Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Cars are More then likely Never Coming

Comments

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @logion That's great to hear your outlook on it all! People have already made good points in that not everyone walks or cycles everywhere IRL, and of course that some people do use public transport as well which could be expanded. A lot of people would find it more realistic and immersive and if that's what will improve some players' experiences, I can only hope they get what they've wanted for many years.

It would add some realism and immersion, but for me personally, not enough for me to badly want it in the game in TS4's current state. I can picture it being a three-to-five second scene of a vehicle driving off before a loading screen kicks in. I'd only fully enjoy vehicle travel if the game was open-world, but I can imagine open-world TS4 being even more buggy and adding to lag issues, so I'm not desperate for it at all.

(Considering how popular wanting vehicles back is, I feel there's a good chance folks are going to take what I've said the wrong way, so I want to make it clear: these are just my personal views on the matter, and how they affect my playstyle. Other people's wants and playstyles are going to differ to mine and that's obviously completely fine. )

And I understand as well.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Motorcycles and go-cart races! I wonder if we could upgrade our racers once our handiness is high enough?

I'd love go-karts for all ages, children and up. Even better if we could make and upgrade our own and race them.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I remember a time when people speculated about things like toddlers, pets and seasons never making it into the game due to 'limitations'. I'm sure there are plethora of creative options to implement cars in the game with the way it currently is. Just because cars likely won't function in a certain (or desired) way doesn't mean they won't come at all. Yes, there is a possibility cars (if added) might function completely independently from the roads in the worlds and instead function purely as an interactive object on the lot with a couple of animations/interactions (like sims 2). Would some players be disappointed with these compromises? Maybe. Would those same players rather not have cars at all? I have no idea.

I acknowledge that if we ever get cars that they probably won't be the same as they were in Sims 3, but I don't care, I don't need cars to function the way they did in the previous games.
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    Thanks @logion and @Gamer_34567544 for the understanding and reassurance.
    I try to be as tentative as possible when talking about my own playstyle, wishes etc. But I also find it hard to be clear sometimes, so I worry people might think I’m not being mindful of others and their outlooks on the game. I don’t want anyone thinking I’m one of those ‘people must agree with me! ME!’ types.

@filipomel You’re right, things that we thought we’d never get, we ended up with eventually. I feel like vehicles will be added in the game, but I can’t say for sure when since it’s been a popular thing some players have wanted since TS4 came out. And you’re right in that things added to TS4 don’t necessarily have to function the same way they did in those old games. I know me saying that contradicts what I said earlier about ‘I’d only enjoy vehicles if it was like TS3 with the open world’ but you do have a point!
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2021
    At this stage in TS4's life I'm over wanting cars. But I've always wanted "transportation" of some kind.....
    • Taxi's pulling up outside your house - Your sim gets into the taxi and then hits the loading screen
    • Bus stops - Sim click the bus stop sign to "call" the bus, gets inside the bus once it arrives, boom .... loading screen)
    • School buses - School Bus either stops at a corner in the neighborhood and sim kids walk to it, gets on and poofs, or the school bus pulls up outside of the house, kid gets in and poofs
    • Carpools for Work - Always loved seeing the progression of better cars as you raised up in your career ladder.

So yeah, I don't necessarily want cars to "drive" because to me it's pretty pointless, there's so many worlds that don't have roads or there's big bodies of water/rivers with no bridge to drive over, etc.

Having a "Mechanic" career to work on cars would be great tho.

But if I was given the choice to only pick one of these 2 things to be added to the game:
    1. Build Our Own Apartments In Any World
    2. Have Cars Sims Could Drive In

Building Apartments would win hands down.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Good idea! School buses can have one stop per neighbourhood. Public transport can be functional, taxis can arrive on the front of the lots. Anyway, EA is one of the biggest companies in the world so they have enough money and possibilities to implement functional cars and transport in TS4
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited August 2021
    They've been changing worlds since Sims3. They changed the world for workable water and festivals in all worlds. In Sims4, it has been the new hood tags especially for Eco and water is changing slowly.
    I tend to think they are. The gurus said in a Livestream they hear us on cars and generations. I believe their being worked on right now and the hints we have been getting on cars are numorous. Cottage Living added some new vehicles that we didn't have before in buydebug. Also we've got boats,bikes and a spaceship. Vehicles that could mean cars are coming. Cars don't necesseraly need roads to work. They could use teleportation. They may also choose to make cars be available only in certain worlds. I"m not giving up hope yet.

