Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cow & Llama species?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
I started a thread on chicken species in the game, but would also like to know more about the cows and llamas. Since we got only 2 versions of each, I'll combine them in this thread.

I know absolutely nothing about llamas, and not s much about cows either. Assuming there are a few races, that are preferred for different reasons. I want my game to be a tad realistic, as in using the right specie for large farm produce, and the right for the small cottage. Guess some cows are better milk cows, while others might score better on being friendly etc? Which one goes better in colder worlds (ie Windenburg) and which goes better in a hot spot like Oasis Springs or Sulani? How about llamas - what's the major differences between white and beige? Are they different or random?

Do we know if EA based their 2 versions on RL races/species?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited September 2021
    Here's an article on the different breeds of cows. Could probably google the different breeds for more information.

https://nayturr.com/types-of-cows/

Articles on llamas.

https://eartheclipse.com/animals/types-of-llamas.html

https://naturetingz.com/types-of-llamas/
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Thank you for the article links! Particularly liked the one on cows. Good basic info.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for the links @simgirl1010 ! I read about the llamas, embracing the cows later today :)

I get the feeling I'm pretty much alone bringing RL facts into my game like this. I realize farm animals see no borders if kept indoor like in larger farm establishments, but I thought some animal species would have climate preferences etc. Learned that some chicken think it's fine with little space to move, while others would easily fly over a fence, that some are better for eggs than meat, and that some go better with human (sim) kids than others. Maybe a cow is more a cow, after all we have only 2 color versions. In my game I want to find that either the white or the beige (added: llama) is better in cold/hot areas, as if the wool gets too hot (actually some chickens have preferences like this). Darker colors normally absorb more sun warmth (re exterior wall paint :) ), so I might go with white llamas being a better choice in hot worlds like Oasis Springs and Sulani.

Well, I'll just keep making my game more complicated than needed, LOL.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    @Simmerville I don't add quite as much realism to my game but I do enjoy reading about all your gameplay ideas. So please keep sharing. 🙂
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hm... the black/white spotted cow is obviously the Holstein Friesian. To my disappointment this cow also exists as brown/white, so because the game use the same mesh it's more than likely that both versions are Holstein.

I might pretend that the brown/white is the Ayrshire, it doesn't really look like it shape wise, but well, it gets too boring to me if both cows are the same specie, so then the decision is quite simple :)
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited September 2021
    If I had to guess, the brown one is probably meant to be a Jersey. Holsteins and jerseys are typically the two well known breeds for milk, and for good reason. Holstein is generally considered the milk quantity queen and the jersey is generally considered the milk quality queen (for the amount of cream content, but everyone has their own favorite breed they will espouse for so I am not going to die on the quality hill). However, like chickens, colors overlap. A lot. Especially with all the production (beef or dairy) hybrids.

As for llamas, I haven't encountered that many personally. Where I live it would most likely be a guard animal, but I tend to see donkeys instead. So I really am not too familiar with which are preferred for fiber farming.