Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Inspiration comes from TV dramas, reading other Simlit stories, and playing saves that aren't in my story. I always start thinking of similar drama my Sims could get into, and want to go play them.
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited March 2017
    sunnyshay wrote: »
    So if you isolate sims from each other in separate rooms, they'll start having conversations through the walls. WTP! Another idea flushed down the drain for TS4.

@sunnyshay I think they can try having conversation but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be able to. I know they totally knew that there's other people behind the wall, but I've never seen them talking through wall, well, except if there's a door separating them.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited March 2017
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Where do you get inspiration today ?

(I'm getting it from a challenging work project that's finally finding resolution to gnarly issues ! )

I've been plotting out the 3rd season of my story and working around my 2nd season outline and I'm planning to introduce more characters. I recently had to think up the personalities of the new characters. I get inspiration for their personalities from my friends' personalities, in which a lot of them have an enthusiastic personality.

I get inspiration for my stories from real life, movies, and books.
    Post edited by Simslover163 on
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    AkramA wrote: »
    So if you isolate sims from each other in separate rooms, they'll start having conversations through the walls. WTP! Another idea flushed down the drain for TS4.

@sunnyshay I think they can try having conversation but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be able to. I know they totally knew that there's other people behind the wall, but I've never seen them talking through wall, well, except if there's a door separating them.

I ran a test and they can in fact have conversations through the wall IF the room are right next to each other. Do note that the sims I'm talking about were locked in small rooms. I think its ridiculous and they never went crazy either.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    Inspiration Wednesday !

(I'm getting it from a challenging work project that's finally finding resolution to gnarly issues ! )

Real Life, History, TV shows, and lately youtube videos
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Sims 2. Lots of interesting things going on there.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited March 2017
    Inspiration Wednesday !

i think mine comes from just writing this story. the benders love to challenge me.
    Post edited by friendsfan367 on
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @ra3rei Thank you for the thorough list of your stories featuring the Meatballs. I will read through them and hopefully update the website soon. (Have to finish the next chapter of the Heffners first.) Be prepared for my very biased comments though! Inappropriate use of Meatballs makes me frown. Thanks again!
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Stealing from other people story, is that inspiration :* ? Hehe. Hopefully no one notice! I'm an idea kleptomaniac

Believe it or not, even the professional writers steal ideas, some of them even recommend doing it. See, you're safe there.

I'm trying get inspiration from my own experiences (that sounds rather horrible considering what's been happening in my legacy...), but mostly I'm just watching the characters and let them speak to me about what they want and I do all in my power not to give it to them. Yep, that's pretty much how it works. I guess it wasn't much helpful, was it?
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

Just dropping by... Not inspired by anything in particular on Wednesdays but the quoted post did flush me out of lurking for a sec.

They always talk through the door in my game, but not through a solid wall.
  • Options
    Inspiration Wednesday !

how is a challenging work project inspiration? kidding hope its going well. hugs.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Hey there how's everyone :) I'm still super busy with studying but my last exam is tomorrow! Then I can get back into Simlit and Youtube :) Super excited for it.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @Julyvee94: Did you get any early access to Bowling Stuff or were you stuck waiting? (Not like it'd matter much in exam season) Good luck!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Today it's been all about bowling night. All day at work I was planning my town's "bowling alley" in my head (even though according the game it will be a bar or a lounge). I'm not really a builder, but I find that if I build with story events in mind it's easier, and even enjoyable, because I know I'm building something for specific Sims.

I also rolled a new trait in the lot I played last night-kleptomaniac. I've never played with that one before, and it actually added a whole new dimension to the house. So, I guess you could also say I was inspired by randomization.

