Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else find it "weird" to play with lifestages older than they are?

Or is it just me?

This is just something I've noticed about myself and was wondering if I'm alone in it or not. Also thought it could be an interesting discussion.

I'm very much a young adult in real life (23 years old) and for some reason, I just find it super uncomfortable/weird/hard to play with adult or elder Sims. Like for some reason I just can't get as immersed in my gameplay and end up switching over to playing with one of my (many) young adult sims after only a few minutes of playing with an adult or elder sim.

Don't get me wrong, I still add them to my world where they can live, walk around, and what not, since it's more realistic that way. But I pretty much play exclusively with young adults (or teens since I plan on downloading the mod to let them quit school.) Like, I just can't actively play with adults or elders without it feeling "off."

Does anyone else feel this way? Or can you easily play with any lifestage?

Does anyone else find it "weird" to play with lifestages older than they are? 146 votes

Yes, I can't play with lifestages I haven't experienced yet
3%
BabykittyjadeMonaveilPhillipaErdnussAngeliqueAdelaideiamoz96 5 votes
No, playing lifestages older than me doesn't bother me
84%
crocobauraauroraael14tams2578Kita5399IcewolfIrishSimmer21alexspoom13IceyJAlexaiSikoahGraceColorist40Monet11Angel_mixPlayerSinger2010danacnbrettSleepycatDSLSimpatsyannIsb917SimburianStrangerthan 124 votes
Other (feel free to comment your thoughts)
11%
GalacticGallisamwittSPARKY1922phantasmkissCAPTAIN_NXR7OldeseadoggeAtreya33NorthDakotaGamerSERVERFRAintothehorizoneSimmingaltelemwillbella_gothmanicobsessiveKerriganchonk_floofMVG181 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,927 Member
    edited February 2021
    life simulator.. no life lasts forever :)

ETA: sorry Caleb, Vlad and Lilith , no harm done, right?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    They only reason I might ever find it a bit weird might be if I were to play a simself. But I never do that, so... I never feel awkward about playing any sim that isn't like me in real life. I mean, I don't do magic in real life, either, nor do I beat up or outright delete people that annoy me.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I just turned 42, so not a young adult, but I was 21 when I started playing Sims.
    I have always played the same way, since I moved to Sims 2 on PC from console. I stick with a Sim until they are an adult and close to being an elder or until they are an elder, then I either abandon or kill them and move on to one of their kids and start over.
    By the time a Sim reaches elder, I've done everything I wanted to do and have started to get bored with them. I've never thought about it in relation to my own age.

I do think I primarily play female Sims because I'm female though.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2021
    Yes, I can't play with lifestages I haven't experienced yet
    I know how you feel actually. I'm a young adult and I don't feel comfortable playing with elders or adults though I do use them occasionally. Mainly I play teens because they feel most relatable.
    Then kids and some young adults. Elders and adults are usually my background character sims.

Though I'm happy to have all of the lifestages we do. I don't have anything against any age. It's just what I relate to.

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,927 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I mean, I don't do magic in real life, either, nor do I beat up or outright delete people that annoy me.

Oh .. true.. but I very much would love to do that :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I mean, I don't do magic in real life, either, nor do I beat up or outright delete people that annoy me.

Oh .. true.. but I very much would love to do that :D

So would I, lol. :D
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Playing them? Nah.

I'm a writer, so writing them? Yes, absolutely.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    it doesn't feel weird though i don't really play with them, they're just around my saves.
    i play with aging off so they're usually premades i keep
  • Options
    Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2021
    It doesn't bother me, gameplay for petty much all the ages are more or less the same once your a teen, and since I created a neighborhood where all the sims have white hair, unless I get a good look at their face or catch someone throwing their hip out, I almost never notice any elders running around in my game even though I don't pause time for anyone not a legacy home.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Since I am staring 60 in the face, there are no life stages I haven't experienced yet. 😁

Ok, maybe not extreme old age, and I am not yet a grandmother, but I am comfortable playing every age.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I mean I started playing the Sims 1 when I was a teen, so most of the game was always older than me. It doesn't bother me and time goes by after playing four iterations that age is always shifting compared to my Sims. We all get a bit older each year, just apart of growing up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Playing older sims only bother me when they are self sims. That is basically why I stopped using self sims at the beginning of sims 2, the first game where sims age up to elders. I was a young adult back then but now I think I am slowly reaching the adult lifestage. So I guess I am raising the bar slowly.

