Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you lower the bills? Getting off the "grid"? Solar panels?

I'm not sure how the game calculates the ridiculous bills they send our sims but there has to be some way to lower them cause they are just getting out of hand. My sims are still getting started in their jobs and suddenly they are getting huge bills for almost nothing. What are they getting charged for? Electricity? Water? OK, that makes sense but maybe there should be solar panels in the game so you can get off the "grid" and not have to pay for electricity anymore. Maybe there are and I'm just not seeing them.

Comments

• Options
    xXKuroFaiXxxXKuroFaiXx Posts: 83 Member
    I think how much you pay in bills depends on the size of the house your sims are living in, and may be higher if you have the more expensive electronics/appliances. It may also depend on number of rooms/room size.

Like if people use the money cheat and then build (or buy off the gallery) a really big house with all the best stuff the more in bills you pay. Maybe consider downgrading your house until your sims make more money to keep up with their bills? Or let the power get shut off and then bum off your neighbors. :wink:
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Bills include everything in the house and inventories. If you have expensive things in your pockets, (or several cheap things) you'd best be selling them since they count towards your bills.
    Shutting off the TV(s), stereo(s), and switching lights to "Auto Lights" saves a few simoleons as well. :)
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I don't understand why they made it this way.
    The proper way was to make the bills calculate every penny that the household has earned be it from salary, selling collected items etc and deduct a percentage from that.

The percentage should have been determined by how big the lot is (indicating wealth of the sim, poor, middle class and rich)

for example
    - bigger lots representing the rich sims should get an income tax of 35% from their weekly income. Means if in one week that household made 4000 income from different sources the tax/bill will be 1400

- Medium lots representing the middle class should pay 25% of their income

- Small lots representing poor sims should pay 15% of their weekly income.

The bill will count the weekly income no matter if that income is spent on buying things or not.

I find a system like that would be more fair if it is based on the income and not on the items available on the lot. One week your sims might earn 3000 and the next week he might just earn 500 but his bills stays the same at a high rate. Income tax would have made a better solution than how the bill is counted.

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    I am definitely in favor of more content to help reduce bills -- as opposed to a number or statistic change to help.

Solar Panels seems like it could be really awesome.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    No I agree, The bills make no sense, I think what's killing us is, Bills are due weekly in the Sims, I would understand §8000/month but §8000 per week?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    In TS3 I had the solar panels, wind turbines etc. Bills were 'cute'.
  • Options
    ErinErin Posts: 641 Member
    I don't understand why they made it this way.
    The proper way was to make the bills calculate every penny that the household has earned be it from salary, selling collected items etc and deduct a percentage from that.

The percentage should have been determined by how big the lot is (indicating wealth of the sim, poor, middle class and rich)

for example
    - bigger lots representing the rich sims should get an income tax of 35% from their weekly income. Means if in one week that household made 4000 income from different sources the tax/bill will be 1400

- Medium lots representing the middle class should pay 25% of their income

- Small lots representing poor sims should pay 15% of their weekly income.

The bill will count the weekly income no matter if that income is spent on buying things or not.

I find a system like that would be more fair if it is based on the income and not on the items available on the lot. One week your sims might earn 3000 and the next week he might just earn 500 but his bills stays the same at a high rate. Income tax would have made a better solution than how the bill is counted.

I'd like it if bills were treated that way. It makes more sense honestly.
    670?cb=20130818204250
    "Because now it's the fans out there that are entertaining us, the developers, with their creations!" - Will Wright
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    You can lower bills by getting the reward trait "frugal" as well as making sure you don't have copious amounts of items laying around your individual and family inventories. Auto-lights (on) is also another way to help scale down your bills.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited November 2015
    Ayumap wrote: »
    You can lower bills by getting the reward trait "frugal" as well as making sure you don't have copious amounts of items laying around your individual and family inventories. Auto-lights (on) is also another way to help scale down your bills.

