Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Habits of a Simmer

Whenever I play a Sims game I always have the habit of remaking at least one of my Sims in most of my Households, I also have the habit of making Sims fall in love in one day and get married that same day(I'm trying to do it slowly but I fail most times xD). I also have the habit of making plain houses or ones that are identical to the houses I made before, and I almost always put the kitchen near the front of the first room. I also have the bad habit of feeling like I want to buy the most expensive stuff and every gameplay object available even though I enjoy playing as poorer Sims more :p Oh, and I almost forgot, I have the habit of downloading a bunch of Custom Content and Mods I almost never use x.x

So as a Simmer, what are your habits when playing the game or in real life?
Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.

Comments

• Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    In every save game, I like to make my own CAS Sims and put them around town in the empty houses. I often play them in rotation, but not always. I never play a very poor Sim or very rich Sim. Mine are middle-of-the-roaders. Almost all my Sims/households become avid gardeners. I like houses with roomy, open floor plans, and I love niches and alcoves. In all my 15 years of playing, I have never had two Sims meet, fall in love, and get married all in one day. I let their romances develop slowly once they have become great friends first. I have never had a Sim have a one-night-stand, where they never saw the other Sim ever again. I stick to having only one or two children (unless twins or abductions randomly happen). I have never completed a legacy (10 generations). I have a habit of taking too many screenshots during play. Dunno why, I'll probably never look at them all again. :p I don't like to kill Sims. In all my playing years I have probably killed only 3 Sims that I can recall--two in Sims 2, and one in Sims 3. It's too sad for me. :( I always play on long life-span, and I often turn aging off so I can enjoy my favorite Sims longer!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    In most of my saves in all these games I have particular characters for fifteen years. lol That's bad I guess. I create my own and kick out Maxis Sims take the Maxis houses for mine or most of the time save them for later to the bins, but bulldoze them and build my own or have downloaded other people's lots. However, I usually wind up getting rid of other people's lots, too. Nothing is suited to me. lol

I don't put the kitchens in the same place, but I do build lots/scenes from other games. Always have and always will. It's rare I play cookie cutter so in that vein of thought you can see why I don't really know how to build an actual home..but I build stuff like land fills, caves, or from descriptions from books of a home from a story etc. That's why my 'normal' lots I share get very few downloads in the past in any of these games, because they show I don't really understand 'normal' structure of someone's home. But I have a very big pet peeve with the roof in all the games. If a roof is added to a building it has to be structurally sound.

I'm silly like that. Because I imagine which way rain would run off that roof and if it looks like water would stand on the connecting roof, then I'm going to tear down Maxis' roof and redo it. Because water will just stand there and to me that's not sound architecture. I wonder sometimes if I am the only one that looks a Maxis roof and thinks that? I mean one connecting with the other and nowhere a gutter could go..so nope, that isn't structurally sound roof and would rot in a few years. lol so, yeah I rip them off and redo them to make sense for rain, but may not be as pretty as the one before.

_/\/\_..... <That roof there, would rot. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I make the roof of my build look like they are correct. I'm not too concerned about weather, but it must look correct. I hate that the mansard roofs don't overhang like the pitched roofs, so I rarely ever mix and match them.
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I have a 3ds and play Tomodachi Life, and call my sims miis and miis sims.

Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I didn't start Simming until August 2005, so I started with Sims2. I tend to create my own Sims and play them exclusively, unless I'm playing a Legacy Challenge which requires the Founder and later the subsequent heirs marry a Townie. I've played my favorite Cantrell family, (see my siggie) in 2, 3, & 4. However, I've also got another family (ancestors) that I have grown very attached to that I'm playing as well. I'd make him a Founder, but for the Legacy rules on his wife. (I positively refuse to substitute a Townie for my sixth great-grandmother! Bad enough she died at the tender age of 33, as it is.)

I've also been fond of recreating houses I have lived in, for Sims2. I have a particular floor plan I'm very fond of. To learn that house has since been torn down (thank you city of Los Angeles, [snarkiness intended]) is offensive to me since my grand uncle and his wife owned it. My eldest son took his very first steps in that living room! Oh, well.

I have continued to have this house in my game. It belongs now to my singer Sim, (who is now my Founder) from the same Cantrell family mentioned above. I tend to play large families. I'm given to the number five for children. Wishing they would increase the number of Sims per lot. My ancestors had ten children, later after his first wife passed away, he married a second time and had eight more! :open_mouth: Now, that would be a challenge. LOL I've had to content myself to their first six children, with the notion I'll move the older ones out to make room for the last four.

