The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 selling well in Germany

The German fanpage Simtimes.de reports that TS4 has won the sales award in gold of the German Gaming Industry for selling more than 100.000 copies in the months of September:

simtimes.de/die-sims-4-gehoert-zu-den-erfolgreichsten-spielen-im-september-17376/

The most successful game in Germany was however FIFA soccer for playstation (also a game by EA, so you can be sure they are drinking champagne right now).

Comments

• Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    The German fanpage Simtimes.de reports that TS4 has won the sales award in gold of the German Gaming Industry for selling more than 100.000 copies in the months of September:

simtimes.de/die-sims-4-gehoert-zu-den-erfolgreichsten-spielen-im-september-17376/

The most successful game in Germany was however FIFA soccer for playstation (also a game by EA, so you can be sure they are drinking champagne right now).

We're mostly happy with what we get :)
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Really. A console game. So Risen 3 wasn't selling at all in Germany?
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,453 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Really. A console game. So Risen 3 wasn't selling at all in Germany?

I went to Saturn this week (a big German electronic/games retailer) and looked at the PC games charts - Risen 3 was in second place behind TS4. Surprisingly, a Sims 3 "starter pack" (base game combined with Late Night and Luxury Accessoires) was still in 6th place and even sold out!

• Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Would it be bad to guess that any world war games wouldn't sell well in Germany? :|
  • Options
    ENolan wrote: »
    Would it be bad to guess that any world war games wouldn't sell well in Germany? :|

You mean because we can't stand our defeat? Don't overestimate the political knowledge of young gamers :D .

• Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member

Selling so well that EA has been acting as though Sims never existed.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited October 2014
    I love the underdeveloped dinky simulators coming from Germany. They give a whole new dimension to being a PC-Gamer. And they fit so nicely between all the underdeveloped american indie-trash pixel-barf games on Steam.
  • Options
    DanyhaasDanyhaas Posts: 343 Member
    100000 is not a lot gta sold like 1000000 in one day
  • Options
    I went to Saturn this week (a big German electronic/games retailer) and looked at the PC games charts - Risen 3 was in second place behind TS4. Surprisingly, a Sims 3 "starter pack" (base game combined with Late Night and Luxury Accessoires) was still in 6th place and even sold out!
    I know what Saturn is. I've never stated it, but I'm in EU. ;)

But it's odd really about Sims 4.
    Risen 3 is:
    - openworld huge game
    - with brilliant graphics and unbeatable vistas I haven't seen anywhere else
    - with total of 20 bugs nonnitpicking player probably won't even notice (check DS tech section for details)
    - with horrible inventory system

Sims 4 is totally opposite except it has also a horrible inventory system just like Risen 3.

Either Germany decided to go casual or Deep Silver's marketing failed.

Sims 3 sold out is not surprising at all.
    Past few years openworld games sell like a cure for cancer. Sims 3 is one, Skyrim is another, GTA whatever number also, etc.
  • Options
    @JoxerTM22 As you then undoubtely know that it is extremely hard to sell violent games in Germany. Though the grey-import market is huge in Germany, their grey-export is non-existant. Who wants to play nerfed into oblivion games anyway, knowing that just over the border a dutch gamer is having the blood dripping from his monitor without wanting to start the fourth reich?

Non violent games have a much higher probability to sell well in Germany as the extreme censoring has found ground in mainstream german consumerism... Which relates to my earlier remark about german simulators. They're the result of years of trying to eradicate all violence from electronic entertainment.
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    I know what Saturn is. I've never stated it, but I'm in EU. ;)

But it's odd really about Sims 4.
    Risen 3 is:
    - openworld huge game
    - with brilliant graphics and unbeatable vistas I haven't seen anywhere else
    - with total of 20 bugs nonnitpicking player probably won't even notice (check DS tech section for details)
    - with horrible inventory system

Sims 4 is totally opposite except it has also a horrible inventory system just like Risen 3.

Either Germany decided to go casual or Deep Silver's marketing failed.

Sims 3 sold out is not surprising at all.
    Past few years openworld games sell like a cure for cancer. Sims 3 is one, Skyrim is another, GTA whatever number also, etc.

Ummm... Risen 3 and The Sims 4 are different games, from different genres. ;) It depends on people's tastes. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @LittleMinxUndr
    Well... I really dunno why The Stick of Truth had to be censored for Germany, Austria, Australia and New Zealand. It's a satirical game based on satirical cartoon. And it's IMO a brilliant game and censoring anything inside just kills it.
    I'd never buy censored versions of anything thus I believe you that it might be the cause.

@EsnesNommoc
    It's not about the genre here. Traditionally german games should outsell everything else in Germany. Even if people are not into a genre, they'll buy/try it.

• Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    @LittleMinxUndr
    Well... I really dunno why The Stick of Truth had to be censored for Germany, Austria, Australia and New Zealand. It's a satirical game based on satirical cartoon. And it's IMO a brilliant game and censoring anything inside just kills it.
    I'd never buy censored versions of anything thus I believe you that it might be the cause.

@EsnesNommoc
    It's not about the genre here. Traditionally german games should outsell everything else in Germany. Even if people are not into a genre, they'll buy/try it.

Well, then I guess The Sims 4 must be really good then, having outsold their own German game. ;) (just kidding :# )
  • Options
    @JoxerTM22 As you then undoubtely know that it is extremely hard to sell violent games in Germany. Though the grey-import market is huge in Germany, their grey-export is non-existant. Who wants to play nerfed into oblivion games anyway, knowing that just over the border a dutch gamer is having the blood dripping from his monitor without wanting to start the fourth reich?

Non violent games have a much higher probability to sell well in Germany as the extreme censoring has found ground in mainstream german consumerism... Which relates to my earlier remark about german simulators. They're the result of years of trying to eradicate all violence from electronic entertainment.

I think your analysis is right! But on the other hand, Sims 4 has the lowest rating (6+) of all countries in Germany because we are not afraid of gay relationships and invisible pixel-sex :D ! In this case, I love my country for setting the right priorities. There is too much violence and not enough woohoo in the world.

• Options
    cornishovencornishoven Posts: 163 Member
    Going slightly OT, but as it's about Germany... A German sim world would be amazing. I love the scenery and architecture in Germany, it's on my 'Countries I MUST visit' list.
    To get back on topic... Um.... Well done Germans lol :)
  • Options
    Going slightly OT, but as it's about Germany... A German sim world would be amazing. I love the scenery and architecture in Germany, it's on my 'Countries I MUST visit' list.
    To get back on topic... Um.... Well done Germans lol :)

If we get the "Tudor World" shown in a lot of screenshots, your Sims can feel like in Northwestern Germany :) .

screenshot_original.jpg

• Options
    @Alanmicheal1 Indeed. I'm very much in love with the german people, really. I do think that the past is haunting them too severly, purely because their surrounding countries are watching them like hawks. Many of it is because I'm not european and am at times very surprised at the anti-german sentiment that's still very much alive to this day.

All I know is that most all of the german folk I know personally are far less prone to violence than I am, lol. How much of that is the result of cultural conditioning I dare not judge as I myself belong to a tribal people known as Dayaks. Peaceful coexistence is for my people a somewhat modern concept. ^^
  • Options
    @LittleMinxUndr So you are living in Indonesia? I think modern Germany is just a very normal and average country, in fact it may be the worldwide climax of normality :D (ok, let's not forget Switzerland). And anti-German sentiment today has more to do with the economy than the war. The common currency in Europe is still a very difficult problem and Germany is torn between its own needs and the needs of its neighbours.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    There is no antigerman sentiment.
    Merkel should be a world president. Germany does things others don't even dare to think about, for example stepping on Steam's toe on the matter of reselling used games:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Modifying-Steam-EULA-VZBV-Files-Complaint-With-Court-Berlin-52002.html

Also, how about this one:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/german-court-bans-internet-throttling-652128
    This scale of protecting consumers is impossible to do outside of Germany.

And have you seen recent movements? Advertising a game as free while it contains pay2win stuff inside is on the edge to become (if it's not already) illegal business.

If there is antigerman sentiment, it comes from scamming companies.
    And those who hate beer. :)
  • Options
    No, I went to study in the Netherlands and consequently never left, though there's a huge indonesian community in the Netherlands. Indonesia is a very interesting country because islands like Java are very western, while other islands still have very traditional regions. I'm from the more traditional regions near Djok-Jakarta. (The Dayak-heartland, more or less.) The devide between progressive and traditionalism is more acute there than everywhere else in Indonesia.