Everyone should know by now that if they don't plan on doing it or can't that they come right out and say it for the Sims4. The fact that they said the opposite and have put hints in like the billboards, the cottage living reference to automobiles in it's name, and all the car decor seems to indicate they will come. They already have the car looks in many of our worlds,; they just need animation and roads which they've probably been working on for a long time.

Since Sims4 seems to work more like Sims2 instead of it's superior Sims3, cars will probably be like they were implemented back in the old days of Sims2.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited August 2021
    Theres a car hint in the new kit. In the description for the object called "Pipe Dream". The part just before and in quotations especially gives me car vibes.

Description: By the time I hit the top step of my second floor loft, they had been relentlessly chasing me on foot for nearly 5 blocks. I jammed my key in the door. Twisting it to the right, it sprung to life with a mighty roar. I bolted inside slamming the door behind me. Clutching the pipe wheel with both hands, I threw my trusty loft in to drive and floored it, leaving them behind in the dust. As the cool night air rushed through my hair from the open patio door, I thought to myself - "Yeah, this loft handles like a dream. Too bad its a pain to park."
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    edited September 2021
    Would a car make sense in a City Living apartment or the sands of Sulani? No. It would take to much reworking of the game to create a Sims 2 or Sims 3 experience. Not every neighbourhood has roads. If all you want is a car that teleports away, I can understand that, but it would be quite a lot to rework existing neighbourhoods to get cars that drive. They'd basically have to use all one pack's worth of funds to redo a whole world and the only way they would implement it to make money would be to do another My First Pet Stuff Pack fiasco. Do you really want to buy several separate packs just to get cars implemented into each world? One pack for the BG, one pack for CL, one pack for GF, one pack for GT, etc.? If you're happy putting in a car landing-pad, so to speak, that can teleport cars in and out like the rocket landing pad, that's all well and good, but there's nowhere in most 'hoods for cars to drive.

Also, there probably are cars when you put build/buy cheats on.
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    I think the problem is that many of us when we think cars think of their main function: driving from A to B on a given road. Everything else you don't really need a car for. Simmers can easily open up the map menu by pressing "m" or clicking the button. It's very easy to find cheap homes for sims with little cash (look up "Lilsimsie"). Other than some new weird place to woohoo, cars wouldn't really improve game quality for me. They just make no sense when roads aren't properly set up for them. And even if we do get décor cars, you're not going to get a school bus, taxi or police car spawn on the grass outside your lot, because it wouldn't look realistic. This isn't some cheap tacky mobile game where those graphics would make sense. This is a mainline PC and console game where the expectation would be to have a car that you can drive on a track. and Sims 4 worlds just aren't designed for cars on a track.

Even if they implement them in future worlds, not every world or hood would be able to have them, because it would take away from the quality set-dressed lots we have. The cars feature would only work a certain way and would only satisfy a certain niche group of players. You wouldn't get to drive them AND sleep AND woohoo in them. They'd just be like the rocket combined with the woohoo bush, the latter of which I don't understand whatsoever. Leave the Sims team to implement the core designs and go looking for mods if you want a different "skin" of a current object. And also, they literally make car games for people who need the car experience. What they DON'T make are werewolf simulators. Or fairy simulators for that matter.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited September 2021
    Toz91 wrote: »
    And even if we do get décor cars, you're not going to get a school bus, taxi or police car spawn on the grass outside your lot, because it wouldn't look realistic. This isn't some cheap tacky mobile game where those graphics would make sense. This is a mainline PC and console game where the expectation would be to have a car that you can drive on a track. and Sims 4 worlds just aren't designed for cars on a track.

