Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Cars are More then likely Never Coming

Comments

• Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited August 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it

They could use cars in some worlds only that make sense for cars.

In Despicable Me 2, Lucy’s car turns into an underwater vehicle. 😎

Perhaps something that turns into the most suitable thing depending which world visited?
    Although that would mean more animations so would that happen? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    masatsim wrote: »
    I think maybe they give us the "Can own cars" lot trait and we can see when building if there's possible to own a car if our sims live in that residential lot or travel by car if its a community lot. I can even see them adding parking spaces on San Myshuno.

I think a lot of us don't want the cars for traveling reasons only, but we want the gameplay that comes with cars, like repairing an old car, new woohoo, police and fire deparment cars/trucks, etc. Most simmers want more family gameplay and cars would be a perfect opportunity to bring it.

I want cars for both reasons.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it

Perhaps something that turns into the most suitable thing depending which world visited?

There are 3 worlds boats can be used in now so why not cars in some worlds only?
  • Options
    edited August 2021

There are 3 worlds boats can be used in now so why not cars in some worlds only?

I just thought it would be easier to have one vehicle that transforms depending on the world you visit.
    No roads? It’s a dirt bike 🚴 .
    Only water? Ski jet!
    Alien world? hover car.

Separate vehicles should be available for those that don’t want a transforming car etc.

• Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    I think the biggest problem with cars is that the developers don't know how to make them 'great'.

After so many years of waiting, cars would have to be driveable, at least. Clicking a car and entering a rabbit hole just won't cut it. However, the game in its current state doesn't support driveable cars in the slightest.

Adding a world with functional roads brings problems of its own. For one, the world would have to be BIG. Even the biggest world doesn't offer enough space for a sim to drive a car around for a considerable amount of time. Sims can jog from one edge of a neighborhood to the other in less than one sim hour. Cars are much faster, so unless you want a really slow car on a winding road that takes up half the neighborhood, the neighborhood would have to be huge to support cars that are faster than a jog. Which would be a hog on resources. It would also be a very barren world, as everything has to be loaded before you enter the neighborhood, so shell houses and trees, etc. would be more spread out. Which means the main feature of the world would be the roads... sound fun, doesn't it?

Also, if they do this, the uselessness of the roads in other worlds will become more glaring if they don't make them functional, as well. "This lot is connected to a road, why can't I use cars on this lot." If they can't even make the beaches functional in other worlds, then how would they ever get the roads to work? Or parking spaces, for that matter?

BUT- what if they made cars objects instead? Sims could woohoo in the car, or increase their handiness on the fixer-upper. Well, in that case, you've got a very expensive woohoo location that also serves as a crafting station that doesn't craft anything. Nevermind that if cars don't come with their own expansion pack, people will start crying about 'the best cars they could have ever had', but they're not getting them because the devs lazily patched in a deco item.

See how they really can't win this?

That said, I'd be fine with deco cars. If they patched a few into the base game and maybe added in a garage door, as well, that'd be great. I just think a lot of people would be unhappy if they did that.

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I would like to see a whole car EP with a race track, maybe an imitation of a popular one. Fix and upgrade cars, become a mechanic or racecar driver? And being able to travel in a car rather than calling to travel somewhere.

There's a lot of skills that could come from all this, from repairs and restoration to painting, to working the computers on newer cars. Maybe add a radio speaking/singing career and skill?

At least it would make things come alive.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly !! I wouldn't find it weird if there were no cars in Sulani for instance. Or San myshuno.

I think it would add more realism tbh. More consequence too. You'd actually have to put more thought in to where you live and whether the infrastructure supports the life you envision for yourself.

Also more and more downtown areas of major cities are limiting car access and creating car free zones lol
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2021
    Car will probably be like Apartment and Beach/Swimmable area, a specific gameplay for specific worlds.
    Because the cars can't exist without a functional area.

None of the existing worlds are optimized for this task (garage, parking, …).
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly !! I wouldn't find it weird if there were no cars in Sulani for instance. Or San myshuno.

In which worlds could have boats or taxis added or they could add in places to park your Sims car in the City Living world
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Imagine if the sims team tweeted something like this.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Imagine if the sims team tweeted something like this.

Stop teasing! :D
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want cars in my world. I like having my Sims be healthy and walk everywhere.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want cars in my world. I like having my Sims be healthy and walk everywhere.

