Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are they tracking our gameplay?

Comments

• Options
    crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
    edited October 2014
    Shearsy wrote: »
    Sorry double post :(

@Shearsy double post alert!
    Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be
  • Options
    ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    Shearsy wrote: »
    Sorry double post :(

@Shearsy double post alert!

I'm on my phone and got annoyed it was taking too long to post and went crazy with the post comment button :'(
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Oh well, they already have your credit card information. What could they possibly do with woohoo statistics?

They don't have my CC info I didn't buy the game from them.

Maybe that is why they want us logged in when we play so they can track how we play.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Creepy.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I believe that I know why that they are tracking game play. A couple of weeks ago I had came upon a statement released by a Sims Guru about Sims 5. In that statement, they had said that it was to early to talk about Sims 5 at this time. And in that same statement, they also said that they are waiting to see how well Sims 4 does. They also said that if Sims 4 does well, they'll talk about making Sims 5. And if Sims 4 doesn't do well, then there won't be a Sims 5. This tracking of the game play could very well be their way of tracking Sims 4 sales. :)

Doubt it. They look at sales for that determination, I would assume. But consumer data is huge business. Even if they aren't collecting individually identified info on players, they probably do collate group info and sell it.
    What I have said above is just one of several ways for them to keep track of how many game copies were sold, and it also gives them an insight on what to do next with the game by looking at how we the players play the game. They take a huge risk money wise, when they just blindly throw something our way. By tracking how we play the game, and by listening in on we would like in the game when we post that on the Forums sights are just two ways for them to reduce that risk. I for one don't blame them for doing this because if it were my billions of dollars. I certainly wouldn't want to just blindly throw all that money away either. :)

• Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    It starts with tracking gameplay... then they'll be raising taxes and enslaving the elderly!!!
  • Options
    munchie885 wrote: »
    It starts with tracking gameplay... then they'll be raising taxes and enslaving the elderly!!!

We don't need that much realism do we? :open_mouth:
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    MLJ28aMLJ28a Posts: 320 Member
    I have no issues with game play tracking, as it helps the devs understand what people do and don't like in the game.
    zD4X8.gif
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    claritysf wrote: »
    Pellapixel wrote: »
    This concerns me greatly....

10649946_10153070117615101_3119620159957194593_n_zpsc3277ae6.jpg

It's too bad the divorce rates aren't this low in real life...

Haha yes! Thats totally what I said to the Simgurus-that life is upsetting-sims is a nice escape!

• Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member

Maybe that's what happened to toddlers....

• Options
    MLJ28a wrote: »
    I have no issues with game play tracking, as it helps the devs understand what people do and don't like in the game.

Heh, plum yeah! I hope they can see the Mods I am using to correct flaws.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014

We don't need that much realism do we? :open_mouth:

EA and the Illuminati are both in cahoots!!! Don't get tricked by EA being a terrible company they're really plotting!
  • Options
    TildeLTildeL Posts: 188 Member
    I'm just surprised only 3 % let their sims go through divorce.... then I'm 2 of the 3 %. I like them to fight. Especially when I'm bored. (At least I don't kill them... I'm waiting for the pools)
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Well their tracking has a few holes if they are tracking how long we play. I often launch my game and someone will interrupt me to do something so I will turn off my screen planning to be right back. Sometimes it will be many hours later when I remember I left my computer on and I will have something popped up saying I have played for so many hours when actually I have hardly played at all. That would not have happened with Sims2&3. I think I have been cured of my sims addiction.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    The EULA gives them permission to collect/track. It expressly says if you don't agree to that, don't install. Installing is consent.
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    because they dont want anyone being naughty or maybe EA are really spies.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    The EULA gives them permission to collect/track. It expressly says if you don't agree to that, don't install. Installing is consent.

Too true. EA owns our games, our sims, everything that flows from the game. Lots of folks don't like that idea either. But, they tell us all this, most of us just don't bother to read the 'fine print'. Don't like it, don't install it. Sounds harsh, but it is reality. Doesn't do us any good to bury our heads in the sand.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    DanyhaasDanyhaas Posts: 343 Member
    my firewall blocks the sims 4 no one is tracking me and i hate the gallery
  • Options
    bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    Nah, It starts with tracking gameplay and ends with dynamic pricing models. :\
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    It does matter. Privacy always matter. If they're tracking that, what other demographic info--demographic info they can use or sell to others--are they collecting? Stores track shoppers. There was a news story awhile back about Target sending a congrats on your pregnancy flyer to a teenaged girl. Her father found it and called Target in an outraged. Turns out the girl was pregnant. Target had noticed she had picked up prenatal vitamins.

Maybe that seems off topic, but my point is you never know what information is being gathered or how it is used. People don't guard their internet privacy nearly enough. If EA's tracking does bother some of you, play offline. Nothing in the EULA against that.
  • Options
    EA started 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and plans to infect anyone who doesn't buy TS4.
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    It's just something they wrote without actually gathering information, or it's based on things people share and discuss with the community.
    Lots of people play offline, it's not possible to track their games.
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Pellapixel wrote: »
    This concerns me greatly....

10649946_10153070117615101_3119620159957194593_n_zpsc3277ae6.jpg

Ok in a serious answer....I suppose the percent and woohoo info is just intended to be humorous or a joke. That is impossible that many per day.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited October 2014
    It could be true, now that teens can officially woohoo. :P
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    Danyhaas wrote: »
    my firewall blocks the sims 4 no one is tracking me and i hate the gallery

There's a small logical flaw in that story...
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun