The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA/Maxis Silence

Comments

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Definitely long string of plums :)

Like the idea of shopping,flea market, bakery, or even one of those cute dress shops like we had in TS2.

Lol plum,plum,plum,plum,plum....sorry couldn't resist happy-124.GIF

Yes that would be neat. The only thing is it could not be a actual shop, at least not in the public space, becouse you need a lot to build on. That would require loading screens, and kind of defeat the purpose of a open area. So no actual buildings, but more open ways to achieve the same result. Ok maybe a rabbit hole bathroom...after all nature does call.

They could add a ton of great activities to a open area. Shopping at little booths like a flee market, food booths, a huge playground with all sorts of differn't play items. *cough* swings, slides, merry go round, see saw *cough.* Games, whatever happened to basketball? You could add soccor goals, a big area to play catch, *cough* balls to play catch with *cough* a track your sim could jog on, maybe the kids could race on it also. Maybe there could be a lake you could swim in, why couldn't we ever swim in a lake? After seasons comes out, you would be able to iceskate on it in winter. There are so many great things that can be done.

You obviously still don't have the game Jules or you would know better than that. The regular bathroom works just fine - no rabbit holes needed. No loading screen unless you leave this little hood or go into an actual house. I go in and out of the community lots with my sims, use the bathroom, go down to the fishing and fish a while, go over to one of the picnic areas and eat something, maybe run into the library a bit and read some things or use the pcs - or any of the other community lots or what ever - all with no loading screens, no rabbit holes. Now if I click to go visit someon or click to go home I will get a loading screen and they are always very quick - and boom I am right where I needed to go. Do not get where you think we can't go in and out of buildings or need to have a RH bathroom. No, you don't. Not at all like Sims 2 in that respect. I would get the game if you are going to keep talking about it - other wise you sound a bit silly.

Constance has a good question, what are you talking about?

I think you are the only one who can go into a community lot without loading. You have to load every lot. The public spaces are free to roam around in. Yes I know there are no rabbit holes. I don't think you understand I was speaking of a hypothetical area, that doesn't even exist in the game. So anything mentioned is purley out of my imagination anyway. No I don't have the game, but that doesn't stop my mind from thinking of things that may be possible one day. Maybe you should learn to read and understand a post before commenting, not doing so can make you look silly.

Edit: Now maybe I tried it??? Hmmmm inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    constance wrote: »
    Remember how in TS2 when they got married, the limo came to take them on a little honeymoon? I hope that makes a comeback too ;_;

That would be awesome. That was so romantic. We would need to wait for a vacation EP before that could happen though. Hopefully this time when doing a vacation EP, they put a little more variety in it like in Sims 2.
  • Options
    bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Definitely long string of plums :)

Like the idea of shopping,flea market, bakery, or even one of those cute dress shops like we had in TS2.

Lol plum,plum,plum,plum,plum....sorry couldn't resist happy-124.GIF

Yes that would be neat. The only thing is it could not be a actual shop, at least not in the public space, becouse you need a lot to build on. That would require loading screens, and kind of defeat the purpose of a open area. So no actual buildings, but more open ways to achieve the same result. Ok maybe a rabbit hole bathroom...after all nature does call.

They could add a ton of great activities to a open area. Shopping at little booths like a flee market, food booths, a huge playground with all sorts of differn't play items. *cough* swings, slides, merry go round, see saw *cough.* Games, whatever happened to basketball? You could add soccor goals, a big area to play catch, *cough* balls to play catch with *cough* a track your sim could jog on, maybe the kids could race on it also. Maybe there could be a lake you could swim in, why couldn't we ever swim in a lake? After seasons comes out, you would be able to iceskate on it in winter. There are so many great things that can be done.

You obviously still don't have the game Jules or you would know better than that. The regular bathroom works just fine - no rabbit holes needed. No loading screen unless you leave this little hood or go into an actual house. I go in and out of the community lots with my sims, use the bathroom, go down to the fishing and fish a while, go over to one of the picnic areas and eat something, maybe run into the library a bit and read some things or use the pcs - or any of the other community lots or what ever - all with no loading screens, no rabbit holes. Now if I click to go visit someon or click to go home I will get a loading screen and they are always very quick - and boom I am right where I needed to go. Do not get where you think we can't go in and out of buildings or need to have a RH bathroom. No, you don't. Not at all like Sims 2 in that respect. I would get the game if you are going to keep talking about it - other wise you sound a bit silly.

