Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You be Okay With More Animals Being Introduced Using the Same Models Already In Game?

Let's say, in theory, they added more animals (wild and/or farm), but they used the same models as the cats/dogs/small pets instead of making new ones. Not with the same animations, of course (unless appropriate), but still using the same models. I'm not sure how viable doing something like enlarging the models would be; mods that do things like that don't completely ruin the animations, in my opinion. But I'm not a 3d or a video game animator, so I'm not sure if clipping would mean you'd have to redo the animation completely or if you could just make adjustments. Would this be too immersion breaking for you guys? Personally, I'd be with it fine as long as the animations were distinctive enough.

Would You be Okay With More Animals Being Introduced Using the Same Models Already In Game? 109 votes

If it means more animals, I'm all for it!
51%
Akl500PJeanYunaalan650111SimmervillePlayerSinger2010Isb917wylmite1986catloverplayergreydonnemluckysunshinepajamajam07KhrisstyneJoybearrjcp011c2Felicity1169lovemy4ssnoepjes1210DoloresGreySupaPamPam 56 votes
Ehhh, I'd need some more convincing
21%
catmom1987alexspoom13YautjagirlKennziKaigeashcrash19BabykittyjadedoogerieDrago97232BatmanFanGirlsof2106SheriSim57Lady_BalloraForgeronjomilejintothehorizoneAngeliqueAdelaideDalekFridayCalico45temporalgodJamesSims528 23 votes
No way, way too immersion breaking
16%
crocobaurarudy8292Icewolfdrake_mccartyCopperBolttaydevkaanvardar99ChadSims2bizuktagtwinklestick johnjetVivi_WillowTreecheescaeksAmandèleskelebeeizecsonrenamed250420211402VeeDub 18 votes
Other
11%
robyngravesCAPTAIN_NXR7texxx78LoanetValeahSERVERFRAghamrick75PlumbeebDaWaterRatcody6268CayleyCarlsonBettyNewbie1 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    What does the same model mean? It has to look like a cow to be a cow. If the model is enlarged and has animations for a cow, would it look like a white and black giant German Shepherd? Or what would it look like? 😅
  • Options
    AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2021
    Duvelina wrote: »
    What does the same model mean? It has to look like a cow to be a cow. If the model is enlarged and has animations for a cow, would it look like a white and black giant German Shepherd? Or what would it look like? 😅

It's actually incredibly easy to make cows/sheep/etc using the models we have in-game. Cats and dogs are super versatile in terms of customization.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    AmTk86 wrote: »

It's actually incredibly easy to make cows/sheep/etc using the models we have in games. Cats and dogs are super versatile in terms of customization.

Okay, but then you wouldn't even notice, right? If it is bigger, that is. I'd be fine with it then!
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2021
    Other
    I don't know exactly what you mean by using the same model... but i do want horses and pigs! I want a family that has a pig that sleeps in their bathtub in San Myshuno 🤣
  • Options
    AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    Okay, a lot of people are confused about what I mean by model. It's basically the base in which the animators use to create different animations. Take adult sims, both male and female. Teen-elder, along with female and male sims, uses the same model so the development team can use the same animations throughout these age/gender groups without any issues. However, if someone were to say, apply these animations to a child sim (which uses a different model) the animations would become messed up. If you've ever seen a child sim stretch unnaturally in you're game, this is why. What I'm advocating for is using the same base model so as to not have to start from scratch.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Other
    Okay, a lot of people are confused about what I mean by model. It's basically the base in which the animators use to create different animations. Take adult sims, both male and female. Teen-elder, along with female and male sims, uses the same model so the development team can use the same animations throughout these age/gender groups without any issues. However, if someone were to say, apply these animations to a child sim (which uses a different model) the animations would become messed up. If you've ever seen a child sim stretch unnaturally in you're game, this is why. What I'm advocating for is using the same base model so as to not have to start from scratch.

Oh ok... well, as long as the similarities aren't perceivable, i'ld be ok...
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Other
    It would depend heavily upon the animal. Sims animals aren't using anything like Daz 3D's genesis base, let alone dynamic rigging. Some animals would work, of course, but stretching a large Dog into a properly sized horse or an adult cow (as opposed to a calf), for example, is probably going to result in a lot of mesh and rigging issues. Now, if you kept it say... sheep or goat sized, then it would probably work. In the same way, you could probably use cats and small dogs for Rabbits and skunks.

