Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think there's a residual darkness to previous sims games?

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen this "The Sims 4 is too happy" here on the forums before, but it's really just the core of the game not working as intended, the reason for everybody being always happy in The Sims 4 is basically:

1- There ins't actually full autonomy, even at the max settings there's an HUGE, and I mean REALLY HUGE number of interactions that are disabled for autonomy, mostly interactions deemed as "negative", you won't see sims fighting because the developers intentionally disabled it, that's their "vision" of the game, except the autonomy options should give you control over this, but they don't, it's all a lie.
    2- The Whims are extremely basic and random, and again, are pretty much all happy things.
    3- Oh, thanks for reminding me, the fact all sims have goldfish memories and the consequences for things are dumbed down, by instance, divorce, it should really affect the kids, but they get over it way too quickly.

I'm posting too much on this thread lol.

In both Sims 2 and 3 kids would be affected by cheating parents or divorces. Recently my sim was flirting with his ex, the daughter's mom, in Sims 3 and she got so mad at her dad then the cat pushed her over... lol but that makes it believable. Here the kids don't feel like they even exist
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    They either get totally rid of the whims imo, which is a somewhat big loss since whims are suppose to stand for what the sim wants to do or accomplish in a short amount of time, it's better than having random stuff pop up and that is beyond repetitive since the variety is so little, besides not properly working sometimes (when it asks to level let's say handiness skill, if you level something else it'll count), or rework the entire system as well as rework the whim UI in some way, which would be preferable imo but I'd still rather have nothing to what we have now.

I'd also prefer if they reworked aspirations (again) so they are just one major goal, perhaps with the exception of the grilled cheese aspiration.

But it's just my opinion anyways.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    Sims need to remember their roots! The Sims was an extension of Sim City, where fighting fire and crime was part of a mayor's job. It only made sense that Sims were constantly burning down their houses and getting robbed.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sims need to remember their roots! The Sims was an extension of Sim City, where fighting fire and crime was part of a mayor's job. It only made sense that Sims were constantly burning down their houses and getting robbed.

Supposedly this version is going back to the roots. The difference now is one guy at EA things games are too hard and others think a Sim dying just isn't "fair".
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

Supposedly this version is going back to the roots. The difference now is one guy at EA things games are too hard and others think a Sim dying just isn't "fair".

Don't forget when they said pointing is rude.
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Hyeion wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Sims 3 didn't scare you? Then you haven't played bridgeport at night as a babysitter and saw vampire mom die right in front of you then haunt your sim's house and possess the stove while the sims slept. I was so scared I had to shut down my game haha.

But Sms 2 had me banning my sims from downtown at night because I was scared of the vampires to the point of adding a bowling alley in their house

Really? I guess I shouldn't saw anything though. I'm just not the scared type. Even when I was a kid horror movies never bothered me. I think the only time I was even apprehensive was when I saw Janet Leigh get it in the shower (in Psycho) ....and that was because it's something that could really happen.

Lol, I can watch horror movies alone at night but when it come to games, I get freaked out lol I can't even play Witcher 3 at night when it's dark in game hahaha

I'm the same, but not with The Sims though.

I think I am healed from being scared of Sims, that was 5 years ago... then again the tombs have creepy music and NOPE! *RUNS AWAY*

Haha. I'm pretty much hard to get scared, but very annoying about it, I keep being sarcastic during the whole moment. xd

xD i can relate iam exactley the same
    anyway so this music no longer work for you guys
    https://youtu.be/QH6cpPk8c2Q
    this used to scare the plum of me when i was a kid :P

I need this back in TS4!!! It would make the game feels so much different to me, in the good way!

