Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ignore this
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I prefer James for building. Not a fan of the other one at all

But can we agree that lilsimsie's builds are at least twice as good as EA's?

The only build I’ve seen her do was the one where she fixed the Strangerville home. Yeah it bad they just copy and pasted a base game home but hers was meh. I don’t care to look at her builds
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member

The only build I’ve seen her do was the one where she fixed the Strangerville home. Yeah it bad they just copy and pasted a base game home but hers was meh. I don’t care to look at her builds

Not really an informed opinion, then, but OK.
  • Options
    I saw Plumbella's hands-on, it truly is upsetting to see. Not purchasing. Because there is simply nothing to do.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

I must say that (and please don't take this as an attack on her) her earlier builds were better. I find that she forgets to playest or fall into the "too much decorations" traps more these days. Especially on non-residental lots.

(A typical example is at least two of her restaurants that needs quite a lot of TLC before they are actually functional, with tables in the way, blocked kitchen doors and other problems).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2020

One of my favorite builds from lilsimsie is her version of Magic HQ from Realm of Magic.

6akhdNl.jpg

It's also really needed because Maxis barely tried with that house.

I don't think we will see many builds from her when it comes to Journey to Batuu though.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I for one I'm really happy with the fact that they're focusing on improving communication and transparency!

They've only been trying for 4 years now but I'm sure they'll get it right this time! /S
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @logion oh, I have that magic hq in my game! I only downloaded it about 4 days ago, I really like it.
  • Options
    > @logion said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > One of my favorite builds from lilsimsie is her version of Magic HQ from Realm of Magic.
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > It's also really needed because Maxis barely tried with that house.
    >
    > I don't think we will see many builds from her when it comes to Journey to Batuu though.

That's so super super super pretty!!
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    @logion oh, I have that magic hq in my game! I only downloaded it about 4 days ago, I really like it.

I am not a fan of that one. Most of the magic HQ rebuilds don't take into account that they need room inside to duel or they troop outside every time. Took me quite a while to find one that was practical.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2020
    CelSims wrote: »

I am not a fan of that one. Most of the magic HQ rebuilds don't take into account that they need room inside to duel or they troop outside every time. Took me quite a while to find one that was practical.

That might be less of a problem with the lots more with TS4's really weird routing in general. Quite often, I've made rooms or lots specifically for my sims to have enough space to perform certain actions, just for them to go outside and do it. This includes magic duels and vampire sparring (and, strangely enough, playing the guitar...and knitting.).

Just another big mystery, right up there with sims walking across the lot to wash dishes in the bathroom, when the kitchen sink is five feet away. Or standing up to eat in the kitchen, when the dining room is next door. "Smarter Sims", am I right? XD
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »

That might be less of a problem with the lots more with TS4's really weird routing in general. Quite often, I've made rooms or lots specifically for my sims to have enough space to perform certain actions, just for them to go outside and do it. This includes magic duels and vampire sparring (and, strangely enough, playing the guitar...and knitting.).

Just another big mystery, right up there with sims walking across the lot to wash dishes in the bathroom, when the kitchen sink is five feet away. Or standing up to eat in the kitchen, when the dining room is next door. "Smarter Sims", am I right? XD

Ha yes, a good half of my mods must be things that fix basic stuff like 'Dont wash dishes where you angry poop'. Spellcasters especially drive me insane, you are in the middle of a room with space enough to wave your arms around, why do you need to go outside to cast Scruberoo? Ugh!
  • Options
    > @Onverser said:
    > The blatant recycling from Outdoor Retreat in this pack is bothering me. Firstly they put tents in (which were previously exclusive to OR) and then there's a neighborhood which is basically a replica of outdoor retreat...
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It just feels like this pack is "how can we recycle existing assets to make something with minimal effort!". This neighborhood literally has the exact style of granite falls, the waterfalls, the rocks surrounding the area, the paths weaving through the world, the camping, etc etc. If you got rid of the random space things this would literally be granite falls.
    >
    > So many other things are from other packs, lightsaber battles are the same as spellcaster duels, reputation is a get famous feature, changing the area is an eco lifestyle feature, the "story" panels are the same as the ones in strangerville, etc etc

more recycled content...can they not come up with new ideas?
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    I hate Disney Star Wars with a fiery passion. This pack is a hard pass for me.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    https://youtu.be/N5f3r578WOs
    Pixelade brings up some valid points here, I feel like.

Personally I'm still not convinced about the "aliens." I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Even if the masks are animated (which is a really cool touch, don't get me wrong), I fear there might still be too much immersion breaking going on.

What I mean is... Sure you can wear the masks and pretend your Sim is an alien -- or, more accurately, 3/4 an alien. Sure the other Sims will "treat them like they're aliens" (whatever that means). But what happens when they go to take a shower and the mask pops off? They're only an alien sometimes? What about if I want to send my "alien" to Sulani for a swim? I'd hate to see how they'd look in a swimsuit, considering the "hat" only applies to certain parts of the body.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Idk. We'll just hafta see, I guess! 🤷

(Edit...typo...urgh...)
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited September 2020
    LemDoodle wrote: »

Personally I'm still not convinced about the "aliens." I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Even if the masks are animated (which is a really cool touch, don't get me wrong), I fear there might still be too much immersion breaking going on.

