Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A very intersting point...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    Definitely not, mostly because I have little faith in them actually understanding the term "placeholder" (otherwise I'd be fine with it). Although I must say, absolutely no cars/carpool is something that really breaks every bit of immersion when traveling. TS2 had full animations and even interactions within cars, TS3 decided to butcher animations and just pop out cars from sims' pockets, and now nothing at all. Sims walking outside and disappearing, or simply grabbing their phone and disappearing on the spot is just so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 awful. If I'm to have loading screens for every single lot, at least give me something more gameplay-pleasing than poofing on the spot.

I disagree as far as the animations for TS3 cars being "butchered". At least for me, no immersion is lost. As far as cars popping out of the pocket, you could easily place a parking spot and the sims will automatically park their cars in it.

I should have worded it better. Not "butchered", but "non-existent". The car magically appeared, and sims teleported inside. Compared to TS2, they were a complete failure. If you had a parking spot, they wouldn't park it there. The car would teleport to it or out of it, and sims out of it or inside. Putting immersion aside, compared to how cars were in TS2, they were sub-par by miles.
    It may have escaped your attention, but cars in Sims 2 had a completely different function than in Sims 3. In Sims 2 they were merely decoration (and to answer the OP, yes, I think they should have repeated that decoration in Sims 4 because it's quite important decoration for immersion imo, especially with loading screens). In Sims 3 cars (and bikes and broomsticks) have a different purpose: they are there to help your sim travelling through an open world. There is an animated car in Sims 3, but as soon as it hits the road, the animations are over.
    They didn't butcher it, they had to create a different kind of car because they developed the game with that open world. I must say, in real life I have a car and except for the teleporting part, most of the time I do with that car what my sims in 3 are doing. Not what my sims in 2 are doing. And the putting the car in their pocket is open world related as well. I'm glad they do that.
    And what does it matter, sims put huge, unrealistic things in their 'pockets' (inventory)? That's no different in Sims 2 or 4 (or any other game for that matter). It's not like they risk a severe case of hernia due to what they carry with them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Definitely not, mostly because I have little faith in them actually understanding the term "placeholder" (otherwise I'd be fine with it). Although I must say, absolutely no cars/carpool is something that really breaks every bit of immersion when traveling. TS2 had full animations and even interactions within cars, TS3 decided to butcher animations and just pop out cars from sims' pockets, and now nothing at all. Sims walking outside and disappearing, or simply grabbing their phone and disappearing on the spot is just so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 awful. If I'm to have loading screens for every single lot, at least give me something more gameplay-pleasing than poofing on the spot.

I disagree as far as the animations for TS3 cars being "butchered". At least for me, no immersion is lost. As far as cars popping out of the pocket, you could easily place a parking spot and the sims will automatically park their cars in it.

I should have worded it better. Not "butchered", but "non-existent". The car magically appeared, and sims teleported inside. Compared to TS2, they were a complete failure. If you had a parking spot, they wouldn't park it there. The car would teleport to it or out of it, and sims out of it or inside. Putting immersion aside, compared to how cars were in TS2, they were sub-par by miles.
    It may have escaped your attention, but cars in Sims 2 had a completely different function than in Sims 3. In Sims 2 they were merely decoration (and to answer the OP, yes, I think they should have repeated that decoration in Sims 4 because it's quite important decoration for immersion imo, especially with loading screens). In Sims 3 cars (and bikes and broomsticks) have a different purpose: they are there to help your sim travelling through an open world. There is an animated car in Sims 3, but as soon as it hits the road, the animations are over.
    They didn't butcher it, they had to create a different kind of car because they developed the game with that open world. I must say, in real life I have a car and except for the teleporting part, most of the time I do with that car what my sims in 3 are doing. Not what my sims in 2 are doing. And the putting the car in their pocket is open world related as well. I'm glad they do that.
    And what does it matter, sims put huge, unrealistic things in their 'pockets' (inventory)? That's no different in Sims 2 or 4 (or any other game for that matter). It's not like they risk a severe case of hernia due to what they carry with them.