All of the scary music that played when something bad happened scared me so much when I was a kid!
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member

Pointing is rude... and hilarious. I think every single episode of The IT Crowd has someone pointing a finger at someone else, and usually to great comic effect.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't care for whims either. I mean not only are they useless, but there is no balance with them either. Aspirations too. I much preferred having and want and fear system and aspiration failure system. At least there were consequences for what my Sims did instead of here good job, get some points for doing mindless quests. It's such a win only mentality. I need that depth when Sims don't do things right and mess up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    edited July 2016
    I miss that feeling over not wanting to leave my sims unpaused while being away from my computer in fear of some random or unidentified tragedy happening. Will never forget TS2 when one of my sims died random (and I never found out why...). Now I walk away and totally forget I left them on and come back and everything is hunky dory :tongue:
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    starcrunch wrote: »
    I like the Sims 4 a lot, but if there were something really broad that I could change it would be to allow life to take on a darker tone. It's not completely without darkness - the wishing well item in romantic garden is a nasty piece of work for my sims and has killed more sims than it's helped out. Happiness indeed. But I'd love to have more conflict and more negative consequences and for life to get harder for some sims - clubs let me set up some of this, but I really want more negative interactions and more subtle ways to hurt other sims feelings and to plot against them.

Like I've said, one of my biggest problems with Sims 4 is that my sims want to be frienda with their enemies. Sims 2 and I think Sims 3 sims wanted to see the ghost of a sim they hated, basically hoping they die, sims 4 they want to hug the sim or become their friend.

I don't think anyone ever stays mad in this game. At the home of one of my Sim couples I have one of the GT closets set up to look like a pool cabana. Every chance he gets the guy calls Dina...of the famous Caliente family over to his house. Of course you know where they end up at, out by the pool in the cabana. The wife come out, watches as the steam seeps out of the door, watches them come outside and then gets the very angry mood but two minutes later she goes up to him to get flirty.

It's weird but I made my sim have a kid with one of the flirty, friend-of-the-world guys in the game, but he was kinda flirting with everyone because of the combination of those traits (+ outgoing, I think), even when I wasn't controlling him. They were in the same club together with another girl who he was flirting with the minute he moved into his house (welcome wagon) & before he met my other sim he had the kid with. When they were at a gathering, he'd flirt with the second girl and she was super angry & sad about this. In fact, when I switched controls to this other sim and sent her to the spa a while later, the sim he had the kid with was mean to her, shouted at her, and some of the bystanders refused to speak to her in a friendly way as well. And although after marrying someone else etc., she still hates the father of her first kid. But then that's why I love this particular sim more than any of the others. She's the only one that's ever produced reliable, consistent emotional reactions to others so far in the game. Btw, the girl he cheated on her with isn't liked by most of the other sims. So there does seem to be the potential for setting these things up, but I agree that it doesn't happen as much and as darkly as it used to .. Anyway, so much for my story ;)
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I also agree with the whims being egh. I barely ever even look at the whims, because they are really irrelivant and actually annoying, because if I cancel the whims to make space for something I actually want to do, the exact same whims appear in a cycle of four whims. And they pop up a split second after you cancel them, never disappearing unless you sleep. In TS3, the whims were relevant to the sims' personality and story, and you could pin 4 whims out of a selection. I miss that. All my sims just wish to buy a 1×1 pool and fertilize bushes. It's annoying.
    The whim system should really be rebuilt, and the rewards store can really use some more interesting rewards.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    And also.... my sim was sad the other day, but in between the sniffles, she got these big goofy smiles. Like...???
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I've had 2 sims die of electrocution in TS4.

The first one was an accident when I fixed 2 electric items in a row, getting shocked on the first. She was a new single sim and died because nobody was there to plead for her. This allowed me to learn how it worked but I only had a couple of opportunities to use it since.

The second one was my sim Bryce Beston. I made him "get the house ready" by batch repairing the dishwasher and the stereo when his wife was in the 3rd trimester (repairs are normally her job). Being lower level, he got shocked on the dishwasher, and again on the stereo.

9874f6a451.png
    bb825608e4.png
    7403bc8129.png

His wife wailed at death (sad option), but didn't have a death flower. I let Grim decide his fate.