Update is here: http://tranquilitycreeksims.blogspot.com/2017/03/doe-1-round-14.html
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    Inspiration Wednesday! Let's seeeee....today I am getting inspiration from articles in the newspapers from the 1920s and 1930s. It's a good way to find out what the popular opinions were back then to make the family feel real.
  • Options
    chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    I get my inspiration from many sources, mainly real life events, other works of fiction, music(!), the game itself, emotions, my wierd dreams and most of all: walks I both like and needI to take. As my mind runs free, it finds many ideas.
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I've got a new post up today! New post up today. The club agrees to go on Laurel's crazy mission to stop the vampires. Gavin heads home to try and get his grandparents on board.
    03-09-17_5-18-41c2a0pm.png

I intended to write up the next post I just finished screenshotting, but alas, I've downloaded the Bowling Pack and I'm playing that in my game testing save. I'll post some cool screenshots of that later tonight!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Like @chocis, I do like a bit of "ripped from the headlines" inspiration. Police brutality (especially racially-motivated brutality) and white supremacy in America were finally getting mainstream attention when I was writing Eight Cicadas, so it became one of Annette's human conflicts. Otherwise, Goodwin would have just been a background character.

I do wonder what would happen if I started Cicadas today instead of two years ago. With all the talk about Islamophobia/prejudice and racism against Middle Eastern people, I could see myself hitting that topic instead. Especially because the story opens with North African/possible ex-Muslim Annette befriending half-Lebanese Harwood.

(There was a giant paragraph here about the cues from IRL local drama that I'm slowly weaving into No Stars over Uptown, but that stuff really should be anonymous. Long story short: petty Catholic drama adapted into the character study of a troubled Vietnamese woman)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

So, I can throughly give my thumbs up to the Bowling Night pack (aside from the detail that bowling games take forever-I finally had to manually end mine because it was almost 1AM.) Here's a shot of my first group of bowlers:

nqxybt.png

Kids bowling is pretty adorable; Viola (the one in the black shirt) even got a strike at one point and she was so proud of herself.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    oops anthony just broke up a marriage. i never found the bowling alley so noel and lauren are having flirty teen issues .
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

My Sims have been talking through the front doors with their visitors! I kinda like it, since they're all sort of social/anti-social Sims, anyway! "Yay! Let's chat! But, uh, don't come in..."
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited March 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Did someone say, Matt? ;)

Inspiration Wednesday !

how is a challenging work project inspiration? kidding hope its going well. hugs.

It's the resolution to a particularly sticky aspect of the project that was inspiring, but today I had to talk with some people who are really, really grumpy about the project, so I've got the uninspired moodlet. :( Think I'll work on my garden blog to chill and think about happy plants.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited March 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Did someone say, Matt? ;)

yeah him or bandgeek8408 (shows I spent TOO much time on his channel if I can type it off the top of my head)..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    @Maladi777 I look forward to figuring out how to justify my Meatball use! I'm sure I can make it work. :)
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    @ra3rei Thank you for the thorough list of your stories featuring the Meatballs. I will read through them and hopefully update the website soon. (Have to finish the next chapter of the Heffners first.) Be prepared for my very biased comments though! Inappropriate use of Meatballs makes me frown. Thanks again!
    Inspiration Wednesday !

Stealing from other people story, is that inspiration :* ? Hehe. Hopefully no one notice! I'm an idea kleptomaniac

Believe it or not, even the professional writers steal ideas, some of them even recommend doing it. See, you're safe there.

I'm trying get inspiration from my own experiences (that sounds rather horrible considering what's been happening in my legacy...), but mostly I'm just watching the characters and let them speak to me about what they want and I do all in my power not to give it to them. Yep, that's pretty much how it works. I guess it wasn't much helpful, was it?

Even if we don't "steal" from each other, they say it's impossible to come up with something 100% original because there are a limited number of basic plots, and all stories are just variations of the same plots. Some say there are 20, some say there are 7. Whatever the number is, all ideas stem from the same source but are just done differently. A beautiful example of this in our own circle is legacy stories! We're all telling the same story but in so many different, awesome ways. Even when we borrow ideas from each other we implement them into our own stories in our own ways. And, even when someone straight up copies your idea word for word, it's still not exactly the same. It's a beautiful thing!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top