Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    No real aliens, No baby's or children, only masks. It's one long Halloween Party. Please nobody try to say this is another lifeform. (Vampire, Ghost, etc. I'm so disappointed. Giving us surprises is not working for them. Here's a thought, give us Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 all wrapped up in one package. Take everything we love about each game and put it together. It would be to their benefit. We would be so shocked and excited we wouldn't be complaining about anything, at least for a long while. We would be to busy playing.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/N5f3r578WOs
    Pixelade brings up some valid points here, I feel like.

Personally I'm still not convinced about the "aliens." I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Even if the masks are animated (which is a really cool touch, don't get me wrong), I fear there might still be too much immersion breaking going on.

What I mean is... Sure you can wear the masks and pretend your Sim is an alien -- or, more accurately, 3/4 an alien. Sure the other Sims will "treat them like they're aliens" (whatever that means). But what happens when they go to take a shower and the mask pops off? They're only an alien sometimes? What about if I want to send my "alien" to Sulani for a swim? I'd hate to see how they'd look in a swimsuit, considering the "hat" only applies to certain parts of the body.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong, but... Idk. We'll just hafta see, I guess! 🤷

(Edit...typo...urgh...)

They have solved it by making everything more limited, which is one reason why I don't like what they have done with some things in this pack. It's a step backwards, they don't have any other outfit categories on Batuu, you can't even play as an alien on Batuu and if you want to play as an alien from Batuu in Sulani as you said, their masks are not going to work.

This is not game development, this is reducing the game itself to fit a Star Wars theme, while the theme is nice looking which will probably please people who like Star Wars, it's...just a shell.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Errrrrr... does anyone know how much this pack will be? (UK) I assumed as it's a GP it would be £17.99...but I've just seen a website that I usually purchase from listing it at £39.99 reduced to £22.99???? That's an Expansion Pack price? Surely an error...
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited September 2020
    Holiday wrote: »
    Errrrrr... does anyone know how much this pack will be? (UK) I assumed as it's a GP it would be £17.99...but I've just seen a website that I usually purchase from listing it at £39.99 reduced to £22.99???? That's an Expansion Pack price? Surely an error...

The same as any other GP in your country. It not for sale yet because it doesn’t list on origin until release time. And yeah, it’s £22.99 on that site because that’s a 3rd party site. They’re not always gonna you give you a deal.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've complained that JtB seemed a big fat paid add for Disney's resort since the moment we got the Gamescon announcement together with another SW game and Lego SW game.

I was questioning myself about why we couldn't get a generic Sixam expansion albeit influenced by SW in the same way we can tell Strangerville and RoM are heavily influenced by other franchises.

I thought it was bad. Oh boy! Turns out I knew nothing! It's not even a supernatural expansion! There are no aliens! Those are just masks! Batuu isn't even an alien world! It's an effing vacation destination like Disneyland but without the rides!

BB is, for the most part, horrible. Build wallpapers and floorings come in very little swatches, buy items are oversized, no new bathroom or kitchen stuff but they've added THREE new bars (curved one is cool though). The only things I liked were some of the ceiling lamps and annindustrial looking wall shelf.

The whole Batuu is filed with rabbit holes with only two accessible buildings. Quests are repetitive, androids seem to only work as moving radios outside Batuu and you can only purchase them in Batuu (no integration with DU), no new traits...

I'm not the biggest fan of supernatural play and occult sims but I feel this is a slap in the face for those who really wanted more fleshed out aliens and sci-fi stuff. The pack is literally a themed park.
    Happy simming!
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Boy I wish this was the only thread....

What does it matter?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    I saw a Tweet that somehow made me more annoyed with this pack than I already was.

That, and the fact that the new "aliens" aren't even full-body costumes...

I won't be buying this. Not now or even when it's on sale. I'll enter giveaways, just to complete the collection, but other than that I don't see what use this pack could be for me. Like, I've never seen a single Star Wars movie. This isn't even like previous supernatural packs. With them, you could make your own story. Realm of Magic made allusions to other franchises, but I could still play out a story of my own choosing. This doesn't do that. It's a very specific franchise aimed at a very specific audience and it isolates other Sims fans. Even Strangerville added more to the game, because at least once the story was done, there was an actual world you could play in.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    The blatant recycling from Outdoor Retreat in this pack is bothering me. Firstly they put tents in (which were previously exclusive to OR) and then there's a neighborhood which is basically a replica of outdoor retreat...
    Batuu:
    FNUBmgT.png

Granite Falls:
    secret-area.jpg

It just feels like this pack is "how can we recycle existing assets to make something with minimal effort!". This neighborhood literally has the exact style of granite falls, the waterfalls, the rocks surrounding the area, the paths weaving through the world, the camping, etc etc. If you got rid of the random space things this would literally be granite falls.

So many other things are from other packs, lightsaber battles are the same as spellcaster duels, reputation is a get famous feature, changing the area is an eco lifestyle feature, the "story" panels are the same as the ones in strangerville, etc etc

Nothing like.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    For people worried about the aliens not being full aliens, would it not be possible to make them aliens in CAS and apply the new alien outfits as their everyday disguise?
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    For people worried about the aliens not being full aliens, would it not be possible to make them aliens in CAS and apply the new alien outfits as their everyday disguise?

Probably, but that's not the issue. The aliens would have to wear specific outfits or else their base skin will show, and I'm guessing their children will not be able to look like their "species." It would be completely fine by me if these costumes were just costumes, but they needed to be full-body and available for all ages.
  • gemjas wrote: »
    I saw a Tweet that somehow made me more annoyed with this pack than I already was.

I won't be buying this. Not now or even when it's on sale. I'll enter giveaways, just to complete the collection, but other than that I don't see what use this pack could be for me. Like, I've never seen a single Star Wars movie. This isn't even like previous supernatural packs. With them, you could make your own story. Realm of Magic made allusions to other franchises, but I could still play out a story of my own choosing. This doesn't do that. It's a very specific franchise aimed at a very specific audience and it isolates other Sims fans. Even Strangerville added more to the game, because at least once the story was done, there was an actual world you could play in.

how unfortunate. They are clearly over-hyping this pack.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    gemjas wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »

Probably, but that's not the issue. The aliens would have to wear specific outfits or else their base skin will show, and I'm guessing their children will not be able to look like their "species." It would be completely fine by me if these costumes were just costumes, but they needed to be full-body and available for all ages.

I see, hopefully they will update them at some point. Or maybe when they release the updated skins, they will include some that match the costumes so it's less obvious they are costumes.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member

Recycling content and the same animations from another pack is a complete scam/rip off and shouldnt even be justified in the sims community. People need to stop giving ea excuses, they're multi billion dollar company and all they can do is give you is star wars advertisement pack with reused animations? I'm not fan either but if I was I wouldnt buy it either.
    giphy.gif

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I read the letter a few times. With better communication and transparency, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm glad they seem to want to make an effort to improve it and hopefully it won't end in more questions than answers.

As for it taking time for them to do stuff, I think everyone knows that. But these have been things requested for a while, including bug fixes depending on when the pack or patch they originated from was released. It's not like some of these things were just brought up a year ago. Most of the concerns aren't recent. They could've been squashed things and soothed tensions back then with better communication and not ignoring or writing off a good portion of their consumers concerns. It'd be one thing if it was just a few random players saying something but some stuff like improving babies or cars has been mentioned by a lot players from the start and the calls kept growing. Something feeling off or missing has been repeatedly mentioned by players as well and they clearly have some idea as to what it is because they asked in a survey about deepening existing content.
    Deepening the existing content
    • Long term desires
    • Connections to family members outside of the household
    • Being born with traits
    • Short term desires
    • Control of Sims that are not currently on the active lot
    • Emotions
    • Consequences of making or breaking relationships
    • Developing traits over time
    • Family evolution outside the household

Also, not everyone is on Twitter so I hope they do take advantage of their own site more. Instead of having to bounce from one guru twitter page to the next or checking sites that deal with The Sims it'd be nice to be able to come directly to the main source. It also helps cut down on confusion because on twitter two gurus may say two conflicting things whereas just summing it up on their site is a more unified response.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    3 DAYS!!

Please stop trying to de rail the thread.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I think I was most disappointed to find out Lyndsey pushed this pack and not EA. Like why? There had to be SOME EA influence because honestly this is so random, and to theme it after a place most can’t even visit (Disney) is weird too....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Recycling content and the same animations from another pack is a complete scam/rip off and shouldnt even be justified in the sims community. People need to stop giving ea excuses, they're multi billion dollar company and all they can do is give you is star wars advertisement pack with reused animations? I'm not fan either but if I was I wouldnt buy it either.

Exactly!
    This isn’t a indie game, there should be no excuses.
  • sheronparrissheronparris Posts: 64 Member
    I agree with everything said here. I did a video on this on my channel. They really don’t care about us (if they ever did). The Sims 4 isn’t what the latest iteration in the Sims Franchise needs to be. At all.