709b33cc31.png
    f76aa0de02.png

Grim was merciful. I don't know whether he took the pregnancy into account, or whether it was the wailing alone, whether pleading the first time always works?

c97fe7561d.png

So you can force things to happen, but a lot of things need low skill combined with several attempts. It should only take one try to get electrocuted, and should be a risk at any level (though obviously higher at low level). Even master electricians can get shocked if they are distracted in some way, by talking for example.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »
    This made me think of something that happened to me in TS2 recently. My Sim invited her boyfriend over and he brought a female friend with him. My Sim and the boyfriend went off to woohoo and when they were done the 'friend' walked in and flipped out...apparently he was also HER boyfriend. For the next week she would walk by my Sim's house and do things like steal the newspaper and kick over the trash can. It's great attention to detail and I really enjoyed it.

Compare to TS4. I was trying the public enemy aspiration and part of it is to get so many Sims to hate you. So I insulted, I jeered, I got into fistfights. My relationship bar with them was fully red. But still these Sims would come by the house, call me to go to parties, and chat politely with me. No one stays mad in the game and it's really ridiculous.
    Scobre wrote: »
    I don't care for whims either. I mean not only are they useless, but there is no balance with them either. Aspirations too. I much preferred having and want and fear system and aspiration failure system. At least there were consequences for what my Sims did instead of here good job, get some points for doing mindless quests. It's such a win only mentality. I need that depth when Sims don't do things right and mess up.

Both of these really bother me in this game.
    It feel like you are forced to make interesting things happen, but they are only temporary and don't really matter in the long run.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    If there are no risks then you don't feel any sense accomplishment when you avoid those things or when your sims live on are happy despite their troubles. I'd take more darkness over sunshine all the time tbh. I can relate to my sims more - only 'happy' fast becomes almost psychedelic and creepy imo. Bring on the challenge, the darkness, the sorrow and pain! There is no way I can love my sims as much as I can if there is no risks.

But we have those people who grew up in the "get a trophy just for showing up" generation.

@PHOEBESMOM601 Just out of curiosity, what generation age you are talking about?

I think the current Generation, I've seen it ith my younger sister too even though it isn't as bad as in places like USA, it's everyone gets a trophy for arriving. When I was a kid I just had to deal with loosing and later on you either try harder to win or don't care about loosing. Even more games try to hold you hand and make sure nobody really looses, older games would have you die and either start over the whole game or the level.

Ark Survival is harsh with win lose... the forums blew up when it first came out and maybe still does (had to stop playing due to needing to upgrade 2 computers and buying house in a few months trumps computers).

You were able to get your own server and tweek the game settings greatly and many did and have. Because the game can be brutal in everyway.

I'm not the gamer that likes to be told (hand holding) what to do every second of a game. EOS is another game that gives me freedom.. Fallout 4 has freedom...

I'm an old gamer that likes freedom and to lose at times makes the game ... well a game..

I love the good and bad, the unexpected. It gives a challenge.

With the hand holding and the easy.. it quite literally depresses me.
  • Options
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    If there are no risks then you don't feel any sense accomplishment when you avoid those things or when your sims live on are happy despite their troubles. I'd take more darkness over sunshine all the time tbh. I can relate to my sims more - only 'happy' fast becomes almost psychedelic and creepy imo. Bring on the challenge, the darkness, the sorrow and pain! There is no way I can love my sims as much as I can if there is no risks.

But we have those people who grew up in the "get a trophy just for showing up" generation.

@PHOEBESMOM601 Just out of curiosity, what generation age you are talking about?

I think the current Generation, I've seen it ith my younger sister too even though it isn't as bad as in places like USA, it's everyone gets a trophy for arriving. When I was a kid I just had to deal with loosing and later on you either try harder to win or don't care about loosing. Even more games try to hold you hand and make sure nobody really looses, older games would have you die and either start over the whole game or the level.

Ark Survival is harsh with win lose... the forums blew up when it first came out and maybe still does (had to stop playing due to needing to upgrade 2 computers and buying house in a few months trumps computers).

