Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plants are still reverting. :(

Comments

• Options
    ilyahnailyahna Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello. My plants continue to revert to dirt piles. :(

Details: Updated to latest version. I have all expansions, packs, etc. I do not have mods (not a one). There does not seem to be a pattern to when this happens (i.e. leaving and returning to the lot). The plants reverting are outside and IN SEASON. Every plant on the lot does this at the same time.

I love gardening in this game and look forward to the day when this is fixed.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @ilyahna get reward points for free services and hire a gardener. Then you can focus on harvesting & evolving. Plants don't revert when gardeners care for them. Also use bees to fertilize.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    ilyahna wrote: »
    Hello. My plants continue to revert to dirt piles. :(

Details: Updated to latest version. I have all expansions, packs, etc. I do not have mods (not a one). There does not seem to be a pattern to when this happens (i.e. leaving and returning to the lot). The plants reverting are outside and IN SEASON. Every plant on the lot does this at the same time.

I love gardening in this game and look forward to the day when this is fixed.

Gosh, I was hoping downloading cottage living would fix the plants reverting, I know there are several things that make my plants revert. I haven’t bought cottage living yet, but have all the others packs. I don’t use mods or CC…… so this is quite disappointing to me. I play a rotational game from 2014 ( with save as ). I just wish they could uncomplicate the plants and get them to work right…..
  • Options
    empkaileenaempkaileena Posts: 21 Member
    I started playing a new save with cottage living. First few ingame weeks no issues. Now everything reverts. Even while being on the lot. Sick and tired of this company that constantly takes my money and deliver me more bugs and crap. When will I teach myself to accept this game is so broken and beyond repiar and just move on to something else.... I feel like such a donkey.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't have Seasons or Eco-living, but my plants are not reverting anymore. I have yet to update to this new Cottage Living patch and subsequent bug fix one though. 😬
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Since CL the issue has gotten worse. The Oversized crops are pushing the average crops under the bus. The solution isn't a new save it's EA fixing the issue and doing proper testing.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I will shed some more light on the revert to dirtpile "bug".

It mainly seems to come from the evolution commodity, which can have values between 0 and 100, while 0 means the plant will be death, 0-20 will mean the plant will have reverted to a dirth pile because it didn't get enough love, anything between 20 and 99 is neutral and then there is 100 where you will be able to evolve a plant.

Evolution is mainly achieved by fertilizing a plant.
    I mean bees will help you a little with evolution, but that is really just a tiny tad per day.
    Plants will also evolve on their own as time goes by.
    Fertilizing gets up you plants evolution status quite a bit. How much will mainly depend on the worth of the fertilizer. Quality does NOT matter. So if you want your plants to evolve fast and stay healthy, there is no use in fertilizing them with that §1 simoleon sage you harvested somewhere in the woods. The maximum effect is achieved at a value of 50 Simoleons or more (pet poop will also provide for a maximum fertilizer effect).
    You have to be careful though. You can only weed one plant with one fertilizer. If you click on all of your plants in a row and fertilize them with dog poop (for instance), only the first plant will actually fertilized properly. This has been an issue since the base game release. The game is unable to stack up more than one fertilize interactions of the same fertilizer, so be aware that your plants will not be evolved if you fertilize like that. I guess that is the main reason people experience their plants decaying despite fertilizing them regularly (or they think they are).
    My workaround is to choose different types of fertilizer for each line up. If I have 6 plants in the queue for my sim to fertilize, I need to choose 6 different types of fertilizer. Otherwise it will not work, even though you see the Sim go fertilizing every plant and lure you into everything being all right.

Let's move on to Eco Footprint.

There is a tuning file called loot_EcoFootprint_Gardening_ToNeutralSetQuality. This will have the effect hat every time your EcoFootprint reverts to Neutral (in an unmodded game, that is quite often the case) every single one of your plants will decay in evolution by at least 10 points if it has at least 20 evolution points. Plants will also have a 50 percent chance to get an hit of 30 points if is higher in evolution quality. They will never receive a hit that lets them go down to 0, but as you can see - with max fertilizer giving you a boost of 45 points in evolution and very low quality fertilizer by 7,5 points - your plant will very easily be pushed below that 20 points mark I mentioned earlier and - poof - revert to dirth.

