The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Graphics, Good? Or Bad?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like the fact that trees and other plants are back to being 3D models, but I really do not care for the look of the graphics aside from that. Especially the Sims themselves. =/
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    DancingK8DancingK8 Posts: 395 Member
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I hate the graphics. I'm really not digging the whole clunky/cartoony appearance that everything has. I like my town and sims to look as realistic as possible.

Granted, I wasn't too keen on how the TS3 sims looked at first, either. Fortunately, CC hairs, eyes, and skins can make some dramatic improvements. Hopefully that's the case with TS4.
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited November 2013
    [quote=MadMan512***** Guys,

I know before we had the final graphics of the game people were arguing which graphics would be best for the game, and now that we know what the graphics will look like, do you guys still like them? Or still hate them?[/quote]

The graphics are good... and I like them.

Yes those are separate things... I can actually like or dislike something that is "good" or "Bad"
  • Options
    jessned146jessned146 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I LOVE IT!! It has a combination of the Sims 2 & 3. But it is in a creation of its own. I kive it. The graphics soothe me and it is not too reakistic. Anything that is more realistic than the Sims 3 is GTA. And I would hate too see the day when The Sims loses its charm and become a copy and paste of another game. I like EAs direction And I can't wait for the latest update :lol:
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited November 2013
    As of right now? Bad, but that's my opinion.... I hope they improve!
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2013
    I was really expecting more realistic graphics not more heavy cartoon like graphics :roll:
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited November 2013
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    As of right now? Bad, but that's my opinion.... I hope they improve!

It's my opinion too. I don't mind cartoony but not to the depth it's at now. That is turning me off overall.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited November 2013
    I hope to see improvent in the style they're going for. To me right now it looks kind of like an Indie game. While I like some of those games I'm not paying 60 and up for them.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited November 2013
    momboqueen wrote:
    I hope to see improvent in the style they're going for. To me right now it looks kind of like an Indie game. While I like some of those games I'm not paying 60 and up for them.

But that's just the art style you're judging it on. They seem to be focusing more on the gameplay and details than graphics this time, which I'm really glad because looking back at 3, they didn't flesh out the ideas as much as they could have.
  • Options
    StephenTMStephenTM Posts: 908 Member
    edited November 2013
    The thing is... I liked the graphics at first. But over time I actually started to really dislike it. I hate it. So. Much.
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited November 2013
    momboqueen wrote:

But that's just the art style you're judging it on. They seem to be focusing more on the gameplay and details than graphics this time, which I'm really glad because looking back at 3, they didn't flesh out the ideas as much as they could have.

Well that was the topic question,lol. Anyway glad you like it and hope I do too by the time it's released.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like the graphics.

I think the first time I saw those early preview pictures my kneejerk reaction was along the lines of 'OMG what are EA doing!?' and I'll hold my hands up and admit that I was not impressed in the slightest because it looked so awful. Then I saw the actual trailer and gameplay demonstration and thought to myself 'You know what Darkslayer? This actually works.'

To be honest I never wanted the game to gravitate towards hyper-realism because I thought that would be a creepy step into uncanny valley and IMO a game like The Sims wouldn't suit the realistic graphics because as things become more realistic it also becomes harder to convey a character's emotions. The exaggerated style we've had up until this point would look downright freaky if applied to realistic graphics.

I am hoping that I'll be able to still make things look quite gritty and dark if I get the game though. I've seen it done before with these kind of 'cartoony / stylized' graphics so I know it's possible but whether EA will give us the tools to be able to do so is another matter.

I think graphics are never going to be something people agree on 100%. There are some people who prefer for things to look as realistic as possible and anything other than that is visually unappealing and then there are people like myself who gravitate towards different aesthetics and styles. Neither group is actually right or wrong, it's just a personal taste and I don't believe that you can actually change a person's individual taste.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't mind the body sizes of the Sim, the style, how they stand, how their body preportions are drawn set in 3D. What I do mind is the hair, the lack of seperate eyelashes, the fact there aren't any actual hairs in those brows, and or detail on the clothes.

The Sim looks like a Sim to me..however, the after thirteen years of playing I do wish they would improve on TS3's painted on brow..horrid.

Make better lashes for the TS3 Sim...omg..they are horrid too, even though they are separated and not one clump like in TS2 and TS4.

I have seen some amazing CC for TS2 and TS3 Sim lashes..why can't EA do that? All we need is maybe two meshes, you know.

Some of TS2's eyebrows are not all that great either. But some are, and I still use them..they seem to be feathery..you can see individual hairs in some of the brow meshes in TS2, later. Those were great and used by most of us until we learned how to make our own meshes. But yeah, the early ones weren't all that great..especially in red.

The problem I have today is what little detail is on/in the enviroments..those are bothersome for real. I am waiting to see if grass looks like grass or remains watercolor.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like it, the cartoon style make it easier to be humoristic game and also, the sims structure is much better from sims3 dumb pudding faces, i find that the new ones have one much more enjoyable visual .
    jr73Y.gif