What I mean is... Sure you can wear the masks and pretend your Sim is an alien -- or, more accurately, 3/4 an alien. Sure the other Sims will "treat them like they're aliens" (whatever that means). But what happens when they go to take a shower and the mask pops off? They're only an alien sometimes? What about if I want to send my "alien" to Sulani for a swim? I'd hate to see how they'd look in a swimsuit, considering the "hat" only applies to certain parts of the body.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Idk. We'll just hafta see, I guess! 🤷

(Edit...typo...urgh...)

That’s why this definitely should been a spin off game like Sims Medieval was. James Turner even mentions it on his gameplay video! But someone on the comments mentions-and I agree- EA knew spin off games are less profitable, and if they made it separate but sims 4 GP, then it’d force SW fans who want to play to purchase the base game as well, which can lead to them buying more add on packs if they are intrigued to play more Sims 4. Which sucks, but they made a business choice rather than thinking of their current long term players🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Just sharing this here. I thought Carl did a fair article about it:
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/gamepacks/starwars/opinion.php

Yep that about sums is up.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I saw Plumbella's hands-on, it truly is upsetting to see. Not purchasing. Because there is simply nothing to do.

Yeah I have been watching a few and that pack looks BORING. WOW
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    LemDoodle wrote: »

(Edit...typo...urgh...)

That’s why this definitely should been a spin off game like Sims Medieval was. James Turner even mentions it on his gameplay video! But someone on the comments mentions-and I agree- EA knew spin off games are less profitable, and if they made it separate but sims 4 GP, then it’d force SW fans who want to play to purchase the base game as well, which can lead to them buying more add on packs if they are intrigued to play more Sims 4. Which sucks, but they made a business choice rather than thinking of their current long term players🤷🏻‍♀️
    You are so, so right about this! I watched James Turner's video too, and I appreciate that even though he was/is excited for the pack, he can still see the flaws that are there and call attention to them and/or make suggestions. I totally agree that this could have been so much better as a spin-off game, and they could have added much more depth to it if that were the case, I'm sure.

I think some folks don't realize that...a lot of us "complaining" are only doing so because...surprise surprise, we want the game to be better. We know it can be better. We want it to actually be as deep as it's being marketed as. I understand I don't speak for everyone, but... I just feel like the shells and the aliens-that-aren't-really-aliens just...makes me see otherwise. I've said it before, but if this game offered more, and if it wasn't just a (very pretty) layer of Star Wars paint slapped on an empty, bare-bones Sims experience, I'd actually be excited for it too. Because the Sims has an amazing thing about it that irl Galaxy's Edge doesn't (and never will): it's a video game. Unlike the real attraction, they don't have to be humans wearing costumes. They can just be actual aliens, doing amazing things that aren't possible in reality. Because, since apparently they've thrown reality out the window at this point (and more power to 'em I say), why not actually take it all the way?

Totally understand where EA is coming from as a business. This will for sure get non-Sims players to give the game a try and I'm all for that. But what about when they finish the three quests? And they're out ~$80 and wondering why their Sims have to go back to "boring" Willow Creek... They were expecting a Star Wars experience, and now they have to play...the Sims? I understand, as a regular Sims player, where my expectations should be -- what experience I should be anticipating. But new players don't have that luxury. Just like Pixelade said, and as I've said, this just doesn't feel like a Sims game at it's core... Still, I'm hoping that's just me being cynical, and that people buying this pack will actually enjoy what the Sims has on offer. Because personally I really enjoy the game, even without all the Star Wars stuff.

On a separate (but related) note, since I'm already here... I'm also not understanding the explanation as to why nearly all the buildings are empty shells. I get they don't want us to get bogged down in loading screens, but... *awkwardly looks at the entirety of TS4* Where's this energy with literally every other world? I'm used to the closed world experience by now. It's what I've come to expect. My Sim can walk around any world and see all the buildings there, and I would have to wait for a loading screen to enter each one. I really don't see the difference. Matter of fact, if they had added interiors to the buildings, it could've been amazing! Has anyone seen the interior of Savi's Workshop at Galaxy's Edge? It's stunning, and I would have adored to see it (and other shops/buildings) brought to life in this pack much like Oga's Cantina. Not to mention that actually constructing a lightsaber looks like a lot more fun than the pop-up menu on offer in-game.

3lRhA8z

TL;DR: I'm fine with the fact that this is a Star Wars pack. I just wish it was a better Star Wars pack. Maybe that's asking for too much. Maybe that's greedy of me. And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I do genuinely believe that all Simmers, whether they've been playing since Sims 1 or this will be their first ever Sims game, deserve the best experience. Not a half-baked one.
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    The blatant recycling from Outdoor Retreat in this pack is bothering me. Firstly they put tents in (which were previously exclusive to OR) and then there's a neighborhood which is basically a replica of outdoor retreat...
    Batuu:
    FNUBmgT.png

Granite Falls:
    secret-area.jpg

It just feels like this pack is "how can we recycle existing assets to make something with minimal effort!". This neighborhood literally has the exact style of granite falls, the waterfalls, the rocks surrounding the area, the paths weaving through the world, the camping, etc etc. If you got rid of the random space things this would literally be granite falls.

So many other things are from other packs, lightsaber battles are the same as spellcaster duels, reputation is a get famous feature, changing the area is an eco lifestyle feature, the "story" panels are the same as the ones in strangerville, etc etc

Wow, it does look like granite falls changed around a bit. This is the issue a lot players been pointing out about the "world's". They all look the same or similar, even willow creek and newcrest look the same.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@CelSims well she doesn't really play the game so :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I think we must if given out a record number of likes and awesomes XSSsVcU.jpg
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

Lilsimsie is one of my favorites builders B)

She has such a great catalog of improved EA homes she renovated B)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon