The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sandbox Players of the TS4, Does This Bother 'You'?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    I see this once in a while. Some people have seen this in the extreme, and it may be a glitch:

No, this player did not have freewill turned off, and when someone imported this household into her game, she found the same problem with them.

Man. I'm such a tard. I'm watching this on one screen and my game is paused on the other. I kept wondering why my sims were talking when it was paused, only to realize a while later, it was the video.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Dragonrose69Dragonrose69 Posts: 748 Member
    So far I have seen my sim manage herself when hunger, bladder and sleep needs are in the yellow. When left to her own devices she will play a game of browse the web, read, watch tv, talk to her plants or paint without prompting from me. She even stops doing things I've directed when hungry, needing to pee or needing a social boost. Since she is stuck in a tiny house with no door for the time being, she has very few choices in things to do on her own.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited October 2014
    greenXen wrote: »
    I see this once in a while. Some people have seen this in the extreme, and it may be a glitch:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/789550/help-sims-suddently-just-stand-there/p1

No, this player did not have freewill turned off, and when someone imported this household into her game, she found the same problem with them.

This was a glitch with the lot. The player had added something to the lot that had somehow "corrupted" it for want of a better word so ANY sim on that lot essentially stood around doing nothing. I imported the Avengers into the game, placed them on that log and had pretty much the same issues. The player pulled the lot back in unfurnished and then slowly added things until she figured out what it was, I think.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    There are a lot of Simmers out there that would consider themselves a "sandbox player" and I'm almost sure most of them would absolutely HATE how sandbox I'd like it to be. Like starting out in fig leaves. Want clothes? well well, there's sheep over there, some sheep cotton fields over there, berries and other plants to be found in the world for dyes, then you have to design a pattern, ect. ect. ect. Same with jewellery and other accessories. Build mode would only construct the plans to your houses, then you would either have to build it yourself or if your neighborhood is advanced enough you could hire a crew to build it, of course leaving the option open to start in an advanced hood or not. I could keep going but it would probably be redundant. Point being, if it was up to me it would be a ground up sandbox.
    Isn't that the concept of Minecraft..?
    That may be sandbox but it isn't really simulating life. Well... not modern life that is; it would be simulating life of the Pilgrim Fathers ;)

I don't like minecraft personally, but that's about as sandbox as it gets IMO.

And no, pilgrim life would just be a stage in the game if you decided to play it from that stage or earlier.
    I like the idea, maybe you could suggest this to some game company :#
    But please let them use real people instead of blocks lol.
    (really, this franchise could do with a wind of change; not to replace The Sims, but brotherly side by side)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    My sims only stand around like that when I turn free will off to set them in place for video or screenshots, etc. With free will off, they will not do anything autonomously except perhaps attempt to save their own lives (not very valiantly though LOL).

But if this is happening and you have not changed the free will settings, you may need to repair your game? This usually clears up any new issues you run into--but always make sure that (if you have any) you move the content from the Mods folder OUT of the Sims 4 folder before you click on Repair in your Origin. After that (if you had any mods) don't add any mods or cc, just go and test if the problem persists. If you had no mods or cc, of course, just jump in and check how it runs.

But I must say that, as a sandbox player, there's a whole lot more about Sims 4 that bothers me. I'm pretty sure they're mostly the same things that bother you.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    cornishovencornishoven Posts: 163 Member
    There are a lot of Simmers out there that would consider themselves a "sandbox player" and I'm almost sure most of them would absolutely HATE how sandbox I'd like it to be. Like starting out in fig leaves. Want clothes? well well, there's sheep over there, some sheep cotton fields over there, berries and other plants to be found in the world for dyes, then you have to design a pattern, ect. ect. ect. Same with jewellery and other accessories. Build mode would only construct the plans to your houses, then you would either have to build it yourself or if your neighborhood is advanced enough you could hire a crew to build it, of course leaving the option open to start in an advanced hood or not. I could keep going but it would probably be redundant. Point being, if it was up to me it would be a ground up sandbox.

I would be on that game like a tramp on a sandwich!

• Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    Why is the you in your title between 's
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    But if this is happening and you have not changed the free will settings, you may need to repair your game? This usually clears up any new issues you run into--but always make sure that (if you have any) you move the content from the Mods folder OUT of the Sims 4 folder before you click on Repair in your Origin. After that (if you had any mods) don't add any mods or cc, just go and test if the problem persists. If you had no mods or cc, of course, just jump in and check how it runs.

I have free will on, no mods and I have the game installed on three different computers..(it's installed from the disc on the computer I use the most and downloaded from my games on Origin on the other two)....and I have Sims standing around or not doing anything more than TS3 Sims did when they were at home.

When I placed a new family in a home in TS3 they would do this assortment of things....head for the TV or computer, head for the bookcase, turn on the stereo to do exercises, get the "check out new object moodlet and sometimes just go to the window to stare out.

When I place a new family in TS4 most often they stand around on the sidewalk quite a while before they even go into the house. Once inside they will head for the TV or computer, drop down for push ups, grab a book or just gather some where to "chat". There is no real interaction and quite often they just stand around.

From the way they were hyped I fully expected them to have some improvement in their interactions and to do more things autonomously.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    keobookskeobooks Posts: 103 Member
    I'm assuming there will be mods in the future that make them do just about anything autonomously. I think the developers are usually conservative on what they allow sims to do autonomously because they know people will complain if their sim does something they don't like (like get pregnant or cheat on their spouse, for instance.)
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    can't say i've noticed, i love just watching mine fend for themselves. They are always doing something, i especially love the spontaneous family interactions. Think it all depends on your sims traits as to what they do when you are not controlling them
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Jalida wrote: »
    I've seen it on tons of Twitch.tv livestreams in the past several days. Some players notice it and get all bent out of shape about it, something like "why are you just standing there you dolt", and others don't even give it a parting glance, almost as if they're completely oblivious to their Sim standing around for what looked to me to be anywhere between 30 and 60 in game minutes.

Thank you, because it does happen and glad I'm not the only who witnesses this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I would be on that game like a tramp on a sandwich!

It's an old game or at least the old Microsoft game plays somewhat the same way. :D

ETA: No I have no mods and no cc. And not all Sims do that, only a few and seems to be the same Sims in the same households. Not sure what's wrong with them, but the do take long breaks and just stand. And as I said it only happens in larger households that may offer more fun objects so they don't really have much else to try to do. And it's not all of them. One is smarter and takes care of his needs in order..go figure he is my Doctor Who..lol...the others not so smart they play when fun is full instead of going to the bathroom etc. And two or three of the females as I have already stated just stand for long time periods. They do whatever, then they just stand. It can drive a player to want to zap them not understanding why they are just standing for several Sim minutes. Not frozen still breathing and just smiling.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.