Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Menu

Does anyone have a picture? I want to see it but not able to load the game for a while :)
thx
My Top Picks for an EP:
University
Seasons
Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)

Comments

• Options
    LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    Someone posted a photo on another thread :smile:
    It's a 2.61 GB update.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/911610/february-2-2017-patch-notes#latest

Well my game is updated and I guess I should peek in it, since I didn't even read the notes, yet... :D
    (I hope there is a surprise, I love surprises) :)

So far, cleaner main menu...
    Hopefully it will work out well... :*
    2s9q8lj.jpg

*from Patch Notes:

Outdoor Retreat

Rental Lots can now have their lot type changed, and are no longer locked in Granite Falls.

OMG does this mean we can LIVE there?

(I had the Mod that makes it all Tropical, and I wanted to make that like a home residence! )

Nope, no residence, silly me. :(
    I had a delusional moment there.. It's over, lol!

But I guess being able to change it , and take rentals elsewhere is better than staying locked...

** I hope someday they make a Tropical World to live in...

(so I don't have to depend on Mods, since they break with all the patches anyway)
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited February 2017
    The redesign is awful, especially since I play TS4 on a 24:10 display instead of your standard 16:9 display. Way too much wasted space/things are badly aligned.

wGtmXbh.jpg

I liked the old one much better.

ZjMGMSh.jpg
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Also, these pack icons on the main menu are way too low res. Does Maxis think everyone plays the game on a tiny 720p display?

xVhcGDG.jpg
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I really like the pack overview

Only problem is for people who want certain packs but can't afford them/aren't allowed to get them etc it's a reminder every time they go in-game that they don't have them.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Guess the packs aren't selling very well...
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »

Only problem is for people who want certain packs but can't afford them/aren't allowed to get them etc it's a reminder every time they go in-game that they don't have them.

I have not seen a picture where a person doesn't have every pack. I thought they would not be included in the overview. Are they still there, but grayed out?
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member

I mean at the end of the day its marketing for them that will work
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    joseiloaizachjoseiloaizach Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017

I have not seen a picture where a person doesn't have every pack. I thought they would not be included in the overview. Are they still there, but grayed out?

Yes, look at the photo above, the Vampires and Vintage Glamour icons are grayed out. It doesn't bother me that much though, it used to be that way in The Sims 2.
    SWB%2BBanner%2BForums.png

♦ Origin ID: joseiloaizach
    ♦ Blog: simwillbuild.blogspot.com
    ♦ Twitter: twitter.com/SimWillBuild
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

At least it's not micro-transactions.

*shudder*

Plus, after a while, your eyes are just going to pass over it as part of the known scenery. A scotoma. I think it's more intended as an easy way for people to know what they have or don't have a glance. I'm pretty sure the main menu always had that information. It was just hidden in some UI window that nobody clicks on.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

*shudder*

Plus, after a while, your eyes are just going to pass over it as part of the known scenery. A scotoma. I think it's more intended as an easy way for people to know what they have or don't have a glance. I'm pretty sure the main menu always had that information. It was just hidden in some UI window that nobody clicks on.

Correct, except before it would be annoying because that particular UI element would shiny and flash with new content was out. Super annoying. This is better. I can see what I do and don't have but hopefully it's also not yelling that there is new content.
  • Options
    lmkiture wrote: »

*shudder*

Correct, except before it would be annoying because that particular UI element would shiny and flash with new content was out. Super annoying. This is better. I can see what I do and don't have but hopefully it's also not yelling that there is new content.
    Heh, I think I had tuned out the flashy part, but now you mention it, I do vaguely remember that.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member

Yes, look at the photo above, the Vampires and Vintage Glamour icons are grayed out. It doesn't bother me that much though, it used to be that way in The Sims 2.

It's also like this in the Sims 3 launcher. Though they're a lot smaller.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    Hopefully someone will make a mod to remove this eyesore. I don't need to be reminded that I can't afford to buy the latest pack everytime I open my game.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Hmm not sure what to think of the new design. I didn't have any issues with the old one, apart from being forced to create a new sim each time you wanted to make a new game.
    Any reason why it was changed? Did people have issues with it?
    I'm sure I'll get used to it, just didn't see a point in the changes, might just be me tho.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    Hmm not sure what to think of the new design. I didn't have any issues with the old one, apart from being forced to create a new sim each time you wanted to make a new game.
    I'm sure I'll get used to it, just didn't see a point in the changes, might just be me tho.

Same. I didn't see why they'd have to spend their resources on changing the main menu. Did anyone complain about the way it looked before? Not that I know of.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I like the new menu myself, think they just wanted to change it up like they did with the loading screens, I am not missing anything yet but the greying out when you don't have it all never bothered me. There will probably be a mod to change it back though, just got to wait on the modders if it's not for you.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Curls4LifeCurls4Life Posts: 70 Member
    I'm very torn on the new menu. I like that I can now view which packs I have, and subsequently don't have, but the overall aesthetic feels very cluttered. Of course, it'll undoubtedly grow on me, but right now I prefer the minimalist approach of the old menu.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Same. I didn't see why they'd have to spend their resources on changing the main menu. Did anyone complain about the way it looked before? Not that I know of.

There was some confusion with people not sure where to click to load an old save, or how to start a new game -- with floppy discs going the way of the dodo, some people don't know what the disc symbol stands for. :/
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    lmkiture wrote: »

*shudder*

Ohh didn't noticed that
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member

@PrincessVee Exactly! Its their decision of course, but I would just have liked to know why it needed to be changed.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I definitely prefer the old one.
  • Options

Oh, I think it was in need of some updating. The cynic in me thinks it was motivated primarily by making the packs more visible. But... it could have just as easily been a "business" situation, where they wanted to do UI updates to try to make it more user-friendly and they had to justify the cost somehow. So they justified the budget/resources on the premise that by making the pack interface more visible as part of the procedure, the budgetary cost for improving the UI would payoff with more sales in the long-term. Like an exchange.

Whether all of it is more user-friendly is up for debate, but that seems to be what they were going for. I know I won't miss clicking a tiny, nameless icon to load a game or start a new one.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Maybe this is a bit off topic, but when they talked about this new look I was kinda of hoping we would be able to see our sims heads when picking what action they had to do, like in all previous games. It might sound silly, but I really liked that.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    To me it's basically the same menu, except I like that they moved the create new household menu to the world map, the old way of doing it was counter intuitive and confusing. Basically I care about functionality, not the design that much. I want to get past the thing fast anyway. lol
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---