I try to have my Sims succeed at their careers, earn enough money to be comfortable, but in some cases, as with the Cantrell's who are very wealthy up front, I will use money cheats. I also am fond of using the characters from the original Star Trek in my game, especially Spock, which thanks to the 'only aliens can have pointy ears', this go-around, he looks far more human in Sims4 to my chagrin.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    My biggest habit is when I start a new game. I spend like...30 or so minutes deleting and replacing the maxis made townies with made over versions of them...then plopping down lots I have built for Newcrest, and renovated houses in the base game towns. I really should just make a save with all that done already and not save over it lol.

My other biggest habit is starting new saves and rarely going back to old ones.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    Sims3And4AreFabbSims3And4AreFabb Posts: 215 Member
    My habit is similar, When i move in sims i have to make them fall in love, and have a child + get married in the same week at most. So yeah my biggest habit is basically rushing into things to fast. I 'try' and do it slow but i just want to get on with it.
    k36kqq.jpg
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I tend to fill up houses with 8 different single sims or families. Usually NPCs look like trash to me so I like to make interesting people, and view them as my NPCs instead. I usually have 3-5 households full of random people I made. I love making sims.

I usually don't play sims to elders. If they get too old, by that time I've lost interest in them and started a new family already. My sims live forever *u*

I always take preset families and screw them up. Affairs, breaking up, multiple babies, etc. Especially the goth family. They're all dead now.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    My habit is making my sims too happy, though im trying break it n use traits i dont normally use. As i just learned from my recent story in sims 3, they are more interesting to watch.
    And i tend to spend more time on the storyline then i do the playing, once the story has ended i start a new family but thats because i dont get much play time, with work and kids so when I start up again i beginning the game again.
    I would these are habits i definitely need to break though
  • Options
    VehritasVehritas Posts: 146 Member
    I remake almost every public building, because I'm...specific. And far too often use the motherlode cheat.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I make the roof of my build look like they are correct. I'm not too concerned about weather, but it must look correct. I hate that the mansard roofs don't overhang like the pitched roofs, so I rarely ever mix and match them.

@Dannydanbo
    (Sorry, don't mean to derail)
    We don't yet have mansard roofs in Sims 4. (However, there are YouTube tutorials where you can "fake-form" the look of a mansard-type roof in Sims 4.) But do you mean hipped roofs? If so, yes you can extend the roof out so it overhangs. Just pull on the arrows. :)

Before:
    11-14-15_2-09-56nbspPM_zpsofcnn813.png

After:
    11-14-15_2-10-51nbspPM_zpsybmjsb78.png

You can get creative with shaping it:
    11-14-15_2-29-03nbspPM_zpsep6tstwy.png

And make nice combinations:
    11-14-15_3-22-34nbspPM_zpsfw2knmml.png
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Pamhamlet wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

@Dannydanbo
    (Sorry, don't mean to derail)
    We don't yet have mansard roofs in Sims 4. (However, there are YouTube tutorials where you can "fake-form" the look of a mansard-type roof in Sims 4.) But do you mean hipped roofs? If so, yes you can extend the roof out so it overhangs. Just pull on the arrows. :)

Before:
    11-14-15_2-09-56nbspPM_zpsofcnn813.png

After:
    11-14-15_2-10-51nbspPM_zpsybmjsb78.png

You can get creative with shaping it:
    11-14-15_2-29-03nbspPM_zpsep6tstwy.png

And make nice combinations:
    11-14-15_3-22-34nbspPM_zpsfw2knmml.png

Thanks for this xD I'm bad with Roofs and need all the advice I can find :3
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I tend to motherlode almost every family. I don't have time to play the grind thing because I play the game for fun. :)

I also tend to wipe out maxis pre-made sims and homes and make it all my own.

I tend to use a lot of the same traits for my sims. (we really do need more!)
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited November 2015
    Being a music lover in real life, all of my sims end up picking up an instrument eventually.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Mightydan wrote: »
    Being a music lover in real life, all of my sims end up picking up an instrument eventually.