????????
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    Remember how in TS2 when they got married, the limo came to take them on a little honeymoon? I hope that makes a comeback too ;_;

That would be awesome. That was so romantic. We would need to wait for a vacation EP before that could happen though. Hopefully this time when doing a vacation EP, they put a little more variety in it like in Sims 2.

Yeah, I think you're right. Only thing that kind of annoyed me in TS2, though, was they would arrive at their honeymoon vacation still in their wedding clothes, lmao. Can you imagine. Like, "yeah, hon, I got this corset and heavy 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wedding dress that i'll travel in. what time does the plan come?"
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    I feel like they are making up for it with these patches though?
  • Options
    simsluvr90simsluvr90 Posts: 3,030 Member

Yeah, I think you're right. Only thing that kind of annoyed me in TS2, though, was they would arrive at their honeymoon vacation still in their wedding clothes, lmao. Can you imagine. Like, "yeah, hon, I got this corset and heavy 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wedding dress that i'll travel in. what time does the plan come?"

I travelled to my honeymoon in my wedding gown... mine was 15 lbs hahaha
  • Options
    MrSimmis wrote: »
    I feel like they are making up for it with these patches though?

The patches are definatly a great start. I do like the ghosts, I think they are more advanced this time around. It appears you can do much more with them. I watched the trailor, and they looked like they could be alot of fun. There is still more to do, before I can feel like I want to play though.
  • Options

Lol, I see your point. Though some people do leave for thier honeymoon in thier wedding clothing. Like @simsluvr90 up there. 15 pounds??? What in the world were you wearing? Lol It would be nice if they changed into a outfit suitable for the destination though. It wouldn't bother me really if they didn't though.
  • Options
    simsluvr90simsluvr90 Posts: 3,030 Member

Lol, I see your point. Though some people do leave for thier honeymoon in thier wedding clothing. Like @simsluvr90 up there. 15 pounds??? What in the world were you wearing? Lol It would be nice if they changed into a outfit suitable for the destination though. It wouldn't bother me really if they didn't though.

My dress was a ballgown haha

it had 7 layers

28jify9.jpg
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    What a lovely wedding photo :) I don't do quotes but to support what @JULES1111 was saying we were talking about open worlds not loading screens. We agreed that a compromise for TS4 would be the best we could hope for.

This is a thread about communication with the company. For a while I was hopeful that something good would come of it and that there would be a way to communicate with the company, a relationship. The removal of the PM in such an arbitrary manner clearly demonstrates that a relationship is not possible.

This will be my last post here. It has been an extremely interesting thread and I have met some lovely people. I am going back to my TS3 page. There is no way now that I would consider purchasing TS 4.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2014
    The game gurus have no part of what happens on the web page. It is not fair to blame them and they are still communicating. Seeing the Guru in charge (Simguru Hydra) of the website just left - who ever is manning the website is responsible - and not generally the ones who we communicate with. As the sims 3 site is still here same ones in charge of sims 3 site is the same - so what is that going to accomplish? Even odder is blaming the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    > What a lovely wedding photo :) I don't do quotes but to support what JULES1111 was saying we were talking about open worlds not loading screens. We agreed that a compromise for TS4 would be the best we could hope for.
    >
    > This is a thread about communication with the company. For a while I was hopeful that something good would come of it and that there would be a way to communicate with the company, a relationship. The removal of the PM in such an arbitrary manner clearly demonstrates that a relationship is not possible.
    >
    > This will be my last post here. It has been an extremely interesting thread and I have met some lovely people. I am going back to my TS3 page. There is no way now that I would consider purchasing TS 4.

Honestly, PM's are wildly uncommon, and somewhat pointless. The problem is that when a moderator or Guru gets hundreds of PM's a day it's no better than just posting on the forums. Also, even on smaller sites people abuse the PM ability. I think that we have something good starting here regardless. You have to keep in mind the realities. Maxis has stepped up their game, and are obviously listening. That's the goal. End of story. Their actions are what's important. By communication I mean being open about the future, and why or how they are planning things. To ease off of the marketing talk and be real with us sometimes. I don't expect them to go get a burger with me, though if any Guru finds themselves in Oklahoma give me a shout. Even the most open companies don't speak directly to individual fans. Thats not really all that productive. Even Bethesda and Valve use community announcements instead of one on one conversations. They read the forums, get the general idea of what people are saying and give an open statement. (However, no company is innocent of burying their heads when things go badly.)