So there's that. EA could avoid this issue by changing the loot so that the plant will never revert below 20. For those into tuning, the loot to achieve that would look like this, the bolded parts beeing the ones that need changing (just skip if you're confused and read on afterwards):
    <L n="loot_actions">
    <V t="statistics">
    <V n="statistics" t="statistic_change">
    <U n="statistic_change">
    <T n="advertise">False</T>
    <T n="amount">-10</T>
    <U n="chance">
    <T n="base_chance">100</T>
    </U>
    <T n="exclusive_to_owning_si">False</T>
    <T n="stat">39327<!--commodity_Gardening_Evolution--></T>
    <L n="tests">
    <L>
    <V t="statistic">
    <U n="statistic">
    <V n="threshold" t="value_threshold">
    <U n="value_threshold">
    <E n="comparison">GREATER</E>
    <T n="value">31</T>
    </U>
    </V>
    </U>
    </V>
    </L>
    </L>
    </U>
    </V>
    </V>
    <V t="statistics">
    <U n="statistic_change">
    <T n="amount">-30</T>
    <U n="chance">
    <T n="base_chance">50</T>
    </U>
    <L n="tests">
    <L>
    <V t="statistic">
    <U n="statistic">
    <U n="value_threshold">
    <T n="value">51</T>
    </U>
    </V>
    </U>
    </V>
    </L>
    </L>
    </U>
    </V>
    </V>
    <V t="statistics">
    <U n="statistic_change">
    <T n="amount">-50</T>
    <U n="chance">
    <T n="base_chance">25</T>
    </U>
    <L n="tests">
    <L>
    <V t="statistic">
    <U n="statistic">
    <U n="value_threshold">
    <T n="value">71</T>
    </U>
    </V>
    </U>
    </V>
    </L>
    </L>
    </U>
    </V>
    </V>
    </L>
    <L n="tests">
    <L>
    <V t="statistic">
    <U n="statistic">
    <U n="value_threshold">
    <T n="value">1</T>
    </U>
    </V>
    </U>
    </V>
    </L>
    </L>

Another thing I noticed in the tuning is that the tuning file ecoFootprint_Gardening_Green will actually not increase the growth of your plant, but decrease it by 37,5 %, while industrial footprint (ecoFootprint_Gardening_Industrial) will increase plant growth by 25 %. I think that might be unintentional and should probably be the other way round. At least the lot trait great soil does increase growth by 1.1 %.
    Growth also has a status beetween 0 and 100, and while 100 means your plants are blossoming, they will revert to planted status if the hit the mark of 2.1 points.

If you noticed your pomegranates reverting to dirt piles before they could even be harvested, you now see where that comes from - especially if you are playing on a lot with green eco footprint or if you have eco footprint disabled.

Another thing you have to bear in mind is that your indoor plants will evole 50% slower than your outdoor plants.
    Can be found in each plant obejct tuning:
    <U>
    <T n="key">184159<!--Gardening_EffectiveSeason_Indoors--></T>
    <U n="value">
    <V n="autonomy_modifiers" t="apply_new_value">
    <V n="apply_new_value" t="apply_statistic_modifiers">
    <U n="apply_statistic_modifiers">
    <L n="autonomy_modifiers">
    <U>
    <L n="decay_modifiers">
    <U>
    <T n="key">39327<!--commodity_Gardening_Evolution--></T>
    <T n="value">0.5</T>

So having an indoor garden will mean you have to fertilize more often or with better quality and your plants are more prone to revert to dirt piles if you don't. Again, don't rely solely on bees, they will not solve the fertilizing problem for you.
    Also, plants that are in seasons will evolve and grow way faster than plants that only have the sheltered status, which makes planting indoors even more ineffective. Evolution will be at 4 x normal speed in Season, growth at 2 x normal speed.
    Out Season plants will also grow 25 % slower.
    The sheltered status does not give any benefits except for you being able to harvest in whatever Season, which is btw quite realistic in my opinion.

Last but not least, your plants are also subject to decay which can lead them to die. This is not a bug, but sensible programming.

If you keept on reading until this point, congratuations.

In the end, while there are some things that are a bit wonky in tuning, you should normally be able to avoid your plants reverting to dirt by regularly fertilizing your plants with expensive fertilizer. Don't forget to also fertilize your already perfect plants. Don't get lured into not fertilizing those because they are already perfect in quality. Just because they are currently perfect in quality, it does not mean they will stay like that.

That beeing said, my slowerecofootprintchange mod as well as my gardeningfix_evolvemore mod will both help with the issue, but you can still experience it if you don't fertilize your plants because I figure there will be other events that cause a hit in evolution, growth or decay values that I did not mention here.