It's either an instrument or an easel for my sims :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I motherlode to completely furnish my sim's home. No working up the ladder and waiting for me. My sims live comfortably while working on jobs and aspirations.
  • Options
    Beautiful avatar, @simgirl1010 So, so sad what happened.... :(
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I have to admit, I have a habit of using Motherlode at the beginning of my Builds with each new Household, I just find that the funds are not enough to make the Houses I want for that Household of Sims, I wish we could choose the starting amount we got.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Pamhamlet wrote: »
    Beautiful avatar, @simgirl1010 So, so sad what happened.... :(

Thanks. Yes it is very sad. :'(
  • Options
    JayytaughtyouJayytaughtyou Posts: 90 Member
    My bad habit is my sims never keep friends for long because I hate inviting them over.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Mine- I always start with 1 Sim. I like them to be self sufficient and to collect and to check out the town the first day.. I also seem to see how long I can keep them out and living for free. :lol:

I always start new worlds/neighborhoods with new stories in mind because I like doing something different at each start.... and I never go back even when I tell myself I'll finish something.
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    I always start with a single young Adult female, ALWAYS :neutral:
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    My habits: Starting with a young couple, working them like crazy till I give in in a few sim days and make them start a family...If I'm really in the family mode, I start my couple off as kids with families in different households, make them date as teens an marry. Plus, I usually play on full speed unless I'm telling them to do something specific. I queue up a bunch of stuff and let a rip!
  • Options
    stalesfostalesfo Posts: 70 Member
    I love to play legacies and throw in my own little challenges sometimes. I always have them start out poor.
    All New Saraste Tales Spirit Animal/Legacy Challenge!
    Saraste Tales Intro
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    No matter if I'm doing a challenge or just want to simply play, I always take forever in CAS creating/dressing my Sims and then it takes me many more hours to build & decorate their house & lot. For some odd reason, I always build the house shell first and then completely finish the landscaping before touching the inside. I absolutely LOVE building & decorating!

I almost always use my own builds for my Sims. To date, I've only used one lot from the community gallery for one of my Sims. Not because I don't like other Simmers lots, I do! Some of y'all make my jaw drop in admiration with your creations. It's only because I play 99.9% of the time offline due to my toaster of a computer and because my gameplay lags horribly with large, elaborate lots.

I have downloaded quite a few though that I hope to use one day! Consequently, most of my gameplay builds are on the smallish side, one story with or without a basement that morph into maybe two stories and a basement max overtime. I also have a completely vanilla game, no mods or cc. Again, I DO love both of those things, have a TON in my TS2 game. I just don't dare because of my old laptop.

For traits, I lean towards the more positive ones; Loves Outdoors, Art Lover, Good, Cheerful, Creative, Romantic, Music Lover, Genius, etc. I have not played any Mischeif, Mean, Snob, Slob, etc. traits yet. I will be trying them for the first time soon though as part of the Time Lord Challenge. Should be interesting... o.O

I always start out with a single YA Sim, and almost never, ever cheat to build their home unless it's allowed as part of a challenge. I love doing the 'Rags to Riches' type of gameplay with most of my Sims. It's just so satisfying watching/helping them earn their way through life from nothing to eventual prosperity! I tend to give most of them the Nature aspirations; painters, gardeners, anglers or curator type Sims too. Sometimes they're writers or Tech Gurus. Unless it's required they age for a challenge, I always play with aging and autonomy off as well.

Sidenote: In fact, I just had my first Sim death tonight. Second Artist, my Time Lady in the Time Lord Challenge, accidentally woo hooed her elder boyfriend to death. I tried to wake her up to plead for his life, but the game wouldn't let me. :( She's devastated (and so am I), but at least she'll eventually have his ghost to keep her company.

Very few of my Sims have jobs outside of the home. Although I do love the Scientist career. But to be fair, it's the only active one I've tried so far and it could just be because I love my alien Scientist Sim so much. :) I've noticed a lot of my Sims are redheads too. Perhaps because that haircolor runs in my real life (Mom, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) family?

I usually don't do anything with the Premade Sims/Families or their homes. I might have my Sim talk to them if they see them out and about, but that's it. One exception would be the 'blank template' save I created that has a clean slate in all the worlds/neighborhoods. I kicked out everybody from their homes and then bulldozed them and all the venues. I intended to use that to build my own completely custom (as much as allowed anyway) gameplay with all my own builds and Sims. I haven't gotten very far with it yet though. lol

When I played TS1 & TS2, I would start out with a single Sim and then have them meet someone, fall in love, marry and start a family, live out their lives until they were elders and their children had moved out. Then I'd play with the children... lather, rince repeat. lol But, I haven't played any families in TS4... yet! I do have high hopes for the future. ;)