think), it'll be two years old by December. It has 16GB of RAM and a 2.5gHz processor or whatever that means, I'm not entirely sure. I play on Laptop Mode, and rarely do I get crashes (soooo much better then TS3, it was unplayable then).

It does run pretty hot but it's okay, I keep it propped up slightly on my desk and I have no worries.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    My old old laptop got hot from watching just a youtube video xDDDDD That was the only tab / window open too! xD
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I think it also depends on the settings you play the game on. If you have a lower end laptop, but play with laptop mode on, it shouldn't be heating up like crazy or making loud fan noises. At least that was for me when I had my old HP laptop with a weak processor and GT 740m card.

But now, I have a gaming laptop and playing it on high with laptop mode off. But since it's a gaming laptop, the fans don't make loud noises. It does get a bit warm but I also live in a super hot and humid country and I have no air conditioning in my house, so it's kinda expected. I use a laptop cooler tho.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I run my PC on laptop mode and it makes a world of difference.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited August 2017
    I play on a HP laptop that I've had for two years on average settings. After about half an hour, it starts to heat up and goes from there. I barely hear a fan noise and the gaming quality is pretty good.
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I had a Samsung laptop that is not 5 years old (I recently replaced it with an iMac) but it ran amazingly well all things considered, I used it mainly for Sims 3 at the time I got it and had no issues with heat or loud fans. The game was quick and smooth even with all of the expansions and a LOT of CC. It also ran Sims 4 well but I didn't use it as much for this as I held off buying it until it came down in price. It did get slower over time but I don't think that was just down to the games, everything slowed down with it which is why I replaced it. (Seriously it took a good 20 minutes to turn on and load up in it's last days).

But yeah, for a laptop I originally bought just to do coursework on it did pretty well :smile:
  • Options
    TazzykikiTazzykiki Posts: 751 Member
    I use a Dell Laptop that I got for Christmas so it's...a few months old? The fan isn't too loud but it does get hot if I've been on Sims4 for awhile. At least it's not like my other,demonic ones. They were bulky, loud, hot and shut down after like half an hour. The keys would always try to rip my nails off and the heat would nearly cause the whole thing to explode xD But I still managed to play Sims4(which was quite laggy at the time) on the dem---laptops.
    KnhUVzT.png

• Options
    MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    My gaming laptop is one year old, I can play TS4 and TS3 in high graphics. It gets hot after a few hours, (because I use a pillow) and the game rarely lags, (but I have bugs and glitches sooo..)
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »

If you don't mind me asking, in what ways exactly, vis-a-vis computer performance and gameplay?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I play on just a typical laptop. It's about 1 year old. Game runs fine, and I have all of the higher settings in place. Laptop itself seems to be able to handle it; doesn't get too noisy or too hot at all, even when I go on hours-long playing sessions.
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I play on a Labtop too :lol: I don't know off hand how old it is now though :lol: I tend to lose track of things like that... But I haven't encounter any problems I imagine I wouldn't have with a computer, assuming I'd want one of those bulky, space eater-upers that require a desk or something to be kept on 24/7 :lol:
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    How hot does your computer get when you play? and now noisy does the fan get?

I ask because while my laptop is built for gaming it's 5 years old and I want to gauge how mine compares, hence the thread title; not really much point asking people who play on new, powerful gaming machines 'cause theirs is probably cool and quiet. (Though I'd be interested to know if it isn't.)

I'd be particularly interested to hear from those playing on laptops and whether they use additional cooling.
    Thanks. :)

Been running S3 on three laptops.
    First one, an ancient Dell 1720. (9 years old).

Then I got an Alienware(!) M17x-gen. 4.
    (3-4 years old) (Much 'better').
    It became toasted.

I returned to my Dell1720...
    ...Harddisk broke.

Bought a new Asus(!!) GL553VD(...)
    Much more potent.
    It humms like a bee, rather than the twice more expensive Alienware which sounds like a Hurricane Katrina in Dolby(tm) stereo-surround.
    Heat. Nope, by far compared to the old lappy.

The problem with lappys... ...There are so many plum-bad designs. Technically, they might be 'good', but more than often, they are baaad. Really. Really bad.

Name and number, we can help you. Brand and model. -To answer if its good or plum.

ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I have a gaming laptop but it's not a super high-end one; it's about 2 years old. No fan noise but it does get a bit on the warm side so I use a cooling mat underneath (also raises up the computer to a better angle for writing so it's a win-win). You might want to look into a cooling mat for your laptop if you're having issues with heat.

I think the fan noise might be par for the course with a 5 year old computer; you could possibly take it to a computer shop and make sure no debris slipped inside to cause the fan noise.

Oh, basic specs: Intel i7 processor, 12GB RAM, I think the video card is an NVIDIA 650m but I lost the little sticker and can't figure out where it's listed. I've had it for about 2 years but it was a closeout 2014 model so I got it on a really good deal. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    My computer was getting quite loud until we dusted inside the tower. It's quite now.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2017
    My computer was getting quite loud until we dusted inside the tower. It's quite now.

@BlkBarbiegal

That answer would help if You added what brand, what model, how old it is.
    -In the case of heat-issues, those three factors is actually quite, quite important.

/Edit: And yes, if it is more than one years old, cleaning MUST BE DONE, fyi.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have an older Lenovo, about 7 years old and a newer lappy, both run Sims 4 great, very little noise from fans, cooling mat under the laptop keeps it cool. I played Sims 3 on desktop without too much problem, after NRaas of course. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SimtasticSimmer0SimtasticSimmer0 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok, I know this isn't on topic but I have watched a few youtubers builds and I've noticed that some of them built off of the grid. How do I do that??
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    My fan gets a bit loud, but it's no where near as bad as when I play sims 3 on it. Sims 4 is a lot easier on my poor laptop.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited August 2017

If you don't mind me asking, in what ways exactly, vis-a-vis computer performance and gameplay?

When I didn't have this on and tried to run my game on higher graphics settings, the fan was noisy and the computer would get really hot. With the laptop mode on I don't seem to have this problem and my game also runs smoother. I have an HP All-in-One desktop that's about 6 years old.

https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options

When I didn't have this on and tried to run my game on higher graphics settings, the fan was noisy and the computer would get really hot. With the laptop mode on I don't seem to have this problem and my game also runs smoother.

I see. My computer generates the same noise/temperature whether laptop mode's on or off.