But they aren't walking are they? They are going to the end of street or sometimes right outside their front door and transporting. And the 'walk' adds nothing to fitness and health. That just you projecting it's healthier. It's not healthier for some elderly folks in 101 degree weather. :) My Sims need a car with air conditioning.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I will join you in that minority so you don’t feel so alone. I don’t see the point of cars. It would just basically be another kind of loading screen, with scenery whizzing by 🤷🏼‍♀️. I just head canon that they’re catching the trolley/streetcar 🚃 in Willow Creek & Newcrest, in other worlds I just pretend they’re taking a bus, cab, Uber etc. in my game a loading screen lasts between 15 and 45 seconds depending how bloated my save is so they aren’t a real hardship for me, and as many have said most of the worlds aren’t designed for cars. It just seems like a ton of work for almost no reward since I am sure tons of people will wind up complaining they don’t like the way they were implemented anyway.
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2021
    I will join you in that minority so you don’t feel so alone. I don’t see the point of cars. It would just basically be another kind of loading screen, with scenery whizzing by 🤷🏼‍♀️. I just head canon that they’re catching the trolley/streetcar 🚃 in Willow Creek & Newcrest, in other worlds I just pretend they’re taking a bus, cab, Uber etc.
    Same here! I usually just imagine they're taking a bus or taxi or if they're off to Sulani, Mt Komorebi etc. they're getting a plane or something. I also agree with the loading screen thing.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »

But they aren't walking are they? They are going to the end of street or sometimes right outside their front door and transporting. And the 'walk' adds nothing to fitness and health. That just you projecting it's healthier. It's not healthier for some elderly folks in 101 degree weather. :) My Sims need a car with air conditioning.
    😂.
    True they just go outside and vanish.

They could introduce power walking to raise fitness? 🏋🏼🤔

I really wish they did walk at least to the edge of the neighbourhood before disappearing, like the walkbys.

I wouldn’t mind a subway rabbit hole they go inside rather than just vanish outside their house.
    In Sims 3 subways 🚆 were with Late Night and you set up destination points, some already existed in Bridgeport 🌃. They weren’t big so they could be patched into most worlds. Most neighbourhoods have a communal space that each lot can access.

Although Sulani and holiday worlds would need something.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    That just you projecting it's healthier.

And this is an issue...why? If that's what it adds to @Rouensims 's personal playing experience, and if that's what they believe in their game, then that's fine. We all have to realise that people have different ways we like to play the game. Some people don't think too much into something like that, others like to think more into it. Both are fine. < 3
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    I will join you in that minority so you don’t feel so alone. I don’t see the point of cars. It would just basically be another kind of loading screen, with scenery whizzing by 🤷🏼‍♀️. I just head canon that they’re catching the trolley/streetcar 🚃 in Willow Creek & Newcrest, in other worlds I just pretend they’re taking a bus, cab, Uber etc.
    Same here! I usually just imagine they're taking a bus or taxi or if they're off to Sulani, Mt Komorebi etc. they're getting a plane or something. I also agree with the loading screen thing.

I would like to believe that, but since there are no buses, subway stations or taxis there is a little too much pretending there for my liking.

They did add buses and bus stations to Cottage Living but they didn't really do much with it.
  • Options
    Aw, man, I want cars! Even just to drive in and nothing else. Why should we have to make a phone call to travel everywhere?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'd like cars as a fixer-uper project/new woohoo spot/different interface to get to the map, but I don't care if my sims can drive around the world(s) in them. It doesn't bother me either way, though. If we get them, great. If not, I'm good with how things are now.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @logion That's great to hear your outlook on it all! People have already made good points in that not everyone walks or cycles everywhere IRL, and of course that some people do use public transport as well which could be expanded. A lot of people would find it more realistic and immersive and if that's what will improve some players' experiences, I can only hope they get what they've wanted for many years.

It would add some realism and immersion, but for me personally, not enough for me to badly want it in the game in TS4's current state. I can picture it being a three-to-five second scene of a vehicle driving off before a loading screen kicks in. I'd only fully enjoy vehicle travel if the game was open-world, but I can imagine open-world TS4 being even more buggy and adding to lag issues, so I'm not desperate for it at all.

(Considering how popular wanting vehicles back is, I feel there's a good chance folks are going to take what I've said the wrong way, so I want to make it clear: these are just my personal views on the matter, and how they affect my playstyle. Other people's wants and playstyles are going to differ to mine and that's obviously completely fine. )
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    They have a Fast Lane pack in TS3. Wonder if they could do something like that?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @logion That's great to hear your outlook on it all! People have already made good points in that not everyone walks or cycles everywhere IRL, and of course that some people do use public transport as well. A lot of people would find it more realistic and immersive and if that's what will improve some players' experiences, I can only hope they get what they've wanted for many years.

It would add some realism and immersion, but for me personally, not enough for me to badly want it in the game in TS4's current state. I can picture it being a three-to-five second scene of a vehicle driving off before a loading screen kicks in. I'd only fully enjoy vehicle travel if the game was open-world, but I can imagine open-world TS4 being even more buggy and adding to lag issues, so I'm not desperate for it at all.

(Considering how popular wanting vehicles back is, I feel there's a good chance folks are going to take what I've said the wrong way, so I want to make it clear: these are just my personal views on the matter, and how they affect my playstyle. Other people's wants and playstyles are going to differ to mine and that's obviously completely fine. I'm an adult; I don't get mad about people playing a game differently to me < 3 )

Don't worry, I understand that people want different things for the sims 4 and that everyone plays the game differently.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I'd love a golf buggy to drive across those huge 64x64 lots.
  • Options
    Motorcycles and go-cart races! I wonder if we could upgrade our racers once our handiness is high enough?