I also my suggestion for more transparency was to help them, not us. They have been shooting themselves in the foot by not just leveling with us. The prelaunch Sims 4 marketing team did a bang up job of making people not want to buy the Sims 4. Last I knew, that was the opposite of their goal. The Sims 4 would have sold better with no marketing at all. Their marketing campaign slogan was, "Due to budget concerns the game is downsized!" Wuh!? Okay, I made that up, but it might as well have been. They were so busy hiding what was missing they forgot to tell us what makes the Sims 4 so freak'n awesome.
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Skimming through this thread and all I can do is shake my head.
    So many people believing so many things.

No, if everyone that does not enjoy the game left the forum, it would not be "empty". THIS thread would be empty, but the creative sections of the forum would still the absolutely full.

No, the graphics are not "plastic"* looking because there was once a "facebook" online game.

No, it is not necessary to always buy the newest instalment of a game, if you don't like it. If you seriously think all new games will cater to your interests just because an older game in a series would, you have not actually been into gaming that long.** Or only played one or two games.

No, enjoying "RPG Elements" (whatever that is) in the game does not disqualify you from being a "true Simmer" or a "real Sims Fan".

And people still complain about the lighting? I don't have any mods, but if cough up 80 simoleons you get a lamp that is plenty strong.

Also, I just noticed that Google's dictionary actually has "Simoleons" in it. :D

*It's a matter of graphic style, not bad graphics. We have had this argument before on these forums, and some people are just too ignorant to educate.

**I vastly prefer Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2, to the point that I won't buy Dragon Age Inquisition. I stopped playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 very quickly, since the series peaked with RTC2. Etc.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    tonicmole - totally agree with all of your post.
    -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2014
    Skimming through this thread and all I can do is shake my head.
    So many people believing so many things.

No, the graphics are not "plastic"* looking because there was once a "facebook" online game.

No, it is not necessary to always buy the newest instalment of a game, if you don't like it. If you seriously think all new games will cater to your interests just because an older game in a series would, you have not actually been into gaming that long.** Or only played one or two games.

No, enjoying "RPG Elements" (whatever that is) in the game does not disqualify you from being a "true Simmer" or a "real Sims Fan".

*It's a matter of graphic style, not bad graphics. We have had this argument before on these forums, and some people are just too ignorant to educate.

**I vastly prefer Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2, to the point that I won't buy Dragon Age Inquisition. I stopped playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 very quickly, since the series peaked with RTC2. Etc.

And why is all that important? No matter if you call it graphics style or bad graphics, no matter how many games I played, that doesn't change my perception of Sims 4 in any way and it shouldn't because those arguments are not relevant.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    October 6 will be a full month since TS4 came out, no matter where you live (okay, I could be mistaken about this but for most of us, it's been a month). If we don't hear anything about the sales numbers (from EA, not from VG or whatever they're called) I am going to assume something went horribly wrong. EA's had enough time to compute the numbers by now imo. The simming public deserves the concrete information.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Well actually I dont know that we actually DESERVE to know, we just want to, really bad! lol
  • Options
    AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    I always thought one of the main issues was that the original teams that worked on the game (sims 1 and 2) are gone and were replaced. If we still had teams working on the game with the mindsets or skills as those past teams then what went wrong with 3 and 4 NEVER would have happened. I noticed a dramatic fan decrease from the jump between 2 and 3 but now with 4 out and this nonsense going on I don't know what is happening.

What I do notice is happening however is EA showing their true colors and just what a money-hungry company they are. A company who does not care about the fans although they might BS us and make shallow statements saying that they do care. EA 's reputation these days is a company that ruins games rather than making them successful and its a shame that they have their hands on the sims :(
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • Options
    bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member
    simsluvr90 wrote: »

My dress was a ballgown haha

it had 7 layers

28jify9.jpg

Aww :)
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    October 6 will be a full month since TS4 came out, no matter where you live (okay, I could be mistaken about this but for most of us, it's been a month). If we don't hear anything about the sales numbers (from EA, not from VG or whatever they're called) I am going to assume something went horribly wrong. EA's had enough time to compute the numbers by now imo. The simming public deserves the concrete information.

The Sims 4 was the number 1 best selling video game in Europe the week of it's release. It did not make the top ten in the U.S. or Japan, though, only in Europe. In week 2 it slipped to number 4, in week 3 it was at number 7 and in week 4 it was off the chart entirely. So it did not sell as well as TS2 or TS3.