EDITED TO ADD: The loot_EcoFootprint_Gardening_ToNeutralSetQuality might also be a good spot to add some more tests in, like disabling it for mature cowplants.

For me (Im on PC) and my buddy who is on console, I just don't think this is the case. He doesn't have Eco Living and never uses fertilizer and gets the bug so badly that he had to give up gardening completely. Im on PC and I also never use fertilizer and also was getting this bug horrendously. Plants would either revert back to seedlings or die despite being in perfect condition....this includes the cowplant.

Just wanted to add this as it might be whats causing it for some, but its def not whats causing it for my buddy and I on two diff platforms because we don't use either of those features.
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Also indoor plants are not save from reverting to dirth piles. I mean I actually find it quite realistic that gardening results can be a nuisance sometimes but I understand that this is not fun for people relying on their gardening as a legitimate source of income.

No its not fun for those of us that have plants reverting back to seedlings very quickly after becoming adults or dying despite being in perfect condition. Its not realistic either. It makes gardening impossible and makes a very large part of the game downright unplayable for most of us.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    troshalom wrote: »
    @ilyahna get reward points for free services and hire a gardener. Then you can focus on harvesting & evolving. Plants don't revert when gardeners care for them. Also use bees to fertilize.

I can confirm this does not work :(:( . the first time I hired the gardener she didn't do her job, but the other times the plants still reverted and/or died shortly after she left.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    This method of fertilizing eats up a lot of time if I can't fertilize but one plant at a time. Have my Sims do one plant then direct them to fertilize the next one, and so on until every plant is taken care of will take hours in Sim time. Especially for my Sims with thirty or more plants in their gardens. The oddest bit in all of this is my out of season plants didn't revert to dirt piles when their season ended. They just looked brown and wilted while still needing to be cared for as if they were in season, plus they could still be harvested, but the yield was less than what it was when the plant was in season. The only time a dirt pile was present is after a seed was planted, before the plant turns into a sprout, or after some or all of the plants suddenly reverted to their just planted stage. And when these glitches started to happen, I began pulling all the plants that were out of season because the yield of harvestables didn't justify the amount of care they required. This was the way I managed my gardens until I began using different mods while searching for a solution to my plants reverting. Just before the season changed, I would go through my plants and sell the out of season ones. I stored the seeds then replanted when the time was right for that plant to be growing. The seasons in my game have always been set at 28 days so crop rotation happens less often, and my Sims get more from their gardening efforts.

Yes, this makes the gardening feature very difficult to manage when my Sims rely on different crops such as the soy wax for candle making or flowers for the florist career. And if the bug fixing team can't come up with a fix, the new plants in CL will have the same problems we have now. While watching James Turner's latest video and seeing his plants being fertilized then reverting to a dirt pile, I hoped the devs were watching and could see the mess we've been dealing with for over a year. We're down to four days before CL is released. The June patch didn't fix the problems; mods can be used to cheat our way through but none of those have been successful in completely eradicating this darn bug, and our talented mod creators have tried their hardest to get to the bottom of it. Players have sent in save files, hit the 'me too' button hundreds of times, discussed this issue in many threads, banged their heads on their desks in frustration, some have given up and moved on to other games, and some players harbor a growing resentment towards EA because of it's lack of caring about anything except how much money it can make with a minimal effort on it's part to make sure the game is playable. We, the players, are not the problem because we use mods, or play the game on PCs with lower specs. The gardening feature is borked, pure and simple. And after comparing the values being used, even I can see some of those make no sense, and I am not a mod creator with a healthy understanding of how code works. It shouldn't be left up to us to fix, or find workarounds for, something we didn't make. The only mistake we've made is trusting EA and it's creative teams to make a playable game and own the fact their efforts so far have been inept and sparse. My suggestion is to throw out that Laundry List until one of the most important features in the entire Sims franchise has been permanently fixed. If the pre-EP update on Tuesday doesn't fix 90% of what is wrong with the gardening system, I won't be purchasing CL on the 22nd. As much as I want this new pack, I just cannot justify buying something I know won't function properly.