But you’re right, it is very realistic to see a person *poof* & vanish just beyond their front lawn. My neighbors do it all the time whenever they go to work or school. One moment little Timmy is there, next moment he’s gone. GONE! That kid makes me chuckle every-time he plays that trick on me.
    I myself have a car that teleports me to work. It’s pretty cool. I’d love to do that in The Sims 4.
    The cars feature would only work a certain way and would only satisfy a certain niche group of players.
    This would be a great time to satisfy that niche group of players. A great time indeed.
    You wouldn't get to drive them AND sleep AND woohoo in them. They'd just be like the rocket combined with the woohoo bush, the latter of which I don't understand whatsoever.
    True, to drive & sleep & woohoo in a car at the same time would be some amount of multitasking. I’d usually do Drive —>Woohoo —> Sleep, in that order. Some might choose to do it the other way around, or omit one. I’d say it will work great in the game.
    And what’s the issue with that bush? It’s always been there for my sim when he needed it. The bush understands, and that’s the main thing.
    Leave the Sims team to implement the core designs and go looking for mods if you want a different "skin" of a current object.
    Yes! Can’t wait for CC creators to make us some beautiful car skins once we get our functional cars in The Sims 4. Awesomeness galore. ❤️
    And also, they literally make car games for people who need the car experience.
    They literally make cars for folks to drive in. In actual factories. Why even play a game? So Silly. Just drive one.
    What they DON'T make are werewolf simulators. Or fairy simulators for that matter.
    Hmm…🤔 That’d be too realistic perhaps? I wouldn’t go there in The Sims 4.
    Sure Folks can literally go to the local Costume Emporium and get a werewolf suit or buy a bunch of fairy wings to simulate the life of an occult on a daily basis. Werewolf people even get a full moon once a month, because Fun fact: The moon exists.
    Why bother putting such things in a game for a bunch of niche players? I can’t even.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2021
    Out of 16 worlds that are currently in the game (not counting destination worlds) I think 11 worlds could work if you want to animate a car driving away from a lot on a road in the neighborhood. (assuming that the car spawns on the road when you travel)

Worlds that could work:
    Willow Creek - Works really well.
    Oasis Springs - Same here, all neighborhoods have roads.
    Newcrest - All neighborhoods have roads.
    Magnolia Promenade - Could work, the inner area is closed off though.
    Forgotten Hollow - Should work.
    Brindleton Bay -The only neighborhood that doesn't work is Deadgrass Isle.
    Strangerville - Works very well, especially Shady Acres.
    Glimmerbrook - Works really well.
    Del Sol Valley - Works pretty well except Starlight Boulevard which is closed off for traffic.
    Evergreen Harbor - Works really well, which is surprising.
    Mt. Komorebi - Wakaba and Senbamachi could maybe work in my opinion.

Worlds where it would not work well:
    San Myshuno - The only neighborhood that could maybe work is the spice market which does have a road for cars.
    Sulani - Doesn't work well at all. Ohan'ali Town could maybe work but it's closed off for traffic.
    Windenburg - Windslar works really well but the rest of the world are mostly areas that are meant for walking.
    Britechester - Gibbs Hill could maybe work, the other neighborhoods seems more suited for walking or using the bicycle.
    Henford on Bagley - Old new henford could maybe work.
  • Options
    Vanesa1118Vanesa1118 Posts: 38 Member
    I think cars could work perfectly fine like they did in the sims 2. They would simply ride off at the end of the neighborhood, which is fine by me.
    Of course you dont need a car in Sulani or in Island in Winderburg, San Myshuno or any other area where its logical you wont drive car. Perhaps they could add a scooter for those types of neighborhoods.
    I really dont get it why people who dont want cars spend so much time explaining or trying to persuade those who want that is impossible. Let us hope, jeez
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited September 2021
    Paralee wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly !! I wouldn't find it weird if there were no cars in Sulani for instance. Or San myshuno.
    Onverser wrote: »
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it

They could use cars in some worlds only that make sense for cars.

I think it would add more realism tbh. More consequence too. You'd actually have to put more thought in to where you live and whether the infrastructure supports the life you envision for yourself.

Also more and more downtown areas of major cities are limiting car access and creating car free zones lol

How cool would it be if they had ferry’s ( car carriers ) between the islands, and the island in Windenburg and such too. I’d love to see that. Busses would be good too, especially if you could see you sim walk into the bus, and come out of the bus.