BUT (and this is a big but), apparently those numbers do not include digital sales through Origin itself - or at least, that is what I am hearing now. If that is true then sales for TS4 may be significantly be better than reported. And it is possible that EA can't give a report on actual sale figures until it figures out how many copies have been returned - although it would not surprise me if EA trumpeted figures that did not factor in returns. They could legitimately claim that they sold 100,000 copies (for example - I grabbed that number out of my hat) when a third of those sales had ended up being cancelled or returned.

• Options
    SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    It wouldn't surprise me if TS4 sold less physical copies, I think in recent years digital copies have grown exponentially. I purchased TS1, 2 & 3 on physical copies, but most of TS3 EP's were digital as I realised the advantage of just downloading games.
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Schweighsr wrote: »

The Sims 4 was the number 1 best selling video game in Europe the week of it's release. It did not make the top ten in the U.S. or Japan, though, only in Europe. In week 2 it slipped to number 4, in week 3 it was at number 7 and in week 4 it was off the chart entirely. So it did not sell as well as TS2 or TS3.

BUT (and this is a big but), apparently those numbers do not include digital sales through Origin itself - or at least, that is what I am hearing now. If that is true then sales for TS4 may be significantly be better than reported. And it is possible that EA can't give a report on actual sale figures until it figures out how many copies have been returned - although it would not surprise me if EA trumpeted figures that did not factor in returns. They could legitimately claim that they sold 100,000 copies (for example - I grabbed that number out of my hat) when a third of those sales had ended up being cancelled or returned.

Where are you getting that info for the charts?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    AloeVista wrote: »
    I always thought one of the main issues was that the original teams that worked on the game (sims 1 and 2) are gone and were replaced. If we still had teams working on the game with the mindsets or skills as those past teams then what went wrong with 3 and 4 NEVER would have happened. I noticed a dramatic fan decrease from the jump between 2 and 3 but now with 4 out and this nonsense going on I don't know what is happening.

What I do notice is happening however is EA showing their true colors and just what a money-hungry company they are. A company who does not care about the fans although they might BS us and make shallow statements saying that they do care. EA 's reputation these days is a company that ruins games rather than making them successful and its a shame that they have their hands on the sims :(

Actually alot of the people who worked on Sims 1 and especially 2, were working on Sims 3 and 4. The only difference is most if not all have a differn't position then they did then. So what happened with the game, is really anyones guess. I think they just started to loose thier way. They have been with it for so long, that they forgot what made The Sims so special in the first place. They forgot where it's heart is. Maybe trying to tweek things here and there for something new, started to have them change direction, maybe without even realizing it. I don't really know. Sims 3 actually outsold Sims 2, so any drop from fans was clearly made up. They certainly don't appear to be having the same luck with 4.

EA is definatly known for greed, but I don't think you can place the decisions of CEO's and such, on the backs of the devs. That's not fair. They don't make those kinds of decisions. They make games, up until now I would say they were successful, but something is definatly amiss. I don't know if it's time, money, or just a way of approching the game that went south. Maybe it was a combination, truth be told we will probley never know. The company earned that rep, itself. You can't blame the faults of a company, on the people who work for it. I actually do think they are doing the best they can, not to say it will be good enough, but I do think they are trying.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I think they just started to loose thier way. They have been with it for so long, that they forgot what made The Sims so special in the first place. They forgot where it's heart is. Maybe trying to tweek things here and there for something new, started to have them change direction, maybe without even realizing it..

I suspect a number of the devs who made S2 and S3 did not work this one.

The small things I noticed are not there:

cuddling in bed (after woohoo or just sleeping)

sim kids from day 1 always had those little stools appear to raise them to counter level or sinks

actual dancing; sims1 had 'swing' dancing, s2 had different dance styles as did S3...NO SMUSTLE DANCE

the alien abduction

there's lots more, but this is enough to illustrate my point...there is lots of good, but the continuity seems "off"

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Joylynn417Joylynn417 Posts: 103 Member
    I have been playing since the original Sims and they've always handle game criticism like that. They also blame most issues on custom content and ignore you when you insist you've never used it. Another trick of their's is to tell you your computer isn't advanced enough; however, I can prove that I have the same issues with Sims on my current computer (which is far more advanced than anything available in the late 90s) as I did on my old Dell.