100% disagreed. You don't call "merely decoration" something that has several gameplay options to it. They had no such thing as different functions, they were there as means to transport sims. Just from those two statements, I can tell there's no point in me going further into the argument because the very basic opinion of cars in those iterations between us is completely different. Nothing escaped my attention, I had plenty of time with each iteration. And the very post you quoted, I said I should have worded it better, replacing "butchered" with "non-existent".
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    Sims can't interact with FX. If they could, then they could easily use the tram or the steamboats. What the Gurus had to say about transportation with FX decoration.
    http://simsvip.com/2014/06/30/the-sims-4-steamboats-trams-are-not-interactive/
    http://simsvip.com/2014/07/04/the-sims-4-simgurugraham-explains-development-cuts/

So FX are decorative flavor. Trevor's comment does make me wonder if they'll even bother with cars for this iteration anyways. I mean not like the game even has the basic transportation the Sims 1 had like carpools, taxis, and school buses. I think the Maxis team thinks with how the neighborhoods are set up, no form of transportation is really needed.

I wouldn't mind having Sims 2 style cars back, but I don't want short cuts taken again of Sims poofing out of the driveway like they did with the Sims 3. I want to see Sims actually do all the actions involved with a car.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    I don't want more FX plum.

Yeah, this. You know, fake trolleys and boats and trains and sea monsters- meh. I haven't even bothered to go look for that sea monster thing- why would I, so I can get the same shocked reaction I could get just from seeing someone on the toilet, if even that? I don't really care about stuff that you can't interact with and I see ZERO point in cars in the Sims 4 but I saw ZERO point of cars in 2 either. Okay, you could woohoo in it or whatever- so, I got a bush for that now and a closet and a hot tub and a sauna and a tent... With EVERYTHING missing from the Sims 4 I'd put cars (fake or otherwise) pretty much at the bottom of the list of what they should be working on.
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. I do miss how they actually parked the cars themselves and you could see them getting in and out. I know a lot of people miss that. But for me personally it's not a huge deal :)
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I want bikes more than cars... cars are somehow useless in Sims 4, but I think bikes, skateboards and such could be used around the open neighbourhood
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2016

I agree with you, even though I did not like how the sims got in their car it did not affect my immersion because you could drive with them if you wish and the car does not disappear off the edge of the screen. However in Sims 4, EA/Maxis is going to have to alter some of the parameters of the game to allow cars when sims wish to use them to show up. I rather the car disappear at the edge than while driving you encounter multiple loading screens unless they are able to disengage the loading screens somehow. It is the little things that add to the game as well as the big issues.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited February 2016

100% disagreed. You don't call "merely decoration" something that has several gameplay options to it. They had no such thing as different functions, they were there as means to transport sims. Just from those two statements, I can tell there's no point in me going further into the argument because the very basic opinion of cars in those iterations between us is completely different. Nothing escaped my attention, I had plenty of time with each iteration. And the very post you quoted, I said I should have worded it better, replacing "butchered" with "non-existent".
    No, cars in Sims 2 weren't meant for transportation, they're only there to give the player the illusion there was transportation. Which works for me by the way; I prefer open world above all, but loading screens with at least the illusion they drive - or walk - off comes second. The way sims teleport from their houses in 4 is a huge immersion breaker for me.

Sims 2 cars had animations regular Sims 3 cars didn't have (only the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car that came with Roaring Heights did), but Sims 3 cars drive through a world. Which is the very cause they had to sacrifice those particular animations (proven to me by the fact the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car only has those animations as long as you don't start driving it). In terms of programming the Sims 2 car and the Sims 3 car are two completely different items. Your post (and I really don't care whether you call it 'butchered' or 'non-existent', butchered fitted better in my sentence but you can replace it by 'removed' if you wish) implies there's a sliding scale going on in the franchise concerning cars. That conclusion however ignores the fact a car in 2 is incomparable to a car in 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Imagining? I'm so sick of "imagining" with this game. I want real cars. :(
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    They could have cars for a Stuff Pack maybe?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Imagining? I'm so sick of "imagining" with this game. I want real cars. :(
    And toddlers and CASt. Yeah, some things go beyond imagining.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

No, cars in Sims 2 weren't meant for transportation, they're only there to give the player the illusion there was transportation. Which works for me by the way; I prefer open world above all, but loading screens with at least the illusion they drive - or walk - off comes second. The way sims teleport from their houses in 4 is a huge immersion breaker for me.

Sims 2 cars had animations regular Sims 3 cars didn't have (only the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car that came with Roaring Heights did), but Sims 3 cars drive through a world. Which is the very cause they had to sacrifice those particular animations (proven to me by the fact the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car only has those animations as long as you don't start driving it). In terms of programming the Sims 2 car and the Sims 3 car are two completely different items. Your post (and I really don't care whether you call it 'butchered' or 'non-existent', butchered fitted better in my sentence but you can replace it by 'removed' if you wish) implies there's a sliding scale going on in the franchise concerning cars. That conclusion however ignores the fact a car in 2 is incomparable to a car in 3.
    Again, no. They were meant for transportation. Whether you could follow them through the world or get a loading screen, they were means of transportation. I also despise the way they teleport in TS4 and the fact that they scrapped open worlds.

It doesn't matter if you call it a "sacrifice", having no animations at all was a step down, a trade-off as opposed to making a full feature. It was half baked, plain and simple. And that's why I said there was no point in keeping it going because your idea of cars in this franchise is completely different than mine. A car in TS2 is not incomparable to a car in TS3, calling that a "fact" is absurd, that's YOUR opinion. They were set in different environments, but they were, in the end for all purposes, cars. Plain and simple. If you want to think otherwise, feel free to do so. But if you wanna throw the word "fact" around, then I hope you are prepared to back up your statement with full programming facts as to how cars behaved in both iterations, starting with the definition of "decoration item".
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Car in Sims 2:

0003_zpsdb5b96fc.jpg

Car in Sims 3:

Silas_477a_zps195c23fc.png

Saul_012_zpsaee3cf35.png

Car in Sims 4:

338877092_640.jpg

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Car in Sims 2:

0003_zpsdb5b96fc.jpg

Car in Sims 3:

Saul_012_zpsaee3cf35.png

Car in Sims 4:

338877092_640.jpg
    I had to ROFL at the last picture. I liked being able to fix up cars in the Sims 2 Freeplay. I don't think cars in the Sims 2 and 3 are comparable other than how Sims get in and out of them and drive out in them. They both served different purposes although it was having them feel like actual transportation in the Sims 3 was really nice. Bikes and motorcycles in the Sims 3 were amazing.

I liked the limo and the Ford cars.
    061.jpg
    car12.jpg
    the-sims-2-ford-fusion-free-download.jpg

The helicopter was cool too.
    hqdefault.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Car in Sims 2:

0003_zpsdb5b96fc.jpg

Car in Sims 3:

Saul_012_zpsaee3cf35.png

Car in Sims 4:

338877092_640.jpg
    I had to ROFL at the last picture. I liked being able to fix up cars in the Sims 2 Freeplay. I don't think cars in the Sims 2 and 3 are comparable other than how Sims get in and out of them and drive out in them. They both served different purposes although it was having them feel like actual transportation in the Sims 3 was really nice. Bikes and motorcycles in the Sims 3 were amazing.

I liked the limo and the Ford cars.
    061.jpg
    car12.jpg
    the-sims-2-ford-fusion-free-download.jpg

The helicopter was cool too.
    hqdefault.jpg
    Yes, that's what I meant, thanks ;) Sims 2 had a helicopter!? :o
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah. It was cool. It came as a carpool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1s6TqOitSA&ab_channel=KittyPiPi

Apartment Life I think allowed you to have your own.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Hgv7j3eVo&ab_channel=TheSims2RandomVideos
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    I would love to have cars/vans/suv's in this game but don't trust the programmers with all the animations and related actions that are needed. And we had great creators for all vehicles in the past with simmers like Fresh Prince and several others. But I first would like to see so much of the mess that is currently in this sims 4 game fixed.

1. Musical Chairs
    2. Endless Walking to interact w/another Sim
    3. Complete animations: Bartending, Cleaning up Dishes/Glasses & More
    4. Fix the bugs & glitches that have been listed ad nauseum here in the forums
    5. Patches that don't break more elements of the game

I can always dream, right?
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    Car in Sims 2:

0003_zpsdb5b96fc.jpg

Car in Sims 3:

Saul_012_zpsaee3cf35.png

Car in Sims 4:

338877092_640.jpg
    LMAO :D

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    I know other simmers want cars back, I just don't. Without open world I don't see any point to them. There will be loading screens anyway, so they're basically just decorative.

I don't think it would be worth the time spent making it happen just to look like a car came and got my sim.

Agree. I'd rather they spent the time and resources on something that really impacts the game.

Well, for some people it has an impact on the game. Building houses with garages and so on.
    I don't know, but in Sims 2 they also did not have ''the impact'' you are talking about on the game, and they were still there.

No excuses for them to just leave them out just because of loadingscreens..

We will have to wait and see. Just don't expect anything.
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I know other simmers want cars back, I just don't. Without open world I don't see any point to them. There will be loading screens anyway, so they're basically just decorative.

I don't think it would be worth the time spent making it happen just to look like a car came and got my sim.

Agree. I'd rather they spent the time and resources on something that really impacts the game.

Well, for some people it has an impact on the game. Building houses with garages and so on.
    I don't know, but in Sims 2 they also did not have ''the impact'' you are talking about on the game, and they were still there.

No excuses for them to just leave them out just because of loadingscreens..

We will have to wait and see. Just don't expect anything.
    IMHO, EA/Maxis does not want to add anything even if it helps Sims 4 if it is going to bring down performance and that is sad I just can't hype a game that just plays it safe.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1s6TqOitSA&ab_channel=KittyPiPi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Hgv7j3eVo&ab_channel=TheSims2RandomVideos
    Lol, that's so cool :D They shouldn't have dropped that idea. They could have made it work like the spaceship.

@rudy8292 Yes, for me this has an impact. I mind loading screens less in Sims 2 than in 4 and apart from fitting backdrops , I think this detail also has something to do with it. The helicopter example in combination with my Sims 2 picture is a nice example. My sim was just starting his career there and the car is old and cheap. If I understand correctly the helicopter came with level 10 in show business, comparable to the limo in Sims 3. That kind of detail also tells the tale of your sims and where they stand in life.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

Lol, that's so cool :D They shouldn't have dropped that idea. They could have made it work like the spaceship.

@rudy8292 Yes, for me this has an impact. I mind loading screens less in Sims 2 than in 4 and apart from fitting backdrops , I think this detail also has something to do with it. The helicopter example in combination with my Sims 2 picture is a nice example. My sim was just starting his career there and the car is old and cheap. If I understand correctly the helicopter came with level 10 in show business, comparable to the limo in Sims 3. That kind of detail also tells the tale of your sims and where they stand in life.

So true. I even miss the 'gossip' notifications about how filthy rich your sim is. All these details equalled a much richer gaming experience.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    OMG! those things as the helicopter, bathing babies in the sink, having an empty fridge if I don´t buy supplies and so many others from TS2 are what I was dreamming to see comeback merged with TS3 open and fully customizable world... and where have all my dreams gone? to the boring and halfbaked TS4...
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!