I assume if you live some where cars can’t go, the car could end up in your inventory temporarily. Maybe they could refreshes some world packs, like for instance they could put garages under the apartments in city living, which you could enter and leave.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited September 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Paralee wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly !! I wouldn't find it weird if there were no cars in Sulani for instance. Or San myshuno.
    Onverser wrote: »
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it

They could use cars in some worlds only that make sense for cars.

I think it would add more realism tbh. More consequence too. You'd actually have to put more thought in to where you live and whether the infrastructure supports the life you envision for yourself.

Also more and more downtown areas of major cities are limiting car access and creating car free zones lol

How cool would it be if they had ferry’s ( car carriers ) between the islands, and the island in Windenburg and such too. I’d love to see that. Busses would be good too, especially if you could see you sim walk into the bus, and come out of the bus.

I assume if you live some where cars can’t go, the car could end up in your inventory temporarily. Maybe they could refreshes some world packs, like for instance they could put garages under the apartments in city living, which you could enter and leave.

The ferry thing would be cool. For about 2 years i lived on an island and we often made visits to my partners family on the mainland, and the ferry was the only way on and off. It actually presented some challenges too. We ended up moving back because one of our issues was we couldnt afford the constant back and forth on a ferry, we arent self sufficient enough I guess hahahahaha That would make living-off-the-land sims cooler too. Island Living would be a bit more fun if they needed those boats we got to get between islands. Being a mermaid would be more meaningful too cause you wouldnt need a boat.

In either sims 3 or sims 2 or both, if your sim drove somewhere that had no parking spots available the car would go in the inventory too so thats definitely workable.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited September 2021
    Initially, I was perfectly content when they added bikes to the game and didn’t really think much about the lack of cars. Having the Spa Day refresh helped me see the possible. I do want cars in the game because I want my guy Sims to have more to do.

Motor Speedway was included in a poll I did. A Motor Speedway World would be the perfect opportunity to introduce cars.

Motor Speedway World
    • Race around tracks as you build your skills to enter and win the SimsD500. Be careful, because this might be the last race you enter.
    • Build Cars
    • Repair Cars
    • Gas Stations
    • Car Dealerships
    • Mechanics – Visit a repair shop or become a mechanic
    • Model car, train, airplane kits that parents can build with their children
    • Build operational electric drivable toddler cars

Sims-4-Cars.jpg

Buildable model cars
    Model_cars.jpg

Buildable Toddler cars
    Toy_Car.jpg
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    sourapfelsourapfel Posts: 18 Member
    Well, purely from coding/development standpoint, nothing is impossible. If you have the resources and time and dedication, that is.

I wish they would implement cars but I don't think it's on their priority list despite them saying they "hear us".
    If they're ever introduced it will probably be either limited to a new world or in a very basic version like in TS2.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Are you this funny in real life because sometimes your comments are so hilarious?
    Toz91 wrote: »
    And even if we do get décor cars, you're not going to get a school bus, taxi or police car spawn on the grass outside your lot, because it wouldn't look realistic. This isn't some cheap tacky mobile game where those graphics would make sense. This is a mainline PC and console game where the expectation would be to have a car that you can drive on a track. and Sims 4 worlds just aren't designed for cars on a track.

But you’re right, it is very realistic to see a person *poof* & vanish just beyond their front lawn. My neighbors do it all the time whenever they go to work or school. One moment little Timmy is there, next moment he’s gone. GONE! That kid makes me chuckle every-time he plays that trick on me.
    I myself have a car that teleports me to work. It’s pretty cool. I’d love to do that in The Sims 4.
    And also, they literally make car games for people who need the car experience.
    They literally make cars for folks to drive in. In actual factories. Why even play a game? So Silly. Just drive one.
    What they DON'T make are werewolf simulators. Or fairy simulators for that matter.
    Hmm…🤔 That’d be too realistic perhaps? I wouldn’t go there in The Sims 4.
    Sure Folks can literally go to the local Costume Emporium and get a werewolf suit or buy a bunch of fairy wings to simulate the life of an occult on a daily basis. Werewolf people even get a full moon once a month, because Fun fact: The moon exists.
    Why bother putting such things in a game for a bunch of niche players? I can’t even.

tenor.gif

I know right🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    The devs never said the Cars were never coming to Sims 4, just not soon.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I'm guessing it is more of an issue of how much gameplay we would get vs how much development work it would take to implement, especially when there are other priorities for the game.