OMG I agree with this post so much and I def don't think its always the fertilizing that is causing this. My buddy and I NEVER fertilize (he is on console and I am on PC) and we both have this bug. He also doesn't have the eco pack (I saw some mention the carbon footprint having something to do with it) and its disabled for me so it can't be that either. This is such a strange bug....I can't believe this bug has been around for AT LEAST 3 years at this point, thats actually ridiculous.
  • Options
    Yes, it is quite game breaking now for my gardening families. This never happened to me until late in the game and my first and main sim gardened for a living.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I just rotated from one household to another and all the plants were dead :'(
    It's quite irritating. I wished they'd just fix this bug once and for all.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Just last night the whole garden reverted to dirt piles, all 20 plants. I could go along with a handful going that way due to pests or whatever, maybe half, but I definitely felt no guilt as I used a testingcheat to restore them all back.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hmm only my modded plants reverted, all my other crops tend to revert back to dirt piles when they go dormant for the season. Which is annoying I hoped they’d change that back They use to.

Another thing that I hope is a glitch is when I rotate households I can’t see plants growing on dirt mounds on an inactive lot. I spent all that time reorganizing my farm, placing apple trees and such on to dirt mounds. And it looks like nothing is growing there.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    My plants and trees are still reverting to dirt clumps too. I don't have Seasons or Eco Living installed. I started a brand new game with a brand new Sim. He's living in an off-the-grid Micro Tiny home on the Key Point lot in Sulani. On Sunday afternoon he planted 4 fruit trees and 17 plants. The plants are a combination of fruit, vegetables, and herbs; plus 3 snapdragons and 3 lilies. I use the lilies for fertilizer and the snapdragons to splice with strawberries for the Freelance Botanist aspiration. His lot traits include Great Soil, Homey, and Convivial. His Lot Challenge is Off-the-Grid. He was able to harvest some of the plants on Tuesday morning and all of the plants on Wednesday morning. On Friday at 4:30 AM I watched as every plant reverted to dirt clumps. It took three days after that for the strawberry plants to generate fruit again.

I'm going to start another new save to see if fertilizing plants has anything to do with this issue. It shouldn't, but you never know. Maybe once the garden is planted he needs to stay on the lot instead of going to a library to use a computer or leaving the lot to use his phone to find an odd job or two. Maybe he shouldn't go out to socialize after work either.

Side note: I was disappointed to see that the typewriter that comes with Cottage Living is actually a computer. A typewriter for the off-the-grid lifestyle would have been a nice addition to the game instead of the gaudy paintings that were added.
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    Monaveil wrote: »
    My plants and trees are still reverting to dirt clumps too. I don't have Seasons or Eco Living installed. I started a brand new game with a brand new Sim. He's living in an off-the-grid Micro Tiny home on the Key Point lot in Sulani. On Sunday afternoon he planted 4 fruit trees and 17 plants. The plants are a combination of fruit, vegetables, and herbs; plus 3 snapdragons and 3 lilies. I use the lilies for fertilizer and the snapdragons to splice with strawberries for the Freelance Botanist aspiration. His lot traits include Great Soil, Homey, and Convivial. His Lot Challenge is Off-the-Grid. He was able to harvest some of the plants on Tuesday morning and all of the plants on Wednesday morning. On Friday at 4:30 AM I watched as every plant reverted to dirt clumps. It took three days after that for the strawberry plants to generate fruit again.

I'm going to start another new save to see if fertilizing plants has anything to do with this issue. It shouldn't, but you never know. Maybe once the garden is planted he needs to stay on the lot instead of going to a library to use a computer or leaving the lot to use his phone to find an odd job or two. Maybe he shouldn't go out to socialize after work either.

Side note: I was disappointed to see that the typewriter that comes with Cottage Living is actually a computer. A typewriter for the off-the-grid lifestyle would have been a nice addition to the game instead of the gaudy paintings that were added.

Posting an update to my previous post. I think you will find fertilizer doesn't seem to have anything to do with this issue. I want to repeat that I do not own ECO or Seasons. I have been playing some big time gardening games for a long time. Also, in the scenario I describe below, my Sim never left the lot for four days so I don't think that has anything to do with the bug. I understand that people are attempting to figure this out but it reminds me of the phrase "Occam's razor" or "the simplest explanation is usually the best one." I stand behind the idea that somewhere in that "spaghetti" of code that EA has mashed together relating to the gardening system something got messed up. I would be amazed if a modder was able to fix this.