When it comes to playing stories with other sims who are not based on real people, I don't mind playing older sims at all.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I didn't used to have much interest in those life stages at first either, but I think it's because I was seeing them in boring and tropish ways, like soccer moms, businessmen and fragile elderly. As if life gets boring after 30, lol.

Once I shook that off and decided that all ages can be interesting (I didn't really play many ages below teen either), I created some households that I ended up loving. I have one household called, "The Journeyman Senior Society", which I created as eight single seniors who want to go on adventures. I initially intended to take them to Selvadorada to challenge the jungle, but I've enjoyed just playing them in their little senior housing complex because their traits and characters are rather interesting. I think I'm going to take them to the slopes of Komorebi first, maybe mountain climbing and see how they do.

So my recommendation is to try something out of your comfort zone, totally different like an old Spellcaster or experienced adult Vampire or something with more humor like an eccentric grumpy neighbor with a quirky personality or crazy cat lady or paranoid, nerdy nobody who believes in Aliens and thinks their neighborhood has been invaded.

But if you just don't like playing certain age groups, that's perfectly okay too. Don't feel you have to enjoy everything in the game, just be free to play what you like to play and have fun. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm in my 50's and I don't feel any different playing with elders than younger Sims. I don't play with elders as much as younger Sims, but it's only because a lot of my Sims haven't aged up to elders yet. I play about 60 saves rotationally, so aging takes a long time. Some day there will be a lot of elders at the same time in my saves.
    I love playing all life stages (except babies), I'd be bored to play with only one or two all the time.

All you younger players... being older is not that different, I don't feel different than I did when I was a "young adult". You don't really change THAT much. You'll know it one day. ;)
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I’m technically an adult with all life stages trapped inside of me. It’s already coded in.
    For me it goes both ways. I know exactly what it feels like to be the baby. I also know what it feels like to be at the end of my ancient live.
    I have no problem playing through the entire age range.
    It’s wonderful really, The Sims.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    i play lot of sims that are nothing like me so in that sense nah

i do have few characters that are elders by choice tho

but adults not really unless its maxis sims cause ehh I just don't see point

elders and adults don't really have much gameplay i couldn't do with young adults anyway

and there can only be so many stereotypical grandma and grandpa figures in the town before it becomes dead village for youngsters

also i have lot of occults that would probably just use their youth potions or have been cursed to immortality anyway so it feels off to age them
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    No, infact I used to play with older sims as much or more as I did younger ones..... now that I’m older I tend to play with younger ones more. They need more for elders in the game.
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I like playing with different life stages!! I'm on the northside of 35 so I consider myself on the barrier between YA (I place that age group between 20 and 40)and adult. Its almost like therapy being able to visualize and play through the different life stages in a way. Its good way to get different perspective of life. Another reason why I like to play different ethnicities, genders, and orientation than my own.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nope. I always make them part of my families. Don't forget they are excellent at keeping the house and garden going, and looking after the kids after school whilst you turn out the others to earn their livings. They can also earn a pension.

Make them the grandparents or elders you have always wanted or make them evil witches. I don't care. I'm an elder myself! :)

I tend not to play with the babies and toddlers though and that might be a reverse age thing. I like to age them up fast!
  • Options
    chonk_floofchonk_floof Posts: 36 Member
    I'm quite young, so if I could only play with my life stages I could only be a teen, child or toddler. I guess I've kind of gotten used to playing with older sims!
    Whatever you are doing, always put 100% into it. Unless it's a blood donation.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I play with many different types of sims whose experiences and lifestyles don't match my own. (You could argue that even my simself is one such example, because one of us has a great life while the other plays life simulation games to create the illusion of having a great life.) I don't identify with my sims, though, so some of them being older doesn't bother me. In fact, I find younger life stages harder to play with, but that has more to do with questionable gameplay restrictions than feeling weird about it.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I play with all lifestages but i like more to play with teen - elder. I think i'ld like more to play with children if they had more stuff to do... toddlers and babies i just play a bit, just to get the feel of the hard work it is for parents, but only for a few days, then i age them up...
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have played all ages since TS1 and it doesn't bother me at all. I couldn't have done much in that game if I only played kids. In TS2 I loved how there were more lifestages to play and I still love it. Being an elder in sims is not quite the same as being an elder in real life, so I don't feel pressure about it.
  • Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    I mean I’m not really sure whether my sims elf should be child or teen. There’s way too much of a height gap.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I have no issue playing older sims.