Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you prefer? A more complex game or a simple one?

As the title says what do you prefer? The game to be more complex and dynamic? or have more straight forward simple approach to it?

Example One:when your sim gets sick:
- Straight forward: your sim ordering the medicine from the PC and drink it and he is fine.

- Complex approach: your sim has to go to the hospital get diagnosed, sent home then get a call the next day from the hospital after test results are ready. Pays doctor fees, sent to pharmacy to buy the medicine, Pharmacist instruct your sim the dosage he should take for the next few days ( 2 or 3 days). if the sim has taken the exact dosage at the number of times per day the pharmacist instructed he should get well, if the sim misses the dosage few times he might not get well and need to get back to hospital, if the sim takes more than the dosage he was instructed it could be fatal!

Example Two: Buy Mode Shopping
- Straight forward: the sim buys the objects from the buy mode at a fixed price and anytime. If he needs to add that stereo to his house he can do that any time from the buy mode at the same fixed price.

- Complex Mode: Buy mode is only accessible before starting to play the house. Once play button is pressed, buy mode is not accessible. All the buy mode shopping has to be done by sending your sim to a large mall. Prices are never fixed. Prices for the items will keep changing on a daily basis. If the stereo today is priced at 75 then it is a catch because tomorrow it might become 200! There should be sales seasons, black fridays from time to time that you get to know when the mail man brings the brochures and flyers at your doorstep! Keep in mind that like you others will be waiting for sales seasons or black fridays. Don't get your sim into a fight with another sim over a TV or something! :D

Example Three: Hair makeover
- Straight forward: go to the mirror or a dresser and change the hair style.

- Complex Mode: To change the color of the same style hair you can use the mirror but to change the style of the hair your sim should go to the beauty salon/barber to have the new hair cut. Its not free and your sim has to pay for it.

So which approach do you like more?

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Probably more a mix like I don't want buymode to be that complicated but other aspects like the treatment of sick Sims and the beauty parlor sound great. Often when games are too simple they get boring very quickly and you find yourself going through the same cycle over and over again but if a game is too complicated it takes away from the core values and something as simple as buying a chair can turn into a huge task so there has to a balance there. Sims 4 is a bit too much on the simpler side but I still enjoy it but luckily thanks to expansions it can add more to the game giving it more complicated options.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I'd like to have both honestly. Like say I want a more realistic feel so I send my sim to the hospital and actually go with them to get diagnosed but let's say there are 5 other sims in the household and I need to tend to their needs as fast as possible, that one sim that needs medicine can just order some medicine online and be better in an instant. I liked that in previous generations we had more options so that if you wanted to go the long route you could and if you needed/wanted a shortcut you could go for it,
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Complex and detailed like the Sims 2. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2015
    In a perfect world both options would have been provided. But since you want me to choose I'd prefer three times the simple (aka comfortable) solution.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Complex!
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    AnnabelleAnnabelle Posts: 248 Member
    I'd love for the game to be more complex, it's something I've put a lot of thought into lately and I would certainly be open minded to it. Particularly in relation to the illness side - I don't like the whole "go to the computer, buy medicine, it appears, drink it and wallah, you're on the mend." I want to actually send my Sim to the hospital and go through the testing process, as we do when we play the career as the Doctor ourselves. I want to be able to do more than just have a baby delivered there.

Again, with the shopping aspect. Yes, I can go to Magnolia Promenade to purchase things when I want my game to have a more realistic feel but with your Sim just waving their hand and "pocketing" the item, it does not feel that way. I'd be happy even if we had to have our Sims line up at the register and be rung up, or something along those lines.

The Salon/Barber idea sounds great too.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    In an ideal world, somewhere between the two.

In your examples, simple each time.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2015
    I rather complex because it has more substance to it however it should not be to difficult to comprehend
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    Holy plum, complex sounds like a chore, I can see it becoming tedious very easily. The game would benefit from adding more detail to activities, without going over the top.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited November 2015
    Combination. I find Sims 3 to be a good combination but Sims 4 to be too easy to me in most areas. In the area of earning money its not, but most other areas it is. Sims 2 is a little heavy on the complex side because of the needs.
    There are some features Sims 3 has, that I wish Sims 2 had & some features Sims 4 has I wish Sims 3 had. But over all I find Sims 3 to be more of a balance of complex, have to use your skill & wit to make it work & simple in some areas which you can appreciate as a player because of the complex areas. So it balances out. Think also that the games should never lose their ability for the players to create. We've lost a bit of what we were used to having in Sims 3. But that adds a piece to the game where the player can relax a bit & just enjoy the creative aspect of the game.

ETA: and to add just a bit please :-) I think the controls of all the games should always be in the same place because it is only confusing when they are in a different place for each game. Sims 2,3 had the controls at the bottom but Sims 4 has them at the top. It adds to the learning curve which is not really a problem except that most people play games to relax & having to learn a bunch of new things can be a tad bit frustrating. Especially when you want to get into the game & just play. It is a series so the overall design should be the same. The game features can change but not the method of controls. Also is it possible to make all the Sims games with the indicator that tells the player how long the task will take or when it will be finished ? The game employs the players skill of time control/management & its a useful tool.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I prefer it simple. I hated grocery shopping in TS2, whether if it was done by phone or visiting a shop. I didn't like shopping for clothes either.
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    A mix, not so simple and not so complicated
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options for both would be nice.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    For myself, I like the simpler options. I had a mod in TS2 so I could buy clothes from home because I hated to have to shopping to buy clothes :lol:

That being said, I wish there were options for people who would like more complex. Hopefully that will be added as the game continues to grow.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I lean toward complex. I loved shopping for clothing in Sims2. Not sure about how complex I'd want buy mode to be, since it would be very difficult to have a shop or shops with all the items in buy mode. If we do get to shop, I want to be able to actually be in the store with the Sim, not just a rabbit hole.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I suppose I'd prefer some complexity, but the key also being consequences.

So for example illnesses, I would have preferred a sliding scale as such. Rarer illnesses need a hospital visit like you explain, but as simplier approach such as rest or making a home remedy for more common ones. Purchasing medicine is a waste of time. However the key is consequences. Like in ts2 your sim could die if they didn't rest.

I think build mode has to be the way it is. Esp with the return of loading screens.

I'd like a beauty salon. It could be though you'd to the salon for colour and cuts. Eg you could change to any type of bobby hair if your hair was short. But to go long you have to visit the salon and get hair extensions!

I feel overall sims 4 is designed to be simple as a feature. However I feel it would benefit from some more complexity and depth, and it would allow options. Why not an easy or harder retail mode, for example.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I'd prefer a combination of simple and less simple. Nothing really complex because that's not why I play the Sims. I had the shop at home coat hook for the Sims 2 when I didn't want to send my sims shopping. In sims 3 I could never be bothered to send my sims to the salon but it was nice to know it was an option. As for the sickness example I could go for having to call the doctor first and then ordering the medication.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I think, based on the examples given, that I would prefer the simpler approach.
    Idea 1: it would have been nice if sick sims could get diagnosed at the hospital and given medication from the doctor. But the idea of taking the medication on a prescribed dosage at certain times would be a pain.

A lot of your suggestions are adding even more elements of RPG style of play and taking away sandbox style.

As to stores, I have my own to use if I want. I have my book store with every skill book for my sims to buy. I have a kids store that parents can go to to buy their kids furniture when they age up from babies. (if they want) And the kids can choose their own outfits from the mannequins (if they want) And their own toys. But it's not something I HAVE to do for each family. It's something I can do for fun when I want to.

I don't mind the hair salon idea, but again, I prefer choice. To be able to do it when I want and not HAVE to do it.

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I think that I would like to have both options in the game
    If I am tired one day but want to play then I could choose the easy way
    then again if I am really in the mood to play my game in all out non stop game play mood then I would like the complex one.
    so saying this it gives me the opportunity to choose how I would like to play on certain days.
    example, if your sim was invited out on a date, and it will start that day, I would like the easy mode to dress her up, instead of having to go to the store or have her hair done on such a quick notice.
    Having options is always better.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2015
    Somewhere in-between. I would prefer illness uncured result in death. But I think if we had a doctor in the game (our other Sim) we should be able to call them to come over and check our Sim and or go visit them and ask for medical advice for a cure. (TS3 allows players' doctor to treat townies at bars or anywhere when not on duty, saw it many times.)

I enjoyed using the salon chairs in TS2 and building 'beauty shops' and 'barber shops' but I don't want the ability to change Sims' hair to be removed from a mirror which would hurt those who like to video Sims and write stories. Too much hassle if no way to do this shortly. I think add both options as TS2 did. A salon could be fun again.

Shopping> have both, as in TS1 which you could only buy particular outfits for parties and I think something fancy downtown in a retail store. That was fun to go get those and they were expensive back then since the Sim might only get $20 a day. Worth the trouble.

ETA: Groceries, I would rather the Sim actually run out as in TS1 and TS2 and have to go grocery shopping at a grocery store. That one I would keep and not in the middle because that was why it was fun in some cases, because we knew if they didn't get off their duff and buy groceries they were dead. Needs more suspense in the later games.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    For me the 'complexity' described here is rather about the game controlling your gameplay than about complexity. And about compulsive and repetitive rather than dynamic. Like getting sick the way you describe it. I wouldn't like it if my sandbox plans for my sim would be interrupted because all of a sudden I'd have to go through all kind of routines to cure him. To me that sounds like a glorified version of checklisting.
    ETA:
    I'd prefer a combination of simple and less simple. Nothing really complex because that's not why I play the Sims. I had the shop at home coat hook for the Sims 2 when I didn't want to send my sims shopping. In sims 3 I could never be bothered to send my sims to the salon but it was nice to know it was an option. As for the sickness example I could go for having to call the doctor first and then ordering the medication.
    This.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Klassickicks22Klassickicks22 Posts: 179 Member
    Why not both!? I would want a mix of the two in my game!
  • Options
    ZakeiraZakeira Posts: 181 Member
    I'd choose the more complex version. For me, easy = boredom.
    mTp8aXz.jpg
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited November 2015
    Oh gosh, COMPLEX COMPLEX COMPLEX!!!

Although a few of the examples went a little far for me, I assume they were just examples. :) Reading the first half of those medical errands got me excited.

ETA: I hate that the Sims don't even have to go to the computer when I select order medicine. It pops up in their inventory before they would have even walked to the desk, if they did go there.

I'm fine with online shopping as an option (maybe not for everything though) and never BOOKCASE shopping, but then it arrives in the mail/on the doorstep ("packaged!") at LEAST an hour later. Because that's the dream, lol, it's funny and at least it's _a_ wait. But if it took a day or three or more, fine. ;)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    S1MSKA1S1MSKA1 Posts: 235 Member
    Simple. There is a reason that I don't like video games other than The Sims.
    WE WANT KOI PONDS FOR THE SIMS 4!
    OMG KOI PONDS!!!!