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Ayy, back at it again with more of my trademark long-winded complaining! 😜

So I'm watching James Turner's playthrough of the pack, and... Well, I'm going to be going into a little detail on the missions, so I'll put them in the spoiler tag just in case anyone who still wants to play happens by~

Spoiler Alert: It's just Sims talking. It's... So far, it's literally just Sims walking...and talking. I have been desperately trying to watch videos to try and give this pack a fair shake. Believe it or not, I want to like it. I want to be excited about it, but man... It's so boring! And that's not the fault of James Turner (at least not for me; I absolutely love his videos), because in my opinion he's entertaining. I love watching his Rags to Riches challenges especially -- so much drama and chaos!

But this...I just keep...accidentally tuning it out and getting distracted by other stuff. Then I have to rewind and start over and...then...I tune it out again, so on and so on. And then, whenever it sounds like something exciting is happening, I look over and...it's text. Just text and a beautifully illustrated picture. Or! I'll hear an excited "Ooh, look at that!" And...it's an inanimate object you can scan...or a pile of scrap you can rummage through... Or, better yet, a supply crate you can "open." And by "open," I mean that your Sim walks up to it, stands in front of it, and then voila, you've got new stuff in your inventory! They couldn't even animate them opening the supply crates? Really?

So far he is playing on the side of the First Order, and the most "gameplay" I've seen is when you arrest people. And you know what all that entails? You fight the Sim (base game slap-fight style), and then you both walk to a spaceship that the "criminal" dissolves into. So far the most unique animation I've seen is when Kylo Ren gets mad at you -- he whips out his lightsaber and force-chokes you (meaning that he chokes you with The Force™, not...literally choking you lol). That's pretty funny, actually! But...I can imagine it getting real repetitive real fast.

As excited as James is about this pack, I do genuinely feel bad when I hear his disappointment with certain things. There was a moment when he saw a room that looked really cool, and he was so pumped, and then... "Can I do anything in here? No...? Okay..." Like...man, that's a shame. I genuinely hate that for him. But o' course, I don't want to put words in his mouth or anything! He definitely seems much more excited than disappointed, so that's good~

But yeah... The "gameplay" is confusing to me... 'Cause whenever I think of Star Wars, the first thing I think of is definitely those iconic scenes when they...just stood around and talked to each other. 👌

That being said, the more I see the lovely Trash Renrut stomping around in her immaculately-modeled Storm Trooper outfit in a stunning world which I know is almost totally empty, I just... Man... I'm still interested in elements of this pack. The droids look like fun, and I love a good lightsaber as much as the next guy. But for me, those two items are not worth $20. Maybe $5-$10. But I just will not pay full price for an empty world, incomplete alien skins, and pop-up text boxes.

Also watching this "gameplay" makes me question the reason our Sims can't romance Kylo or Rey. Like... Yeah, they look real busy...just...standin' there waitin' for your Sim to talk to 'em... 😬 Just admit you guys are Reylo shippers! No one'll judge ya -- it's canon!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    Ayy, back at it again with more of my trademark long-winded complaining! 😜

So I'm watching James Turner's playthrough of the pack, and... Well, I'm going to be going into a little detail on the missions, so I'll put them in the spoiler tag just in case anyone who still wants to play happens by~

Spoiler Alert: It's just Sims talking. It's... So far, it's literally just Sims walking...and talking. I have been desperately trying to watch videos to try and give this pack a fair shake. Believe it or not, I want to like it. I want to be excited about it, but man... It's so boring! And that's not the fault of James Turner (at least not for me; I absolutely love his videos), because in my opinion he's entertaining. I love watching his Rags to Riches challenges especially -- so much drama and chaos!

But this...I just keep...accidentally tuning it out and getting distracted by other stuff. Then I have to rewind and start over and...then...I tune it out again, so on and so on. And then, whenever it sounds like something exciting is happening, I look over and...it's text. Just text and a beautifully illustrated picture. Or! I'll hear an excited "Ooh, look at that!" And...it's an inanimate object you can scan...or a pile of scrap you can rummage through... Or, better yet, a supply crate you can "open." And by "open," I mean that your Sim walks up to it, stands in front of it, and then voila, you've got new stuff in your inventory! They couldn't even animate them opening the supply crates? Really?