I agree that it is less about the war now than say, 10 years ago. The currency switch to the € has a lot to do with that, though the worth of the coin is now tied to the poorest country participating as opposed to the situation before, when many countries based the intrensic worth of their coin to the Mark. Historically, countries where wealthy by proximity to Germany.

Regardless, I think that it will take a few decades before the world reallys stops punishing Germany, but most importantly, the germans stop punishing themselves.
  • Options
    No, I went to study in the Netherlands and consequently never left, though there's a huge indonesian community in the Netherlands. Indonesia is a very interesting country because islands like Java are very western, while other islands still have very traditional regions. I'm from the more traditional regions near Djok-Jakarta. (The Dayak-heartland, more or less.) The devide between progressive and traditionalism is more acute there than everywhere else in Indonesia.

I agree that it is less about the war now than say, 10 years ago. The currency switch to the € has a lot to do with that, though the worth of the coin is now tied to the poorest country participating as opposed to the situation before, when many countries based the intrensic worth of their coin to the Mark. Historically, countries where wealthy by proximity to Germany.

Regardless, I think that it will take a few decades before the world reallys stops punishing Germany, but most importantly, the germans stop punishing themselves.

So we are almost neighbours, I live in Münster, just 70 km from the Dutch border :) .

• Options
    edited October 2014

So we are almost neighbours, I live in Münster, just 70 km from the Dutch border :) .
    I've visited Münster years ago, during Skulptur. Due to falling to sickness I have been unable to return since. But the city's atmosphere I think is impressive. I've enjoyed my time there greatly.
  • Options
    RitchieRitchie Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    Your last comment is spot on: I've heard of some stories from people who don't even like the national flag or refuse to celebrate their national holiday. Which is a shame, cause the far majority of Europe couldn't even care less about the past I think. I too live in The Netherlands (I'm actually part of that Dutch-Indonesian thing you were talking about, my mother is from Sidoarjo ;) ) and the only antigerman sentiment here is world cup related. We love mocking Germans. Having said that, made by some blokes from Amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI7QTfpRXo

:D

@alanmichael1 Münster is neat :) My grandmother lived in Enschede and we always visited your city when we stayed over at her place :) I have some pretty fond memories from there!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I dislike bigotry in any form, and just think it is wrong to label folks because of what their countries and people did in history. We are not those people. It is not then, it is now. Perhaps my feeling about war in general - like the game you mentioned - I honestly had never heard of - as I don't care how beautiful a game is, how well it plays, or how trouble free it is - if it is about War - or even killing in general of any form - I am not ever going to pay it any attention. I don't like WAR, movies, books, or games about Wars - so I totally ignor them.

That aside I am glad Sims 4 is doing well in Germany as over my years with Sims (since day 1 of it's existance) I have often sought out German sites when ever i was looking for good Holiday CC seeing they really are good at making Sims CC. I also love many of the Sims 3 Caw and Sims 2 template worlds made from European sites - especially Germany.

I think I am especially happy there are lots of Sims loving people in the world - if i can say nothing else about this game - I have learned the most because I am a simmer that people around the world are very much like me. The Sims game itself always showed a world with no violence (for the most part it was the player that mocked evil as there is no real evil in the Sims) and best of all no bigotry. It is a world I wish we lived in just because all the Sims take each other at face value and never judge.

One thing I have always done though before there was a Sims game is focus on the positive of all the worlds countries and all the things modern people have today thanks to the efforts of people and their determination to make the world in general a better place. It seems fitting a game like the Sims would do well regardless of what is or isn't missing in it. Just for what it stands for.

As an American whose family history is English on one side and Norweigan and Dutch on the other, and began with the founding of Jamestown - I am by all rights as American as one can get - hold no anx toward any people in the world, instead feel grateful to the worlds outstanding people who invented things, who found cures for things, the literature and arts - and of their non-warring years histories. I suppose it all depends on ones own focus in life. I will always be happy to see a little peaceful game like the Sims doing well. To me it is sort of the link that binds me to all my simming friends. To me it does not matter where you are from or where you live - I am just priviledged to know you all and I do thank the Sims games for making it all possible.

So yeah - I am very glad it is an award winning game in Germany.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    cornishovencornishoven Posts: 163 Member
    @Writin_Reg beautifully written :)