Can I just say, by the way, that before this latest Trick or Treat contest and the little chest that came with it, the inventory increasing the bills was the dirtiest and most horrible idea I'd ever seen implemented in the game to boot?
    If you have Outdoor and you want to boost that herbalism skill, or if you have Get to Work and you want to sell a bunch of pictures and items in your store, but you have to carry it in your inventory for a while first, your bills would skyrocket. I had one Sim living in a teeny tiny house, but I was making her grow tons and tons of produce and having her mine in the little...mining spots. I was going to make it so she'd be "rich off of the land".

And then her bill was thousands of Simoleans and I was freaking out because I didn't know why in the world her bills were so high. This? This explains it. I hope that this is somehow fixed at some point in the future, if it hasn't been already.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    Ayumap wrote: »

Can I just say, by the way, that before this latest Trick or Treat contest and the little chest that came with it, the inventory increasing the bills was the dirtiest and most horrible idea I'd ever seen implemented in the game to boot?
    If you have Outdoor and you want to boost that herbalism skill, or if you have Get to Work and you want to sell a bunch of pictures and items in your store, but you have to carry it in your inventory for a while first, your bills would skyrocket. I had one Sim living in a teeny tiny house, but I was making her grow tons and tons of produce and having her mine in the little...mining spots. I was going to make it so she'd be "rich off of the land".

And then her bill was thousands of Simoleans and I was freaking out because I didn't know why in the world her bills were so high. This? This explains it. I hope that this is somehow fixed at some point in the future, if it hasn't been already.

I don't even think it's a bug. It feels intentional, especially seeing how happy Graham gets when someone complains about high bills. It's a bit odd to me though. Sucks when you have a gardening sim and just so happen to harvest right before the bills arrive and all of a sudden have to sell your children just to afford your bills.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    I guess it's supposed to represent "contents insurance"

Does anyone know if storing them in the chest negates them from bills?

As for going "off grid"...

Don't pay the bills. Power gets cut off first, then water. Candles and camping lights work still, coolers, grills, firepits etc. Just nothing that needs to be plugged in or requires plumbing. You can either use public showers/toilets, or let your sims pee themselves and make Herbalism "cleansing cream" (I forget the name) which works like a shower-in-a-can. I think swimming in pools also raises hygiene (slowly), but doesn't require plumbing (so add a pool/pond/lake/natural pool to swim in).

I can't remember if the the camping shower stall works with water turned off, but the design looks like it should do. Same with small radios (they may be battery powered?).
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    If you are willing to use mods, MC command centre has an option to change the amount of bills.
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't have problems using mods (except they do tend to require frequent annoying upgrades every time EA decides to modify the game themselves so that's a big headache) but why can't EA just make the game more playable in the first place? We never had ridiculous bills like this in the past.

Where are the candles? I'd assume under Lighting but I looked and couldn't find them. I'll have to hunt again. I should have everything that is currently available. I've tried to figure out a way to have a candlelit dinner but it's either full lights or nothing.
  • Options
    SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Bills in The Sims 4 should be on a monthly basis, not weekly. We really need more content/items that reduce the price of bills :) Something I thought would be cool is if you rented a property then you could phone the landlord and ask him/her to lower the price of bills on your house :) If they added a feature like that I think it might even make paying bills fun ;)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    One, Buy a Smaller lot and the area is everything if you want a cheaper lot. Location, location. Because you can pay from $2000 to $6000 for location. Then build a moderately furnished house.

I have some very nice homes I built for my Sims which aren't expensive at all but they have everything they 'need' and their bills are no more than $200 or $300. However, if I build on a land like at the Oakenstead lot in WC their bills are $10,000 a week and they don't even have the most expensive TVs hardly any painting, no inventory items, (Because I have to sell all collections and art work, lol) or the most expensive bathroom or kitchen fixtures. Location matters, people. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sennie wrote: »
    Bills in The Sims 4 should be on a monthly basis, not weekly. We really need more content/items that reduce the price of bills :) Something I thought would be cool is if you rented a property then you could phone the landlord and ask him/her to lower the price of bills on your house :) If they added a feature like that I think it might even make paying bills fun ;)

A week in the Sim's life used to be a year.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    cherpar wrote: »
    If you are willing to use mods, MC command centre has an option to change the amount of bills.

Hey I have the MC Command. can you tell me what MC command does for bills?
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    i always find them getting higher depensing on how expnsive your stuff in the house is and on how many objects you have, Even if i have 20 beds in the house with 1 tv or a house with one stereo, a tv, stove and a fridge.. the one with the beds gets the higher bill.. it doesnt make sense. I wish for once they would calculate on how you USE your objects and not on how many you own.
  • Options
    SimsFur wrote: »
    i always find them getting higher depensing on how expnsive your stuff in the house is and on how many objects you have, Even if i have 20 beds in the house with 1 tv or a house with one stereo, a tv, stove and a fridge.. the one with the beds gets the higher bill.. it doesnt make sense. I wish for once they would calculate on how you USE your objects and not on how many you own.

Have you tested putting the same house (if it would fit) on a cheap lot like next to the river or train tracks? It might be cheaper.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member

Hi @halimali1980

It's a setting under the mccmdcenter. The same place you would find the pause on load setting. If it's set to -100, bills would be zero. You can set somewhere in between or even higher,. Nb if you have the child support setting enabled and have children outside of the active lot, this will add to bills ( hence a setting of -100 wouldn't be zero)

I haven't actually used it yet, I just remember it being a change in the most recent update. So you'd need to grab the most recent (2.1.0) if you haven't already.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Where are the candles? I'd assume under Lighting but I looked and couldn't find them. I'll have to hunt again. I should have everything that is currently available. I've tried to figure out a way to have a candlelit dinner but it's either full lights or nothing.

Objects by function > Lighting > Miscellaneous. (candles and possibly camping lights)

There is a terracotta tray with 3 scented candles, a metal/glass paraffin/kerosene lamp, a square glass candle lantern (PPS) and the gas/battery camping lights (OR). Others too.
  • Options

Hi @halimali1980

It's a setting under the mccmdcenter. The same place you would find the pause on load setting. If it's set to -100, bills would be zero. You can set somewhere in between or even higher,. Nb if you have the child support setting enabled and have children outside of the active lot, this will add to bills ( hence a setting of -100 wouldn't be zero)

I haven't actually used it yet, I just remember it being a change in the most recent update. So you'd need to grab the most recent (2.1.0) if you haven't already.

Thank you so much, I will look for it but I would be more interested in this child support thing.
    At the moment I have a different mod that lowers the bills and make them moderate.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I've always found the bills to be extremely low / easy.

Having said that I really would like an option to live off the grid and away from electricity and technology. I really cant stand how all sims automatically have smart phones because it limits me to modern stories.
  • Options
    tagcheeta1992tagcheeta1992 Posts: 19 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I guess it's supposed to represent "contents insurance"

Does anyone know if storing them in the chest negates them from bills?

As for going "off grid"...

Don't pay the bills. Power gets cut off first, then water. Candles and camping lights work still, coolers, grills, firepits etc. Just nothing that needs to be plugged in or requires plumbing. You can either use public showers/toilets, or let your sims pee themselves and make Herbalism "cleansing cream" (I forget the name) which works like a shower-in-a-can. I think swimming in pools also raises hygiene (slowly), but doesn't require plumbing (so add a pool/pond/lake/natural pool to swim in).

I can't remember if the the camping shower stall works with water turned off, but the design looks like it should do. Same with small radios (they may be battery powered?).

I cant get the camping lights to work while my power is off.. :/ I would think the lantern that says in the description that it is battery powered would work, but nope, i would thing the oil lamps would work too... negative.... Bummer!