So far he is playing on the side of the First Order, and the most "gameplay" I've seen is when you arrest people. And you know what all that entails? You fight the Sim (base game slap-fight style), and then you both walk to a spaceship that the "criminal" dissolves into. So far the most unique animation I've seen is when Kylo Ren gets mad at you -- he whips out his lightsaber and force-chokes you (meaning that he chokes you with The Force™, not...literally choking you lol). That's pretty funny, actually! But...I can imagine it getting real repetitive real fast.

As excited as James is about this pack, I do genuinely feel bad when I hear his disappointment with certain things. There was a moment when he saw a room that looked really cool, and he was so pumped, and then... "Can I do anything in here? No...? Okay..." Like...man, that's a shame. I genuinely hate that for him. But o' course, I don't want to put words in his mouth or anything! He definitely seems much more excited than disappointed, so that's good~

But yeah... The "gameplay" is confusing to me... 'Cause whenever I think of Star Wars, the first thing I think of is definitely those iconic scenes when they...just stood around and talked to each other. 👌

That being said, the more I see the lovely Trash Renrut stomping around in her immaculately-modeled Storm Trooper outfit in a stunning world which I know is almost totally empty, I just... Man... I'm still interested in elements of this pack. The droids look like fun, and I love a good lightsaber as much as the next guy. But for me, those two items are not worth $20. Maybe $5-$10. But I just will not pay full price for an empty world, incomplete alien skins, and pop-up text boxes.

Also watching this "gameplay" makes me question the reason our Sims can't romance Kylo or Rey. Like... Yeah, they look real busy...just...standin' there waitin' for your Sim to talk to 'em... 😬 Just admit you guys are Reylo shippers! No one'll judge ya -- it's canon!

As much as I’ve been irritated by some of the more lecturing types on the forum it is a shame for people who are\were excited for the game to be let down. I’ve been there and it sucks.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    What a fail, so instead using g this opportunity to expand on aliens by giving them their own language, set powers, technology, traditions etc. They just made them a costume?! People were already saying how the aliens in game were nuked and kinda bland. So theres going to be no difference between them or your sim, everyone will act the same cause everyone is just a sim walking around with a mask on. This pack is already disappointing and they made even more so by not even trying to make the planet stand out. The spaceship is also a rabbit hole.. :s this would of been a perfect pack for aliens instead. And their already coming out with another stuff pack!
    The aliens in No Man's Sky are fun. Each have their own language. Probably my favorite space travel game now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    That "gameplay" sounds like such a snoozefest. Like you said, i dont know if all of the so called missions for all of the factors play like this, but they feel very underwhelming if that is the case. I am someone who loves quests, btw, so it is not a matter of me not liking them to begin with.
  • keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    It's a $20 ad for Disney filled with empty shells, boring "gameplay," (if you can even call it that..) and ridiculous items and outfits that can't be used in any seriousness outside of the very linear storyline. It's full of recycled animations and pathetic excuses for depth and missions, and of course the pure cosmetics for the "aliens." What a joke. For this to have taken priority over anything else is insulting. How can they be proud of this? Has the community standards become so low that this kind of lackluster, obvious cash grab is acceptable? Maybe, (and that's a very strong maybe) if the base game wasn't such a mess that was still missing features, this wouldn't be so hated. But the fact is, they foolishly thought an incredibly niche pack like this was okay to put their apparently limited resources towards. Then they have the gall to say "we're listening, and we know what you all have been demanding for years, but we're going to do something else instead, so lower your expectations for the next expansion."
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Every article I read nowadays refers to this company as the second largest company IN THE WORLD.
    Their employees are amongst the most highly trained and experienced professionals in the entire world.

Yet the products the put out consistently have no standards at all, and clearly multiple people at multiple levels all the way to the top sign off on it every time.

The quality that we get is basically on par with what comes out of 8th grade summer programming camp.
    And we get charged AAA Best Quality In The World prices for it.

This company is clearly in dire need of both standards (from top to bottom) and competent professionals who can get the job done. What they are doing now is incredibly, incomprehensibly bad for the second largest company in the world.

If they are indeed serious about turning this franchise around, they need to start with themselves.
    I watched two of xUrbanSimsx videos on the pack. She didn’t want a Star Wars pack and I suspect she is bored of the game overall. Anyhow, her missions have been talking missions and even she couldn’t remember what happened in her first episode. She also said that she felt it was very slow. I did watch a bit of James and his game play is pretty much the same except he knows SW so he isn’t confused by a lot of the terminology.
    SG Romeo said there are over fifty missions?