Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chicken species?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
Do we know what RL birds EA based their 3 chicken on?

I know a white Italian bird called Leghorn is among the most used in the world, so I assume the white one might be Leghorn.

But the brown - is it a version of the Rhode Island Red?

The black, is it based on Australorp?

I had to google the subject as I had no knowledge on chicken, basically I found thee are a lot more species/races than I could dream of.

Why bother? Well, I'd hate my sim focusing on egg production, but using a bird that is intended for meat production ;) I'd also love to find out whether certain birds like cold/heat better, but I realize that most races might not actually have a natural preference as they are not exactly kept as wild birds...

Added: Here's a similar thread asking if EA based cows and llamas on RL races/species.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    The black chicken looks like an Ayan Cemani - a pure black chicken from Indonesia. They're black through and through, even their internal organs and bones! They are generally not a good egg layer, maybe one or two a week.

The brown looks like a Rhode Island Red or it could be a red Orpington. The white could also be a Orpington, they come in many colours. Orpingtons are kept for both meat and eggs, like RIR's.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    The black chicken looks like an Ayan Cemani - a pure black chicken from Indonesia. They're black through and through, even their internal organs and bones! They are generally not a good egg layer, maybe one or two a week.

The brown looks like a Rhode Island Red or it could be a red Orpington. The white could also be a Orpington, they come in many colours. Orpingtons are kept for both meat and eggs, like RIR's.

I'll never forget the first time I had soup that had black chicken in it!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't know about species, but the white ones are usually raised on farms for meat. The red ones are more common with small household keepers, they are good for both eggs and meat. In my experience, the black ones just randomly appear among the red, grey, and other colour chicks. 😁
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    Thanks for your input. If anyone else will share, I'm ready taking notes ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,462 Member
    Oh my, this is in-depth!
    The only kinda chickens I know are:
    • Chicken Drumstick
    • Chicken Thigh
    • Chicken Breast
    • Chicken Wings
    • A Whole Chicken.
    • The kind of chickens they breed at KFC and the likes? 🤔

I suppose I’m not much of a help here. 😇
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Considering they called them black chicken, brown chicken, etc. I'm sure they are probably production hybrids, which go by many names for similar or the same thing. There are a number of proper breeds, but they aren't what typically produces your food unless you have a hobby flock and you can stock a hobby flock with genuinely anything.

I have Blue Jersey Giants, Dominiques, and Russian Orloves in my flock, as well as some random layer mixes which I got a red hybrid, two white leghorns, two blue andalusians, and more I haven't identified. It's a shame they didn't have anything ornamental like silkies or polish.

As for the evil chicken, I can believe it is based on the Ayam Cemani, but everything including the comb is black on them so the black chicken itself is just a normal chicken. As for the golden chicken, like the evil chicken, I am hesitant to say it even is based on a breed but there are some really pretty light buff colored chickens. One I really like the look of are the Salmon Faverolles.
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    How cute would silkies have been? Or little bantams?🥺
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    awww no one posted pics. Great topic though.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    I downloaded the pack recently, but I haven't played with any of its features yet. I literally know nothing about it, but I knew right away that I had to have it. I got into chickens in real life last summer (in the middle of the pandemic) and I am in love! I can't see my life without chickens going forward; they are so much fun to watch, eggs are delicious, and several of mine are very sweet (pets). I had horses for years and my last horse died (sudden illness; he was also very old) last year and the chickens helped fill the farm animal void in my life.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    awww no one posted pics. Great topic though.

My Bard Rock Rooster from many (too many) years ago. Or did you mean sim pics. LOL

I also had leghorns Brown & White (great layers) Ameraucana (blue eggs) , Polish, Silkie & a colourful mix of Bantams. Somebody laid pinkish coloured eggs as well but not sure which one. Memory fades unfortunately

pPJlpfT.jpg
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Your barred rock is beautiful. I have three barred rock hens, one Swedish flower hen rooster named Henry, one Swedish flower hen Named Lil' miss, two easter Eggers Goldie and Ruby Jean, one cream legbar LunaBelle, and two golden cuckoo Maran named Lacey and Macey. I love my chickens they are awesome and so much fun.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    @RamblineRose A very Long time ago but he was a handsome devil. I really miss those days. Especially the fresh eggs. Never a dull moment with chickens, pigs, dogs, cats & of course horses. Oh my can't forget the geese they followed me around like I was Mother Goose. Even had one Canada which had been injured and we nursed "Willy" until we could set him "Free". Pun intended.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,546 Member
    All I know is that we had a Bandy Hen and Rooster when I was growing up. I think they were both brown, if memory serves.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/