Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Are You Angry?

Do you ever wonder why an NPC has certain emotions?

I always see Sims walking around angry, sad, and tense. Do all these Sims have the insane trait?

The only way to find out is to switch to the family and play them.

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    They make me laugh to see them stomping around the neighbourhood. But why would they be insane? Lol.

'Normal' sims get angry too.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I just assume they've got the same kinds of issues as my Sims do - which is often the "bad day at work/school" thing. I do like seeing the different emotions, readable from a bit of a distance.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    One thing I did wonder during the brief period where I was in the Detective career is why all of the sims walking around during the patrol are so angry. It put me off continuing with the career because their poor mood was damaging relationships with the working sim in question and the relationships of those around them. I don't want to have to deal with a town that hates everybody.

I'm thinking this is done on purpose so they'll start fights so you can give them citations, but for everyone to be angry? It seems a bit excessive. I'm hoping it was a bug.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I really like that they get angry or sad, some get really happy with the bouncy walk they do. There's a guy walking sad all the time when he's around and I imagine him fighting with his lover a lot. Bob often walks around angry and I understand since I dislike his wife aswell hehe, I really like these emotions coming by.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sometimes I use the emotions as reacting to my played sims like this guy when my sims were making out at the lounge. :D

kZjEFwn.png
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I wish there was an interaction to ask them about that !
  • Options
    0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I tell ya what though, when I see Nancy Landgraab storming around, my Sims are outta there.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Do you ever wonder why an NPC has certain emotions?

I always see Sims walking around angry, sad, and tense. Do all these Sims have the insane trait?

The only way to find out is to switch to the family and play them.

I'm wondering why they suddenly attack my sim for no reason. My Simself was with his lady and a teen homeless townie female attacked him.

He won of course but I had his lover give the girl a tongue lashing and throw drink in her face.
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    They make me laugh to see them stomping around the neighbourhood. But why would they be insane? Lol.

'Normal' sims get angry too.

It just seems like they have moid swings. Monday moring they pass by your house angry then Monday evening when they pass by again, they are sad. No matter what game I play, Mortimer always walks by my house angry. Maybe it's because his wife is flirty.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    i wish we could know somehow or ask why they are in the mood their in. I've also noticed sometimes sims walk by dressed up in party or formal clothes and I wonder where are you going?
  • Options
    Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    It's part of the whole fake world thing, weirdly enough it doesn't add any immersion, at least for me. It seems too staged
  • Options
    It's part of the whole fake world thing, weirdly enough it doesn't add any immersion, at least for me. It seems too staged

I actually like it. I find it funny when I see Sims walking by in their various moods. Sims walking by happy all the time like it was in past games would break the immersion for me.
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    I assume the Sims walking around angry had a bad day at work or some Sim drove him or her up the wall. Tense Sims come from traits known to cause a tense moodlet (don't even mention jealous, these Sims are tense all the time) or they need a break from work. Sad Sims may have a bad day at work, their loved one may have cheated on them, or those good Sims dealt with evil Sims.

We can't just deal with Sims being happy all the time. Got to deal with different emotions.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Sometimes I use the emotions as reacting to my played sims like this guy when my sims were making out at the lounge. :D

kZjEFwn.png

Ah that sim is so cute, is he on the gallery?

@SimGuruDaniel once said this was a great idea. I think someone did a thread about this once
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    On the other hand, I wish when we asked about their days they would react and answer with real things not a standard answer.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited February 2016

Exactly. They have no life outside of the loaded lot and area where your currently played sim is. There is no story progression. Their emotions are randomly set when the game decides what npc sims to load. It's all shallow and fake. No immersion. Their emotions have no context; it's all for show to create an illusion.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @GaiaPuma That guy watching my two is actually one of @Simslover163 's sims, Mason. :D
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I'm thinking it may have something to do with GTW. When an officer goes on patrol, one of their duties is to issue citations. Either for fighting, which generally is proceeded by an angry Sim, or littering. I've yet to catch a Sim littering.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I love the various moods I see my townies in. It's more realistic than it would be if everyone I saw was constantly in a good mood.
    I do wonder why, so I imagine what may be happening in their Sim-lives at the moment that would be making them either upset or extremely cheerful. It adds more fun to the game for me.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    If I couldn't figure out why, I sometimes gave them a reason.

Witch's curse, being set on fire, flask of bees, meteor landing on their family...
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I wish they'd bring back memories. You could go play a certain sim and see what happened recently to cause that mood.
  • Options
    AntoninaAntonina Posts: 77 Member
    I find it really funny when you see a Sim stomping around angrily >:) The only time I'm not a fan of these varying emotions on NPCs is when my Sim is trying to get something out of them but their emotion gets in the way of that.
    chloe_zpsmil76epk.gif
    "I knew nothing but shadows and I thought them to be real." - Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    It would be amazing if our sims could ask them why they are so tense/angry/sad! :#
  • Options
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I wish they'd bring back memories. You could go play a certain sim and see what happened recently to cause that mood.

There are memories in the game. You can assign a memory to pictures you have taken in the game. Memories can be used to put Sims in certain moods.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »

There are memories in the game. You can assign a memory to pictures you have taken in the game. Memories can be used to put Sims in certain moods.

True, but those memories are determined by screenshots taken by the player. Sims 2 had the best memory manager IMO. Major life moments were automatically recordered and saved without the players involvement. You could go back through premade sims memories and see what they have done with their life so far, something that neither The Sims 3 or 4 have done.

Now that they've removed the ability to set the emotion, the current "memory" system is useless. My sim just witnessed their spouses death? Let's make this a confident memory.