In the Sims 1 and 2, cars were necessary to leave the lot (either as taxi, carpool or private car) until Bon Voyage added a walk to lot self interaction. In both cases, the road was also part of each lot itself and programmed into it.

In the Sims 3, they were necessary due to the size of the world vs the speed of time, which necessitated a car even for short distances like the end of the street. However, they were very basic, and offered ZERO gameplay beyond being a magical slot car that sims would teleport into. Honestly, I'd rather not have cars in game if they are implemented like Sims 3. I like that sims actually mount and dismount bicycles, and it looks like they are actually pedalling them, whereas in 3, the bikes were slot cars that pedalled the sim riding them. Way too much stuff in the Sims 3, especially the store content, involved sims teleporting into place, I'd rather they avoid that as much as possible.

If they are just going to be essentially decorative, they would be completely pointless. Sure they could dedicate time and resources to rework every single world to allow for cars, but there has to be a gameplay benefit beyond "it looks nice" or "it's realistic" for that to happen.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Are you this funny in real life because sometimes your comments are so hilarious?

Hilarious?
    But I'm being serious.

B72-DCD6-C-78-BE-4-BBE-980-D-D4-DF1-E11-D37-C.gif

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I wouldn't completely give up on it.
    They did have car life as part of a survey for packs. They were at least considering it.
    Something like that would take some time to figure out. Or they may have figured it's impossible for them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I think they could still add cars. Even Sulani had “a” road. Cars could park on the side then have sims walk to their destination. I think it would work best if we had other transit options though. For example, in Sulani it would make more sense to have a ferry instead of cars. In San Myshuno a subway or buses would be great transit options.
  • Options
    HazellyHazelly Posts: 38 Member
    > @AuronoiChieftain said:
    > With all honesty, I definitely want more Locomotion options for sims, the Speed regular sims run at can at times feel to slow (especially when exploring Salvedorada). But I beleive that cars are never coming in any function other then Décor because of the limitations of the worlds, not necessarily because it would be hard to implement, but some worlds and neighborhoods are just completely impractical for car routing of any kind (all neighborhoods of Sulani, the starter neighborhood in Newcrest, even the neighborhoods of Mount Komorebi), basically they would have to completely redesign all livable neighborhoods designs AND routing. But I don't think Motorized Vehicles are completely out, Mopeds and Motorcycles are much more feasible then cars, because they can use similar mechanics to bicycles, and probably would be faster then them too (especially motorcycles), plus there could be other forms as well, like skateboards or even the Hoverboard (like the one from TS3 Into the Future). We pretty much have to be honest with ourselves, a Dynamic like cars, especially fleshed out ones like some peoples concepts are, they would have to do something that would be placed and used on any lot, and lets face it, virtually all lots in the Sims 4 don't have direct access to a street, plus do you want to drive your sports car on the Key Point lot in Sulani.

I think Ir cars do come then they'll probably be considered a decorative prop for photos more than actual gameplay mostly because of the losing screens or they'll be a quick zoom which you barely have enough time to process.
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited October 2021
    The point that cars wouldn't work because the worlds wouldn't support them doesn't work because the team would obviously make a world that does support them. Just like the ability to swim in oceans, they added that in Sulani and then started making worlds after Sulani that supported swimming in bodies of water. I don't see how cars would be any different. Then secondly, they could be used as a somewhat more immersive way of initiating a loading screen like in TS2. It's a little easier to imagine your Sim is just on the road rather than literally jogging from one world to another.

Then there's all the other uses for cars besides locomotion. The idea could work. However, the only problem I do see with cars is that what's most likely going to happen is the other worlds before cars will never support them because of their layouts, so it'll be jarring seeing that your Sim kind of jogs to most worlds and drives to others.

I want to preface that I actually couldn't care less if cars come to the game or not. To me, I'd rather that all worlds support cars or none of them. But if they come, cool, and that the above is what's most likely going to occur.