So, I started a new "farming" game about a week ago to see what happens. I have a great base game farm lot for Willow Creek. By the way, you don't have to have Cottage living to have a "farm" lot. There are a few great base game farms that some very imaginative creators made years ago that are still available for download if you look around. Anyway, my sim is literally a "farmer." That's what he does. I had him plant at least 50 plants. Everything from tomatoes and onions to blackberries, vanilla, pears, mango's, grape vines and even a few "weed" plants. When he planted them I had him use mushrooms as the fertilizer. So we go along and on the fourth day a few of the plants are ready for harvest. I think mushrooms, onions, maybe the lemon tree. Also, every plant needed fertilizer at that point. So I had him harvest and then fertilize with the "super" fertilizer thinking that alternating fertilizers might make a difference. It did not. As he fertilized the plants they would revert. (I don't think it is the fertilizer though) About half of the 50+ plants reverted immediately. The other half were fine. (Or so I thought) My sim went to bed and in the morning when he got up every single plant had reverted to dirt piles.

As I said I do not have ECO living. However, prior to that release, (and remember whether you own the pack or not you have to install the patch). After ECO release (and the patch) the bug appeared. It has been going on since. I believe that that patch "boinked" something in the base game gardening system as prior to that gardening worked fine. So something got messed up (I think) in the gardening system itself. The "spaghetti-meisters" at EA did something to mess up the gardening system itself. Will they fix it? Forgive me for my cynicism, but I doubt it.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    Grrrrr…… my plants all reverted. This is breaking my game. I wish they would figure this out and fix it.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes, fertilizing doesn't teally have any effect on this bug. I hadn't fertilized any crops when they reverted in my Cottage Living save. They actually reverted twice until I fertilized them the first time. It continued to happen and it seems worse than ever now.
    I do cheat the reverted crops back to blooming stage and it helps but I loose one harvest every time because the plants aren't harvestable until the next morning.
    This bug is so irritating even I'm going to loose my temper soon and I'm usually very calm, especially with Sims 4.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’ve have some plants reverting still in my game also. I’m playing with Cottage Living and my sim has some plants outside and indoors. So far I’m not 100% sure but it seems to be the indoor plants that are affected mostly. It’s not bothering me a huge amount but I thought I would just add my observations of it.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    After the patch patch my plants revert even more often. They are actualy more NOT than they ARE. If you know what I mean. Very annoying.

Also the crops in the family inventory bug is very annoying :# Äaaaargh!!!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The patch just before Cottage Living did help with my gardening problem a bit. Not much, but it is better than it was. I use Scarlet/Robin's All Season Plants mod, and have been using it for about nine months. For me, it's the best one I have used, but that might depend on which packs I have and don't have. I recently disabled eight packs including 2 Eps, 2 GPs and 4 SPs in order to get rid of a lot of stuff I wasn't using, or had become bored with. After doing that I did find my gardens stopped reverting every few days, and it happens much less often than it did before. Scarlet/Robin's mod makes it easy to restore the plants to their previous stages of growth, which is helpful. So between the bug fix and the mod, I feel less stressed about it whenever my gardens do revert. The one glaring difference I have seen is the new large plants that came in Cottage Living aren't reverting along with the others. They seem to be immune, but they also have special fertilizers along with special plots where they can be planted.
  • Options
    vyvexthornevyvexthorne Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2021
    So mine seem to revert around 6am or 7am depending on the save. In cottage living world they revert every single fricken day at exactly 7am. In another save in Sulani they revert every Sunday at 6am when the seasons change (I haven't tried lengthening the calendar to see if it's actually fixed to seasons or Sunday.) and in yet another save in Willow Creek, the plants are fine.. They've never reverted. Willow Creek is my oldest save so no idea why it's unaffected.

At any rate, the one sort of workaround I've found is to first, make sure to save around 4am. Then a little before 6am I cue up harvesting and tending garden and use x3 speed until around 7:30am. This often seems to skips over whatever causes the morning revert bug. If it doesn't work then I quit out and reload the 4am save and try again. Only problem with that is that it will create duplicates of some of the crops in my household inventory which I have to either sell from there or pull out one by one if I want to sell to the grocer in town instead. It's not really a good workaround.. more of a desperate attempt of figuring out how to not lose my crops every morning.
  • Options
    PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    I always had the reverting back to dirt problem too. I don't have Eco, and I had the problem well before I ever bought seasons. Most of my gardens have a gardener looking after them. It's amazing how many years this has been going on when I read the various threads on the EA forums.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    In my game they are still reverting, I'm sorry to say. But then again, my Sims still prefer to wash their dishes in the bathroom sink, when the kitchen sink is closer, too … Face/palm. Reminds me of a knitting phrase: Knit one, pearl two. Only I think of it as fix one, break two. :open_mouth: Ah, did I just type that out loud?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm not sure if I've been lucky or not, but so far plants in the vertigal garden (Eco Lifestyle) don't revert.