Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tombstones and Urns should NEVER lose the dead Sim's name

To my disappointment, my tombstones and urns from my first generation Sims no longer display when I select them. Very sad.
soul-glo.gif
Let your soul shine through.

Comments

• Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    Yeah, I agree. Even if you release the spirit I think the name should still stick to the tombstone, I also think the picture of the sim should still show up in the family tree too...

I noticed awhile ago that even the essences you get from cow plants don't hold names any more and those sims are usually still alive.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    I agree. I still have tintypes of my ancestors! Tintypes! As in made of tin, not paper. We're talking pretty old here, peeps. It's almost as if EA is trying to systematically destroy family-oriented game play … I do hope I'm wrong.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    Instead of tomb stones can we have urns instead?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yeah, I do not get this one at all. I know it's probably an engine limitation, but I am wondering more and more why they chose the engine they did. Maxis, seriously, these little details mean so much.
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    edited October 2015
    I can't really see that as an engine limitation (but I'm not a programmer, just know some very basic stuff), sounds like it may have just been an oversight that hopefully will get corrected.

Although I did just start playing this past week so I'm just guessing here since I don't really know a lot about this game yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It's in the way culling works. You'll notice it with sims who are culled who had relationships. Say you had a sim who had a baby with a townie. If he gets culled, he disappears from the family tree. Same with friendships. Once they're culled, they're gone. It's been a long time since I've played without a mod that prevents culling, though, so maybe it's changed a little.

It's been complained about from nearly the start of the game, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix.
  • Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    > @xPaxion said:
    > Instead of tomb stones can we have urns instead?

Yes. You can have an urn or a tombstone. Take your urn and place it on the ground and it becomes a tombstone.
    soul-glo.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    @OriginalName Developers have said on Twitter in recent weeks (August-September) that they are working on culling. We don't know what aspects of it they're focusing on, though, and we don't have an expected time of arrival.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    > @xPaxion said:

Yes. You can have an urn or a tombstone. Take your urn and place it on the ground and it becomes a tombstone.

Why can't you leave your urn on a side table?
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited October 2015
    xPaxion wrote: »
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    > @xPaxion said:

Why can't you leave your urn on a side table?

You can have your urn on a side table lol. If it's inside it will be an urn and if it's outside it will be a tombstone. Not sure if you can have an urn on a table outside though. Haven't tried.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    When a sim dies, I click on the urn/tombstone and "engrave" the sims name on it. So far, the details have stayed even though the sim has been culled.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    You would be the first to experience that. I suspect culling happens in stages and hasn't reached your dead sims, yet.
    soul-glo.gif
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    When a sim dies, I click on the urn/tombstone and "engrave" the sims name on it. So far, the details have stayed even though the sim has been culled.

I usually do that too but in my dynasty a few of the tombstones got completely wiped... even the 'names' that I had typed in! :'(
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Culling has to delete everything about the sims, make it so that they never existed or the minimum requirements might be breached. Still there is no reason why Maxis had to use so many of the allocated 188 sims max (I think that's the number). Why couldn't they use 88 slots for their NPCs and townies and leave the player with 100 sims? I'm sure that wouldn't be enough for some long legacy players, but at least that's something.

It's very lazy programming that they didn't make a "culling pool" from where sims are culled and generated, keeping your sims out of that. There are so many poorly done or poorly optimized features and mechanics in this game. You'd think Maxis had no programmers and had to outsource the programming to a third world country that took half measures.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    joleaco wrote: »

I usually do that too but in my dynasty a few of the tombstones got completely wiped... even the 'names' that I had typed in! :'(

Nooooooooooo! That really sucks. :s
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I hate culling :(@GalacticGal me too! Cherish my family history :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Totally agree with your post title. Not only they shouldn't lose the name, but they shouldn't lose the ghost either. This game clearly doesn't cater generational players.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I never played a save long enough where one of my sims would die in TS4 (I always get bored before they even reach the elder lifestage), but I don't like ghosts and if I ever play this game again I plan to "free" all the spirits. But I read that the tombstone gets destroyed if you do that??? If it's true then that's just ridiculous. Sims should still be able to mourn. What's the point of sending dead sims to the land of the ghosts (forgot what it's called) if the outcome is the same as going into build mode and sell the tombstone? I thought the point of having that interaction was to be able to keep the tombstone intact without having to deal with the ghosts.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Agree with your header, OP. It is one of the main reasons none of my Sims are allowed to die in this game, ever. I have to have a proper system before I will play generations, legacy, and or even just a family. And I won't even let my couples and or single Sims die in this game because of the darn culling like this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MC Command Center's latest version apparently will allow you to tag a ghost as uncullable (hah, new word), and then you can turn on culling of ghosts but have the ghosts you want to keep protected. In the changelog, he suggests making a backup save just in case. I'd test it, but I'm back to Sims 3 for the moment.

Edit: Much like Pescado and Twallan before him, Deaderpool is probably singlehandedly making a version of the Sims playable for people it otherwise would not be playable for. I cannot thank him enough for this.
  • Options
    whtrbtwhtrbt Posts: 1,927 Member
    This is one of the many reasons I have quite playing (and buying game packs/expansion packs etc). It's time to forget Sims 4.
  • Options
    MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    I hate it when they get wiped out of the family tree and tombstones I want to remember my sims not forget!
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!