Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A very intersting point...

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
edited January 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So a few of us in a group chat were discussing cars in Sims 4, and someone also said that it doesn't make sense to why Sims just disappear out the front right.

Because if you think about it, until they program drivable cars Sims 2 style where you get in the car etc.

How hard would it have been to have an FX car stop when a Sim disappears and then drive again, to give the illusion they were at least getting in the car Sims 3 style. Would have been better than nothing and at least not felt so basic.

Would you have preferred this while we waited for proper cars?

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    If they made it so, we probably would not even get proper cars they would stick with cheap vfx crap. At least this way they have the opportunity to make something good, because if they don't I want explanations as a costumer. :angry:
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited January 2016
    Only if it's optional. I like that I can imagine my Sim kept walking, or walked to a transit stop just as easily as I can imagine they hopped into a car on the side of the road.
    Post edited by luthienrising on
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Some neighborhoods don't even have FX roads next to lots (e.g. the island and the townsquare in Windenburg). If they ever make TS2 style cars I fully expect it to only work with certain neighborhoods.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    I know other simmers want cars back, I just don't. Without open world I don't see any point to them. There will be loading screens anyway, so they're basically just decorative.

I don't think it would be worth the time spent making it happen just to look like a car came and got my sim.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    HopeinenHopeinen Posts: 316 Member
    I know other simmers want cars back, I just don't. Without open world I don't see any point to them. There will be loading screens anyway, so they're basically just decorative.

I don't think it would be worth the time spent making it happen just to look like a car came and got my sim.

This.

Its pretty clear that they never intended us to have cars or the superficial ability to travel with one so starting to work on them now would be just waste of time.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,033 Member

Agree. I'd rather they spent the time and resources on something that really impacts the game.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Definitely not, mostly because I have little faith in them actually understanding the term "placeholder" (otherwise I'd be fine with it). Although I must say, absolutely no cars/carpool is something that really breaks every bit of immersion when traveling. TS2 had full animations and even interactions within cars, TS3 decided to butcher animations and just pop out cars from sims' pockets, and now nothing at all. Sims walking outside and disappearing, or simply grabbing their phone and disappearing on the spot is just so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 awful. If I'm to have loading screens for every single lot, at least give me something more gameplay-pleasing than poofing on the spot.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Hopeinen wrote: »

This.

Its pretty clear that they never intended us to have cars or the superficial ability to travel with one so starting to work on them now would be just waste of time.

This.

• Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Some neighborhoods don't even have FX roads next to lots (e.g. the island and the townsquare in Windenburg). If they ever make TS2 style cars I fully expect it to only work with certain neighborhoods.

This and Theres some lots in willow creek (and maybe newcrest too) where Theres this lil fence thing blocking the way to the road.

Cars are gonna be so limited. I kinda don't want them because of this.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    To be honest I don't think the Sims 4 will ever have functioning cars.
    What would be the point anyway?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Eh, maybe it's cause I haven't played past titles, but the disappearing in front of the house thing doesn't bother me. If we were going to have a car VFX thing at all, I think it should be something that only happens IF you own a car already and the sim should go to where your car is parked and disappear with the car or something.

I guess for me, it just doesn't matter a whole lot.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016

The point is to make the game more detailed, more emmersive and more realistic, that is the point. Plus car woohoo who doesn't want that?! Also kissing and making out in the car were options in TS2 it was more than a "decoration" darling.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The point is to make the game more detailed, more emmersive and more realistic, that is the point. Plus car woohoo who doesn't want that?! Also kissing and making out in the car were options in TS2 it was more than a "decoration" darling.

This, exactly this. There's a gigantic list anyone can pull out stating many things that wouldn't make sense or would be a waste or wouldn't work or be worth the effort. I for one am not one to forsake details and immersion additions, specially those that have been here since 2000. And it's not even such a task to at least add in a game pack or EP. I understand TS3 cars left a bitter taste for many, myself included, but TS2 cars is something I'd hope to see expanded upon here.

I mean surely, I can't be the only one who enjoyed back in TS2 seeing my sims go in a garage, turn off the car alarm, get in and drive out from the garage and into the street. Or being on a date and pulling moves on a parked car. With at least the "hybrid" closed world, there's potential for more gameplay than vehicles had in TS2.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited January 2016
    Nvm

Tested what i said in my game and it didn't work anymore, i'm either crazy or they changed at some point how cars work in TS2. O_o
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    Arletta wrote: »

This.

this
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I would rather they just left it alone until they can give us cars. I don't mind the current set up in the meanwhile.

Now, once we have cars, I will feel a lot differently, and I do want them to be like they were in TS2 (but vastly improved). Because there is no open world, I do expect Maxis to fully flesh out this feature with a lot of interactions involving the interior and exterior of the vehicles.

Ex: (I want to be able to drink my coffee with desperation inside my car while blasting some Adelle... LOL). If I can do that in the bathtub, I should dang well be able to do it in my car as well! lol I'd crack up if my sim hid in the backseat of the car under the sunshade when he was embarrassed. Or if my children sim left a toy on the driveway and the car crunched it while backing out. ;) Little things like that, and big things too like woohoo etc.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,178 Member
    I for one would prefer them to sort out the spawn points themselves first then maybe cars . In Windenburg my child sim to get to school walks for over one sim hour each way to to get to and from a random gate the other side of town . also the way neighbourhoods are set up i often see my sims leave a lot and walk run or mooch out of a club and then go either miles to a spawn point or walk all the way to their home lot and then it kicks in and activates the lot change .
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    Nvm

Tested what i said in my game and it didn't work anymore, i'm either crazy or they changed at some point how cars work in TS2. O_o

Apparently i edit my post for nothing because i was right.
    Cars in TS2 uses mailbox as references for their spawning points and not the road like many believe.
    Found this post from MTS saying that:
    yes, it is possible to move the mailbox (move_objects on) inside of a building, but that affects your animations, vehicles stop next to the mailbox where ever it is. if you can live with that (i have no problems with it and love incorporating the mailboxes with my designs) there shouldn't be any more problems.

So yes cars are possible in TS4, even if the roads are fake. :)
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I would like cars back. For me it wouldn't be wasted time, if they actually do cars correctly, it will add to the immersion for me - even with the loading screens. Sims 2 has cars and loading screens. It also just doesn't makes sense not to even have a car pool or school bus come since they have been a staple in the series since Sims 1.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

If it's going to take away from one of the things I'd much rather have - me. If it's just going to be a thing that sits on my sims' lot and serves no other function but making out and woohoo-ing - still me.

Sorry, just my personal feels. :) No need to take it personal and use condescending terms of endearment.

Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    Definitely not, mostly because I have little faith in them actually understanding the term "placeholder" (otherwise I'd be fine with it). Although I must say, absolutely no cars/carpool is something that really breaks every bit of immersion when traveling. TS2 had full animations and even interactions within cars, TS3 decided to butcher animations and just pop out cars from sims' pockets, and now nothing at all. Sims walking outside and disappearing, or simply grabbing their phone and disappearing on the spot is just so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 awful. If I'm to have loading screens for every single lot, at least give me something more gameplay-pleasing than poofing on the spot.

I disagree as far as the animations for TS3 cars being "butchered". At least for me, no immersion is lost. As far as cars popping out of the pocket, you could easily place a parking spot and the sims will automatically park their cars in it.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    idk. I would much rather they spend time on other things that are missing. I really enjoyed cars in TS2 and in TS3 but for me they are not high up on my 'wants/needs' list. I also want cars done correctly/properly... however you want to say it. I don't want fx cars that just add to the background of the game. That's just a waste of money/time/resources at this point in the series.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I'd prefer they work on actual cars. I really miss being able to teach teens to drive, or saving up to buy a new car. Stuff like that is very immersive for me and totally worth it.

I however wouldn't mind the carpools being FX like the school buses etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    HollowVoid wrote: »

I disagree as far as the animations for TS3 cars being "butchered". At least for me, no immersion is lost. As far as cars popping out of the pocket, you could easily place a parking spot and the sims will automatically park their cars in it.

I should have worded it better. Not "butchered", but "non-existent". The car magically appeared, and sims teleported inside. Compared to TS2, they were a complete failure. If you had a parking spot, they wouldn't park it there. The car would teleport to it or out of it, and sims out of it or inside. Putting immersion aside, compared to how cars were in TS2, they were sub-par by miles.