You were able to get your own server and tweek the game settings greatly and many did and have. Because the game can be brutal in everyway.

I'm not the gamer that likes to be told (hand holding) what to do every second of a game. EOS is another game that gives me freedom.. Fallout 4 has freedom...

I'm an old gamer that likes freedom and to lose at times makes the game ... well a game..

I love the good and bad, the unexpected. It gives a challenge.

With the hand holding and the easy.. it quite literally depresses me.

It does, it makes it boring for me. I like sometimes getting lost and trying to figure out what to do next. Show me the controls then let me be.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Yeah, it's simply too light. You can't really have much drama when they all love each other all the time. The older games were better, at least from my perspective.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I liked how creepy, mysterious and full of weird (but realistic) stuff previous games were. It was always surprising and gave me some sort of adrenaline kick whenever something unexpected happened of was about to.

The sims 4 is too simple, happy, peaceful and predictable. Especially the last one: predictable! Worst version in the series.
    The others were very realistic and dragged me right into their stories.
  • Options
    Aotearoa14Aotearoa14 Posts: 155 Member
    I try to set up consequences for my Sims 4 characters but nothing works. They get randomly tense and angry for a moment and then immediately become happy and pleased to see whoever upset them. No arguments, no proper sickness, no random sackings from work, never had a fire, tried to have a death and got bored and gave up. The whole thing is riddled with juvenile moments that suggest a great idea might be lurking but it's never delivered. I liked the darkness in Sims 2, except that I would just call it life. When I first played Sims 2 I kept thinking, I'm too old for this nonsense, but I really loved it. It sucked me in with its subtle humour. Sims 4? Too loud, too bright, too juvenile.
  • Options
    Aotearoa14Aotearoa14 Posts: 155 Member
    Plum me in? What I said was perfectly decent!!
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I'm all for a dark side. Bring it on, I say.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2016
    Afterthought:

I do have to give a nod to the wishing well.
    IF you are not familiar with The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion's Shimmering Isle DLC, I swear someone on the Romantic Garden stuff team is familiar with it.

That face on the wishing well reminds me of Sheogorath from The Elderscrolls Oblivion Shivering Isles for some reason.
    TS4_630_SP06_LIFTS_06_002b.jpg

:p He was so crazy and evil.
    https://youtu.be/B3MlMv1oqos
    You don't want your wishes granted by this man.
    Lucky for us the wishing well isn't as bad. Our sims would have some really horrific days if it was, but there is some darkness there.
    As a rule, the sims with the lowest Satisfaction points has to go first.
    That would be Cade.
    03-07-16_8-27-52nbspAM.png

It didn't care much for the offering.
    Oh well... she must make a wish anyway.
    03-07-16_8-28-05nbspAM.png

Oh that can't possibly be good.
    03-07-16_8-28-41nbspAM.png

Oh no, it's sucking skill points away from her.
    My brainy girl is brainy no more.
    03-07-16_8-29-02nbspAM.png

Cade is mortified!
    03-07-16_8-29-29nbspAM.png

???
    03-07-16_8-29-57nbspAM.png

"Guys? Did Cade just die?"
    03-07-16_8-30-34nbspAM.png

OMG!!!
    03-07-16_8-31-13nbspAM.png

I can't believe it. Cade is dead.
    Starting now, we are officially That Deadly Reality Show.
    03-07-16_8-31-35nbspAM.png

Awww.
    I didn't think she would be the first.
    03-07-16_8-32-19nbspAM.png

I'm going to miss her getting all squeamish over icky things.
    03-07-16_8-38-08nbspAM.png

I wasn't fast enough with the camera to catch some of Grim's best animations.
    03-07-16_8-38-20nbspAM.png

Oh now the well is happy.
    You are evil! A very evil wishing well.
    03-07-16_8-39-41nbspAM.png

Daniel takes advantage of the situation.
    03-07-16_8-39-58nbspAM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

*points at @06Bon06*
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1