But they'd almost certainly need new rigging, or at least new joint parameters, as many of these animals move differently too. And once you get to that point, the question becomes which is the more efficient route... starting fresh with a new mesh and new rigging, or altering the old to work. Depending on the project, sometimes starting fresh is actually the better route.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think I would be pretty OK with that. Not a biggie. I think a goat or a sheep or maybe even a pony would be make-able from a large dog. Or a donkey! OMG yes, I want a donkey. I need donkey in The Sims 4!!! What a splendid idea, lol.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    I think it'd make sense if they'd reuse the existing dog rigs to animate wolves for a Werewolves pack.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

It's actually incredibly easy to make cows/sheep/etc using the models we have in-game. Cats and dogs are super versatile in terms of customization.

Yeah, but they don't move or sound like cows, sheep, etc.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Other
    I'm not sure you know how the animators create new models. They start with what are basically skeletons. The trouble is that cows and pigs don't move anything like dogs or cats or even horses - and you WOULD notice, it would look so weird - so the animators would have to research that too.

They will be using the same ENGINE to create the models, but they won't have anything to go from.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    I don't know, I think the same models would work for some animals but what? (wolves for werewolves maybe)!
    I think they need some really specific animals that can use thoses models or inexistant ones (dragons for exemple)
    If they put Horses, goats, birds (we never know, customizable birds could be possible) the models have to be different.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes I would especially if it meant we were getting wild animals and marine life for zoo/aquarium exibits. I want to take my sims to the zoo for a family outing. Same with the aquarium exibit.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Yes I'd be fine with this. I agree too, farm animals, wild animals, bring on the zoos aquariums and safaris!
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    ive seen the mods that use the structure of the existing animals in game, and its off-putting.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited January 2021
    Other
    It depends on the animal. There is no way Maxis will create new animals using the cats & dogs models if the animation causes clipping or if the animal doesn’t behave as it should. That’s completely unprofessional, will look bad on a devs CV and it’s not what the customer pays for.

I’m all for new animals though. Big horses. Small ponies. Sheep. Mythical beasts. Shapeshifters. You name it. Without the clipping. Just the proper stuff.

If the animal is not done well and doesn’t act like the animal it’s meant to be, I’d rather not have it in my game at all.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    I would like some primate sims, they'll function the same way as normal sims, like gorillas, chimps and monkeys. they'll even have their own walking style.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Other
    Very few other animals move like cats and/or dogs. Horses especially don't move anything like big cats and dogs. In fact horses are one of the hardest things to animate that exist.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    No thank you. I really want more animals, but then it has to be done properly. I already hate the fact that the raccoon is basically just a cat. It sounds like a raccoon but every animation is that of a cat which is super immersion breaking.

No disguises please. Just to them properly.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited January 2021
    Seeing that I have (among other cc animals) a miniature unicorn on a dog base that barks occasionally, and that my sims stow their cc horses in their inventories, because they are technically bicycles, nope, I wouldn't be bothered at all by re-using the old models.

Can't see it working for birds cloned from rodents, they just need an option to fly. But a lot of other animals are doable.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Other
    I don't want the animals to take up household space.
    I want the horses to look & act like horses.
    I want Chickens & Pigs to turn into dinner.
    I want Birds to fly & catch worms.
  • Options
    CayleyCarlsonCayleyCarlson Posts: 18 Member
    Other
    I’d rather have animals as sort of advanced items, maybe they can wander around and autonomously do a couple actions, and have a bunch of interactions! Ex:

Cow autonomously wanders around field. Munches grass, sleeps in barn.

If there is no fence, perhaps cow can escape and run away. Perhaps he returns with some weird thing that gives you a strange object, moodlet etc.

Cow can produce milk. With X skill, you can get different types of milk for rewards or moodlets.

You can pet the cow or lead it to barn/pasture. You can feed the cow different foods to make it produce different milks.

If you don’t interact nicely with the cow enough, perhaps it produces a bad moodlet milk, and/or it can trample you, break your fences and run away!

I def think horses might be a more dog-like animal, in that they might be a family member or something like in TS3. I don’t think that using a dog model is feasible.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    If they can get a head start for new animals by using work they already did on existing ones, sure why not.

It all depends on what kind of animal they are going for. A horse would obviously need a skeleton in a different proportion than cats or dogs and it's own animations.
    But they could use cat or dog animations as a starting point (not just a downright copy!) for other animals of that size. For example wolves in a werewolf game pack would be awesome. They can definitely benefit from the dogs we have in game.

I hope we get fantastical animals like pet dragons or unicorns at some point.
  • Options
    BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    Horse, man's second best friend! The game (especially if cats and dogs ep owned) won't feel complete without them. Actually I'd like horses over cars, even sims medieval lacks the equine buddies. I mean what kind of monarch would walk everywhere? I also think adding wild animals would be great especially in worlds like selvadorada.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Um...yes please! I think a farm would be awesome! And I miss the horses so much! I played that option all the time in Sims 3.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg